Miscellaneous Monday - Your comfort TV show

Erica Finley August 29, 2022

hello.gif

Greetings, friends! It's been a minute since I've visited this neck of the woods, but when @Fun Man Andy asks you to craft a thread for Miscellaneous Monday (on your birthday, no less!), you enthusiastically oblige.

I've been consuming a lot of content lately, and by content, I mean all of the shows that friends and family have been recommending for many months now. "Gilmore Girls" had always been at the top of the list, and so I decided to jump in recently. I couldn't believe how much it immediately felt like a hug from a friend, complete with charming small town vibes, lightning-fast dialogue, and lovable characters. It certainly hasn't replaced my all-time favorite comfort show, "Schitt's Creek," but it feels like the perfect way to usher in my favorite season (fall) in New York.

So that begs the question: What is your all-time favorite comfort show? The one you always return to when the rest of the world feels too chaotic? Let me know in the comments. 😄

40 comments

Comment

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2022

Look who's slumming it on this side of the tracks! Happy Birthday @Erica Finley

I think my "always go back to tv-show" while not so much comforting but one to lose myself in when you just need to relax is "Stargate SG-1"

Humor/sci-fi/fun storylines and the idea that it would just be fun to be able to "escape" to other worlds. I can just rewatch these seasons forever I think :)

Like # people like this

@Dirk Ronsmans Thank you! 🎉

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2022
Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

BTW, Happy birthday, @Erica Finley !

Like # people like this

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ Thank you! 😄

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

I took a trial on Apple TV+ and watched the first 2 seasons.

I also enjoyed The Morning Show.

However, I didn't extend it because I don't find the entire catalog interesting enough.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

@Erica Finley wow! So nice to see you here (and not just on LinkedIn). Happy Birthday! 🎂

I'd agree with @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ - Ted Lasso has quickly become a binge-able comfort show. For me though it's gotta be The West Wing. No matter how crazy the world gets, I can always retreat there to see how government should really work for the people. 

Another Sorkin classic, The Newsroom, also has the same appeal to me.

Like # people like this

@Andy Gladstone Thank you! And my friends and I have definitely talked about investing in a "West Wing" marathon.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 29, 2022

Happy birthday, Mossy! So good to see you. 💙

The Office (both US and UK versions) and Friends have both been comfort-watches at various points in my life, but lately It's been The Golden Girls:

Like # people like this

@Monique vdB Thank you! 😄

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

Hi Erica and happy birthday!!

They have been so many awesome TV series over the years it's hard to pick out just one. I guess since I have to be pinned down I would have to say M*A*S*H. I don't ever recall missing it in the 11 seasons which is pretty amazing when you consider this was before the days of binging DVRs. The comedy was very witty and the characters both complex and simple at the same time.

Radar Mash GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Like # people like this

@Jack Brickey Thank you, my dear! Can we still be friends if I've never seen "M*A*S*H?" 🙈

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

Happy Birthday @Erica Finley!

I have to agree with you on the "Gilmore Girls" as I just adore that show and even the new series Netflix did was great! And I agree with @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ and @Andy Gladstone on Ted Lasso as that show is just so fun. BUT my go to is This is Us! That show just tugs at the heartstrings, makes you cry (in a good way), and has so much love in it! 

Like # people like this

@Summer_Hogan Thank you! 🙌🏼

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

Happy Birthday @Erica Finley!

Ok, first, when I saw that you had made a post, I thought this must have been a mistake, but thank you for coming back for some good old fun!

I have watched all of Gilmore Girls multiple times, and I think what I enjoy about it is the fact that they (if I read correctly) have about 60 minutes of dialogue in every 40 minute episode, which is why they talk as fast as they do so often.

My go to would have to be Power Rangers.  I grew up with and and watching it now, it's just fun and silly and it makes me laugh which is generally what I'm looking for.

I hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

Like # people like this

@Jimmy Seddon Thank you! And I haven't seen "Power Rangers" in years — what a classic.

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

Jimmy i also thought that 😂 i literally had to look at this twice cause i was like wait what?!?! haha

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2022

Happy birthday friendo!

Gilmore Girls is my wife's comfort show, she's been through it probably 6 or 7 times. And mine's roughly the same amount of watching, but is Star Trek: The Next Generation

8284865ca4a4a99ccab552926f9874f3

It just never gets old, no matter how many rewatches! (except for a super small number of clunker episodes)

Or Parks & Recreation for the comedy moods. There's a Parks & Rec quote for nearly anything 😁

Like # people like this

@Daniel Eads Thank you! You and @Brittany Joiner rep hard for "Parks & Rec." 😄

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

The HARDEST of repping!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

@Erica Finley I am told by my family boring documentary-type shows like how it's made seem to be my go-to.  Learn and veg. 

Like # people like this
Erica Finley August 30, 2022

@Brant Schroeder I love a good documentary — I've heard the new Woodstock one is good!

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

@Erica Finley happy Birthday again!!!👏🎉🎊🎁😊

I can‘t decide between „See“ with Jason Momoa and the „Nanny“ 😂 and you dragged me into „Schitt‘s Creek“ 😊 

I‘d say See 👀

giphy-downsized

Like # people like this

@nina_schmidt My friends and I watched some of "The Nanny," too!

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Happy Happy Birthday @Erica Finley!! So glad to see you around 😍

I never had the habit of watching TV shows, but in the past months, I watched a good amount of various stuff while having dinner. A new family habit, I guess (and Netflix/Amazon/HBO subscriptions, haha).

However, I found myself binge-watching Seinfeld, and it left a mark on my heart. I never watched a comedy so smart and genuine. It definitely became my island for bad days 😊

download.jpeg

Like # people like this

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ Thank you! 😄 And "Seinfeld" is such a good one.

Like # people like this
Katie_R August 30, 2022

My husband and I have been watching Seinfeld on Netflix and it's like an old friend. I watched it growing up so it is great to re-watch some of those classic episodes!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2022

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ 

Seinfeld is a great show.

Like # people like this
Isha August 31, 2022

@Erica Finley Happy belated birthday friend! So glad to see you pop in here again. My go-to comfort show is Curb your Enthusiasm.

No one makes being socially awkward more appealing than Larry David. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pex_0zg9EsE

Like # people like this
Erica Finley September 1, 2022

@Isha Thank you!

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

Happy birthday @Erica Finley !

Wonderful topic! Plenty of shows to choose from and they all feel like a warm welcome! I really can't pick one, since almost in every age I had a different one, which at that time satisfied my  age's needs ;)

With no order of preference I would say:

• Mythbusters
  • Friends
  • Sherlock
  • Once upon a time.... life
  • Big bang theory
  • South park
Like # people like this

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ Thank you! "Friends" is a classic.

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

@Erica Finley it's so good to see you here!!!!

And what a lovely thread. I'm so happy you're getting into Gilmore Girls!! Now that makes me want to rewatch it... but I'm also just getting into One Tree Hill and trying to finish all of that haha. 

As far as comfort show... wow, it's honestly a real toss up between the Office, Parks and Rec, and Friends. If you force me to pick just one it's gonna be Parks and Rec for sure, but they all three are pretty dang close!

Like # people like this

@Brittany Joiner I KNEW it. 😉

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2022

Happy B-Day @Erica Finley !!!!

My favourite comfort show is ... IT Crowd

It Crowd GIF - It Crowd Moss - Discover & Share GIFs | It ...

It makes me laugh and relaxes me thinking about my colleagues :D

Like # people like this

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ Thank you! And I haven't seen that one. 😄

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

IT Crowd.gif

Like # people like this
Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2023

@Dave Mathijs That's also my favorite! 

"I Came Here to Drink Milk and Kick A**, and I've Just Finished My Milk"

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

@Erica Finley - I would say it's the Blackadder, The IT Crowd and House MD.

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

Oh man, it is so hard to pick one. I really watch a lot of tv. I would have to say the shows that I can just watch over and over, also because I can manage to see them on my streaming platforms are The Office (USA) and Superstore. There are many, many more shows that I follow, using this app TV Time, but those are my top two.

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2022

Gotta be Mash

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

It may not be a comfort but we started the new dragon show last night.  The first episode did not fully grab me but by episode 2 I was engrossed in the characters, and wanted to know their fates.

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2022

Now I started to watch Rings of Power and The Terminal List.

Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 6, 2022

My three favorite comfort shows would be

• the Big Bang Theory
  • Friends
  • The Office 

They all helped me get through tough times but at this time I'm more drawn to 'Bones' at the moment which also got me through a tough time last year and has already helped me take my mind of things this time. 

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2022

My favourite TV shows are:

Friends 

Prison break

Family guy

They help me relax and refresh my mood. 

Thanks

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

My all-time favorite comfort show will always be FRIENDS, no matter how often I see a random episode, it always makes me laugh.

FRIENDS.jpeg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2022

I always end up going back to 

Rick & Morty Seasons 1-4 Complete Timeline: A Chronological Breakdown Of  The Madness - GameSpot

Obviously, only watchable when then two of us are together:

NicAndMorty.jpeg

(For those of you who have not yet seen this, her name is Morticia., so this photo is called ....)

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2022

Oh wow Nic - I love the meta aspect of you being in the photo on the board in the same shirt doing the same pose 😂

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2022

@Daniel Eads yep, it was a brilliant photo.  But it gets worse:

• The first photo, of Esk and I, was taken by my friend Dan
  • I gave that photo to some Community leads a few years ago when they asked for a photo that I thought might get used at the Community booth at a Summit.  It ended up in the keynote speech.  (Sorry, can't remember if it was Mo, Erica, or Stephanie who asked for it)
  • Esk died a few days after the next Summit (aged 20, so almost 100 in human years, and hence not unexpected), Morticia moved in to take her place about 8 months later, and the newer photo was taken the week she decided that it was ok to actually be with the humans rather than hiding under a sofa.
  • And it was taken by my friend Dan.
  • On the same day of the year, because it was a birthday
Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2022

Starting this series again. 

Prison Break - Rotten Tomatoes

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events