Miscellaneous Monday: What's in a name?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 23, 2020

Let's have some miscellaneous fun with names!

This weekend, one of my friends decided to play a game called "what do you think we would all be named if we weren't named our current names." He decided I would be Ingrid. So that's my "bizarro world name" and you have to find someone else to give it to you.

Your "nemesis name" is is the name everyone thinks your name is and calls you by accident. Mine is Monica

And for your "pop culture name" you have to hit up Google. For example, I just learned your Star Trek name is comprised of the first 3 letters of your last name, first 2 of your middle name and the last 2 of first name. Mine is Vancoue

So, what are your names?

6 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2020

Well, my Bizzarro World Name has to be given to me by someone else. Give it to me!

A nemesis name of mine is clearly "Tobias" - quite a few people call me accidentally Tobias now and then. I have no idea why.

According to the formula above, my Star Trek name would be Schmias. Sounds weird. And a bit like Tobias :-)

alien-1292972_640.png

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 23, 2020

Yeah I wasn't that impressed with Vancoue either. My Game of Thrones name is apparently Lord Commander Margarey Sunderly, which is better! 

Okay @Thomas Schlegel your bizarro world name is Friedrich

Like Thomas Schlegel likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2020

Better than Beyoncé 😄

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 23, 2020

@Thomas Schlegel you will always be Beyonce to me. :) 

Like Thomas Schlegel likes this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2020

My mom picked my name. If my dad had his way probably Iris or Juana, Iris because he said at least one woman in his family was always called Iris. Juana because his family also used to name their children based on the patron saint of the day they were born. 

For my nemesis name, everyone in my husband's side of the family seems completely incapable of learning or pronouncing my name correctly, most of them call me Dayma. And we have been married for almost 25 years!

For pop culture name I didn't like my Star Trek name so I found something similar for Star Wars names. First name = first 3 of first name + first 2 of last name. Last name = first 2 of mom's maiden name + first 3 of the city you were born. Mine is Dhara Rorio.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 23, 2020

@Dharma Ramos I would be so frustrated by that after 25 years! Dharma is a beautiful name too. Although I also love Iris!

My Star Wars name is Monva Valos. I like it!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2020

Ok, so my Star Wars name would be Esmcr Maeas

sounds about right!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2020

My nemesis name is Esmay - not the spelling but the pronunciation! It's actually pronounced Ez-me.

My Bizzarro World Name given to me by my husband is: Bert (thanks darling)

My Star Trek name is Crulues - well doesn't that remind me of Cruella de Vil

cruella de vil disney GIF

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 23, 2020

Bert! Are you sure this man loves you? 😂

I love the name Esme but will have to be very careful in pronouncing it!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 23, 2020

Ohh - thanks for the heads up before we talk in person. I'll rewire my brain to say it correctly Esme.

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2020

No, I’m not sure he loves me, but I am sure he’s cooking his own bloody dinner!!

Esme is a tricky one, Esmè is pronounced Esmay and so is Esmee, and nanny never got it right and always put my name as Esmeè, I think to hedge her bets! I don’t think it matters how I spell it, people pronounce it however they like! But mine is most definitely Ez-me! 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 23, 2020

What a fun thread!

Bizarro world name: The story I have been told is Mum had a name picked out for me the whole time she was pregnant. When I was born she said "Hello Kristie Rose" and my Dad responded, "Yuck I hate that name."

Nemesis name: When I worked in a call centre I answered "... you are speaking with Kat". I started noting down all the names people repeating back. Kate and Pat were common but weirdly "Janie" was given more than once?!

Pop culture name: I'm good with my Star Trek name "Warkat" :P 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 23, 2020

@Kat Warner I was adopted, and when I was growing up, kids asked if I "came with my name" like a Cabbage Patch Kid. A few years ago, a researcher found my original birth certificate and it turns out I did! The name on my birth certificate was Kate.  

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2020

@Monique vdB I love this!

As with everyone else I'm looking for my "bizarro world name".  The closest I can offer is that most people when guessing my first name, assume it's Tyler.

Perfect segue into a funny story!  My first name is not Jimmy/James, it's actually Thomas.  My parents liked James better, it you want the full version ask my during the virtual Summit ;)

Anyway, when it comes to "nemesis name", since all of my government ID lists me as "Thomas" anytime I go to the doctors I always need to prepare for the fact that I'm listening for the name "Tom".  What I find amusing is that anytime I'm waiting for something and the name they have is "James" that's what gets called, not "Jim".  However, if they have Thomas, everyone assumes I go by "Tom" So that's my nemesis name.

Being a fan of both Wars and Trek, I need to do both of these:

Stark Trek Name: Sedjaas

Star Wars Name: Thoon McLon

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 23, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon I can definitely see you as a Tyler! I am also feeling Chris for you.

Definitely not Thomas or Tom though. 

_Trello_Leader__Jodi_LeBlanc March 23, 2020

Super fun Mo! My "bizarro world name" would be Andrew, my Mom always thought she was having a boy so she had that name picked up for me. When I arrived as a girl my aunt Gail named me Jodi Lynne (middle name is Ann).

My "nemesis name" is Lori, I get called that all the time in email and in person, not sure why lol

Ha! My Star Trek Name is LeBandi - turns out that is a men's cologne:

Lencia-Le-Bandi-Edp-100ml-with-Bottle.jpg

_Trello_Leader__Jodi_LeBlanc March 23, 2020

Actually my Atlassian nemesis is this atlassian account that keeps replying to threads when I am logged in with my main account. Great news I just earned my level 2 badge! :(

download.jpg

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events