Miscellaneous Monday - Unlimited Supply

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Throughout the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, there were massive shortages of essential goods and supplies. It was only two years ago that toilet paper, KN-95 masks, hand sanitizer and bottled water shelves and aisles were empty in local stores and online.

Initially this was was due to the uncertainty of how long lockdowns in various locales would extend.

Over time the lockdowns themselves were the cause - factory closures, manufacturing grinding to a halt, and global shipping costs and delays resulted in 2+ years (and counting) of shortages of things like computer chips, paper and in the United States even coinage due to people moving away from handling cash!

This past week I have been involved in a new shortage, Baby Formula. As essential as it gets - the basic nutrition needed for many babies to develop into healthy human beings. I have been helping local charitable organizations in sourcing any and all excess baby formula so that mothers of newborns can ensure their babies have the nourishment they desperately need.

While this is a very serious shortfall, it got me thinking about what we used to assume was an unlimited supply of goods, and how we have fared as a society in coming to the realization that this world has limited resources. 

So I asked myself, and now I ask the Atlassian Community - if there was one thing that you could have an unlimited supply of, WHAT would it be? Bonus for answering WHY.

Have a Magnificent Monday and week ahead!

15 comments

Comment

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro May 16, 2022

Hi @Andy Gladstone

Hahahah, excellent question!

If I could have an unlimited supply, for sure would be sparkling water and soap, LOL.

That's the first thought that came into my mind right now. Soap because it can keep cleaned everything and sparkling water because I love water, and this one quenches my thirst. 😁

Have a wonderful Monday and week ahead too! 🤩🙏🏽

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Soap - so underappreciated! Great pick.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

I'm trying to avoid the obvious ones (money, beer, pizza, time, kittens, etc) and go for the general "new games and puzzles".  From Bridge through to Gloomhaven, crosswords to wordle, jigsaws to Lego etc.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

Like a lifetime game of the month club membership. New games shipped to you monthly that you get to keep and play whenever you want. Good idea.

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- My brain also immediately went to money and time. And then I thought "books and movies" but remembered I have a library card, which is basically unlimited. 

I like the unlimited games and puzzles idea as well, but I'm going with UNLIMITED FANCY TEA + ACCOMPANYING SUPPLIES.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

@Elizabeth Barr I had to look up FANCY TEA. Now I want to try it!

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2022

Basically, any high-quality loose-leaf blend that's $$$$$$$ :D

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

Oooh, good choice there as well.  I happen to live a minute's walk from a tea and coffee importer, and generally pick up a different leaf tea every month.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

@Andy Gladstone My answer would be Clean Water.  I feel blessed to live in a community where clean water is not an issue.  When I lived out of the united states I did not have this luxury and getting clean water was a challenge at times.  I also had some friends in the united states that had their drinking water polluted and for months they had to get bottled water.  if there is something I would want an unlimited supply of it is clean water.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

I need to think more like you. I would have chosen bottled water. Why though? Shouldn't I just want fresh water that does not cause negative impact on the environment? I need to break out of my urban city mindset.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022

I agree with Brant on water for sure but since that is taken already I would say fossil fuels. I have to wonder what the world would be like if every country had unlimited supplies. 

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2022

Beer and biryani. I was craving for these when the shops were shut :) 

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2022

Flour is now really bad over here in Europe thanks to the war in Ukraine and I've seen many effected by the formula shortage across SoMe platforms.

And this is a great question by the way...! My answer is:

Genuine love from my parents and an actual interest in what I am interested in. Hah hah!

I don't have time for the WHY today. No Bonus point.

I'd say I am a million times better than them at being a parent, but 1,000,000 x 0 is still 0. #Maths

Overall, I am just a whole different class of parent to them, I am a superstar, so I award myself a bonus point anyway #GoldStar ⭐️

Overall, looking at the state of the world, I would love if everyone could have an unlimited supply of LOVE and RESPECT for each other. So much hatred and disrespect. Crazy. 🗺❣️

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

There is no single good that is more fundamental than the others. What good is water if you have nothing to eat? What is diesel fuel for if you have nowhere to go? It is necessary that in all parts of the world, without exception, everyone has the necessary goods to lead a dignified life regardless of skin color, race, religion or sexual orientation.

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
May 26, 2022

Agree with you @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ .

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ true statement and very much agree that we need to figure out a way to provide access to essentials for all of humanity, regardless of who or where they are on this Earth.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

Great question @Andy Gladstone!  Though as I started thinking about it, I was stuck with the same conflicted question that @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ came to.

However,  The question was about getting an unlimited supply of any one thing.  So, in that case I agree with @Brant Schroeder clean water.  Bonus points for the why, any survival guide will tell you that we need access to sources of clean water more than we need food.  SO we'll go with that.

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
June 10, 2022

+1 to the clean water but also bottled water would also be having extra utilization like storage, a raft, etc.

Love this kind of question to help us rethink what could be the unnecessary objects that we are having and wasting too much daily.

Like Saralie S. likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2022

Coffee hands down 

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2022

And clean water to make coffee.

Like # people like this
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2022

Clean water to stay hydrated. 

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

Water should be our main priority, because otherwise we can't survive.

Food should be the second one, for obvious reasons.

Like # people like this
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2022

covid was reminder for using our resources with responsibility and stop unnecessary wastage

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

My fictitious answer would be: Star Trek Replicators as this technology ensures that every need of every person on this planet can be taken care off.

My real world answer: free unlimited energy, as this would give us the ability to provide for everyone.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events