Miscellaneous Monday - The timeless battle of office temperature

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2018

Happy Monday everyone!

It's that time of year again. Winter is coming. 

game-of-trones-c2-a9hbo

With the changing of the seasons, a battle draws near to control the most coveted of magical artifacts: the thermostat. For generations we have tried to make peace between the factions of the blanket tribe and the short sleeve peoples, and year after year we have failed. 

The blanket tribe are fierce warriors, and surround themselves with impenetrable armor and magical boxes that emanate heat seemingly created in a dragon's belly.

48526_6952

The people of the short sleeve are immune to such temperature changes. Their war cry echoes across the land "Put on more clothes!" They harness the elemental power of wind to cool their surroundings - much to the dismay of the blanket tribe. 

9d65be38bbe0948fc5039ffcfaf32f8c6bedbedc_hq

Both factions have utilized underhand tactics to affect change on the magical thermostat, and it seems like there will be no peace in the land.

The time has come for you to choose your side: will you fight for what is cold or that which is hot?

7 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2018

We don't have control of the thermostat. The radiators just heat as they please. :(

My tactic is to wear a t-shirt under my sweatshirt so I have a layer to shed when it is too warm. Onion tactic. And this way I can show off all my cool Atlassian t-shirts in surprise. ;)

Atlassian-Shirt-Tribe? Yay?

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2018

Yaaaaa!!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2018

I'm totally with @Sloan N_ B_ - onion tactic is the only thing that works.... Just need more cool Atlassian swag ;) but you can count me in for the tribe.

It may take a while to take off all the clothes (see gif) cause one of my co-workers opens all windows in the morning and leaves for breakfast and coffee for nearly half an hour

Dress up like this 

giphy

My opinion: Many people died because of cold but not many because of stench ;) So Team Warm here joining Atlassian Shirt Tribe

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2018

I'm loving Atlassian shirt tribe. I probably have enough by now to fuel a wardrobe. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2018

@Meg Holbrook I feel like I always run about 10 degrees warmer than the average bear, so I definitely prefer things cooler, but I do keep a sweater on my chair, in case of emergency. 😉

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2018

When I'm cold I put on a sweater. When I'm warm I take off my sweater. 

DangerousIgnorantDeviltasmanian-small.gif

Carl K November 1, 2018

Recently taking over managing building infrastructure, which includes the temperate control, I find my inbox to be full of competing service requests.  I think this war is unwinnable and may continue for generations to come. 

Things I have learnt since starting this role:

1. If they can change it they will, so lock that thermostat down!
  2. Generally there is someone too hot within a 3m radius of someone too cold.
  3. "It never used to be like this" or "It's always been like this" seem to be common phrases.
  4. The people that like it cold are far more polite and chilled (pun sorry) than the people that are always cold.
  5. Service technicians really have it tough
Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2018

You, sir, are a saint for taking this on. I can't imagine having to deal with these types of things daily.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2018

Working from home I crank the heat up on cold days, and open the window on warm days. - my furry coworker Max doesn't mind either way. Dogs are great like that. I also have a blanket on the back of my chair, and drink tea all day which keeps me toasty warm during the winter. Speaking of winter, got our first snow fall here last night, it was beautiful. Then turned to freezing rain, and now it is gusting 90km/hr winds. Winter is so unpredictable in Canada, just like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get (couldn't resist Forrest Gump).

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2018

I am of the onion tribe myself.  Fortunately, I have plenty of Atlassian and DevOpsDays-Austin t-shirts to always be sporting a cool inner layer.  Then I have this awesome and highly prized Atlassian AUG Leader hoodie for the outer layer when needed. :-)  (Yes, shameless plug for AUG Leaders!)

The temperature in Austin can swing 30-35F in one day so being prepared, especially in spring and fall, is a must!  :-D

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events