Miscellaneous Monday - Sum Sum Summa Tiiiiime

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2018

Happy Monday, friends!

It's 100 degrees here in sunny California, USA with 50% humidity YUCK(37 degrees+ for all using metric out there). Basically, I feel like I'm in a hot pan with butter shoes every time I walk out the door. 

To my disdain, my in-laws came down for the weekend and wanted to visit an outdoor flea market/farmer's market. Maybe that came out wrong. I love my in-laws. What I do not love is Summer and walking around on hot pavement for four hours, which is what we ended up doing.

Like a dummy, I am now burned to a crisp and resembling a very sad lobster on his last walk to the boiling pot. Actual photo of me below.  Why don't I wear sunscreen? Who knows? 

the-lobster-mens-costume

On the plus side, I have scores of delicious vegetables and a couple of flea market treasures. On the down side, I can't move my arms. 

Did you do anything fun this weekend? (Lookin at you @Erica Moss!) 

Anyone south of the equator that can make me jealous of cooler weather? 

Happy Monday all, stay cool. 

21 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2018

It was surprisingly pleasant in Cleveland this weekend....I spent it working on my kayak; it's time to cut the hole for the cockpit and build out the coaming. I chickened out though and sanded instead. It's a big hole in a work piece that took about 100 hours to build, so I have to work up to it.

image2.jpegimage1.jpeg

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

@Scott Theus, it's gorgeous!!

In terms of price, do you feel like building your own is more cost-effective than purchasing a pre-built? Some people are in it for the hobby aspect, for sure, but that fatty kayak price tag is what makes me think... "hmmm... I'm not too shabby with hand tools."

Those were my last words before I sunk in my handmade boat. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2018

start small and in the center. HA!

Looking nice!!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

Thanks!

@Meg Holbrook, it really depends on the type of kayak, the material it's made of, and what you're going to use it for. All else being equal, I'd say building your own is less costly...You can get a good touring boat in a kit from Chesapeake Light Craft for about $1200, while a similar fiberglass boat could run around $2,500 or more. (Rotomolded plastic is cheaper, but heavier; carbon fiber is lighter and more expensive.)

Add in the build time (100-200 hours for a kit or 500+ for a strip molded boat like mine) and there is no comparison.  I'm using redwood, which is pricy. If I were to sell this when it is finished I could probably get $8-10 grand for it.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

I'd never considered that there would be companies selling kits, that's awesome!

I'm assuming that since you're using higher-end materials that you've done this more than once? I've seen a couple of your other woodworking projects in the maker thread, but can't recall if watercraft was one you had shared. 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2018

Actually, this is my first boat. I grew up helping my dad make furniture and when a friend started building a kayak in his garage I though it looked like a fun challenge. I used the more expensive redwood because I did't like the look of the cheaper cedar my friend used; it was too "yellowy."

Once this one is done I'm going to build an Ulua outrigger canoe :)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/plans.html

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2018

Nice! 

cb80dd8b-4a88-476a-a82b-1e1e71ade13b-63387965-c7af-4532-90d3-d6697ae77aa6-v1.png

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

+1 for more kayak building updates!

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

I have chosen the wrong time to visit my family in California. Y'all might not know but I'm from Texas so this heat is not THAT bad but I came here for cooler weather and it looks like I just brought it with me. So sorry!

The beach was much cooler than inland so that is where I went. Later in the evening I attended a Shakespeare play at UCI. They built this really cool outdoors circular theater (mini-Elizabethan theater) we were right in the action and it was a much cooler night. It was pretty cool. I've never seen a Shakespeare play before. I can not get the Insert Photos to work...so here is a link to the website for anyone interested. New Swan Shakespeare

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

I'm stuck in the Northern California valley, and now I know who to blame for this terrible weather!

My brother lives in McKinney, so I definitely have it better than their 114 degree weather plus thunderstorms, EEK!

So glad you got to see a Shakespeare! Outdoor theaters are wonderful, and luckily I've been able to take my kids to see a few. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

Living in Austin this time of year I get to enjoy those 100 degree days often. Avoiding the long walks on hot pavement are a given for sure and I stick to early morning and late evening walks w/ the dogs. 

I did have fun this weekend preparing for my month-long trip to the North Carolina Outer Banks (Ocracoke). I pulled out all of my surf fishing gear, took inventory and added to it at my nearby outdoor store. Though it isn't until October, it helps pass the time thru the heat of the summer. I have decided I will need a new chair that will comfortably hold me and my favorite beverage on the beach for hours. Oh...and I will be using sun screen! ;-)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

If I was a lobster in Cali, I'd be a fried egg in Texas right now. 

My brother tells me they've had a bunch of thunderstorms recently, you see any action? 

That's the one thing that I miss going through the midwest is all the crazy storms that come out of nowhere, so cool to watch. 

How'd you get so lucky for a month off? Sounds like it will be wonderful right in the middle of fall. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

Austin has been blessed by some good rain that started last week and really kept the oppressive heat in check. Yay!

Well in my job I have some flexibility. :-) In reality I can work remotely so while I will be gone a month I will be work off and on as needed. But, hey If I can sit on a call for an hour in the morning and then jump in a boat and putt around casting lines the rest of the day I'll take it!!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2018

Now I'm jealous of your ability to conference in during the morning and be in a boat a short time later! 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

My house flooded so I spent most of the weekend shop vacuuming up water out of our server room.

If I wasn't cleaning up the water I was replaying Batman: Arkham Knight.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

oh noooooes!

Plumbing failure or weather-related? Hopefully there won't be too much water damage. 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

My sister is a "dingus" as she put it. She didn't turn our sprinkler system off correctly and the hose burst on Wednesday. So Thursday during the day my brother realized that the water had been coming in through the window well right beneath it.

Luckily it was a storage / server room that had been destroyed previously by a plumbing failure AND a weather-related flood that we hadn't repaired yet. The window area is completely destroyed and the carpets in the hall were so soaked that when you stepped on it there was about an inch of water.

There wasn't really anything important in that room that got wet aside from a few franken-computers I was working on. I'm drying those out to see if they're salvageable. It got all the way to my bedroom but not into my bedroom thank goodness cause I have hardwood floors! That would've sucked!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

I was here with my friends who wanted to watch football

summerweekend.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

well i see a few beers on tables so seems like a good place to be.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

Do they set up outdoor seating just for the world cup or is always like that? We have a couple of places in town that set up big car ports outdoors due to surges in business for the games. 

Happy hour pretty much all month, huzzah!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

The TV, tents and some of the benches are pretty much permanent.  Just off to the left of the photo, there's a massive sunny garden where most of the benches usually are.  This pub regularly wins awards for its beer, so that's even better.

You can probably tell that Chris and I (the chap in grey) have zero interest in the football...

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

I met with friends, for a strawberry cake, then we played Pandemic Legacy

C0350E89-534B-4EDB-9CB5-FF06BBD32D5F.jpeg

and Escape Room Funland

13ABDCE5-86E9-4A42-8E98-C7B05ADCE7E3.jpeg

Then we were so exhausted from saving the world and escaping from Funland, we urgently needed  a barbecue and of course played one more: Fresko

80B98A47-67B6-4663-AC70-E0903D91DE64.jpeg

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend.

I've only ever played Pandemic, how is Legacy? My board-gaming power couple friends moved to Sweden last summer, so we've been woefully behind on gaming. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

Legacy games usually tell a story. By playing the game, you will change the game permanently. E.g. a city can get destroyed and it will be permanently destroyed for the rest of the games. Your character can die and then the card will be torn - the character has gone. Every decision might be a decision for all future plays.

Pandemic Legacy is played in 12 episodes. In each game, the story is told further on. You open secret packages, get new goals, put sticker on the board, destroy cards, etc. And the story continues...

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

I WANT LEGACY SO BAD.

Pandemic is the one game all four kids in my family will play together. We're so bad at following rules that we have a house rule for all games like this called "narrative ruling"... basically, if the story we've been playing out makes sense to change a rule, we will. Especially when playing games like Pandemic, Eldritch Horror, or Arkham Horror.

Legacy has that built in. It's at the top of my wish list (after the rest of the Eldritch Horror expansions haha).

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel Inquiring minds want to know: Do you love board games or theater more? (My bet is board games.)

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

@Thomas SchlegelI love Pandemic. My favorite board game

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

@Erica Moss - Most of all I like good stories - whether they are told by games, theatre plays or movies. 

Yes, board and card games are my favourite, but a life without theatres is hard to imagine...

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel Great answer!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

@Thomas SchlegelI love Pandemic, too - and of course most boardgames. Definitly have to try out Legacy.

So many games - so little time.

Often thought about an escape room game cause I really really love escape rooms - how do you like them? Are they similar to the ones you play in a real room.

Sorry for so many questions - my brother is coming over for a visit in a few weeks and we are already discussing what to play.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2018

@Fabienne Gerhard I like most of them, sometimes they are unfair, you have to find very small hints on cards which are hard to see if you have reached your middle forties... 

Start with the Exit - Games of Kosmos. There you have three different degrees of difficulty.

I personally liked best  „Tote im Orientexpress“. A good starter are also the first ones „Die verlassene Hütte“ and „Das geheime Labor“. I didn‘t like the Egyptian one, „Die Schatzkammer des Pharao“ - it was unfair...

The riddles are great, the helping system is good and playing them is fun. A real room is better, but the games are awesome also.

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2018

@Thomas Schlegelcool that sounds great - I got a starter pack for my last birthday "Die drei ??? - „Haus der Rätsel“ (haven't tried yet)

Used your mentions for a shopping list :D

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2018

I was in Montreal this past week, and we faced two back-to-back days of 90+ degrees. I don't handle it well, but I loved everything else. 😎

small 02.pngsmall 03.png

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 9, 2018

It is Winter here. On Sunday it was grey and rained most of the day which gave me full permission to sit on the couch with a blanket and my toddler watching Netflix all day. 

The toddler was feeling unwell so wanted a quiet day otherwise we would have had to burn off some energy outside despite the weather.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2018

Hey @Meg Holbrook sorry to hear about your lobster adventure, sounds so painful! You would love it here in PEI, it's 27 degree, and that's hot for here, we usually have about 24 degrees (75F), on average in the summer. 

As you may have noticed I have been MIA for about 5-6 weeks, I have been studying around the clock for my Language level evaluations (did them on July 5th) and this weekend was the first weekend/evening that I didn't study, felt so good! I get my results this week, fingers crossed. 

I spent the weekend relaxing, catching up on things that I had put off for several weeks when French was my life, and spent sometime hiking in the woods with my hubby and dog, and visiting friends.

I will be more active on here and may go back and reply to some of your Miscellaneous Monday posts, always looked forward to them each week.

Have a lovely rest of your day!

Jodi

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2018

@Jodi LeBlancOn a pas mal de Francophones dans le groupe

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2018

Merci beaucoup, je peux pratiquer mon français avec vous tous :)

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2018

Welcome back with more French skills than before! Definitely noticed the lack of PEI updates ;)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2018

Jodi!! So glad to have you back, really missed chatting! Best of luck on your evaluations, I'm sure you'll have done wonderfully. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

Thanks so much @Meg Holbrook - I missed chatting with you too! Thanks for the well wishes, I got my B level, so close to the C I was striving for, but I will give it another shot in 30 days :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

You are so sweet @[deleted] :) I will make up for it this summer, and will give lots of great PEI updates. Here's a few pics from my recent visit to Cavendish Beach :)

IMG_7841.JPGIMG_7842.JPGIMG_7843.JPG

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

@Erica Moss you need to come visit :)

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2018

Breathtakingly beautiful...

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 11, 2018

Just got back from Costa Rica; it was amazing. Here is a picture of me in the ocean!

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 9.45.21 AM.png

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2018

Pura vida! 🤩

Welcome back to the other vida- we missed you!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2018

Living in west coast California all these years... it still amazes me how BLUE the ocean is in places that are not here. 

I hope you had a great time, you were missed!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 12, 2018

@Meg Holbrook I know, it was blue and not freezing cold! So different!

@carolyn french Pura vida!! I missed you all too, for real. 😍

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2018

Oh it looks so beautiful @Monique vdB! That blue!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2018

@Monique vdBthat's called to me a "Mind Cleansing" place. Looking at the picture gives me a sense of relaxation.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

Wow @Monique vdB - looks like paradise! So happy you had a lovely vacation :)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

@Monique vdB 10/10, would view this photo again

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

Wow! Such a nice view! @Monique vdB looks like nobody else were there :) . Ocean just for you! :)

I wish to go to some sunny place too.. Currently since more than a week already it raining all the time :( .. My view is similar to this :( ..

rain.jpg

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

@Mirek - where do you live? Here in Northern Germany, the weather is warm and dry for two months now. It's beginning to get too dry already...

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel- Not so far from you - Central Poland - but even few hundred kilometers makes a difference in weather. This map show how much Sunsine duration currently do we have.. No more than 5 min per hour :) .

screenshot-2018-07-19-11-53-02.png

And yesterday day there was so heavy rain that everything was floating again. Pretty depressing weather in the middle of summer.. 

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2018

This past weekend was spent getting over a cold by lounging on the couch and binge-watching How I Met Your Mother, which I can't believe I never started in on before now. How that is possible, I don't know. 

giphy-2.gif

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2018

I never did get to the last couple of seasons. Now you make me want to go back and watch, I loved that show so much. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 13, 2018

have so many thoughts but will save them until y'all get to the ending. But here are some pictures we took on the set! 

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.18.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.20.25 AM.png

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2018

That's too cool! Where's the set?? (and is that a fake baby... I'm not far enough along to know for sure....)

Might be a while till I get through all the seasons. I try to save my binge watching for when I actually can't do anything else but veg.

The bar totally reminds me of the pub in Shaun of the Dead. It's like they can't possibly go to another one.  😄

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 16, 2018

@carolyn french does "far enough along" mean what I think it does?!?!?! Congratulations!!!

My sister works in film production on the Fox lot, and the soundstage behind her office is where they filmed HIMYM.  This is my real baby, lol. Cobie Smulders saw us on set and came up to introduce herself and talk about motherhood. So nice :) 

Last time we visited, we saw the Modern Family set, but that was less exciting because we don't watch that show! 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

@Monique vdB GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR COOLNESS!! I'm impossibly jealous that you met Cobie. 

Also, ahhhhhhhhh! Grats @carolyn french 

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2018

Whooooops, epic miscommunication! Far enough along in the series to know if there is an actual baby on set haha. Cute baby 😇

What a cool story, @Monique vdB!! (super jealous too!)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2018

hahahahaahah,  @carolyn french I'm dying. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2018

Well well well while some people are relaxing, I am trying to hold Atlassian and make sure it doesn't fall 😜

IMG_3543.jpeg

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 13, 2018

I love this picture so much.  You definitely help hold us up, Fadoua!!

And also your jean cuffs are so cute too. 😊

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2018

Thank you @Monique vdB! My jean was supposed to be little bit higher but it was almost 3 pm and I was already exhausted.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2018

...as one would expect after holding up Atlassian all day @Fadoua!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2018

😀 good point @Scott Theus!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

@Fadoua - I love this picture, too awesome!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

You definitely lift all of us up, @Fadoua! Love this photo. ✨

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018
Deleted user July 16, 2018

I visited my sister on the weekend. We ended up going to an ice cream festival.

I was not able to capture the moment for my love of all ice cream by taking a selfie of me stuffing my face, instead I have found an image of one of the ice cream stalls that might help you @Meg Holbrook (or make you jealous).

ice cream.png

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 16, 2018

That looks absolutely divine.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

Yum Yum @[deleted]. I hope you had a great time with your sister.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

@[deleted] - the depths of my jealousy are without bounds. I feel like every time I go to baskin robbins, they just have the crusty frost-bitten leftovers from each bucket, and it will never EVER look as good as this does. 

Obviously, I need a better ice cream joint. 

Deleted user July 17, 2018

@Meg Holbrook if you are ever in Newcastle I would be happy to show you around. 

@Fadoua I had so much fun. Apart from the ice cream festival and also went to a play in the park. The weather was lovely.

@Monique vdB There was soooooo much choice, I could not decide where to go first haha :) 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2018

OMG I WANT.

Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

This weekend here in the UK it was so hot that I was able to spend a day at the beach with my partner which was really nice.

Long may the heatwave in the UK continue.

Kristian

beach.jpg

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 16, 2018

This looks heavenly, @Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

I love how there's just tons of people chillin on the side of the road. This is the life I want. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

I let you enjoy Beaches, ice creams, festivals. For me since i learned that there is (Water on Mars):

Water on Mars.jpg

I am going there:

Nasa Mission.jpg

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

@Fadoua - any weekend you get to wear a space suit is a weekend well spent IMO. 

The galaxy looks good on you. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

Lol when you have kids, weekends go by their choices. I try to enjoy what they pick. Even sometimes I end up having more fun than them 😅

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

Wow! This suit suits you Fadoua, maybe a career change is in your future - I am sure you would be a fantastic astronaut :) I met two astronauts in the past few years (Hadfield and Saint-Jacques), such an amazing experience. Here's a couple photos :)

IMG_8558.JPG

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

Can't seem to upload the second one.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

You look amazing @Jodi LeBlanc! Becoming an astronaut that I am not sure about 😂 I will die before the take off

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2018

You are so sweet @Fadoua :) The other pic that I was trying to upload was of David Saint-Jacques, he is a doctor, astrophysicist, astronaut and public servant. I believe he is next to go up in Space, what an experience, I can't even imagine :)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2018

I enjoy watching their videos from the space station! So much fun that they do science videos for kids (and big kids like myself). 

I recently watched one where the astronaut was doing a hand quilting project and explaining how difficult it was to keep everything in order. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2018

@Meg Holbrook I love their videos too! Haven't seen the quilting project but saw Commander Hadfield playing his guitar in space and also brushing his teeth. I loved following his journey on Twitter when he would share his space pics in real time, looking down at various cities, provinces, states, and countries around the world.

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2018

@Jodi LeBlanc@Meg Holbrook I'm also a huge fan of astronaut videos of doing stuff in space. Have you read Hadfield's book?  An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything. Such a fascinating read...

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2018

@carolyn french I haven't read it yet, I will definitely check it out. Thanks for sharing! :)

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2018

😂this is amazing @Fadoua!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2018

Spent the weekend in Vancouver B.C. with my wife. We had an awesome time visiting Stanley Park, Granville Island, and the Capilano Suspension Bridge.

IMG_20180714_142622.jpgIMG_20180714_142641.jpgIMG_20180714_150008.jpg

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

@Davin Studer The sky is so blue! Amazing.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

Yeah, it was awesome weather. Beautiful area.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2018

Oh, I love BC!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2018

We have some sort of April weather at the moment in the south of Germany - starting with 58 degress (Fahrenheit) in the morning we have a mixture of heavy rain and burning sun means temperatures between 60 and 80 during day.... crazy weather

But we were brave (according weather) on sunday and went out for a 5 hour hike with llamas and alpacas - and it was so much fun. Those funny, fluffy, wonderful animals stole my heart <3

Here are some impressions from our tour - have close look on alpaca 'Caramello' - he got the award for best hairstyle.

IMG_1876_n.jpgIMG_1905_n.jpgIMG_1907_n.jpgIMG_1911_n.jpg

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2018

I love alpacas!! They are the sweetest creatures. It looks like you had an awesome time. 

I am a fiber spinner, and alpaca is one of the most fun to yarn-inate (yeah, that's totally a word! >_>)

Looks like the weather was gorgeous.

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

@Meg Holbrookwe had the best time - and were lucky according weather, one hour later heaven opened it's doors and we had some sort of apocalyptic rain coming down.

Spinning sounds great - I try my best in knit and crochet (which ends in beanies most of the time) I would love knitting with alpaca wool - imagine who soft and warm it would be on the head (memo to myself: get some alpaca wool)

Please show some of your spinning stuff you made :)

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2018

Oh man, that looks like so much fun!

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2018

Now it's summer time! 

20180720_191924.jpg...and another sidewise pic...

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2018

Got to escape the scorching Texas heat over the past couple of weeks with a trip to Ireland, Scotland, and northern England.  Got to see my younger daughter graduate from Lancaster University, drink a pint of Guiness at the brewery, taste some fine Jameson whiskey at the distillery and roam around beautiful countryside in Ireland and Scotland. Several hundred pictures to sort out but one of my favorites is this one of Doune Castle - used for many of the castle scenes in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Now go away or I will taunt you a second time!  :-)

FullSizeRender.jpg

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2018

Awesome!  that sounds like a fantastic time!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2018

@LarryBrock Beautiful. 😍

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2018

Does it really get that hot in Sacramento?!? I've considered it as somewhere I may want to move to, but idk, you're kinda scaring me off with that heat.

As for this weekend, I splurged and got a facial which was SO amazing. I got several compliments on my skin, which was flattering, in addition to feeling fresh and rested. (not me, but same feelings)

July-Week-2

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 25, 2018

omg @BiancaE, Sacramento gets SO HOT. 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2018

@Monique vdB it was 122* at my parents' place last Wednesday. I think as long as it stays below 105* I can manage. @Meg Holbrook how common is that under 105*? Is it at least a dry heat?

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

I think 107 is like the really HIGH end of summer life, but who knows what future years hold. Typically we're in the high 90s except for the last few weeks of July/early August. 

Humidity isn't like the southern United States, but hovers around 30-40% usually. Not crazy, but still miserable some days. 

Other than the heat sometimes, I absolutely love my city and it just gets better every year. 

MK May 21, 2019

People need to buy a sapling and then plant it and nurture it, until it can handle on its own...

Not be a fancy one could be any plant in any category. It really helps prevent the global warming...

By the way global warming is a big picture, really big picture!!! For now I'll stick with "beat the heat, go green", small things make huge difference when everyone stands together to make a small difference!!! 

MK

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events