Miscellaneous Monday - Spring Weather To-do's

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2020

Hello! Its time for #miscellaneous-monday!

I hail from the bitter north (Minnesota) and as chance would have it, its starting to warm up now! Today hit 60 degrees fahrenheit and boy, it was a treat! Just a few short weeks ago, we had up to 2 feet of snow and sub-zero temperatures. As spring weather approaches I feel everyone gets a bit stir-crazy and starts planning what they want to do "when it warms up", so my topic today is "What makes it to your short list of to-do's when the weather changes?"

I took this opportunity to get out/stay out of the house as long as possible!

• We took our terrier-mix on our first long walk (he's an adopted transplant from Georgia and still hasn't adjusted to winter weather after 7 years). 
  • I cleaned my car. Front to back bumper! I took it through a car wash yesterday and then cleaned the interior today. Take out all garbage; cleaned windows, seats, cupholders; pulled the mats; vacuumed everything! I feel like I have a brand new car again.
  • And a not so fun task - backyard clean up! As a dog owner, winter in the northland is not doo-doo friendly (deep snow, cold temps, chilly wind). We just let the pup out to do his business quickly and let it sit until spring. On a warm day like this - it becomes very apparent in a not so pleasant way. But I'll take cleaning it up now than trying to dig through a snowbank.

Cheers!

7 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2020

@carrie_eandm I can relate to the "winter blues" being slightly north of where you are in Ontario, Canada.

The first thing I always "want" to do is start planting seed in the garden, but I know that the weather needs to get much warmer and stabilize first before I start doing that.

The first thing I will probably end up doing is taking my 3 year old son to the public park at the end of our street.

It's supposed to get up to a high of 12 degress today (53.4 for anyone that needs that conversion ;) ) so I'm looking forward to that!

Like carrie_eandm likes this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2020

I have friends that start their gardens indoors around this time of year with those plastic bins or egg cartons! I always admire gardens and have wanted to do one myself - and then forget until about mid-summer.

It's so nice to finally be able to go outside and get some fresh air - enjoy the park!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2020

I had a bit of work done on the house last summer and fall; replaced the sanitary and storm drain lines from the house to the street, rebuilt the porch, and replaced the concrete walkway with brick. It looks nice but my yard and front gardens are now a quagmire of mud, fill dirt, and left over stones. 

Guess what I'll be doing as soon as it warms up enough!

House.jpg

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2020

@Scott Theus Oh man! It seems that yardwork never really ends, does it? The pathway looks amazing though - and as soon as the grass grows in, it will be lovely! Are you also doing planters around the house at all?

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2020

I am! I have window boxes for the front, a few planters for the porch, and I'll do 4 hanging baskets. It'll look awesome once everything is in and the magnolia blooms.

Like carrie_eandm likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 9, 2020

On the other side of the world... in the last couple of weeks it has become dark at the time my alarm sounds. Alas it is still bright at the time I would like my toddler to be sleeping.

This will only get worse in a few weeks when the semi-annual mess with the clock game happens again.

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2020

I feel you on the darkness/lightness. We've just gone through it and are now emerging into our longer days. This weekend was a bit rough to wake up again in darkness (daylight savings jumped ahead an hour), but being home while the sun is still out is a great trade off!

Like Kat Warner likes this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2020

What's up from Minneapolis!!! I'm so glad you got to get your fluffball outside while it was so nice yesterday.

I'm super lucky to live in an apartment, so this time of year requires zero yard work. I'm most excited to be able to run outside without the fear of slipping. ;) I'm also happy to leave the office while the sun's still out, now that we went through the time change.

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2020

MSP reppin'! Yes, the fear of slipping is now actually slipping away. Get out and enjoy!

Like Sajit Nair likes this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2020

'Namaste' everyone,

Great topic @carrie_eandm 
Here is my short list - 

1. "Restock the wardrobe" - May seem trivial, but cleaning and tucking away our 'winter clothes' and blankets is an important task coz they'd now come out only in November.  :)
2. "Take a trip on my bike" - This is the perfect weather for any biker. Its not too hot, not cold.. so just maybe put on some Doors or Dylan on my playlist in my headphones and start riding at Dawn and enjoy/appreciate the nature.
3. "Plan a vacation for summer" - This years target, Leh/Ladakh. 

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2020

@Sajit Nair I'd say the wardrobe is on every Minnesotan's list (especially the bulky winter coats, boots, hats, etc). Its good to be able to refresh again!

Good luck with the trip planning. Leh/Ladakh looks amazing for avid outdoors-people! I love being able to tie in cultural stops as well with trips!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 10, 2020

@Sajit Nair I have never understood the winter clothes/summer clothes thing and it only just now occurred to me that it's probably because I live in California where we don't really have seasons 😂

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2020

I can confirm that I have two bins of clothing I'm scared to get out as well as multiple pairs of mittens I'm scared to put away. It seems as soon as I do, we'll get another blizzard!

One of my favorite Minnesota memories was deciding to trudge through inches of snow to get to our favorite neighborhood bar on a Friday night, then helping people shovel their cars out at 2am when the bar closed. That was in April. 😂

Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2020

@carrie_eandm  - Its an amazing place. I did a 7day solo route there 3 years back and it turned out to be too less for the amazing cultural and geographical landmarks there. Hoping to tick off all the checkboxes this time. :)

@Monique vdB- Its a scary thing to see the 'winter weight' messing up my last summers wardrobe. I guess it acts as good reminder to hit the gym :D

@Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy- No matter when you get rid of them bins, its gonna happen. 
I packed up one box last week and it rained cats and dogs for a couple days and temperature dropped. Murphys law. :/
Also, that memory sounds sweet. I hope they bought you a thank you pint. :)

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2020

@Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy Like today? Silly snow. I have an early May birthday and I remember years ago when I was in college at UMD - it snowed 2 inches on my birthday. I'm sorry....what?! Sometimes those random snowstorm memories outweigh any "normal" snowfall of the year.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 10, 2020

We're getting our front yard landscaped this spring! And also some new front windows and a new kitchen window. I'm excited. 

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2020

Yes! That is very exciting!

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2020

We are staying indoors, because being in Florida, this is pollen season right about now.

Image result for florida's 12 seasons

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2020

@Dharma Ramos Haha, yes! I love that MN isn't the only state that has different seasons. Up here its' Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Road Construction.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2020

Great Stuff! Some times up here winter doesn't stop road construction from happening ;)

Like Dharma Ramos likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events