Miscellaneous Monday - Seeing the forest for the trees

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2022

Right now there is a great initiative that @Monique vdB has brought to the Atlassian Community. It's a push to plant 30,000 trees based on the user engagement in the community during the month of July. For every piece of content liked, a tree will be planted, and all users that participate qualify for a special edition community badge. You can read all about it in Monique's post here

During a brain break I was thinking about what 30,000 trees looks like. As an avid hiker, I have been in dense forests - but have I ever tried to count the number of trees? If I did, how long would it take to actually see 30,000 trees? But what really startled me was the idiom that popped in my head - would I be able to see the forest for the trees?

Don't Miss The Forest For The Trees

The meaning of the idiom is simple - we often get so bogged down in the detail (each individual tree) we don't see the bigger picture (the forest). Would I literally miss the forest for the trees??? 

Well, I am a believer in being an individual, so I'd like to focus on the trees during this Miscellaneous Monday post. After all, each community like is needed to get to the 30,000 trees.

So here it is. Let's all share a picture of our favorite trees. The Arbor Day Foundation has a great database of tree information that you can use to identify and post a picture of your favorite tree. Or you can post a picture of a tree you love from your yard, neighborhood, childhood, favorite TV show (who will be posting a Weirwood tree?), or any tree that makes you happy. Bonus if you explain why in your post.

I can't wait to see our forest form from the individual trees posted!

37 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2022

0000433_pink-dogwood_510.jpg

We have a pink dogwood in our front yard. (This is not a picture of it.) I love sitting on the front porch when it blooms in April and May - it's flowers are so delicate that the breeze rattles them - but they are so brave that they hang on as long as they can - knowing the happiness they bring me! 

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

BoabPrisonTree.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boab_Prison_Tree,_Derby in NW Australia. I visited as a young man and it always stuck in my mind. So odd!

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

I still rate trees I see based on how climbable they are. And it's been a while since I climbed a tree :)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

Wow! That is super unique. I don't think I have ever seen a forest of Boab trees - they seem to thrive alone. @Matt Doar does that say anything about you?

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 18, 2022

@Matt Doar wow that's a crazy tree! Funny we both thought of Australia, one of my tree pics is Australia themed also.  Such great flora and fauna there.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

@Matt Doar that is amazing! Love it! Thanks for sharing such an oddity! 

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

These trees are so amazingly unique! I would love to see one in person. 

Like # people like this
Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 27, 2022

This is so beautiful!!

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2022

Unique

Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

Amazing

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 18, 2022

We have jacaranda trees here and they are always beautiful, but when I visited Australia, they were really jaw dropping! This is not my picture but still gives you an idea of these gorgeous purple trees.  

istock-jacaranda-trees-138924-2.jpeg

Also being from California I feel VERY FORTUNATE that the trees in front of our house actually CHANGE COLORS in the fall!  (Very rare here.) These are Chinese Pistache trees and they make our street so lovely. 

125893770_10100646731088101_6181024801171463908_n.jpg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

Now I know where you got the inspiration for your hair coloring from! These are amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

They almost don't look real. Something to really stop any make you appreciate the beauty of nature.

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2022

Wow..

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

This is gorgeous! You're so lucky to have these to look at when you wake up!

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2022

Awesome purple trees @Monique vdB 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree... Joyce Kilmer

It is hard to beat Muir Woods.

96C89DF6-75F2-4D80-8E72-583C6ADDFEA0.jpeg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

@Jack Brickey as always, you are inspiring! Muir Woods is on the bucket list. I must get there sometime in the near future.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 18, 2022

@Andy Gladstone and @Jack Brickey I love Muir Woods! I recently did a little solo staycation in Fort Bragg and on the way to the coast, drove through some coastal redwoods in Mendocino county.... truly magnificent.  I pulled over to take a picture, hard to capture the majesty of these trees!

8ca90883-e722-4914-a889-a0c67e36cfcd.jpg

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Magnificent! Muir Woods is one of those beauties in California that every person should experience. What peaceful surroundings to be in! Thanks for making our day with these pictures! 

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2022

I love Muir Woods... Peaceful

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

I personally love Golden Aspen trees. I try to go up to northern AZ every year to see the Aspens and just love the jaw dropping colors! My favorite place to go is in Flagstaff at Lockett Meadow. It requires a treacherous drive up a mountain on a one lane road and a medium difficulty hike, but it is so worth it! Here is a pic from the internet and a pic of my own. 
aspens.pngaspens.jpg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

That sunlight filtering through the limbs, same color as the leaves. It’s 👌

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 18, 2022

@Summer_Hogan I need to know how lazy people see these trees. They are beautiful!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

@Monique vdB you made me LOL! Yeah its quite a trek up there, but if you ever come to AZ there are easier ways to see Aspens during the time of year they turn. On the drive from Flagstaff up to Snow Bowl, you can visit Aspen Corner, which is another great place to see these beauties! 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 18, 2022

@Summer_Hogan yes, I like trees I can drive to, maybe get out, take a nice leisurely walk, admire the trees. None of this "treacherous" or "difficult" territory for me. 😆

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

This looks like a very happy place.
A Tree Should Be Planted For This

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

The house I grew up in had one of these in the garden.  My first cat and I took naps under it, the family ate the fruit, I climbed, and fell out of it, many many times, and and and...

Ask Alys: should I replace my old pear tree? | Gardens | The Guardian

But I have a soft-spot for the trees in:

tree.jpeg

I think the trees have been replanted because my memory says they were a lot taller and taking over the drive, so no surprise if they were felled and saplings planted.  I'm old enough that they've had enough time to grow to this size!   I met my first girlfriend under one of them.

In third place is 

Woolsthorpe Manor National Trust - Events | Facebook

I can't find any evidence beyond "it is said to be the tree that ...", but I've been to see it a few times.  It's an apple tree.  In the background is Woolsthorpe Manor.  If the claim is true, then tree is at least 360 years old (due to one of the big news events of 1666) 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 18, 2022

Of course it's called "Woolsthorpe Manor," how British can you get?! 😂

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

I think that one is more "English" than "British"  - it would be named, and celebrated, very differently in Ireland, Scotland and Wales!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 20, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I wasn't sure about my wording, TIL! :) 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

Nothing like a tree that reminds us of young love! Thanks for sharing @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

I took this when I was taking a walk down to the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz. I was in love with PALM TREES the entire time I lived in California! All I see is summertime hope and livelihood when I come across any.

IMG_1397.jpg

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Pretty pic! 

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Thanks @Summer_Hogan ! Santa Cruz is certainly beautiful! 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 20, 2022

@Okan Erdogan I love them too, and this picture is so pretty!

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Thanks @Monique vdB ! Santa Cruz is technically So of NorCal, isn't it?! As a SoCal native, you would know the answer to this 😆

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 20, 2022

@Okan Erdogan ha! well as far as I'm concerned, roughly speaking, there's "real" NorCal (redwoods, Humboldt county). NorCal (Sacramento and greater SF Bay Area, which includes Santa Cruz), then Central California (Fresno, Modesto...) then SoCal starts around Santa Barbara and goes all the way down to San Diego County. 

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2022

@Monique vdB that's right! I have seen so many different California maps in terms of Nor, So, and Central cities. I was kind of confused, thanks for shedding some light on this as a native!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

@Okan Erdogan palm trees have always mesmerized me. Thanks for sharing your favorites.

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2022

IMG_20200918_074334.jpg

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

What is this one?

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2022

Bamboo trees. 

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

That's right! I was not quite sure. Thanks a bunch!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

@Srinatha T Bamboo Trees are not native to New York, but there are pockets of them growing here and there. Last summer my wife and I were riding our bikes along a rail trail in upstate NY and all of a sudden we were under the canopy of a bamboo forest that formed a tunnel over our heads and surrounding us. We just stopped and were dazed and amazed by it. Thanks for sharing your love of bamboo!

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2022

This was one of the big tree's i had witnessed in Agumbe forests.  Not a good click but the trees trunk says it all. 

IMG-20181204-WA0028.jpg

Like # people like this
Jonathan V. July 20, 2022

I actually love tropical palm trees (I know, boring, right! LOL).

One reason is that these trees will bend and contort themselves chasing the sun, they dont let anything prevent them from seeing the sun. This reminds me constantly how I need to strive to do the same within a work environment, when on projects, or even in my own personal life.

Another reason is that during a hurricane or other strong storm, these trees will bend (extensively), but normally do not break under the constant pressure put on them by the high winds. This reminds me to always be flexible, so as to not allow anything to "break" me.

images.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 20, 2022

@Jonathan V_ I love palm trees! My husband and I have an ongoing argument about them because to him they represent Los Angeles's water theft and also "they're not real trees." I say "there's 'tree' right in the name" and also "oh my god enough about the water theft." 😆

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

@Jonathan V_ I love those too. There are lots of them in Hawaii and I visit Hawaii a lot! They really add to the scenery at the beaches and make for great beach pics! 

Like # people like this

I agree, they're definitely trees!!

I honestly have zero clue about any of this water theft stuff, but here in Miami, palms are plentiful, and even better, zero water theft LOL

Like # people like this

@Summer_Hogan there's just something about them that make you want to take off clothes and jump in a hammock with a fruity drink lol

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 20, 2022

@Jonathan V_ he's from Northern California and I'm from Southern California and it's a whole thing. If you watch the classic movie Chinatown, it talks a lot about the water and the early days of California!

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2022

All northern Labrador we did a road trip there about 5 years ago.  I would recommend it, but not for anyone driving a low riding vehicle the roads are no paved ... roads ha road there's only one.  The tracks you see in the sand, those are not human or man made ... We didn't stay too long.  
21544215_10213741931640042_5326980335536910563_o.jpg21458153_10213741928359960_4773362145824945639_o.jpg21457662_10213741925439887_4659174325734725973_o.jpg21586929_10213741924239857_6389340006502862193_o.jpg21551806_10213741925279883_47335186413865169_o.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 22, 2022

Wow, I love the juxtaposition of the trees with the sand. Really beautiful!

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2022

It really is like no other place.
21551786_10213741938320209_5199850402079221311_o.jpg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

That is an amazing contrast. The only time I have experience something like that in person was riding my bike through Kennemerland National Park in the Netherlands in Summer 2016.

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

Another cool thing about Labrador is the amount of wild blueberries that grow, they are everywhere.  Stop the car for a rest, pick some berries no need to look for them they are at your feet. 
It's not a tree but I heard they like trees :)
images (3).jpg

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Amazing photos.  Thanks for sharing.

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

Any post initiative that will get me to login on the weekend to like something that I've reviewed is something special.  
A tree should be planted for this.

Like # people like this
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2022

Inland-Temperate-Rainforest-TheNarwhal-0049-1-1920x1439

Ancient cedar trees in BC.

Like # people like this
Kristian King
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2022

Love the beautiful cedars in BC :green_heart:

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

BC is a treasure trove of amazing forestry and trees. Thanks for sharing!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 25, 2022

Here's a rainforest:

forest.gif

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

Oregon has paper tree farms where everything is planted in perfect lines and trimmed similarly creating a really cool look.  It can also be really scary when you are in the middle of one of the forests and everything looks the same, especially at night.

boardman-tree-farm-95

boardman-tree-farm-149

boardman-tree-farm-66

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 25, 2022

@Brant Schroeder wow that is really cool, and a bit eerie for sure! Reminds me of the Crooked Forest in Poland, have you seen it?

crooked.jpeg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

@Brant Schroeder paper tree planting and milling is a fascinating practice. I went to a paper factory/museum in Massachusetts a few years back and was mesmerized by the process. Thanks for sharing.

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

I really like that series of pics @Brant Schroeder! When I used to take photography classes quite a few years ago, they would make a great triptych together. Especially love the light and the colours in that last one!

And @Monique vdB 's crooked forest makes an awesome contrast with them!

Like # people like this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2022

Catalpa_speciosa_20060624.jpeg

I grew up with a Catalpa tree in my yard. It was odd because it would fruit these long, spindly pods, that when they fell would always leave such a mess. The pod was shaped like a bean pod, but the shell was very wooden, or bark-like.  It was kind of strange to me because I don't recall seeing other trees that did that.  I thought it was somewhat uncommon and it stood out a bit.  It's too bad we lost it in a bad storm.  Our tree was over 80 years old and much taller than this pictured example. It was easily over 50 feet in height.

Image source Wikimedia, image taken by Mark Wagner.

Like # people like this
Nicholette, Daniel
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2022

IMG_6527.jpg

The cherry blossoms at University of Washington have to be up there... right @LisaSeattle ?!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

Just wow @Kristian King. Thanks for sharing!

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

Amazing.
Toronto has a similar spring cherry blossom thing in High Park.

Pics to follow :)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

I love cherry blossoms! I've never made it to DC to see them because it is such a tight window, but some day I will!

Like # people like this
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2022

Beautiful

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

Toronto - High Park - Cherry Blossoms
images (2).jpgimages (1).jpgimages.jpg

Like # people like this
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2022

wow

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

Trees are a very grateful subject for creative photography. In Belgium, close to Brussels, we have the Hallerbos, where every spring there is a blue wave of blossoming hyacinths beneath the trees. For a couple of days it turns into "the" photographer's hotspot

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 20.16.18.png

Because of the beautiful contrast in colours and the way the light plays amidst the stems, it is also a great place for creative, abstract photography. With a slightly longer exposure time and moving your camera deliberately up- or downwards, one can shoot moving trees like these ...

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 20.19.46.png

Great fun, and you never know up front what the result will look like 📷

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 26, 2022

@Walter Buggenhout wow! I hope you have some of these on your wall, they are gorgeous. That top one is such an amazing vibe.

Speaking of amazing vibes I can't believe I haven't dropped any Edward and Bella in this thread yet.

maxresdefault.jpeg

original.jpeg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 26, 2022

I feel like I never really stopped to think about how many different types of trees there are in the world until this thread. We haven't even talked about bonsai trees!

9289382e70132434181735e2d877dc59.jpeg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

I cannot shake this association whenever I see a Bonsai Tree! Thanks for the memory recall @Monique vdB

bonsai-tree.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 26, 2022

Hahaha! Here's an "ASCII" (not really) bonsai to go with my other ones

~~
~~~ ~~
~ ~~~~
     |

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

ASCII and Bonsai go together. They are both minimalist!

Like # people like this
Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

These are so cute! Wow!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 27, 2022

favething.gif

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

I have to admit this is probably my new favorite thing too.

Like # people like this
Chloe Watts
Atlassian Team
July 28, 2022

Big, beautiful gum in Colo Valley, New South Wales.

IMG_7091.JPG

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Wow. I wonder how old that tree is. Are there any others near it anywhere around the same size?

Like # people like this
Sue Wilson July 29, 2022

It's so hard to have a favorite tree when they are all so beautiful in their own special ways!  

I do love the majestic beauty of Japanese Maples!  Their beautiful, deep reddish-purple color in Spring & Summer, changing to equally beautiful reds, oranges, yellows in the Fall.

japanese maple.jpeg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Maples in autumn are nature's fireworks!

57a12965fcf6224e58651230077bcbda--autumn-leaves-october-.jpg

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Ahhh good old Calvin and Hobbes

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

The Pines.
This is in the highlands of Cape Breton Island

21544015_10213741943880348_6500324907809147575_o.jpg

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Cabinet Mountains is great mix of trees and a beautiful place to hike.  I love going there the only issue is Grizzley Bears, they are the only thing that scares me in the wilderness.

Cabinet-Mountains2

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2022

Stunning.

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

A very refreshing view

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events