Miscellaneous Monday - Quotes

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2020

So it's 24th February, which means it's my turn for #miscellaneous-monday, woohoo! There are plenty more spaces, sign yourself up here!

I went back and read a few #megsmiscellaneousmonday posts, and of course, @Andy - PTC Redundant came up with a corker where @Fernando Bordallo mentioned his favourite quote from his granny “the difficult takes some effort, the impossible a little more” and it got me to thinking about favourite quotes.

We often get quotes from random places (not to mention random people!), and the quotes that we like the most sometimes aren’t the original way it was said. For example, one of my favourites is “done is better than perfect” but this wasn’t the original version. There are loads of variations of it around, but it takes a bit of Google sleuthing to be able to find the first version, which in this case is probably Robert H. Schuller’s “I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed” or it could have been “Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly.” Isn’t it funny how these things change? 

Anywho...we all have them, the quotes that make us smile or speak to us at random moments. The Community have seen a couple of mine, including Dumbledore’s “we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy” and “the people that matter are all that matters,”  which is, I assume, a reworking of “the people who matter don’t mind and the people who mind don’t matter” but I can’t remember for the life of me where I found this one! (Please, if you know, put me out of my misery!)

I have others, most of them Sir Terry Pratchett (STP) (and I have no problem with admitting that); “It’s still magic, even if you know how it’s done,” “The pen is mightier than the sword, if the sword is very short and the pen is very sharp,” and a few more: 

All fungi are edible.jpgErotic vs kinky.pngEvil begins when you begin to treat people as things.jpgIt's still magic, even if you know how it's done.jpgNo one is actually dead until the ripples they cause.jpgPersonal's not the same as important, people just think it is.jpgWisdom comes from experience.png

And of course, my overall favourite (having changed my name because of STP back in 2001 - honestly!)

The trouble with Esme is that she don't know how to lose.jpg

Let’s share them around and find inspiration from each other.

So come on, fess up, what are the little motos, sayings and quotes that you live by or love? 

11 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2020

@Esme Crutchley I love this, a number of those made me laugh.  Great way to start the week!  My dad mis-stated one quote and it has forever become a favourite of mine.  The quote should be "Six of one, half dozen of the other." Meaning that both things are essentially the same you can just describe them differently.  My dad said it as "Six of one, Two of the other." which was not the same at all.

Anyway, thank you for starting the week off on the correct foot!

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2020

Super nice @Esme Crutchley 

My favorite are,

• "Folks I don't trust children, they are here to replace us"
  • "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." – Abraham Lincoln
Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 24, 2020

Mae West is one of the most quotable people of all time!

048528661ae0f9c9040ceef5cff5d37e--mae-west-quotes-old-movies.jpgimages.jpegmae1.jpgmae_west_quote.jpg

And for more check out http://www.notable-quotes.com/w/west_mae.html

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

I somehow I missed this discussion, I love this topic. I am often intrigued by how there are quotes or sayings that are so similar in different languages. One my mom said often is a good example "Mas vale pajaro en mano que cien volando" is very similar to "Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush".

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 27, 2020

In English we hit 2 birds with one stone but in Russian it is killing 2 rabbit with one bullet/shot.

I love idioms and looking up their history.

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

LOL, in spanish is a combination of the two, it is 2 birds with one shot, 2 pajaros con un tiro.

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2020

A very dear friend of mine shared this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson. It's really resonated with me, too:

“If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown! But every night come out these envoys of beauty, and light the universe with their admonishing smile.”

There are so many amazing things out there, but we tend to take them for granted when we're around them for so long. It's nice to take some time and enjoy the beautiful, everyday things. 

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2020

You may or may not be surprised, but some of my favorite quotes are from or about piratespirate1.jpgrum.jpgstorms.jpg...blackbeard.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 2, 2020

I just got a necklace with this quote on it and it has been helping me through anxious days:

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 4.23.49 PM.png

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2020

There's a company in the UK called Pia, they make amazing jewellery and my Nan always got me some for Christmas and my birthday.

Some of my favourites are

• drop earrings that say 'in one ear and out the other,'
  • a ring that says 'well behaved women never make history,' 
  • a bracelet that says 'go confidently in the direction of your dreams - live the life you've imagined'
Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2020

My favorite quote is "Good is the enemy of great"!

Kusum Devi November 17, 2020

This is one of the best miscellaneous quotes, rain quotes

Kusum Devi January 26, 2022

I bought this pendant to help me get over stressful days spiritual quotes

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events