Miscellaneous Monday - Meet Your Maker(s)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2018

This week's edition of Miscellaneous Monday isn't as somber as it sounds, I promise!

It's been proven time and again that smart people tend to also be creative people, and I know you're all smart cookies. Today I'd like to showcase your side hustles, your creative outlets, all the things that you work on when the day is winding down. 

I consider myself a Jill-of-all-trades, which my husband will tell you means that I am a borderline hoarder of craft supplies. I enjoy knitting, crochet, sewing, painting, needle tatting, the list goes on and on. Give me some string, and I'm a happy kitty. 

Below are some projects I've worked on this past year, and I hope you'll share some of yours as well :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halloween costume for a coworker: 'Mortgage Loan Officer Barbie'

20171027_233304.jpg

Holiday Mug: "All the Jingle Ladies" (Thanks Bey)

20171126_222527.jpg

Aluminum Cuff Bracelet: "i am enough"

20180522_220441-01.jpeg

Resin and Micah Paint Pour

20170710_215922.jpg

Aluminum Cuff Bracelet: "You Got This"

20180522_223451-01.jpeg

20 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2018

Wow Meg, even when we feel we know you a bit, we still have a lot to hear about you :P

Can a Jira App be considered as a creative thing? hahah

I wish I could use my hand anywhere else than on a keyboard but I'm kind of bad when it's dealing with creating stuff :o

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@miikhy, I am a terrible, terrible programmer, so I envy your ability to create apps! What have you been working on lately, anything you can share?

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Thanks for being that supportive. I do feel like programming is not as useful as hand skills in day to day life but hey.... :p 

I'm working on an App to bring new features to SIL (Scripting competitor of Script Runner) such as integrating with Tempo. Nothing very secret here, seems like nobody else wants to try it anyway! That should be ready for Summit :p 

Not that much exciting, terribly geeky but..... welcome to the Facebook generation lol

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2018

I agree with you @miikhy! I love what you do @Meg Holbrook you are amazing.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@miikhy, your skills are way more valuable than mine until such time as the world ends, when I can barter for supplies with knitted socks LOL.

I'm excited to see your new app, are you planning to debut after Summit? Keep me updated, I love trying out new apps ^_^

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

This is a great topic @Meg Holbrook. It's cool to see what others are passionate about outside of work.

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 4, 2018

@Meg Holbrook love this theme :)

When I'm not *making* content for our community, I'm making art! And coming from a print-on-demand company, much of that art has also made its way onto other things (aside from walls). 

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 9.46.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-04 at 9.46.06 AM.png

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

OMG, that sphynx! So much personality.

I'm so impressed by your artwork, I'm in love with all of the color. At best, I can doodle stick figures to amuse my children. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@Bridget 😍😍😍

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2018

That pillow of your cat with him posing is so great @Bridget Sauer!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2018

"Bridget, I'm tired of you taking pictures of me".... :D Looks a bit angry or is that the cat's regular facial expression?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 4, 2018

I love that Barbie box, @Meg Holbrook! And please tell me you have an Etsy store....

My daughter likes it when I do art with her, and I was pleased with how this recent watercolor came out:

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 9.50.21 AM.png

I'm also working on a young adult novel that's a loose retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion:

I am woken in the middle of the night by a tap on my window. The house is heavily alarmed, of course. I have a panic button next to my bed. I’m bleary, confused, about to hit it -- and then I see who is at my window. Erin.

I’m shocked. I had no idea she even knew where I lived. And I’m going to be in so much trouble if my parents…

...well, I’m being shipped off tomorrow morning to a gay conversion camp. I don’t know how much more in trouble I can be. I enter the code to disable the alarm and open the window.

Like Fadoua likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
June 4, 2018

OMG Mo I'm going to line up at Borders until midnight when this book comes out. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@Bridget, you're giving me the Borders sads right now. Many hours I spent waiting for new Harry Potters in front of one ;-;

@Monique vdB The fact you're adapting Persuasion is amaaaaaaazing. You're going to blow all that Twilight/YA nonsense out of the water, just IMO. 

As for my Etsy store, it is barren. I have some machine embroidery patterns up right now, but that's it. I was too busy with my career and new kiddo to spend any time on it. Funny that you mention it though, because I was making my new bracelets and such to start ramping up my shop again. I mostly used to sell knitting supplies, but it's going to turn more into miscellany. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Also @Monique vdB, I think it's awesome that your daughter enjoys making art with you. My oldest son thinks working on projects with me is just the worst thing he's ever been subjected to. I was that mom that made him awesome hats for winter and he tossed them aside. 

I keep telling him that someday he's going to make me a granddaughter to make up for his lack of interest LOL. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Love this topic, Meg! And I'm obsessed with your paint pour. I've mentioned it before, but I really love taking photos — I find it forces me to appreciate the little things, the things other people might miss. This is a recent favorite from my neighborhood in Brooklyn:

IMG_0749.JPG

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@Erica Moss BEAUTIFUL! I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that it helps catch the things we all miss. So many amazing things that just live right in front of us and we're too busy to stop and look. Especially in a place like New York which is so dense. 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

As always you have a awesome eye Erica 

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Erica Moss - Your pictures are always amazing when you share them on here. Makes me stop and take that moment to appreciate the views captured in your photos.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Alana Fernando @Bryan Trummer Thanks so much, friends!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

@Erica Mosswe have a passion in commun

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4755.JPG

Like Carol Jones likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
June 4, 2018

@Fadoua that is a beautiful photo! Where was it taken? 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Thank you @Bridget! Top of the mountain in St Thomas U.S.V.I.

Bridget
Community Manager
June 4, 2018

Just wow! 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@Fadoua A-MAZING.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@Fadoua, that's it... i'm coming to live with you. 

My family will learn to survive without me. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Thanks Ladies (Women empowerment)! I love you all!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 4, 2018

Yay, girls trip, I'm coming too!

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

amazing @Fadoua

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Only a girl’s trip? 😢 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel, I need your sassiness, so you can come too. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 5, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel you're invited to any and all trips. ❤️

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2018

You can't travel to St. Thomas without a real Thomas, of course! 

So there are more and more trips to be planned;

• St. Thomas
  • New Zealand
  • Belgium
Like Fadoua likes this
Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

I have quite a few different things I am creative with... 

I make cosplays like Masquerade Harley Quinn:

IMG_2818.JPG

I love to draw! Mostly anime:
Nignog by dragonvampiress0115

Fail Face by dragonvampiress0115

And a comic from my high school days:

Leaving Home Quest by dragonvampiress0115

((did you notice she loses her tattoo in the last panel?))

Of course, I also Stream Video games and create my own graphics and website etc. for it... which I have now been sponsored by a pro-gamer (DAFF, CS:GO and Overwatch) to go to TwitchCon!!!!! (October)

I'm also a huge DIY fan. I'm currently redoing my bathroom (pics to come?) and we just finished the porch. Which I don't have pics of right now haha.

I also dabble in photography. And I love to cook all sorts of food. I also knit and crochet but I'm not that good at either.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Go Heth!! I did Poison Ivy one year, it's a little *skimpy* for a public forum LOL. 

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

That is a lot of awesome creativeness there. What video games do you stream?

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Bryan Trummer Pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Mostly League of Legends as that's my primary game. But I have a function in my stream that lets viewers buy an item that makes me change the game I'm playing... Recent ones have been PUBG, Minecraft, Overwatch, Layers of Fear, Shark Attack Deathmatch 2, Subnautica, Town of Salem, and sadly... their favorite is Amnesia. I. HATE. AMNESIA. I have to play with my Teddy Bear.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

That is all very awesome! I have never played Amnesia but seems terrifying.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2018

I love horror movies and stories... but horror games? No thanks. Amnesia is the scariest game I've ever played.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

I like working with wood. This is a project I made for my wife (in secret .... which was no small feat) for our 5th anniversary. I kept all the stuff in the basement of my church and worked on it for months here an there.

IMG_0081.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0137.JPGIMG_4915.JPGIMG_4920.JPG

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Davin, that's amazing!! Did she love it? Of course she loved it, it's awesome. 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Yeah, she liked it. When I told her I made it she was like "Wha!? How ... where ... when did you make this?" We had been wanting to get a real bed frame and wood is the traditional 5th anniversary gift ... so the idea was born.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Nice work, @Davin Studer! I enjoy woodworking too, I'll post some photos.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

You've set the bar really high for all the partners in here looking for anniversary gifts. 

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Very creative anniversary gift, and IMO way cooler than all the typical jewelry stuff (unless you make the jewelry by hand that is or wood jewelry...) Post photos of your projects too, @Scott Theus 🙌

Deleted user June 5, 2018

Wow, this is amazing. @Davin Studer

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Awesome! I really like natural wood! At home I have many things made with it. Overall industrial design is cool and oak is the best wood!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Beyond impressed by this, @Davin Studer!

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Wow! That is fantastic! I have always been envious of those who can do things like that with wood.

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

@Erica Moss and @Fadoua that's my passion tooImg.jpg

Like Fadoua likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Panama? :)

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

No Mirek that photo was taken on Curacao :) 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Omar HerreraI would never guess that this is an island!!! Gorgeous!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Wow, so beautiful!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Omar Herrera Stunning. 🙌🏼

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2018

Wow, Curacao! Cool :)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Years ago, I used to paint. Pictures like these:

Bild4.jpg

Bild2.jpg

Hartmuts_Bild.png

Today, I'm more into photography. I like rainy, dark photos, I think, they are more interesting than the sunny bright ones:

IMG_3474b.jpg

(Oslo)

IMG_7742-klein.JPG

(Florida)

P1050021_2_3_klein.jpg

(near Dresden)

Like Fadoua likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Gorgeous rainy day photos! with the convenience of already having my phone everywhere I go, I find that I'm most into photography as a creative outlet as well.

When I travel and live in apartments, I fight the urge to accumulate stuff (including art and crafting materials) and try to live as minimalistically (not a word?) as possible.

I've always been curious about doing pottery on a wheel, so in the next few weeks, I'm going to take a class to learn and hopefully produce something!

Any advice from potters out there in the Community?

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Awesome clicks @Thomas Schlegel

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

wow @Thomas Schlegel, your paintings are excellent. I enjoy the darker photographs as well. Something about stark contrast gives me that nostalgic feels. You have a keen eye for tonal balance. 

Your photo of Oslo is particularly striking. 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

love everything about the photos

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel - Those darker photos are fantastic. I just moved to Florida and that Florida is truly amazing. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Thank you all 😊 

the clouds were not that dark, I‘ve helped a little bit. But they were there, I swear!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Like @Davin Studer, I enjoy wood working in my spare time. I make pens and other stuff as gifts for friends and family (and the occasional random stranger via the Reddit Gift Exchange; the yellow fountain pen and the slim pen/pencil set went to anonymous internet users in Ireland.)

But my biggest project is my kayak...it's 18" 6" long, 22 inches wide and based on an Aleutian Eskimo baidarka design.  It's strip molded and finished with fiberglass. I have about 400 hours into it now, I expect it  will be finished by the end of summer.

IMG_0041.JPGIMG_4140.JPGIMG_4433.JPGIMG_4611.JPGIMG_4652.JPGIMG_4734.JPGIMG_4738.JPGIMG_5087.JPG

Like Davin Studer likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Gosh, can I be your not-so-anonymous-"pen pal"? Did you make the metal on the fountain pens too?

How did you learn to work with wood?

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Awesome work @Scott Theus Pens look super cool. 

Deleted user June 5, 2018

The kayak looks amazing. How much time do you spend on it per day? 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@[deleted], I buy the parts for the pens and turn the wood, acrylic, stone, whatever on my lathe then assemble them.  I started when I was a kid, probably about 10 or so, helping my dad make stuff.

@[deleted], thanks! I don't get to work on it every day but when I do I can go for hours, depending on what part I'm working on.  Putting the strips was the longest; 20 minutes or so to fit two or three strips, then an hour or two for the glue to dry before I put the next ones on.  Right now I'm steam bending the rims for the hatches and cockpit, so that adds to the time.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Holy Awesomeness Batman! @Scott Theus those are some impressive pieces. Just lovely.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Impressive! Keep up the good work and please share final result when the kayak will be finally done :)

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Scott Theusyou are a genius!!!! I love the colors, design,...

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Love these @Scott Theus! Kayaking is one of my favorite summertime hobbies :D

I used to be a part of the reddit exchanges, but I kept getting paired with people who never sent anything. Eventually I was so bummed out that I stopped participating altogether. 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Serious inquiry... Do you have an Etsy or something where I can buy your pens? I'm in love.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Scott TheusI am with the people looking to buy your pens. I am a Pen lover and yours look unique.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Heth Siemer and @Fadoua I don't have an Etsy shop...yet. But I will soon :)

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

I also second on there wanting to be an Etsy shop!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Tagging @Devon Henderson because fountain pens. ✒️

Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

AHHH! When you get your Etsy shop up, I will buy pens for sure. Those are so awesome!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Scott Theus your pens look really great! You should have a booth at Summit 😄

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

LET US KNOW WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR ETSY SHOP

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

I sketch, make polymer clay charms, cards and my favorite is photography. 

20180605_080429.jpg20180605_080549.jpg20180605_080648.jpgIMG-32e7a2844e0db2a8567df3ac283cefd2-V.jpgIMG-865a991983260f74197b0e32070d334b-V.jpgIMG-b8770d871fcaf442dc1649c5bf4ad2dd-V.jpg

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

So cool @Alana Fernando! Is that a tiny Baymax I spy??

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Yes it is a tiny baymx @Meg Holbrook other two are Elsa from Frozen  and Merida from Brave. :-D

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

OMG, THE CHARMS ARE SO CUTE!!!! If you ever make anything from Harry Potter... lemme buy it off of you XD

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

:( not yet @Heth Siemer but you gave me an idea for my next charm :D.

And now i am thinking how come I still didn't make one from harry potter. 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

I'm dead serious. I will legit buy anything and everything Harry Potter from you. Especially Luna or Hermione or Draco.
Or the Elder Wand...
OR A THRESTAL!!!!

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Then Im gonna make Voldemort charm as none of my charm has noses :-D 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

YAAAAASSS 

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Awesome thread @Meg Holbrook! I love your holiday mug!

Looks like there's a lot of knitters over here :) I knit almost everyday, from baby shower gifts:

knit1.png

To scarfs/shawls:

knit3.jpg

And sweaters:

knit2.jpg

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

wow @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ you really got the talent.  I love the scarf and the sweater

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Thanks Alana! I love your polymer clay charms btw, I've never been able to make anything out of polymer clay haha

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ Wow that scarf if pretty cool. Curved knitting looks difficult. My wife knits so I can appreciate the work that goes into it.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Manon Soubies-Camy wonderful color choices on those. Love the color in your scarf. Sweaters are something I've never had the patience for, I've started no less than five raglan patterns and just frogged them all later. I prefer small projects like hats and kid clothing. 

Are you a member of Ravelry?

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Davin Studer Thanks! I actually use circular needles and it's almost the same as regular knitting needles :)

@Meg Holbrook Thanks! The scarf's yarn has stellina, I think that's why it looks so bright. I'll DM you for Ravelry!

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Beautiful colors... 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2018

I wish I knew how to knit like that! I can knit a straight scarf... and a hat with those circle loom things.

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2018

Thanks @carolyn french and @Heth Siemer! YouTube is a great teacher :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

I tell people that all the creativity in my family bypassed me, and I just got a knack for computers.  My little sister, and aunt can both sing, beautifully, my mum is a polymath, picking up all sorts of random things, my uncle was in a folk band but found making the instruments for them more interesting than playing.

In my spare time, I tinker with computers.  When I get time, I volunteer as a counsellor (sadly, not enough over the last year, I need to get back into it).  And very very occasionally, I paint.

Goblinz.jpg

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Nice work! Back in the day I loved destroying Gobboz with my Undead army :)

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

I don't know @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- that looks pretty creative to me. Not only that programming can be a very creative process. Those look pretty cool. Nice paint job.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, those are awesome! Do you play tabletops as well or just enjoy the painting hobby? I heard there is a much larger community of miniature painters in every country besides the US. 

My husband is into miniature wargaming (warhammer mostly), and I like to browse the shops when he goes for new models. I picked up one made by reaper miniatures recently and don't think I did too shabby for a first-timer. 

20180415_210432-01.jpeg20180415_210311-01.jpeg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

I used to, but the gaming groups fragmented as people did things like have children and get married.

Excellent work on that Reaper!

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2018

I wish I was good at painting mini's. There are some amazing painters out there and I am always jealous if someone shows up with a painted up set. Great work on the paint jobs!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Meg Holbrookthank you for this great topic! We got to learn a lot about other champions. It is really interesting. Thank you all for sharing your passion. I am speechless.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

@Fadoua, you're too sweet. I appreciate you sharing as well :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Another wood worker here. My current project is a wood and leather laptop case for my wife. I'm also playing w/ wood and epoxy but I haven't quite hit the right recipe.

IMG_2711.JPGwood@epoxy.jpg

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

That's very cool, @Jack Brickey! What kind of epoxy are you using? I'm using System Three for my kayak, and planning my next challenge: stabilizing wood burls for turning.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

For that project I used Epox-it 80. I've had good luck on smaller pours but this one was a bit cloudy. I think I will have to have to move up a few notches on the epoxy quality but don't want to do that until I get my playing out of the way. Too, I really need a vacuum to be successful on these projects.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

A vacuum will help quite a bit. It's a different application, but when I was selecting the epoxy for my kayak I found these test results: http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxtest.htm

If anything, it will be an interesting read for you.

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

A wooden/leather laptop case is so perfect! How will the leather be incorporated (I see only wood in the picture)? Post pictures when you finish. :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2018

Hi Carolyn! I plan to have leather handles and a leather strap w/ a snap closure. I may place some leather inside as well. I will post when I complete it. I just need some cycles to get back out in the shop.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

@[deleted], finally completed. here are some pics.

laptop-case-top.JPG

laptop-case-back.JPG

laptop-case-inside.JPG

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

Nice work @Jack Brickey! I like the finish with the leather, and the drawer lock joints are nice and tight. I always struggle with my router, I need more practice.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2018

So cooooool! She's gonna love it!

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2018

The wood is beautiful! What kind is it? It's certainly a piece you can be proud of- well done, @Jack Brickey.

Emily Errico June 21, 2018

I'm not brazen enough to share but when I get home from a day of technical writing, I like to kick back, relax and....write for fun. I'm full of variety and surprises, I know. Right now I'm working on a one-act play and a poetry chapbook, but I'm not picky, I like all sorts of writing.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2018

Emily, that's fantastic! I remember writing a lot when I was a broody teenager, and I never really got back into it. 

Writing is one of those things that you can do anywhere, and I think that's the coolest thing of all. Do you find yourself daydreaming your stories and then jotting them down in your spare time? 

When you're feeling brazen, I'm sure you'd find mad support here :)

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2018

Great topic @Meg Holbrook!  Built some nice Adirondack furniture for a new sitting area we put in our backyard.
IMG_5059.JPG

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

wow....You'll never get me out of the chair, if I come visit ;-)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2018

@LarryBrock! That's fantastic! Sweet Adirondack/loveseat, so cool. I'm impressed.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2018

@LarryBrock, those will go well around the campfire at our Community Commune we are planning! :-)

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2018

Yes to Community Commune! Once you're in an Adirondack chair, good luck getting out, although that's never stopped me from sitting in one  😄

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2018

In the spirit of Christmas (and the 2018 Advent Calendar!) here's a picture of what I'm giving my co-workers this year. The pen and pencil are made from wenge, which looks really good against chrome. The box is bamboo.

Shhhh...don't tell anyone!

IMG_5709.jpg

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

Oh, this is so nice :-) I wish I'd be your co-worker

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

I was under the impression that being community champions we are co-workers @Thomas Schlegel 😉

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

Oh, yes, @Fadoua - I forgot  - hooray, pens for all of us  :-) 

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

I agree with @Thomas Schlegel and @Fadoua.

Obviously we need pens. 

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2018

@Meg Holbrookthey say: sharing is caring. I say: Sharing is loving 🥰

Like Meg Holbrook likes this
Zero Technicals April 16, 2019

Thanks, for sharing this keep doing this work.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events