Miscellaneous Monday - Looking back and looking forward

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2018

We've completed another revolution around the sun, my friends!

New Year's eve is a time to reminisce about the past and resolve to learn better and do better in the future. With these things in mind, I have a challenge for you today:

1. Share one memory or thread you've participated in this past year where you either had a lot of fun or learned something new.

2. What is one community resolution you'd like to make for the coming year?

Here are my ghosts of community past and future:

1. My all-time favorite thread this year is the Advent Calendar hosted by @Thomas Schlegel. These threads take all the wonderful things that weave together our community and showcase them in one post. The twist this year that Thomas incorporated was to post new responses on those threads in the theme of the holiday. Other really great threads this year were the AMA offerings that were new. It's always fun to get new perspectives and pick the brains of people in large-scale businesses. 

2. Next year - I want to write an article! I've held off on doing this for some time because I want to make sure that I am providing useful information that could really help people understand a workflow, or business case, but I am also sunk for time most days. I would love to just take the time and knock this out. 

Look forward to reading from all of you including my wonderful Atlassian friends who are the shephards of our little corner of the internet - @Erica Moss @Eaniel Deads @Monique vdB @Bridget @Stephanie Grice @Maura K @Test User KL

11 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2018

Happy New Year to all! 

2018 - There were so many threads and so many memories (Summit, interacting w/ other champions in Stride, etc) it is hard choose TBH. However, the one thing that pops out to me is being invited to be a part of the CAB. This made me feel that my contributions were making a difference and appreciated.

2019 - I want to be able to look back and see that my input as part of the CAB has truly made a difference in the effectiveness of the Community. From how members search and find what they are looking for to how we as Champions can better support the Community. For sure I want to continue contributing with articles as I think this adds a dimension beyond simple Q&A and make the Community a place where people come to hang out and interact. In other words, a place to give and receive.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2019

Happy New Year @Meg Holbrook et al! :) I missed Miscellaneous Monday yesterday as I was trying to get all my work done and inbox zero to start the year off right :)

I learned so much this year from all of you, it is hard to choose just one. Top of mind was the thread on "Three Things I wish Id known" for Tuesday Tips in the Welcome Center - I really enjoyed reading the Community Champions perspectives each week, and was happy to share my three things on December 18. For fun, I always looked forward to your Miscellaneous Monday and Friday Fun. So uplifting!

This coming year, I want to diversify and start learning more about some of the other Atlassian products that I have not used before. My wish would be to attend the Summit in April, fingers crossed. April is a busy time at work but I will see if I can make it happen. Would love to meet you all IRL someday :)

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2019

Happy new year to @Meg Holbrook and everyone else in this wonderful community!

to 1. 
I learned so much during this last year that it is hard to pick one. What really gave me great experience was starting my first discussion about Language Usage in Confluence. And that's where you can see - I love this wonderful and appreciate the help and knowledge you get here soooo much. 

to 2. 
For this year I want to give back some knowledge and fun  I got here to other community members. I also want to seize the chance given by Bridget to write an article. 

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 2, 2019

Happy 2019!  

I enjoyed (and learned a lot from) many great threads this year, so it's hard to pick one.  However, I truly enjoyed the 2018 Advent Calendar.  Great pictures, interesting comments, and something I looked forward to every day.

This year, we're upgrading from JIRA 7.2 to JIRA 7.13, so I'm going to have to get up-to-speed.  We thought we were going to the Cloud, but were unable to find a cloud-friendly version of nFeed or a substitute, so we're staying server-based.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2019

@Meg Holbrook Love this post, Meg! Challenge accepted. 😉

For your first question, you may as well be asking me to pick my favorite Taylor Swift song, as it is nearly impossible to narrow it down! I will say, though, that I've been very impressed with @Mary Ramirez's posts in the Diversity & Inclusion group, as they are always thoughtful and spark important dialogue.

Secondly, my community resolution is to extend the strong camaraderie I see among a core group of our Community Champions to the rest of the folks in the program. I find that newer Champs tend to feel a bit intimidated (I know you've expressed this sentiment in the past, Meg), and I want to better understand what those roadblocks are and how I can help remove them. In doing so, I think all Champs will feel more empowered, and it will benefit the Community at large.

Like # people like this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2019

Thank you @Erica Moss! You're the sweetest.

giphy.gif

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2019

Happy New Year!

My favorite posts or questions on the Community are the ones about applying PM and Scrum principles to the Atlassian toolkit.  What's an Epic? What's a Story? How do I manage my Releases? For that matter, what's a Release vs. a Component? I've met lots of PMP's, Scrum Masters, and others with an entire alphabet of letters after their names that are so tied to the PMBOK or whatever that they lose sight of how to put their knowledge into practice. I enjoy helping people apply what they know already to get  the most out of the tools. 

But most of all, I came to the Community to learn. In the New Year I'm going to spend more time looking for and learning from the questions I can't answer. To quote a book I'm (re)reading: 

quote-it-s-the-questions-we-can-t-answer-that-teach-us-the-most-they-teach-us-how-to-think-patrick-rothfuss-43-52-25.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2019

captures my sentiments for sure

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2019

There were so many great posts last year, but the first post which came to my mind was @Erica Moss' very personal post about Politics and the desire for community - the post itself and all the empathetic comments are proving once more, that our community is a very special precious one.

This year, we will start with Jira Service Desk, so I'll dive deeper into this topic, trying to read more than answering about it. Maybe I should also reactivate the admin and motivate him telling new tales of his kingdom - but he's so lazy sometimes :-)         

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2019

Really appreciate the kind words, @Thomas Schlegel!

Like Meg Holbrook likes this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2019

That WAS a fantastic article! Mossy is the bossy. 

Like # people like this
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2019

Nice

Like innnzzz6 likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2019

Oooh this is fun!! 

1) Memory = Going to Trello HQ and hanging out with @Erica Moss and Rani and Brendan and nerding out about Trello. (Honestly not just saying this cause this is an Atlassian post... it was genuinely one of my favorite 2018 memories :).. it's just the cherry on top that it was an IRL community situation.)

2) Resolution = I've been saying I want to learn to code for a long time, and this year is the year I'm going to do it! And that might include playing around with building power-ups for Trello at some point, and i'm 1000% going to need some quality community time to help with that :).

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2019

@Brittany Joiner Remember how we tried to get you to stay forever? 😉 Thank you for being a bright star IRL and in our Community. 💫

Like # people like this
rani
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2019

@Brittany Joiner I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING.

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2019

So many meetup tears in 2018 - love it. 

Like innnzzz6 likes this
innnzzz6 January 23, 2019

Nice

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2019

Well done on that new article post @Meg Holbrook. You already ticked off your resolution! 😍👏👑

1. All the blogs in which I learned about Prince Edward Island thanks to Community's very own PEI resident and Trello Godess... @_Trello_Leader__Jodi_LeBlanc ! #GreatMemoriesIn2018

2. I got an awesome invite from @Bridget to join the Community Authors group and write articles... I love sharing knowledge and experiences so I hope to really deliver on the promise of great reading material, both fun and serious! 😎💻📚

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2019

@Andy - PTC Redundant you truly made my day with your comment :) Hopefully you will come visit this summer - maybe it will be a future destination for an Atlassian Summit so everyone can come visit :)

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2019

Excellent! That is so great to hear @Jodi LeBlanc! You are the 2nd Atlassian buddy to say so in as many days. Fun Man Andy is on fire this week  😎🥇

I doubt it will be this summer but for sure one summer soon: coming for some PEI potato fries and local craft beers plus all the other goodies on offer.

If Atlassian Summit was to be held on PEI I shall be first in line for a ticket! What a Trello specific event? 🤩

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2019

So great to hear! :) Yes pick a summer and go for it, also keep in mind I am a great tour guide, especially when it comes to the Island. I will be sure to host a Trello Community event when you are in town :)

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2019
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2019

@Meg Holbrook Welcome!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc: Great! I am only interested in the tour if it is a SUP session round the whole island whilst holding the Trello event..... :oP Hehehe

Jokes. I look forward to the tour!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2019

Too funny @Andy - PTC Redundant SUP session will definitely be included as part of the Trello event :)

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2019

Excellent! I'm thinking a morning sunrise session. That would be tots amazing!

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events