Miscellaneous Monday – Idiot Box Edition

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

I’m not gonna lie, I talk a big game Monday through Thursday about my grand plans for the weekend. My working hours are filled with unicorn dreams of long bike rides by the river, catching up on that book I’ve been meaning to get around to, or busting out the family laundry like a boss.

By the time Friday rolls around though, put a fork in me… I’m done.  My couch sings her siren song and I watch my grand plans crumble in favor of a big warm hoodie and some stretchy pants. I make breakfast for my kids and flip on the tv. Cartoons for days, people.

Current favorites are Steven Universe, The Amazing World of Gumball, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and We Bare Bears. I’m sure my laundry pile will forgive me just this one morning…

Crystalgemsimagegrady.pngFinn_and_Jake_dancing.png5353bbfd80bd5hg4ZNyszCubs.png

Share some of your favorite cartoons and Saturday morning rituals with me, we like ‘em weird!

3 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 30, 2018

My TV guilty pleasure isn't cartoons but reality competition shows! Currently I'm watching RuPaul's Drag Race (and have a fantasy league going -- I'm in second place 🤞🏻) and just finished Top Chef and Project Runway. 

However, Luna Petunia was on at our house this morning. I love some of the shows my kid watches (like Odd Squad) but Luna Petunia... 😒

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

@Monique vdB - Have you seen Nailed It yet? I feel like this would be a valuable contribution to the next US Atlassian Summit

Here is my youngest and his kitten zonked out while watching TV:

30411577_10214828952572612_5022518646289896487_n.jpg

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 30, 2018

@Meg Holbrook we watched the Trump cake episode and laughed until we cried -- hilarious! I am a terrible, terrible cook, so I will participate in our Summit edition of Nailed It! for the sake of comedy.

Sweet little friends!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

Such a cozy photo, best buds!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

Happy Monday! This Miscellaneous Monday brought back so many fond memories of waking up as a child to watch Saturday morning cartoons, my favourite was the Smurfs. I had everything smurf-related: smurf wall paper, smurf figurines and stuffed toys, smurf pyjamas and comforter etc.. so may of called me a smurf obsessed five year old.

smurfs.jpg

These days my favourite Saturday morning routine is waking up early, drinking my morning coffee slowly, and making a bigger breakfast than through the weekdays. My husband and I then go to the Farmer's market and spend the day doing our favourite things - visiting family and friends and/or outdoor activities. 

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 30, 2018

@Jodi LeBlanc I used to love the Smurfs so much. But now I'm like WHERE ARE THE GIRL SMURFS THIS IS SEXIST and then I go around quoting Dogs and Smurfs at everyone. I'm fun at parties. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

@Monique vdB love the article you shared - very eye opening! Can't believe I didn't realize that back in the day when I was smurf obsessed!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

This line though, quoted from eternal truth: 

Kids are little animal stalkers, fascinated by absolutely anything an animal does.

----------

I remember having a similar conversation with my husband the other day about this show my youngest watches called Octonauts. He's obsessed with this show, and ALL the lead characters are male. Incidental female characters sprinkled throughout. 

Drives me nuts, I can't help it. I am also fun at parties, apparently >_>

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

@Jodi LeBlanc, looooove the Farmer's Market! We're fortunate to have about 4 within a mile of us each Saturday and Sunday, as well as a once-monthly antique market. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 30, 2018

@Meg Holbrook we went through an Octonauts phase here too. At least the engineer is female! But yes. Once you start noticing it, it's everywhere.

We can be fun at parties together. Let's have wine and rant about sexism in children's TV. Are you coming to Barcelona Summit?? :) 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

@Monique vdB, no Barcelona for me. It was difficult enough getting away to Summit when I live in the same state! 

The struggle is real, and I'll see you in Vegas 2019!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2018

Oh wow @Meg Holbrook four Farmer's Markets within a mile, sounds like a dream! We have indoor markets on Wednesday and Saturday, and in summer outdoor markets on Sunday. Love the atmosphere and all the farm fresh local eggs, fruit, vegetables and artisan crafts :) 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2018

I'm less about western cartoons, and more about Japanese Anime and videogames.

As a kid, I'd wake up super early on Sundays (Saturdays were usually spent on sports) so I could get the office computer first instead of the library computer. The office computer was the one dad used for work and the library was the "for school use" piece of pie. The office computer also had two monitors... one for Runescape (back in it's prime) or World of Warcraft (Pre-Catalyst days) and the other for anime, usually Naruto or Inuyasha (don't judge, I was like 12). 

Now, my Saturdays are spent playing League of Legends (Runescape died) or watching anime with my boyfriend and his four dogs. We just finished watching Pokemon and Cowboy Bebop.

I also cosplay, so I've been working on my outfits. I'm binge watching My Hero Academia so I can cosplay Sue:
Image result for asui my hero academia gif

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events