Miscellaneous Monday - How's it going with your 2020 resolutions?

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2020

ZERO OF ZERO IS 100% - PERFECT SCORE 🎯🏆

Happy Monday everybody, and welcome to another round of Meg's Miscellaneous Monday! Today it is my turn and this weekend I was thinking about my recent achievement with my.... "resolutions".

So, it's now February 3rd and over a month since NYE celebrations. 2020 is well under way... and how am I doing?

Bloody brilliant to be honest! I didn't set any resolutions for this year and therefore I got the perfect score. Everything is on track 100%!

Am I cheating?? No. I just don't believe in resolutions anymore. They never work and I used to to fail miserably at them. It all changed for me back at the end of 2015... "Great Moment Jars". I really liked the concept and so my resolution that year was to write them all down on small bits of paper and put them in a jar. I ended up filling two! It helped me realise that resolutions involving horrifically impossible goals were a total waste of time.

The jars became small notebooks I carry with me everywhere and now I focus on the epic-ness of life, rather than on what I will pretty much never achieve. Recently I also had a random calendar reminder pop up:

2019 me asking 2020 me how's it going along with a reminder to compare a year's worth of life: then vs. now! Really quite an interesting retrospective! I think I will make that my new New Year's Resolution... the Yearly Retro.

NEW YEAR, NEW YOU! SO HOW'S IT GOING? 🤩🌟

So, how's it going with you!?

Did you set any?

Are you sticking to them?

Are there some you want to change or improve?

Perhaps you have a completely different approach to- /method for this, like me?

Or maybe you just did a "Kirsty Maiden 2016" and failed after just 30min? (Warning... you're welcome to use a search engine on that one... but it's very much NSFW...!)

good-luck-with-your-new-year-resolution-meme.jpg

15 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2020

@Andy - PTC RedundantNo goals this side. But some things are on track,

• I have restarted my GYM after a break of 6 months.
  • Reading book is back on track
  • But, something is still missing, I don't know what :-)

Apart from this, I am working at same place for 10 years so change is not happening for me on work front :-(

Resolution Started - Resolution Done = Procrastination

Resolution is sad reality of life.

By the way 0/0 is undefined or infinity so you are doing better than everyone.

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2020

Sometimes resolutions aren't needed, and just directions! I saw a video the other day about making years themed, like "The year of reading", and allowing that theme to influence paths. If only I could remember where that video was...

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2020

Nice one @DPKJ ! Try not to let get you down 😉

Like DPKJ likes this
Yamuna Muna August 17, 2020

😊

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 3, 2020

To me, if you wait until 1 January to make a change you don't really want to change. Why delay taking action otherwise?

Image result for new year resolution fails"

P.S. Fun Man Andy! Surely you could have found a more wholesome example than that!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2020

@Kat Warner I can't stop laughing at that pic it's amazing!

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2020

Hahahaha, that's great!

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

I remember seeing this back in 2015 and it made me laugh so hard!! Every December 31st I think of this! Perfect share @Kat Warner 

xhevatmimin February 13, 2020

good point of view...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2020

I am at 100% - 0 for 0!

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

I'd consider that a success! Right?

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2020

Monday ALWAYS starts better with @Andy - PTC Redundant 😍

The first thing I thought after reading the title was:

"Ha! I'm dealing better than ever because I don't have ANY new year resolutions to ruin!"

And never had - if I want to make a change, I am starting it right away. I don't believe in promises like "I'll start working out/or diet/or being productive from Monday." If you can't start changing now, what makes you think that you'll improve on Monday. :)

So, no contribution to this topic 😎

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Hahaha! How kind of you to say @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ ! 😇🙏
I really like that attitude to starting right away! Thanks for the great contribution to this MegMIscMon ! ! 🤩

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2020

I'm going to give a plug to @Jodi LeBlanc and recommend that people check out her article here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/2020-Thrive-and-Execute/ba-p/1274758

Because of that article I didn't make a resolution per se, but chose a single word to be the theme of everything I do in 2020, and so far I'd say things are going really well!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

Thanks Jimmy for sharing my post, and happy to hear you are still injecting your theme word into everything you do!

As for me my two words are keeping me on track and as mentioned in my post, my 2020 goals are several tiny bite size actions that have now all become habits after doing them each day since late December. So yes I am on track and do a quick check-in each morning to review my goals so they stay top of mind throughout the day. 

Awesome MMM! Love the jar/journal idea and the calendar pop up check-in reminders!

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

It is a GREAT article indeed @Jimmy Seddon ! Hats off to our Community Superstar Jod "LEvel10"BLANC 🌟👏🔟
@Jodi LeBlanc 

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

I usually don't set any Resolutions for New year.

I like to go with the flow of life rather than setting expectations to myself and later getting disappointed as I don't meet them. 

- Sri

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

That's a nice way of going through live @Sri Kumar : sounds exceptionally positive ❣️

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 3, 2020

I am an insane person and make 10 resolutions every year, then do monthly checkins with myself. I killed it in January: read 8 books, painted 3 watercolors, worked out, cut back on drinking, volunteered, paid off a loan, cooked new recipes, yadda yadda. I'm gunning for 100% this year (last year I made it to 85%) and am off to a strong start! 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

You are a monster @Monique vdB 😳

I should print a picture of you and use it for daily courage. 

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

Wow @Monique vdB that's amazing!

you rock kimmy schmidt GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Wow Mo, how do you have time to do your job? ;) Impressive....

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Wow, that's a LOT of resolutions! Most of the time I only hear of people making a couple at most.

Like # people like this
Alison
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Go Mo!! What watercolors did you paint? Would love to see them if you want to share :) 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 5, 2020

@Alison yes! I do tutorials because I'm still learning! These were my January ones:

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.59.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.59.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.59.28 AM.png

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Monique vdB my wife paints with watercolors every night! Does tutorials...blogs...is on numerous forums, etc. Will have to introduce you to each other.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

@Monique vdB , Those are some good paintings 👌👌👌👌

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
February 5, 2020

@Shawn Kessler yes! I would love that! 

Like # people like this
Alison
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Monique vdB those are beautiful. I especially love the colors of that beetle. Keep it up in 2020!!

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

WOW!!! Now that is resolution management. Keep it up! and keep the updates coming

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Monique vdB Those paintings are beautiful, especially the lemons! You know what they say... when life gives you lemons, paint them and hang the picture on the wall. :P

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2020

@Monique vdB they are sooo beautiful! 

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Queen Mo! 👑
I both simultaneously love and hate you for this!

What a stellar performance in 2020 and in regards to the watercolours, what a GREAT result. 

Actually, I can't hate you at all... I'm too inspired!!!! 😍

@Monique vdB 

david_hibler February 3, 2020

I stopped setting resolutions a long time ago because I got too discouraged when I didn't meet them.  I started picking 2 or 3 things to focus on out of what seems to be an ever growing list.  That at least helps me working making progress for those things.

So far, 2020 has been good.

(1) Started running again after recovering from a long battle with plantar fasciitis.  Technically, I started back in October when I started trying to walk every day and build up strength in my foot, but I started actually running again in January.

(2) Decluttering my home office of all the old PC parts and other items that I never use any more and don't have to use when friends call needing help to repair their PCs.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Wow... thanks for the share @david_hibler ! Plantar fasciitis.. that must have sucked, but good for you. 

I really love decluttering... but for some reason, i never seem to be finished....?? Do you ever have that?
(Maybe I'm cursed...!?)

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2020

I decided not to make any resolutions this year either.

Instead, I'm working to the rule that...

Done is better than perfect (1).png

...and that's ok. A done something is better than a perfect nothing. 

So although I'm working super hard on a number of aspects in my life at the moment, I know not to beat myself up when it wasn't perfect, but I did it anyway.

I'm attempting to declutter the house, so if I do a drawer; that's good, it wasn't the whole room, but it was a drawer that wasn't done yesterday.

Likewise, because I have Carpel Tunnel, I can't lift weights anymore, so I'm doing Tai Chi, Meditation, Dance and Barre instead. It's not perfect, but physically I can't do weights at the moment, not because I don't want to, but because physically right now, I can't. But I do something.

So if anything, my resolution is probably - be a bit better today at something than I was yesterday - that suits me fine!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

A done something is better than a perfect nothing. 

Very well said @Esme Crutchley totally by your side. Striving for perfection will only make you less capable and less creative in finding ways to improve :)

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

Totally @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ 

I found that when I switched and focused on doing something rather than everything being perfect I got so much more done!

And I stopped beating myself up over it if it wasn't perfect. 

If everything was perfect, what would there be left to work for?

:)

ABC Network abc sutherland designated survivor kiefer GIF

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

@Esme Crutchley Very good decision and way of life. 🙂

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

❤️Fully on board with this

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

I agree 100%! You can always come back and iterate if needed :)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

NIce reminder to me @Esme Crutchley that I need to stop trying to have every as perfect as possible.

Perfect doesn't exist, except it does, in everything and all the time 😜

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

So borrowing from your philosophy, I am actually 1-1 or 100% My lone resolution? To not make any resolutions - Success!! And no dividing by zero for @DPKJ   :-)

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

@John Funknice going!

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Hmmm... by making a resolution not to make resolutions, isn't that a resolution? My brain hurts.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Excellent stuff @John Funk ! Despite no resolutions, any cool success points already achieved for 2020 already?

Hahaha! I don't think you're wrong @Emily Koch ! #Brainhurt 😅😝

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

I am making a great effort to spend lots of more time with the family this year, before my son goes off to college :)

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

And? How's it going this year?

Spending time with family is a really good resolution, though I think a lot of the time people tend to make it short-term (just for the year). Even if your son is far away after this year, though, maybe you could still check in every so often to spend more time with him!

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

It is going great--heading to my son's wrestling tournament in a few minutes :)

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Have fun! And I hope he clobbers the competition.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

Good one 👌@Shawn Kessler . Family first 🙂

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

He is doing great this year--heading to the county championships next week!

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Cracking stuff @Shawn Kessler : family time is SO important! 😍❣️

Wrestling is damn awesome, and I love how passionate the parents are at events. HARDCORE!!! 💪🤼‍♂️🏆

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

I made my resolution vaguer this year - to make healthier changes to my life. Overall, it's been going well! I've been working out every day and eating healthier than I used to, and even though I haven't seen too many visible changes, I can feel a difference. Sometimes not having a specific goal can help a lot.

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Keep up the good work! I like it when you take your workout breaks--you come back refreshed and ready to continue the day!

Like Emily Koch likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

@Emily Koch , Do you have any Cheat days 🙂. If yes then how often 🙂

Like Emily Koch likes this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Not necessarily cheat days, but I will make sure to take a lighter or rest day exercise-wise if I'm REALLY hurting. Usually that isn't more than one day a week, but I'm learning to listen to myself and know when a short break is needed. Over time, things have gotten easier, too, so I'm able to do fewer exercise modifications and take fewer recovery days compared to when I started.

Eating-wise, no cheats and more adherence to a theme. If I know I'm going out somewhere, I'll make sure the choices I make are healthier options than I would choose normally.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

Good one @Emily Koch 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Congrats on getting that feeling of difference @Emily Koch : often metaphsyical is better than physical and those moments are the best IMHO! 💙👏
Keep up the good work!

Alison
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

I'm in the same boat as @Andy - PTC Redundant . I haven't set any explicit 2020 resolutions so am at 100% of my goal. 

However, just because I didn't make resolutions doesn't mean I don't have plans! A few things I plan on doing this year:

• Celebrate Leap Day - February 29 is coming up! Only comes around once every four years. This year, I'll be taking a weekend trip to Stinson Beach where I plan on relaxing by the sea.
  • Work with a career coach - Atlassian provides tuition reimbursement that allows us to invest in our growth; whether it's through conferences, courses, or certifications. I'd like to use my training to work with a coach to better understand my strengths and opportunities where I can apply them.
  • Complete my second triathlon. I did my first one last year and would like to do the same one again to improve my course time.
Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

Wow, @Alison , I like they way you plan your bucket list for 2020 which cover different aspects .

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Congrats on completing a triathalon! One is already a pretty big accomplishment, so I hope you have a great time on #2 :)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Excellent plans @Alison !! Wish you the best of luck with your triathlon. I think working with a career coach is an extremely wise move. I've done it before. I wish you the best of luck with it! 

Like Alison likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

I'm ... managing. Not 100% on track but I haven't let my resolution disappear. I'm reading A LOT more than usual. Maybe my goal was a little too high :P We'll see

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Fernando Bordallo What was the goal? 

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

My number 1 motto in life might just help you @Fernando Bordallo :

Never Give Up, You're Doing Great! 🌟🤩

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2020

Thanks for this ;)

@Emily Koch, the goal is to read a book and write a one-pager summary for it every week. By the end of the year, I believe I'll get there 🤔 After a few weeks of going at it I've read 4 books and written 2 1/2 summaries, created a nice summary template. Choosing the right book is key I've found (some have terrible font size, others lack a good narrative to flow with and I tend to start falling asleep). Looking forward to seeing what else I discover along the way

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

For anyone struggling with their resolutions, goals, themes, challenges (call it what you will) I recently read something super duper awesome on Pinterest... maybe you've heard it already?

Archer: No matter what I do I'm not hitting my target.

Coach: It's because you're too focused on the goal, and not on your actions.

#mindBLOW 🤯 #relatable 😳

actionstarget.gif

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Wow that is sooooooo good!!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Yeah, right!!? 😄

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events