Miscellaneous Monday - How are Atlassian Apps influencing your life!??

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2021

A typical (or weekend) day...

When I first log on to the work laptop, I check my high priorities Board on Trello and make sure I am focused, ready for an efficient & productive day

Two cards on that Board actually link me to: i) my own open Issues in Jira and ii) my actions listed in confluence.

So within the first 15min I am planned and ready for the work day

Then the work day is over... back to Trello and checking in on my personal items. Work out what I want to achieve urgently in the 1 hour of time I have to myself before it's family evening time!
About 50% of that time is dedicated to house renovations this summer, so a check on our Confluence Space is also vital!
On the weekends, it's all about family time & personal life management.

Post-family time a quick check-up on Atlassian Community items.
On days that I have time set aside for ACL volunteer work I'll dive into our Planning on Confluence.

Suffice to say, nearly every hour that I am awake, I am influence by Atlassian... even on the weekends! 🤪

Could I live without them!?

As a PM in my regular life, I am renowned for my use of our Atlassian ecosystem. The first question a new team member always asks me (who's worked with before) will always be "what's the Jira Project/Confluence Space link?".
Even in my life as a Community Leader I am all over the Atlassian Apps portfolios, whilst I use a few key Atlassian products to help me be as successful as possible in my personal life also!

No matter whether I am leading a professional team (that utilizes Jira/Confluence/Bit-bucket/Etc), keeping tabs on my own personal development & life goals (Trello), moving house (Confluence), or collaborating on awesome Atlassian Community Events (Confluence... but also = #ShamelessSelfPromotion: ACE.atlassian.com/Rotterdam) Atlassian has a massive influence on my life!

I have to say though... it goes quite a bit deeper than just using the apps. I get a genuine BUZZ out of using the Atlassian portfolio (including Marketplace Apps). It gives me a reason to be almost, and I definitely know that by using the products I can strive to be the absolute best me I can, each & every day!

Ergo, yes I probably could live without them, but NO, I do not want to! 😝

If you're on Community...

...then it's probably already a given that Atlassian Apps influences your life!

However, I what to know HOW! Tell me the deets, please. Is it about work related activities? Or is it purely for pleasure?

What is the influence on your (work or personal) life!?? 🤔

Influencers.jpg

4 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2021

So my story is easy to summarise - Atlassian has been the primary part of my job for 17 years.

My job over that time has been "help people with Atlassian stuff"

At the first place I ran into Jira, it was completely full-on Jira work - I had to be nicknamed "JiraNic" to avoid clashing with the other four "Nick"s in the team, but that changed to "AtlassianNic" when Atlassian turned its hand to Confluence and I installed it for the developers.  At the place just before Adaptavist, it got so bad, I became "Nira" and the boss got nira@that.place set up as an email alias so people didn't have to look up who was really behind the name.

Almost everything I've done for work in that time has been either as a result of someone creating a Jira issue and it (eventually) being assigned to me, someone saying "we need an issue tracker", or I've at least logged what I did on an issue. 

There is some cross-over to not-work, with to-do lists for non day-to-day tasks around the house going into a Jira, but that mostly moved to Trello when I needed to learn that because Atlassian bought it. 

Docs like "How to use our house / where the accounts are / what you need to read if I go under a bus / the last 6 years tax returns" are all still in Confluence of course (Oh, and my copy-and-paste-then-personalise answers for community are in Confluence too). 

And the scripts that update the media box, control the lighting, report on the security settings, remind me to vaccinate myself or the cat, and tell me when the mother-in-law has nearly emptied the wine-fridge, all kept in Bitbucket.  

I do need to make the time to migrate them all up into Cloud properly though, that's still an open issue in my home Jira...

There's also been a few non-technical things Atlassian has influenced.  A lot of my friends have run into Atlassian stuff one way or another, so I've had a few beers bought for me for helping out sometimes of course, but the far more interesting one is "meeting new people". 

I have a habit of carrying or wearing Atlassian swag outside work.  My "school bag" is Atlassian, 3/4 of my t-shirts are Atlassian or Adaptavist, most of my coats and all of my hoodies, heck even some of my socks have Charlie on them. 

These have been recognised and I've ended up going for a coffee or a pint with complete strangers based on "hey, do you work for Jira/Confluence then?".  Mostly while I'm lurking in airports or railway stations (railways happen a lot - I commute into London when I go to the office, so I'm usually on at least 4 trains and 3 different stations on those days), but I've also been caught out by branded swag while wandering over an active volcano, on some islands formed by the rim of an extinct one, halfway up Scafell Pike, in a waxworks, at a distillery and when I was trying to work out the exact spot the first Dalek "hatched" in the studio I was touring.  Thanks Charlie!

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2021

I jumped into the Atlassian World 6 years ago, and it basically changed a big chunk of my life. Working with Jira and Confluence daily helped me stay organized and productive and keep track of my giant backlog of stuff to do (despite the colleagues who didn't want to read or check pages and boards). 

I started using Confluence for my personal projects as well and it, even more, turned into a favorite place for planning, work, collaboration, content creation, and any other form of writing. 

As Nick said, I also have this habit of proudly wearing Atlassian swag :) I love each item I have, and it reminds me of wonderful memories and people, who are not just the Atlassian Community, but my dear friends. 💙

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2021

Great to read about the stories & experiences of our great Atlassian Community Leaders!

Like Fun Man Andy likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2021

Atlassian tools haven't been a major part of my life - yet, eventually the longer I live, they will be. 😅

• I may or may not have used a Trello board to manage aspects of my life.
  • I may or may not have used a Jira project to manage aspects of my life.
  • I definitely have tried to get non-work people to use Jira Cloud (they're usually not into this) and Trello (folks are pretty receptive to this, especially when I show them the mobile app).

Volunteering on forums has been a fun hobby, and I continue to love contributing on sites like Atlassian Community!

Like Fun Man Andy likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events