Miscellaneous Monday - Hometown Throwdown

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2018

Happy Monday Morning, hope you all had a wonderful weekend and are at least through your first cup of coffee!

In this week's edition of Miscellaneous Monday, I want to talk about your favorite hometown attractions, restaurants, quirks, and quaint qualities. (hooray for alliteration)

Are you from West Philadelphia, born and raised? Show me the playground where you spent most of your days: chillin out maxin and relaxin all cool. 

Are you from Barcelona and close your eyes, pretending you're dancing in the street? 

When you're representing the west coast in San Francisco, do you remember to wear flowers in your hair? 

Here are a few of my favorite spots in Sacramento, California :)

Tower Bridge in Downtown Sacramento - The population of Sacramento more than doubled between 1910 and 1935, so Sacramento had to replace the older M street bridge which could not handle a large volume of traffic. This bridge was constructed in 1934 and is now considered a historic place. 

Sacramento-California

Rick's Dessert Diner in Midtown Sacramento - This 50's-themed restaurant has been open in downtown Sacramento for over 30 years! They've introduced over 285 desserts over the years, and it's a great place to grab a milkshake, or a slice of cake, and maybe have a little champagne.

11222611_1001486209875156_7338167650240301907_o.jpg

The California State Railroad Museum in Historic Old Town Sacramento - 225,000 square feet of railroad exhibits, restored railcars from as far back as 1862, and an extensive educational program for elementary students. During the spring through fall, they host a 'river train excursion' where select trains are available for small day trips up and down the Sacramento river. 

california-sacramento-state-railway-museum-1

7 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2018

Bonus round: Which songs were referenced in the post? Are there any songs that have been written about your city? Share below!

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

I think one of the trains knows the way to San Jose

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2018

Yeah!! That's a good one. 

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

San Francisco ❤️

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2018
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Yay! you do know what the Fresh Prince listens to every time he is going to California in a big iron dirigible!

I'm sure Michael Buble could sing to everyone at Summit while they are singin' swayin' with records playin'

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

@Scott Theus - Yes!

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 20, 2018

I grew up in Boothwyn, PA, but went to K-12 in Wilmington, Dela-where.  If you're from Delaware, you know how obsessed everyone is with the damn Brandywine River. We even had history classes in school about it. Seriously, it's all anyone could ever talk about. And now it's one of my favorite places...

The only other thing that I really love about Delaware is that it's where Dead Poets Society was filmed! 

waterloo mills 2.jpg

dead-poets-society-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

Like Veronique DUFOUR likes this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2018

One of the best movies, from one of the best actors to ever have existed. 

Oh captain, my captain!

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

Saw that move as a High School freshman....always loved it. <3

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

Woah, I learned something new today- thanks!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Have you seen "Ladybird?" I always think of it now when people mention Sacramento.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2018

Yes ma'am! The entirety of it was filmed about ten minutes up the way from me. It's funny to watch Ladybird with Sacramento natives because all of us almost in sync are like 'Oh! I know that place! That's _____ over by _____!'

I guess it's probably the same for anyone watching a movie filmed in their hood, but people from Sacramento are not used to being recognized for anything LOL. 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 20, 2018

Napier, New Zealand is the Art Deco Capital of the world thanks for some forward thinking people trying to find a silver lining for the cloud that was the 1931 earthquake that caused a lot of property damage, many lives lost, and the coastline to lift up permanently*.

I am not a great ambassador for my hometown. When given the speech topic "Napier - for the time of your life" I took the counter perspective and was a class favourite with by version "Napier - for the time of your death from boredom!". Unsurprisingly I did not get put through to the finals being run by the local tourism group - though I did manage to polish up the speech and get the the school speech finals three years later with the same catchy title.

* for a long time. Who knows what the tectonic plates will do in the future.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2018

I love that the finals were for a tourism group. Cracking up over here!

We have some old art deco buildings from that same period here in Sacramento, lots of theaters. Would be neat to visit (although it sounds like there isn't much going on for permanent residents). 

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

hahaha,  Haven't made it that far North in my NZ travels, maybe someday!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 23, 2018

Napier is a great place to visit and many people born there never want to leave. I just prefer my cities to have more than 60,000 people in them.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

Upwards of half a million people live in Sacramento, so a number that small blows my mind. 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2018

I've been to Rick's in Sacramento a couple times coming back from Tahoe! It's so rich and tasty.

I grew up in the largest city in the US to be fully below sea level! It's a farm town in south eastern California and this view is at the end of my street. The tip of the mountain is in Mexico, which you can see from my childhood bedroom, so I joke that I lived so close to Mexico I could see it from my house!

Image result for imperial valley

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2018

That's BEAUTIFUL! California has the beautiful agricultural areas. Flying over the delta is breathtaking. 

Tahoe is probably one of my favorite places, do you visit often? I've never been there in the winter, which feels weird to say out loud. 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2018

Funny @Meg Holbrook - before this summer I had only visited in winter! I try to get out to the Tahoe area every few months. Usually it's not more than 4 times a year, but I'm starting to think I might want to make it a more regular thing, especially after visiting this summer for the first time! My dog especially loved the hikes and swimming (and so did I).

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

I've lived my entire life in and around Cleveland, Ohio, here's what you probably know already:

• We used to have a really good basketball team, until Lebron left (again)
  • We have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (I've never been.)
  • We have a pretty good baseball team, I'm looking forward to the posts season again this year.
  • The only think I'll say about our (American) football team is that I went to the Perfect Season parade last winter. It was cold.

With all of that, Cleveland gets a really bad reputation. But what you don't know is that:

• The food is really good. And I mean REALLY good...Iron Chef Michael Simon has a few restaurants here
  • The Cleveland Clinic is consistently among the 5 best hospitals in the world. 
  • Our skyline may need more tall buildings, but the ones we do have are stunning.8107106629_1130791d03_z.jpg

• There are some beautiful status in and around the city

8088735577_b3b3c86c00_z.jpg

• Before Trans-Atlantic shipping became safer with steam power, Cleveland was the busiest port in the country and larger than New York.16077824168_70cecfe387_z.jpg
  • All that shipping brought people from all over the world, but mostly from Eastern European nations. They formed neighborhoods that still bear their names like Slavic Village and Little Italy. They also built stunning churches like St. Stanislaus that was visited by  Cardinal Karol Wojtyla in 1969 (later known as Saint Pope John Paul II.)
  • 15238363579_b0c8be236d_k.jpg
  • And...speaking of New York, Cleveland has the best theater district east of the Mississippi, outside of New York 
  • The shoreline could use some attention, but Lake Erie is a gem. (It's much better since the Cuyahoga River caught on fire 40+ years ago, which, by the way, prompted Congress to  pass the Environmental Protection Act and form the EPA.)
  • 4784099310_f030e4ca1a_z.jpg
  • If you're looking for green space, Cleveland is home to one of the most visited parks in the country, the Cuyahoga National Park with miles and miles of trains, lakes, waterfalls, it's own rail line, and more. 
  • The Cleveland Orchestra is world renown
  • If you're looking for more lively entertainment there are comedy clubs, several concert venues, etc. Or, you can always find a live band playing somewhere; there are several good small venues (with adult beverages.)
  • 8198526790_8a4336ff8e_z.jpg5826568907_ba70db9394_z.jpg8390609313_de279ea367_k.jpg

So....don't pay attention to what you hear from others. Cleveland is a great city, with great people. When you visit ask a local to help you get away from the canned touristy stuff and really see the city. You won't be disappointed. 

Like Veronique DUFOUR likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

oh...I forgot the songs!

How could I forget to say that this "Skinny Little Boy" thinks that "Cleveland Rocks," that every time I leave "My Town" I want to go back to "Ohio, that "My City (was) Gone", but not anymore! Yes, the "Cuyahoga" did "Burn On," but it's still the "Heart of Rock and Roll."

---I'm sure I could go on.

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2018

Honestly, I love Cleveland.  I even tried working in Strongsville for a year.  But owning a fixer upper in Columbus made a full move difficult.   Still I am up there several times a year.  Need too get my West Side Market fix soon!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

@Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ let me know when you do, maybe we can meet up at Sokolowskis'. It's better than anything in North Market and could give German Town a run for the money.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

@Scott Theus - you could honestly work for a travel company, have you thought about moonlighting as one!? :D

I feel like everything I learned about Cleveland I learned from the Drew Carey show though, so obviously I'm not cultured HA!

Veronique DUFOUR November 16, 2020

In my home town there is a little mountain and on it you have a beautiful view of the town on one side and on the other side, a beautiful view of the St-Lawrence river. I prefer to go there during Fall to smell the leaves and see their beautiful colors.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events