Miscellaneous Monday - Do One Thing Different

Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

I've been on a introspective journey lately as I embrace middle age. I turn 52 this month. On paper I have another 28 - 30 years, but we really never know how long we have. 

To keep myself on my toes, I have fully embraced the power of change. Case in point, I am in the middle of a job change because I found myself getting complacent, so I decided to change it up. New company, new-ish industry. Totally excited for world domination again.

Change can be hard. 

Change can be scary.

Change can also be a blessing.

So, for this Miscellaneous Monday, I challenge you to do one thing different today. Just to change things up a little and note how it makes you feel.

It doesn't have to be anything crazy:

- brush your teeth with your opposite hand

- take an alternate route home

- go for a walk when you would normally watch TV

To quote the great David Bowie:

Ch-ch-changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
(Pretty soon now you're gonna get older)

33 comments

Comment

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro August 15, 2022

Hi @Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ 

It's a nice challenge and not so easy.

I decided today to drink a coffee with my left hand. And I'll try to do something different each day.

Thanks for posting it! 

I wish you a great week! 😃

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

Love it!  Just a small fun change.

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro August 15, 2022

Thank you, Buddy!

I grab everything and write with my right hand, so it's a challenge accepted, hahahah!

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

Great topic @Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ 

I try to mix things up and do something different everyday. Yesterday, I went for a walk in the AZ heat and tried a different route than I normally take. Today, I am going to try a different workout on one of my workout apps and see how I do. I'm trying to rev up my workouts (that's a term from Virgin Pulse)! 

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

Yes!  This is one I always need to change up - exercise. It does a body good and keeps you from getting complacent.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

Great topic @Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ . I am a big proponent of change. I firmly believe that thru change we learn, fail, succeed and advance. 

To that end, I accept your challenge! I decided to take my dogs to a new park today for a romp in the woods. Certainly they enjoyed the change very much!

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

Perfect @Jack Brickey I know the pooches enjoyed!  Change usually means out side of our comfort zone.... and that is where the magic happens.   

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

@Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ love your story man!

It's very aspiring! Making my own calculations about the road I walked and the road that's left, it's kind of terrifying but in the same time kind of alarming. So for today my change will be to think only positive and try to reject all negative thoughts!

Thanks for this!

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

That is one of the best little changes you could make Alex!

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

This topic is so close to my heart as we speak the same language @Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_!
To me, change is always a way to observe, learn, and challenge myself to step on unfamiliar grounds. Even in the darkest hours, change is always for a good reason.

That said, with my schedule always being precisely calculated, I will take a few extra minutes to prepare and enjoy my lunch away from the desk (sounds silly, but it's almost impossible for me to do.. no rest for the wicked, I guess!)

I'm sure you'll dominate the new area in no time! 

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

Well said @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ !  Now just make sure you pay attention to Arnold during your lunch break :) 

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

Great topic.
Change, change is what I do.
The best quote from a movie ( I use this a lot ).
"Change is good Donkey" ~Shrek -- Shrek II~

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

LOL! That is awesome.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

Yes, very true. Something everybody should do more often.
When a change is good, it is real good.
When a change leads to a not so good result, hey, you can still plan on the next change - seriously, most times in life nothing really dramatic will happen when a plan turns out not to be perfect.

Many times it is just a fear (of whatever) that keeps us from unlocking new perspectives, chances and little encounters.

Like Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ likes this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

Yes sir.

Change usually equals the unknown and we can be afraid of the unknown. I am personally at a point where I embrace the unknown and learn from the experience (good or not so good)

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

Interesting challenge idea. Today I actually took my lunch break and stepped away from my computer while doing so. My brain enjoyed disconnecting and focusing on anything but work for an hour.

Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

Perfect!

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

Nice

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

If you shave with a blade, try using your other hand. Wakes you up fast!

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

More seriously, repeating patterns and habits in my life have been a concern since I was a small child. So I make an effort to just do things different ways, to try and hold OCD back. It doesn't address underlying stuff, but it is a good idea to shake ourselves up occasionally

Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

LOL!! 

"but it is a good idea to shake ourselves up occasionally"

exactly this @Matt Doar 

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2022

Challenges make you alive. It doesn't matter if you are 50 or 20, the important thing is to have plans and do everything to achieve your goals.

Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

Exactly Fabio!!

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2022

I think patterns or habits make us comfortable.  It is great to get out of our comfort zones so we can grow.  @Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ great topic.

Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

Right Brant - we tend to lull ourselves into complacency when we go on autopilot. Just a little change is needed to wake us up.

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2022

I've been smoking for over 50 years.
I'm in the process of stopping.
I'm down to 8 a day from 75.
It starts in the morning.
Instead of coffee and a cigarette I now hit the hot-tub first then I make up stuff to keep me busy stalling for at least an hour and a half before I allow myself that first dart.

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

Craig - this is awesome. Besides a support framework, It is all about changing your normal routine up.  When you normally would fire one up - go for a walk, or learn a new skill/hobby.  I know, 7 years ago, I quite drinking and had to make these changes.  I am seriously pulling for you.

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

Hey Craig!

I can relate to you. I quit smoking for almost two years and it was the best decision ever!

Doing little tricks, like you do, may help you get one step closer to your goal. I would do whatever kept me busy, in order not to smoke. Another thing that helped me was an application which provided stats of how my health was improving each day. That really kept me motivated (gamification).

Hope all the best and I really hope success in reaching your goal!

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

Still doing one thing different every morning.
This morning I chased the cat.
Tomorrow it might be the dog.
:)

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2022

@Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ thanks for this contribution. I recently was on a 16 day OOO vacation with family in Israel and we walked between 8-15 miles each day. We had a car, but it was generally easier and more enjoyable to walk rather than to drive. When at home in the US though I would jump in the car just to go around the corner.

With your post in mind and really thinking hard about the impact that the habit of driving everywhere has on my own health and world health I have started walking more now that I am home. So far I have been successful. It takes some better planning and pulling my butt off the couch sooner to get to places on time, but it is certainly always more enjoyable in the end. 

Next week's plan is to walk to the train in the morning rather than driving .85 miles and parking at the station. Maybe I'll check back in here and update everyone on my progress...

Good luck in your new role of world domination! 

Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2022

decide to do meditation..........but with kids around seems a quite challenge

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

Woooosaaaaahhhhh!

Woosah.gif

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

This is a great idea. I am partial to things like random acts of kindness or making sure you tell people thank you. This is something I also do at work, like if anyone give me a suggestion that helps me out, I always go back and say thanks. We also have kudos at work to do this. I will try from now on to think of someone to give a kudo to each Monday!

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2022

Today I'll take the sponge bath.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2022

@Craig Nodwell take the sponge bath?  Are you doing OK?

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2022

I'm getting there.
Thanks for asking.

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

Today I'll take a nap in front of my tv.

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2022

Good Idea, 

yes we have to try different things.

today I walked from my home to clock tower(10 kms) to my home,  

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

Old habits die hard ...

FB_IMG_1665408719769.jpg

Like vikram likes this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2022

good idea @Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ 

for a change I totally converted to viggie. 

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2022

@Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ great topic . I decided to cook and feed some stray dogs around my area. 

Like Steven Mustari likes this
Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2022

This is a great start to making a difference. There have been numerous things my wife and I have done in our lives this way and it helps create good habits if you can stick to it. Change something. If you like it try to hang on... and if you can it becomes habit and it might just improve quality of life, especially in such a static state it can feel like these days.

The little can make a huge difference!

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2022

great Idea, I am trying to eat only veggie.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events