Miscellaneous Monday - Beatbox Your Way to Glory

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2018

Morning all, 

I turned 30 this past weekend. Getting older is weird. As a kid, I don't think I ever considered what getting older was like, it was just something that I saw other people do. As a teenager it was assumed that I wouldn't make it to 30, that I'd just go out in a blaze of pubescent glory. I'm grateful to have made it through another year to share experiences and expertise with you all on the Community. Cheers!

Now onto the fun stuff!

This weekend, in a bar full of people and pumped full of liquid courage, I proudly exclaimed that I was a pro-level beatboxer... then proceeded to thoroughly embarrass myself in front of friend and stranger alike. You may be surprised to find out that I am not, in fact, a pro-level beatboxer. In reality I have never beatboxed in my life.

Alas, there is no videographic evidence, but I can assure you it was painful and your imaginations would not do it justice. 

If you are like me and need to brush up on your beatboxing skills to impress your friends, attract the mate of your dreams, or just make a dollar on the subway, I offer you Incredibox

This game has been around for years and years in a number of iterations (and most-recently a mobile app) where you can combine beatboxed sounds recorded by the French creator into limitless versions on a theme. 

Go ahead, give it a try. Don't be like Meg. 

8 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2018

I can't get enough of your posts Meg! I love it, will try it today!!!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Definitely a great Monday boredom blaster if you need to distract yourself for a few minutes, highly recommend. 

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

hat's insane, just tried it, this thing is amazing.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

OMG. I could play with this all day.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

@Scott Theus - the prolevel beatboxer. 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Happy birthday @Meg Holbrook!

I've been told that I have zero musical talent, in one case while drunkenly belting out "Yellow Submarine" during a frat house karaoke party. (Did you know that song has more lines than "we all live in a yellow submarine??) So...I think I'll avoid the beatbox and leave it to the professionals. 

Not even autotune could help me.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Try it out Scott, you don't need to input anything from your voice, that's pre recorded, it's a mixing skill we're evaluating there!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

@Scott Theus - In reality though, were ANY of the other lyrics as important to driving the story as the fact that they LIVED in a yellow submarine? That's mind-blowing in itself. 

I remember watching the Yellow Submarine animated film on an old VHS my mom had laying around when I was a kid. Good times, buddy. 

I need to dig up the video of my husband performing 'Baby Got Back' at Karaoke a couple of years ago. Oh, the shameeeeee!

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2018

Ha ha ha. I have done that before, some friends and I back in the earlier 00's thought we had skills. So we randomly say "Drop a beat" and then someone would beat box while the other tapped on a table or whatever was close and the others would then spit some rhymes. Well I had a bit to drink and thought I got the beat box this time, they said "Drop a beat" and ummmm yeah it basically sounded like a car on its last leg. I didn't take care of that part anymore! Ah the earlier 00's. That makes me think of the time I did karaoke to Regulate but that's a story for another time.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

I'm going to randomly follow you in discussion threads and call you out to 'drop the beat' because nothing makes me giggle more than this right now. 

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2018

Ha ha ha thanks Meg! I will be on the lookout for the chance to drop a sick beat....like literally sounding like I am sick.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

Happy birthday Meg! Wow 30 that is a great age or at least what I can recall of it. I actually hit 2x that in August. Yep I'm old and have to wonder if I'm not the senior Community member in the group. LOL...that sounds so sad.

I can't say that I have actually exposed the world to my beatboxing talents but do recall a night of tequila shots that ended w/ karoke and me singing Rawhide. Tequila...the ultimate courage juice.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

Tequila... it makes me happy.  (hic)

I can't believe @Jack Brickey is twice @Meg Holbrook 's claimed age.  (I think she's 27, and I'm still pretty sure Jack is still under twice that).

Happy Birthday Meg!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Funny enough, tequila was is my poison of choice, and ultimately what led to my downfall. 

Hey, congrats on your 60th, that's a badge of honor!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Since @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- says I'm 27, I'm going to stick with that ;)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

LOL....well if you guys are at Summit this year it will be my treat at the tequila bar. Might even try some beatboxing. ;)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

I'll be in attendance next year. Make sure you pour one out for your homies :)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

Happy Birthday, @Meg Holbrook

I‘m so happy you made it to your second 29th anniversary. It’s awesome to have you here!

I also have a big-0 this year - let‘s party next year with a bucket full of Nutella In Las Vegas!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

You had me at bucket Nutella party. 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2018

I'm so glad my generation was able to get through our teens and twenties with limited photographic evidence and very limited video capture of our fading memories.

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Happy Bithday @Meg Holbrook and great post for Monday.

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

Happy Birthday @Meg Holbrook - love your beatbox story.

Liquid courage is funny thing... during university I made a similar experience with alcohol and beatboxing. Although I didn't try to beatbox - tried to give some awesome rhymes for the boys beatboxing... as you can imagine, I have no idea about rhymes, rap aso.

Glad that everyone else was also drunk and was not able to make evidences....

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events