Miscellaneous Monday - Are you a funded content creator or do you fund content creators?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 20, 2020

Patreon and similar tools have exploded on to the online scene (and other places) where fans can help artists, creatives, and other people so they have the resources and time to make their projects.

Contributions can be one-off or monthly, with monthly contributions doubling as a subscription with different rewards based on tier (donation amount).

Does anyone here have fans that fund their creativity?

Do you contribute to anyone using a tool like this?

I think the idea is great and watch a lot of YouTube content that is funded by fans. The closest I have come to giving financial support is buying a fiction and a non-fiction book by a content creator I enjoy hearing ideas from. 

7 comments

Comment

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

I have been supporting artists on Kickstarter (similar to your book story) and Patreon so far.

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

I subscribe, like, and watch the videos of some of my favorite Youtube content producers.   I do not really use any content sites outside of Youtube and Twitch. I have been really into watches lately and watch a lot of videos on watches from Bark and Jack.

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

Tim, we should compare notes on watches sometime. I also watch a lot of watch videos. I also see that you are a member of the Watch Gang slack channel. I will be sure to check out Bark and Jack.

Like # people like this
Brett Coster January 20, 2020

I have supported a couple of podcasters on Patreon, who, unlike YouTube, which has its own monetisation system, struggle to support the ongoing cost of content creation.

Backers regularly receive extra content, not available to other viewers / listeners, and access to merchandise, events etc.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2020

Specifically to Patreon:

YES 🤘🤑😎

There is an AMAZABALLZ mix DJ called Confused Bi-Product of a MIsinformed Culture. 
So much of his stuff is available on YouTube and Soundcloud for free but the exclusive is via Patreon. He is an exceptionally active person too. Really responds to messages and interacts.

For a time I also supported WeMadeAThing studios who brought us the legndary Lucy and DIC

All of their content is free but to binge their series 1 way before it came out on YouTube required Patreon, which I was sooooo happy to hand my money over for. 
they too are very active with their Patreons which is super nice!

And a massive shout out to JPerm! I don’t support his Patreon account because I’m not a speed cuber, but his YouTube account is amazing and he gives expert advice to his patreons for helping improve their times. Really intense interaction. 
almost like he’s worked out how to provide consulting using Patron as the monetised platform!! LOL

Like # people like this
Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2020

I have a relatively new (2 years old) and very small channel on YouTube.

It's a bit of a catch-22 situation. I don't have enough time to produce the quantity of content that is needed to really grow the channel, and I don't have enough followers (or ongoing content) to make Patreon worthwhile.

At the moment my plan is to continue growing it slowly and see how it goes.

I'm interested to see what others who do benefit from Patreon think about the service.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 21, 2020

Plug your channel here for us to check out.

Like Emily Koch likes this
Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2020

Even for the Off Topic channel, it's pretty off-topic: adventure motorcycling!

https://www.youtube.com/c/adventuristtv

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

Patreon is immensely helpful for operating costs, and it's great to know that you're covered if things you need for production break. I like it a lot, but definitely make sure that your backers know just where the money you make is going! Transparency builds credibility and trust.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 23, 2020

I actually browbeated my friend S. into starting their Patreon so of course I support that one! I also support Captain Awkward (best advice columnist ever) and my favorite podcast, Extra Hot Great

Fun fact: one of our original community developers, Liam, went on to join the Patreon team! 

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

I do both! I'm one half of a podcast around the roleplay community in FFXIV, and we have a Patreon. Right now, it's on hiatus while my co-host manages some personal tough stuff.

But I also support other content creators by voice acting for them in things like this Kickstarter campaign for a friend who's trying to publish some of the comics he creates! Sometimes there are other ways to help others out, even if not financially.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events