Miscellaneous Monday - 5 tips to avoid getting sick at work

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2018

Well it's officially fall here in the north of the equator, and if you work in a densely-populated office building pumped full of recycled air, it's likely you hear the approach of sniffly noses and coughs across the floor... creeping ever closer... winter is coming. However, the first step in admitting we have a problem is acknowledging that at some point you WILL get sick. We work in bubbles, it's inevitable. 

Now that you've prepared for the worst, here's 5 tips for staying germ-free at work (for as long as possible). 

1. Stay hydrated! 

brita_experience_personal_hydration_needs_woman_drinking_water

Drinking water is a no-brainer, but I feel like part of being an adult is realizing that you're never drinking enough water, not following through on drinking enough water, and eventually shaming yourself for not drinking enough water - which leads to more not drinking water.

It's a vicious cycle, but one that ultimately weakens your immune system. Humans are approximately 60% goo, and if you aren't drinking enough water, you risk keeping bad juju in your kidneys, lymphatic system, and other areas of your body. 

2. Keep sanitizing supplies nearby.

lysol

No one wants to be the person wildly spraying Lysol in the air, but it does make sense to keep hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes nearby common areas. This could be as simple as wiping down the community fridge and microwave at the end of the day or banishing people with runny noses to the basement. Keep in mind that there are people who are sensitive to smells and cleaning products, so save the wild spraying for those times someone goes home sick and you need to cleanse their desk of the plague.

3. Get vaccinated.

gty_flu_shot_mi_130115_wmain

I love science, it does wonderful things for us. One of the most amazing things science has ever given us is tiny zombie bacteria that we use to combat diseases that used to wreak havoc on the human population. Did you know that measles is on the rise after being nearly non-existent in first-world countries? Vaccines won't stop a cold, we all know that, but it could stop whooping cough from being passed to your coworker with the newborn at home and we all thank you for that. 

4. Don't go overboard on the Vitamin C

too-300x200

I know someone who, at the first sign of a cold, drinks a gallon of orange juice. This has got to be the most misinformed strategy for handling illnesses that I've seen in my life. Did you know that vitamin C can cause severe intestinal distress? Since we covered staying hydrated in #1, here are some other vitamins that can help you get through a cold without all the sugar and the danger of a code brown. 

- Echinacea 

- Zinc

- Garlic

- Vitamin D

- Omega 3 oils

5. Don't tough it out.

article-2271958-174A66BE000005DC-623_468x342

This is something I want to impress upon all of you - the work will be there when you get back. No one wants to sit next to the harbinger of doom. You see how we're all slowly moving our desks away from yours? Shrinking away from you in the hallways? Glaring with malign as you touch the elevator buttons and bathroom door handles. Take the day off, make a blanket fort, and come back when you aren't sweating profusely and shedding viral bacteria. 

Have any other tried and true tips? Share them below! Stay safe, friends!

5 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2018

Got my flu shot on Friday :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2018

thanks for the reminder I need mine for sure!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2018

@Jack BrickeyI work at the hospital, there is no way they will miss you 😂. It is mandatory for us

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2018

Great job @Fadoua!!!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2018

You covered most of my keys: water, flu shot, sanitizer, hand washing

Other things I swear by:

• Pho - for me it works and I don't know why and I don't care and it is delicious.
  • I ban myself to my backup bedroom if i get sick
  • Drop the alcohol unless it is a sore throat and then - bourbon, honey, lemon juice heated
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

@Jack Brickey I think I feel a sore throat coming on.

fake-cough.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2018

it happens to me every Monday. that is why I keep the ingredients in my blanket fort!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

@Jack Brickey - even if it's just a placebo, I find that the any combination of noodles and broth makes me feel so much better. Soup belly!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

Does a severe case of "Monday" count as a reason to stay home and make a blanket fort?

Blanket.jpg

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

@Scott Theus - Hey, emotional distress can be just as bad as physical illness. I'm all for mental health days!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

Legit just signed up for my flu shot on Friday! These are excellent tips, Meg, especially the one about staying home if you're sick. Don't be a martyr! 🚫

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

@Erica Moss - I keep trying to get my company to do on-site vaccinations, but they haven't agreed to it yet. Won't stop me from trying!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

Fight the good fight, my dear!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2018

@Meg Holbrookif not on-site at least they should work something with either an  Urgent Care or a pharmacy very close to your office.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 24, 2018

If you are not already in the habit, make notes on Jira tickets every time you view them (any progress made, next steps, what you need before continuing) and use the internal notes option for Jira Service Desk.

These notes are not only helpful for you when your brain is starting to slow down when you start to feel ill, they are helpful for you to get working straight away when you return and for other people to see where you were up to if they need to work on the request or give the customer and update while you are away.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2018

This is extremely useful advice! Great tip @Kat Warner - I think the most productivity is lost when people don't know what you were working on at the point that you had to leave. 

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events