If you had an hour extra every day, what would you do?

Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

I would like to get an extra hour of sleep 😴

What would you do?

9 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

I probably should get an extra hour of sleep but I'd be fooling myself if I said I actually would.

Likely I'd end up watching things on YouTube to start with, then I'd feel bad that I just wasting time not accomplishing anything, so I keep YouTube on in the background while I'm browsing the Atlassian Community for posts like this one ;)

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon ,

Youtube is very addictive social media platform . Lately, I have been spending hours on youtube. 

-Sri

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

I would be using it to watch extra anime episodes :) 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2020

Hi @Lenin Raj 

I would spend that extra hour in my gym for some more cardio after weight training. I usually spend an hour at gym and sometimes it feels that I need to spend more time.

Or

I would spend that extra hour training my dog some new trick.

Or

I would spend that extra hour trying to write an article for Atlassian community which I have been delegating for many days :-D

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2020

@Deepanshu Natani you and me both!  I have a few articles in the queue I just need to get them across the finish line for that awesome author badge.

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2020

@Jimmy SeddonYes yes, I have an eye on that awesome author badge for some time now. Really need that extra hour to complete the articles. :-)

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

@Deepanshu Natani and @Jimmy Seddon ,

Any suggestions, tips and Tricks for New Authors like me from you guys :) 

-Sri

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2020

@Sri Kumar my best recommended start is to tell a story. 

My first article was telling the story about how we ran into issues with our Jira Server and our Journey in migrating to Jira Cloud.

That's how I got started.  I know a number of others share best practices which might be something you are more interested in.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2020

Adding to @Jimmy Seddon 's suggestions, you can start with an article about how you were introduced to Atlassian tool(s), which product you started using first, how is it benefiting you, what is the impact on you/ your team, if you faced any problems in initial days, how did you overcame those...

Or may be about your journey in Atlassian as an employee :-)

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

One hour 🤔Every day!:? 🤔🤔

7 hours a week... that is a lot of time! 

Following the knowledge that a new skill can be picked up with 20 hours of practice to an amateur/basic level, I would purpose myself to learn 18 new skills every year (on top of the perfecting-time spend on the ones I use the most). On my todo list:

- juggle 5 balls simultaneously 

- fish with fly

- swim butterfly style (well, not like a drowning magikarp)

- prepare California sushi rolls

- use kitchen knives correctly

- how to write stories for kids

- learn how to run (as in the correct technique)

- how to lower my heart rate

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

@Fernando Bordallo , The List Great. Can you give some insights on lowering the Heart Rate?

-Sri

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

I'm curious about lowering heart rate, too! I imagine doing cardio would help, because over time your body would get a little more used to raising the heart rate with exercise.

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2020

Long distance run training, meditation, apnea training, high-peak hiking, ... the list of things that can be done is big but I'll be able to give some details around my journey to 'lower heart-rate' in the future 🤞

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2020

Sleep sounds very nice and being well rested could lead to extra productivity throughout the day.  I would also either catch up on some work during the extra hour or eat a meal with my wife!

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2020

6 meals a day .... yep. I could buy into that too ;)

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Tim Keyes you work more than anyone I know. You deserve some extra sleep!

Like Rae Gibbs likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

🤣You heard the man @Tim Keyes Rest it is

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2020

Extra hour in the gym!

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

How long do you usually spend in the gym? I'm curious.

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

@Emily Koch 30 minutes of cardio every morning and 90 minutes of weights in the evening. How much time do you put in?

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

Not nearly as much! Just 30 minutes a day, usually in the middle of the day or right after work. But it's much, much better than the zero I was doing x.x

You must have super strength with all that exercise time! Shawn is a superhero, double-confirmed.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

@Shawn Kessler and @Emily Koch ,

You guys hit the Gym Every day in a week or how do you plan your Gymming on weekly basis( how many days in a week do you go to Gym)? 

-Sri

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

@Sri Kumar every day for me. Never miss a day. Keeps me sane. Consistency is the key. It is part of my daily routine, just like brushing my teeth.

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

Every day for me, but occasionally I'll skip a day (and NEVER more than one day a week) if I'm really hurting. I started with this exercise routine not long ago, but I decided every day would be best for me. Over time, I've found I've needed fewer and fewer rest days, and can do a lot more in my workouts compared to when I started. Like @Shawn Kessler said, consistency is key!

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

That's great guys :) 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

I think from all the million things to do, for me, the best use of this extra hour would be a mix (perhaps in daily alternation) of playing drums and learning something new (for the job). 🤔

I'd really like that! Where can I get that hour?! 😁

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

@Max Foerster - K15t , 

I always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. But I haven't, Do you recommend any Instrument that is easy to pick up for beginner like me?

-Sri

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

Piano is pretty simple to learn. My first instruments were piano, recorder, and flute.

With any instrument, you'll need to learn how to read music, though. I found some articles some people made about some of the first things to remember:

How-To-Read-Sheet-Music-Images.pngHow-To-Read-Sheet-Music-Images-1.png4.png

The images come from this article if you'd like to know more!

After that, it's just a matter of knowing how to play those notes on the instrument and putting it all together. It's never too late to start!

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

Thank you @Emily Koch 

Like Emily Koch likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2020

If you got at least a little space, start playing drums! @Sri Kumar :) Even a good quality beginner E-kit should be available for a few hundred dollars (Roland TD-1KV) and will do a good job for a while. Upgrade the foot pedal to a reasonable one with a proper kick controller at some point and it will last even longer.

It's more important to find a good teacher. Teaching you new grooves step-by-step by playing along and making it fun to play by notes. 

I started in my late 20s and now I don't want to miss it anymore. If you want to talk more about it, let me know and we can have a private conversation. :)

Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 27, 2020

I probably should spend that extra hour learning something or catching up on some industry trend, but for my health, probably sleep is the best choice.

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

An extra hour of sleep would be nice, but knowing me, I think I'd probably use it to connect more with friends and family. Are we assuming our energy level wouldn't go down during this hour?

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

@Emily Koch as long as you show up for work on time ;)

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

I mean, it always could be an extra hour of work, too! The possibilities are endless.

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

More work is my favorite!

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

@Tim Keyes I have plenty I can offload on you....

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events