I thought I knew ... now I know better 😲

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

Hello community!

I had a moment this weekend I thought I'd share and bring up in the same spirit as one of those awesome fun Friday threads we enjoy

giphy.gif

So here is the thing. I had one of those stuborn moments when YOU ARE SURE you know something. Sure! (there might have even been a small bet between the knowledge-holding stuborness and blush-and-internalAnger-and-learn moment. Here it is:

I thought I knew the colors of the rainbow! Turns out, now I know better.

So here is the song that rings in my head when I think of answering the question 'what are the seven colors of the rainbow?': red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue ... I can see a RAINBOW! See a RAINBOW. See a rainbow too.

Well, nah. I had never really looked at a rainbow it seems. And here I stand corrected.

Now you! Have you had one of these moments? 😶

7 comments

Comment

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

lol.  I grew up being taught the acronym ROY G BIV as referenced in the linked article.  

Like # people like this
Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2020

ROY G BIV all the way.

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

I grew up with ROY G BIV, but then heard the "I Can Sing a Rainbow song" a couple years ago. I guess the difference is pink versus indigo!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

@Fernando Bordallo, while I can't think of any specific example right now I think this sort of things has happened to all of us at one point or another.

Thanks for sharing this as a conversation starter!

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2020

That's a good question, and one that is asked of guests (often successful people in high positions) on the "Make Me Smart" podcast. "What is something you thought you knew but later found out you were wrong about?" Sometimes the answers are deeply philosophical, and sometimes they're like your example of colors of the rainbow. I recall one guy answering that he used to think that ponies were baby horses. :-) I've had a couple of my own over the years, though they're not coming to me at the moment.

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2020

Indeed the questions can come with a nice variety of answers. I'd never thought of using it as an ice breaker or a reflexive question though 🤔Might give it a go

Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2020

Ponies aren't baby horses? 🤯

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2020

💁‍♀️this life ....

Arpita January 24, 2020

Oh yes! This has happened multiple times on many different occasions, but my favourite is when a group of friends and I went on a trek and I was so sure I remembered the way back and I very confidently as the group to follow be only to find us lost 30 minutes later :D   

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

You're not alone in that :P

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 2, 2020

Indeed! We've all handled an internal broken GPS once or twice :P

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

I thought I knew my first wife, until she left me ;) haha, all good, happily married again :)

Like Emily Koch likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2020

Even though I'm also happily married, this really made my day :-D

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 2, 2020

🤣

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
February 1, 2020

If you watched wrestling back in the 90s and 2000s, you would get this.

I thought Kane & Undertaker were real-life brothers. 

l-20946-the-biggest-lie-you-were-told-during-your-childhood-kane-and-undertaker-are-brothers.jpg

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 2, 2020

Ah! Good times!!!! That one got me too hehehe

Like Adrian Stephen likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2020

If you did Engineering in the Steam on electronics. Then Remembering the Resistor colour coding and calculating its value is difficult too :) 

Image result for resistor color coding

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events