I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream (or ice lollies)

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

Good evening to all, and welcome to this, the second in my series of food related Friday Fun topics.

The first topic covered was cake, and the discussion is here if you'd like a read.

This little section is about ice cream, specifically ice cream vans.

image.png

These 4 wheeled delights do exactly what they say on the side, and can be found all over the UK (and possibly the world).  We often have one drive down our street playing it's little tune - and at this point you have the age old dilemma of whether you will be fast enough to catch it.

So, fellow foodies, my question to you this week is this:

You've caught the ice cream van - what are you ordering?

I'll start the ball rolling and tell you that my choice is usually a classic 99 (with a flake!)

image.png image.png

Or, if it's really hot (usually once per year in the UK!) and I want something icy I'll get a Twister

image.png

What do you go for?  Answers on a postcard please (or below if you prefer!)

14 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 21, 2021

My favorites are:

• Tart frozen yogurt with fresh strawberries* 
  • Birthday cake ice cream with sprinkles mixed in
  • A Balboa Bar from the beachfront in Newport Beach
  • Rocky road ice cream 

*One of the things I miss the most about traveling is that SFO has a Pinkberry and when I fly out of there I can have froyo for breakfast:

pinkberry.jpeg

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

With a caveat that I really don't have a sweet tooth and only really got them when the grandparents, or, later, the nieces or nephews were insisting and I didn't want to be the odd one out... 

The Lego-head voice in my brain is yelling "SPACESHIP":

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVmi_nIhAYO/

But I remember being equally fond of Fab

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkMXWWnUhX/

But the winner for me was, and probably still is, a Feast

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIAWw0ihykj/

The pub-quiz part of my brain reacted to your choice of a classic 99 with the urban myth that Margaret Thatcher helped invent Mr Whippy style soft ice-cream. 

It is almost certainly a myth because while she was a food-research scientist at Lyons, and Lyons introduced it into the UK while she was working there, she is not recorded as working on anything more than ice-cream emulsifiers, and Lyons imported the idea from the US around 10 years before she worked there.   

And before you all point at me and yell "utter nerd", I will blame my maternal grandparents - both bio-chemists, one of them had worked with her briefly, and I heard this story the night she was elected PM because Grandma was trying to explain her mixed feelings - "Good chemist, great we've finally got a female PM, but she's really not going to be good for the country"

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2021

That is one of my favourite myths - although I must admit I thought it was true.

I think your grandma was obviously very astute!  Many people, particularly around here, would agree with the assessment

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2021

Since I wish I was in wine country, I'm going to assume I caught the Ice Cream truck by the strawberry picking field across from Harbes Orchard on Long Island's North Fork, and from there I'm gettin' me a scoop of basil and a scoop of lemon lavender.

Yeah.  I like my fancy s--t.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 21, 2021

@Rob Horan I have big plans to go to have cocktails with friends this weekend (an actual restaurant! with friends!) and the lavender lemon drop is what sold me on the place. I would also enjoy it in ice cream form.  

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

I really don't like lavender - although the smell does remind me of my nan.

Basil on the other hand sounds very refreshing!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

Ah, @Rob Horan  has just reminded me of the lolly I really want: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1070310753103610

Like Rob Horan likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

Thanks for posting this @Liam Green!

I asked the whole family and here's what we've got.

My three year old wants "Blue Ice Cream".  I think he's talking about the Cotton Candy Dipped Cones from Dairy Queen:

DQ.com_Product_Cones_Cotton-Candy_470x500.jpg

My wife has and always will want Drumsticks:

images.jpg

Personally, I prefer Ice Cream Sandwiches:

IceCreamSandwich.jpg

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

I can hear John Montagu "spinning in his grave" on the "ice cream sandwiches" name.

He (allegedly) invented the sandwich as a way to eat while playing card games, without smearing fats or sauces over the cards (or the betting money).  I'd challenge anyone to play a decent hand of poker properly while they've got ice cream dribbling down their arm on to the cards.

Much as they work well as a food, I don't think the Earl would have included them as a sandwich.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

But I have to admit, if I am getting ice cream from a truck in the US it would be an ice cream sandwich as well.  :-)

Like Liam Green likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon I'm not entirely sure what a drumstick is... but I know I want one!

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- it all depends on your definition of sandwich - it is something my colleague is very passionate about this and often points me to the below chart:

image.png

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

This chart is delightful yet makes me uncomfortable. 😅

Just like a poutine, actually... why would anyone ruin fries in that way? 😉

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

Personally, not buying into any definition of a sandwich that involves a bun or a tortilla,  :-)

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

@Dave Liao I must admit, it makes me uncomfortable too... I've just googled poutine, and whilst I'm not on board with cheese curds, it does remind me of Denver or Belgian fries, which I am a big fan of!

@John Funk You're definitely a structure purist then!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

Ingredient rebels are a bit wrong - I'd argue that to be a sandwich, the containing food has to be a bit bread-like.  Specifically, something that can, in theory, stop the contents from smearing up your playing cards.  You have to be able to pick it up and eat it without utensils or losing content.  Even if the container itself would smear the cards, the point is it prevents the contents from doing so.  But you can't make a sandwich with jam, or soup, or beer, or broth, or spaghetti, etc.  So not all food.

Structure rebels are inarguably wrong though.  Their definition clearly includes things that are clearly not sandwiches - doughnuts, roast chicken, the soup I had last week (you effective poach an egg in it), noodles etc.  And the "enclosed in any way" is wrong too - for it to be a sandwich, I think you have to be able to see the content along half of its sides (before you start eating it), so the structure neutrals are ok, and that definition rules out calling pie a sandwich, which is another thing that is inarguably not a sandwich.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

Hmmm, so what's your stance on donut burgers, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ?

Traditional fillings held between two pieces of cooked dough.

8de470c254d49a288cfaf91ba3e2c012

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

I personally wouldn't use the word "sandwich", I'd use "burger" because it's a bit more descriptive (burgers in buns are obviously a sub-set of sandwiches) but I wouldn't complain if someone else did.  Some food between a couple of other bits of another type, you can see the content around much of its surface and you could, in theory, pick it up and eat it without cutlery, while playing cards.

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

I still can't believe people took that item from the Boondocks and made it a reality.

Like Esther Strom likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

Wait wait wait.

In the alignment chart, what really differentiates the burrito from the wrap?

Like Monique vdB likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

I really feel as though I've started something here that I shouldn't have! 

Personally, if it isn't sliced bread with savory filling then it isn't a sandwich

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

@Rob Horan - ooh, now that's a really good question.  it's something in the ingredients, obviously, but it's not the container - that's a tortilla type thing in both.

I'm not at all sure what though - most wraps and burritos I see don't have a definitive ingredient.  I mean, I sort of expect to see beans in a burrito, but M&S does a good 3-bean wrap, and the food cart outside one of my stations used to sell a salsa/avocado burrito that didn't have any.

I can only think of three things:

• Wraps rarely contain rice, burritos usually do
  • Wraps are self contained, burritos are usually held together in aluminium foil, although they don't usually need it
  • Wraps are usually served cold, burritos warm

But those observations have a limited range of sample points (my kitchen, UK supermarkets, food stalls and the odd restaurant, and a tiny number of eateries in California, New York, Las Vegas and Florida)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

@Liam Green - I know what you mean about having the savoury filling, but one of my relatives gave a very strong argument that bourbon biscuits are sandwiches and I'm not going to fight her on it. 

Mostly because I like them and I can argue having them for lunch is ok if they're a sandwich.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I'm sure they're described as a sandwich cream biscuit so I think they're lunch! Go for an orange or strawberry cream biscuit and it's also one of your 5 a day

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 24, 2021

I absolutely reject the alleged "neutrality" of "a hot dog is a sandwich." Like put a hamburger there and maybe we can talk.   

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

The "dog" is in between two pieces of bread-ish things.  That sounds like a sandwich to me.

I'm sticking with what the Earl said - I can eat a hot-dog while playing cards, and there's bread preventing me oiling the cards up.   It's a sandwich.

Mandy Ross
Community Manager
May 24, 2021

OK I'm jumping into the mosh pit on this one with big opinions!

1. In no way is a burrito, a wrap, an ice cream taco nor a pop tart (are you kidding me) a sandwich. Nor is a falafel (a falafel is a damn falafel!)
  2. Burritos and wraps are differentiated in my mind that burritos always use a tortilla of some sort. Wraps are more loosey goosey bc they can use tortillas or lavash or other kinds of unleavened fancy bread that hipsters invent. 
  3. Agree with @Monique vdB that hot dogs don't belong here but a burger is acceptable.

In general I believe a sandwich is defined as "stuff in between some kind of leavened bread item that is at least 1/4 inch thick". and I say good day to the sandwich chart!!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 24, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I see where you're coming from, you mad lad, but I don't feel this is a neutral position to take. 

Like # people like this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 24, 2021

So, whats the definition of a pizza?

hand grenade.gif

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 24, 2021

Now I'm pondering the fact that I had a bahn mi for lunch which I consider 100% a sandwich but it is like in a bun-style thing like a hot dog. But it's a baguette! Is that the difference? But like a bratwurst in a bun wouldn't be a sandwich either in my mind. I don't know what the distinction is anymore. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.30.16 PM.png

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 24, 2021

And also my friend John does this to burritos

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2021

@Monique vdB that is most definitely a sandwich! And looks delicious. Your friend should never be allowed in a kitchen again!! Although I think he'd have got on well with me when I was at Uni!🤣🤣

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2021

@Monique vdB your friend John is John Scalzi?!

tenor

Like Monique vdB likes this
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 21, 2021

How does one choose? 🤔

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2021

I was at a wine bar last night, and got an affogato made with port. That's adult ice cream at its finest. 💥

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

I don't feel like I'm anywhere near grown up enough for any of these words @Dave Liao !

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

Affogatos don't need to be alcoholic to be fine - I'd search your neighborhood/city for an affogato and try to score one 😊

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

I try to avoid the ice cream truck, because the song ours plays (Turkey in the Straw) is such an awful earworm.

We do have an older man in my neighborhood who sells paletas (Mexican popsicles made with real fruit) from a tricycle; the watermelon ones are amazing.

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

They sound delicious!

Mandy Ross
Community Manager
May 24, 2021

I love paletas!! My favorite is cucumber and chile or mango chile. I'm a weirdo that likes spicy in everything. 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2021

Ooh, those sound good, @Mandy Ross

Ours tend to only sell sweet flavors that are acceptable to the suburban American palate - strawberry, watermelon, coconut, pineapple. They're all really good, though - so much better than the fruit bars you get at the grocery store, and I don't know why! Maybe it's just the experience of buying them from an old man on a tricycle.

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

Depends on where I am. In Puerto Rico an helado de coco o de parcha (o ambos), coconut sorbet or passion fruit sorbert (or both). 
Pin on My Saves

Where I am now, either a drumstick, like the picture from Jimmy, or a choco taco:
Original Choco Taco | Klondike®

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

@Liam Green  needs to get some Chaco sandals, then we can call him the Chaco Taco as he eats his ice cream.  :-)

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

historyPic3

Because it's local, I suppose I'm obligated to mention It's-It.

They actually have a Factory Store (alas no tours) close to the the SFO airport. Unfortunately it's temporarily closed, but normally you'd be able to purchase memorabilia and limited edition flavors on the way to/from the airport:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/its-it-ice-cream-burlingame

But full-disclosure. They're not actually my favorite. 

There's just too much cookie, and on top of that, it's oatmeal cookies. At least they don't have raisins.

I think my favorite ice cream treat from a truck (we don't have any as fancy as @Liam Green's) would be a Drumstick, although after I learned about them from Orange Is The New Black, I was like, "Why didn't we ever have King Cones in California!?"

Vanilla King Cone 4 Count

(I guess the UK equivalent of a King Cone would be a Cornetto.)

Oh, so I guess later on Nestle swiped the "King Cone" idea and released King Size Cones.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2021

I do love a Cornetto too!

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

Here comes my all time favorite ice creams: "Death by chocolate" and "Go nuts-white and dark with loaded chocolate".

IMG_20200225_194402.jpg

Solutions Partner
May 28, 2021

There was a fad (quite some time ago) in Death by Chocolate cafes. Served all things chocolate. But there was a specific dessert called Death by Chocolate - had about 6 full sized chocolate dessert things on it, and if you could eat the lot you got a certificate on the wall... that must have been awarded posthumously.

Was that just an Australian thing... or did we copy it from somewhere else... as we usually do?

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

To the best of my knowledge, we don't have Death by Chocolate Cafes in the U.S. Here, "death by chocolate" is the name of a dessert sold by many restaurants, and it's not the same dessert across the board. It usually refers to any super-indulgent dessert that contains multiple chocolate items. 

I've had some that are chocolate cake with chocolate mousse between the layers and chocolate ganache frosting. I've also had some that are a huge brownie with chocolate ice cream and hot fudge sauce. 

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
May 28, 2021

My memory of the Death by Chocolate at the Death by Chocolate cafe was all of the above - some kind of chocolate mousse, a chocolate mud cake thing... enough chocolate ganache to drown in.... it was a while ago, so the details are very blurry. But it may be more due to a chocolate overdose at the time! I think 4 of us shared one and failed to finish it.

The cafes didn't last long, I think they seriously overestimated just how much chocolate people REALLY wanted.

Fun days!! 🤣

Like # people like this
Pedro Silva June 1, 2021

@G subramanyam  just love your picture.

" Death by Chocolate " win the award !

Like G subramanyam likes this
Pedro Silva June 1, 2021

@Liam Green best topic ever !

Have to love ice cream

My personal fav is Drumstick !

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2021

"Death by chocolate" is one of the famously ordered Ice cream in Hyderabad, India. People just die to have that chocolate. Needless to say, the single's trying to impress their girl friend (s)! married to impress their partner's on special occasions and for employee's to kill their stress. You see many benefits from chocolate ice creams :)

Like Suvradip Paul likes this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2021

Aromi is one of our current favourites in Cambridge as they say it - 'It's not ice-cream it's gelato', check this out - https://www.aromi.co.uk/stories/category/Gelato. We usually get confused due to wide variety of ice-creams... sorry gelato here and it's always a tough choice to make.

Now, we are missing missing summer!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events