Fun topics for daily standups

Evan Slaughter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2020

Howdy folks!

I just wanted to recount one of the things I've done this year to try and spice up my team's daily standup meetings, along with seeing if there's any other exciting things anyone's tried to help add some flavor to any new daily team meetings.

One of the things I've tried to do is keep on top of the latest things happening in the fast-food/restaurant industry and then report on the latest wacky/zany stuff that companies are up to nowadays. This year has featured all kinds of crazy things, including but most certainly not limited to:

I keep expecting this well of entertainment to dry up, but so far these restaurants have continued to 'innovate' well beyond my wildest dreams. I've been told this segment has been one of the things my teammates look forward to each day, and it seems to have really help kept morale up during this rough year.

Let me know if there's any other weird/interesting things you do with your team to keep things fresh! Also, feel free to post your favorite things you've seen from restaurants this year. ;)  Otherwise, I'm looking forward to what 2021 has to offer in the way of bizarre culinary creations and marketing tactics in the fast-food industry.

7 comments

Comment

David Long January 5, 2021

Great idea.  We have social discussions outside of our standups often around what shows we are streaming or GIF of the day from sites like thecodinglove.com but could bring something into the standup to jazz it up a bit.

Tara Whittaker January 6, 2021

i love this idea! it never occurred to me to bring something like this into my toolkit! 

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Wow, that's tremendous idea :) 

Margaret Boisvert January 20, 2021

We use SLACK for our weekly standup - using a Bot that allows you to answer the questions provided -- what did you do last week?  what are you working on this week?  Any blockers? 

The last question is "Is there anything else you want the group to know?"  Several in the group like to share interesting tidbits such as:
* Elephants communicate in a variety of ways - including sounds like trumpet calls (some sounds are too low for people to hear), body language, touch and scent. They can also communicate through seismic signals - sounds that create vibrations in the ground - which they may detect through their bones.

* Frogs absorb water through their skin.

* Experiments in universities have actually been carried out to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, both with machine and human lickers (because this is important scientific knowledge!). The results ranged from 252 to 411.

It is always fun to see what people will share :)

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

@Margaret Boisvert  What bot are you using?  We are looking to start doing weekly standups again and I like the idea of a slack standup.

Margaret Boisvert February 3, 2021

We use Standup_Bot - https://slack.com/apps/A0L6ELY4E-standup-bot

It sends you a reminder weekly with the questions that you need to answer.  It even takes your "What I am going to work on this week" and puts it in your "What I did Last week" next week :)
Saves a lot of typing!

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
February 21, 2021

I did a "todays fun fact" over chat while we were in covid lockdown and all working remotely. Kept the team connected. But I didn't use anything fancy like a stand up bot. This is great. I'm going to look into this further, definitely.

Evan Slaughter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

For those following along at home, so far 2021's quick-service industry innovations have been largely focused around the chicken sandwich wars - with Taco Bell recently trying to enter the ring with their new Crispy Chicken Sandwich Taco 😬

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
February 22, 2021

Talk about out of the loop. I didn't even know there was a chicken sandwich war. I like the sound of the jalapeno popper chicken sandwich though. 

Like Evan Slaughter likes this
Pedro Silva May 27, 2021

Hi @Evan Slaughter 

Thanks for much for sharing.

I'll try to do this in the next daily! 

Jose Luis Gaitan Hernandez
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2021

thanks for sharing...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events