Fun Friday: What day would you want to repeat forever until you achieve the outcome you want?

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2022

Hi Atlassian Community,

One of my favourite movies is “Groundhog Day”, where the main character lives the same day every day. His escape from the same day was triggered by his transformation into a good person.

GroundHog Day:

ground_hog.gif

I recently watched “Edge of Tomorrow” with Tom Cruise, where it follows a similar plot, but his escape is relieving the same day until the humans defeat the alien invaders.

Edge of Tomorrow:

edge of tomorrow.gif

So it made me think, what day/event would I love to repeat forever and which outcome would you want to achieve to get out of it?

For me, it would be the 2014 World Cup in Brazil where Argentina played Germany in the final.  Argentina had multiple chances to win the game and lost in extra time just a few minutes before going to penalty kicks.  It was devastating for me because we had friends and family over and when Germany scored the room was dead quiet. Even now, I even think about what if we had scored those earlier chances.

Gonzalo Higuain was one of the key players to be blamed. He had a few breakaways and completely missed the net, was called offside for a disallowed goal and was not at his best form. I would be fun to be him for just that day. 

Some things I would try:

• Fake an injury and let another forward play for me.
  • Train to become an actual professional player (in groundhog day, Bill Murray has no experience playing the piano and then becomes a musician)
  • Injure Götze just as he comes on the pitch (player who scored the final goal for Germany)
  • I was thinking of being Messi, but then that would be too much pressure.  I would rather have the GOAT pass the ball to me and score the goal.  

The way to get out of this day, would be winning the game and becoming World cup Champions. Imagine the celebrations… 

3216ca2b73f20ec1d8dbfb8aa0950f3193-argentina-dancing.w710.gif

So the question is:

• What day would you want to repeat forever? What do you have to do to get out of to achieve your perfect outcome?
  • Or What day would you never relive ever again?

Cheers,

Fabian

8 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2022

I love that movie! 

Man it is so hard to pick a single day. I, like so many others, have had some amazing days in my life. I guess the one that comes up immediately in my mind would be my wedding day. My wife and I had a very small family & friends wedding in a beautiful location in North Carolina. It was a wonderful fall day in October and everything seem perfect. We followed that day with a wonderful honeymoon on the Outer Banks of North Carolina relaxing, fishing, enjoying each other's company, and discussing what the future help for the two of us.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 15, 2022

I also thought of my wedding day! It was an amazing celebration and also the last time I saw one of my friends who died way too young. So I would love to spend that one more day with him.  

But I would probably go back to childhood, a pool party at my grandma's house. Those long, warm days where all we did was eat and swim and we ate fresh figs right off the trees. I could live inside that memory forever. Plus speaking of spending time with people who are now gone, I'd make sure my grandparents were all there!

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2022

Thanks for sharing! Wedding days are great events to relive.  Meeting your friends & relatives and celebrating together is always fun.

Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2022

Great Friday Fun posting @Fabian Lim !!

To your second question, feel like the days between March 2020 and June 2020 were like Groundhog Day and I wouldn’t want to to relive those 😆 Waking up in my small studio apartment everyday just to roam around that single room stirred up some cabin fever. If I had to redo that event (knowing it would be a stretch of time), I would’ve found a way to be closer to family. 

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2022

@Andrew Kendrishanks for sharing.

I'm assuming this was due to the covid restrictions. I think I felt the same when we were locked down at home.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2022
  • Question One - Fly fishing for native cutthroats on the NF of the clearwater and landing the state record.   
  • Question Two - That is a hard one.  Really life has been pretty great and even the bad ones have helped define the good ones.
Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2022

What do you need to do to win the record? Most catches or biggest fish?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2022

Hard to say that there is one single day I would repeat (with or without changes).  The list includes some Atlassian related events though.

The day that:

• Chrissy and I got a little bit tiddly on a cocktail with a really inappropriate name and decided to move in together
  • Eskarina and Black Aliss moved in with me (and accepted me as their prefferred minion)
  • I went to So... Many... Summits/ACEs/Team Tours.  Getting to meet people in real life matters a LOT.  (Two stand out - the first one, of course, and the one where Eskarina got herself into the keynote speech.  I think I was in it too)
  • Went to a wedding.  For different reasons, but I always seem to enjoy a good wedding!

I hope I get to add "my wedding" to the list, but I've not got there yet.  But it is booked...

The day I don't want to ever repeat is easy. 

I was 15, and not really lost people before.  Two of my grandparents died, 4 hours apart, and I took both of the 'phone calls about it and had to tell my parents that one of their parents had died.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2022

Great set of questions @Fabian Lim!

I don't know that I would want to repeat a single day again until the "perfect outcome".

I know there are many days that I don't really want to relive again, but at the same time I know they have molded me into the person I am today so those experiences are valuable in another way.

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2022

I was thinking similarly, @Jimmy Seddon! It's hard to know what a perfect outcome actually would be, given that impact is not always clear right away (or ever). Time travel= cool in theory, but absolutely would have me immobilized with indecision in reality. I'm one of those people who looks up all the various options and repercussions before making a decision in a video game!  

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2022

It's great that this has been here for multiple weeks.  Maybe Friday fun is going to repeat forever!

Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2022

I would most likely be my wedding day as I had so many people who are no longer here us us. Each time I would talk all day with one or two of them at a time.

I wasn't expecting ninjas chopping onions at this time but they must be around here, for sure..

Like Fabian Lim likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2022

I'm going to go with my wedding day, mostly so I could set up a few extra photo/video segments.  Also to replace certain aspects of my wedding cake which were comically awful.

Like Fabian Lim likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events