Friday fun: What will be the change?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

Good day everyone,

Happy Friday!

If we make you the CEO of the company what will be the first change you will impose 😂?

I already have mine ready however would love to read yours.

Best,

Fadoua

30 comments

Comment

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

I will make Fridays off and give a raise to everyone! 🤫

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

@Fadoua I'm coming to work for you this sounds amazing!

Like # people like this
Larry Brock _Praecipio Consulting_ January 24, 2020

Count me in too!!! :-D

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Don't do it @Jimmy Seddon as I will get fired after the first half hour 🤣

Like # people like this
Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

The Prime Minister of Finland has proposed a four-day/6 hr a day workweek 🙃https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/07/flexible-work-finlands-pm-sanna-marin-wants-citizens-on-a-four-day-workweek.html

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2020

@Fadoua please ping me when you are hiring ;)

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Larry Brock _Praecipio Consulting_ January 24, 2020

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

I like this question, it made me think hard for a couple of minutes.  If I were to make one change, I think it would be to allow pets at work.  When I'm working from home my two puppers sleep on the couch beside me all day.  At work I have a really comfy couch right behind me that I imagine they would just sleep there all day.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

This makes me so happy! I think it is definitely in the top five items I would implement :)

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

@Jodi LeBlanc tu as un grand amour pour les animaux si je me rappelle bien!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2020

Merci @Fadoua  oui j'adore les animaux - mon petit chien Max reste avec moi quand je travaille à la maison 💙

IMG_0366.JPG

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

I think I would open it up for more work from home opportunities (at least part time) or introduce some 4x10 work shifts. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

I have totally done 4x10 at a previous job and I really liked it.  Unfortunately, not everyone likes the concept.

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

No meetings on Monday mornings or Friday afternoons!

Too many work-related events/issues from the weekend need complete attention on Monday mornings.

Peoples' brains are mushy and 40% has most likely already left for the weekend on Friday afternoon.  Plus, employees deserve to cut loose a little early if they've got their stuff done.

This is one of the principles I've always operated on.  The other is Hawaiian shirts on Friday!! :-D

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Technically, we have a company wide meeting Friday afternoon where the executives pour beer for the staff ;)

Like # people like this
Kamal Sondagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Nothing. I would change nothing for the first few months.... See how well we operate. I will then consider reducing down to daily hours to 5 hrs per day. Statistics suggest that we are the most efficient from the start of your work day to up 4 hours in. Then you aren't firing off all cylinders. 

Like # people like this
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2020

I would follow the steps of Finland's PM and introduce 4-day work week And 6-hour workdays 

Like # people like this
Alison
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2020

woops! beat me to this

Michael Kimathi _AC Nairobi_ Kenya_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2020

Adopt agile throughout the company and implement 4Hour week culture and the last day of the week "Friday" party after party. That means you get to work 4hrs per day for 4 days a week. 

scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Tough one. I think I would start with implementing  more consistency and fewer tools across the enterprise.

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Ouch someone is not happy with the way things are being done 🤨. Honestly I will write a book about that if I really had the skills and time. So many things need to be changed. I am with you on this one @scott_boisvert 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

@Kamal Sondagar and @Adrian Stephen  let me know if you are hiring, I think we can negotiate 🤓

Like # people like this
Kamal Sondagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

😅🤣💯👍🏽

Kamal Sondagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Happy Friday Friends! SpecialK going dark for 52hours!

Like Fadoua likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

I would change my title to Chief Executive Overlord.

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Come on @Davin Studer  you can do more than that.

Like Davin Studer likes this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Nothing more to say on this topic. Nailed it. 🕶

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Thanks @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ ! You made my day 😉

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Always 💙

Like Fadoua likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

Love this!

Like Fadoua likes this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Mic drop...

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

I'm struggling here, but excellent question; it makes you think in more detail about your current process. 

I think I'll try to focus more on persons than the teams, mostly how to get the best of anyone by providing them with the ability to show their real strengths. 

It will be tough if we are talking about a big company, but Friday Fun is for Daydreaming, right? :)

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

You got it right @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ , we are allowed to dream daytime. Everything is possible within Atlassian Community 🤗

Like # people like this
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Shorter work week or shorter work days as needed.  I'd stream line the processes more, consolidate knowledge groups. Make documentation a priority and get better at building that into the processes.

I'd listen to employee ideas more.  Who knows better about what is and isn't working than the folks that are doing it every day?

I'd wish there was a way to not have to worry about making shareholders happier than my employees.  That no one felt pressured or rushed to provide products and services that weren't ready for prime time.

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

We can make miracles you and I if we are on the same team @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ 😍

Like # people like this
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2020

I more than like it.  Love it is more like it.  ;) 🤗

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2020

I would get some business hammocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IujLD7nSf8Q

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

So fun!!

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2020

The hammock district!

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

I'm liking this idea. Make sure to send one to all the other offices and remote folks, too!

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Delegate everything, bank the sign-on bonus, run for President of some country. The usual.

Like # people like this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

I would schedule random lunches or meeting with employees to find ways to improve processes and overall work environments. Also, good way to learn about the people that work for with

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

I would offer a new type of vacation benefit. If you plan a vacation that is:

At least 2 weeks long (10 consecutive PTO days)
&
Scheduled/approved at least 4 months in advance (so that the company can plan appropriately)

...you'll get a $5000 bonus. Or some other exciting amount.

I like this because employees could easily use both the vacation and the bonus in the way that fits them best. It gives people more of an opportunity to travel if they'd like. Or, they could take that time off to pursue a creative project or home improvement project. You could use it during the holidays to be home with family, and spend that money as your budget for Christmas gifts.

It forces people to actually unplug and gives them the resources to invest in themselves. But it's flexible enough to be of value to everyone. :)

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Since we are dreaming, make sure everyone's job is safe and get free insurance to the employees 😊

Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 24, 2020

@Fadoua excellent question! 
I'd get a counselor so that people can talk about their work and personal issues to them. A few companies check EQ levels before hiring and I think it's so important 😊

One more thing I’d implement is, once a month team outing volunteering for a social cause. Eg. A day out planting trees, giving food to the homeless each month something different. 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2020

I don't think I ever want to become CEO (CTO maybe).

If I am a CEO, I will create a Jira Service Desk project where everyone can log issues directly against me (I hope it is a small company).

Also, I will fire some people, who are not working towards organization goal and are just pursuing personal goals.

Like Fadoua likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2020

I would take a leaf out of Trello's book and make remote and flexible working allowed across the company. 

I think people can find the best work-life balance when they can balance the two - rather than work limiting them. It's the completion of the work that is important, not the hours or location.

I would also like to encourage learning and using tooling. I think we're in a digitised world where tools - such as Zoom, the Atlassian Suite, CRM and BI Tools - are the future for remote working and big data reporting.

Ste

Like # people like this
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2020

The way you phrase the question, the assumption is we already are in the company and know its current culture, operations, etc. at some level.

Either way, I agree with @Kamal Sondagar, I would do nothing at first because the CEO view provides a very different perspective. What I would do is along the lines of what @Poorvi Jhawar suggested - measure EQ, and also mindset, but not of new hires; I'd start with the entire leadership team down and focus on shifting to true servant leadership. I've seen too much low-trust command-and-control management (not leadership) in the companies I've worked with.

For the managers who aren't able to shift, and there are always some, I would counsel then out of the company. Those changes also will start shifting the culture.

At the same time I'd be looking at all the teams and individuals in all departments for values fit. When people can see how their role in a company is aligned with their values and purpose, they are naturally more inspired, productive, healthy, and things like work days/hours/remote vs on-site drop in importance. I agree with you, @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_, Trello has the right idea, let inspired people chose what works for them.

Finally, I've encountered more than a few firefighter-arsonists in the development world. These are the "heroes" who seem to always find a way to come to the rescue through heroic efforts after a development death march, but if you look for why the teams had to go on the development death march, it was because of something the "heroes" caused in the first place. They are often considered indispensable and irreplaceable, but they need to change or go for that very reason. Properly functioning, empowered teams don't need "heroes," they need members who share knowledge freely and willingly, as well as looking for ways to avoid crises, not cause them.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Peter

Like # people like this
Kamal Sondagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2020

@Peter Jessen sorry I didn't read this till now. love the approach! and I agree about the "firefighter-arsonists". Do you have rights to that term, I want to use it! :) be well and stay healthy (physical and mental!!)

Like Peter Jessen likes this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2020

Every Friday would be Bring Your Rabbit to Work Day!

dill.png

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2020

It is so cute 🐰

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

If you don't have a rabbit, can you borrow one?

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

You can borrow Silver once a month ;)

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

Whenever I played with rabbits growing up they used to always bite my fingers :(

Does Silver bite?

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

@Tim Keyes Silver is the sweetest, gentlest creature on this planet. 

Tanya C January 25, 2020

The office layout and carpeting.  (gross) ... unfortunately I'd have to become president to make that change as my work location is a government building.  :( 

CEO of my company = get rid of the existing performance appraisal process.

Like # people like this
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

There are some really good ones! 

For me, I would have an innovation day at least once a week, where people can do what they want. And get paid for it :)

And as a scrum master, I would get rid of these waterfall projects, with fix budgets and no chance to deliver, what the customer asked for.

Like # people like this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

It is interesting to read that many people here think along the same lines. And there are lots of good suggestions for sure. A shorter workweek? Hell yeah! Better documentation? HELL YEAH! 😁

Of all the great ideas I would like to introduce one day a week reserved for personal development of any kind. Maybe not "of any kind", but perhaps, why not? So ANY KIND.

It would be nice if, at least in the broadest sense, it has a connection to work or the team/company but who would complain about a developer on his team who bakes the best banana bread? Or another person being able to fold an Origami swan? Even better if people would decide to learn something new together.

And it would also be obligatory to regularly have a show&tell session to tell the team about what you have been learning/practicing. So everyone gets a chance to work in his presentation skills as well. ;) 

As said, there are so many good ideas in this thread. :) 

Like # people like this
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

@Max Foerster - K15t- Years ago, when I was with Deloitte Consulting, we used to have Fridays in the office for just this idea. At least half the day was supposed to be focused on CoPs, personal interests, etc. I'll say the vision was stronger than the implementation.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

So I have to try to make it better for my team. ;) Any lessons learned, tips or thoughts from your side, to where the vision was stronger than the implementation?

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

Clients always came first, so in the end most people felt pressured to skip the CoPs etc. Also, since Deloitte had us traveling Monday - Thursday, people tried to work from home Friday as much as possible so they didn't need to fight traffic to drive into the office. There was no real commitment on the part of the partners to make Friday a learning day.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events