Friday Fun: your desert island TV shows

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 14, 2020

Today’s question is: if you can only watch five TV shows for the rest of your life, what would they be?

They can be shows on or off the air, miniseries or sports events count. Do you go for longevity? Quality? Rewatchability?

I put waaaay too much thought into this and here are my picks:

Saturday Night Live

This is the easiest pick for me, because it’s now 45 years worth of comedy and counting, with so many legendary performers and great casts.

Great British Bake-Off

I love reality competition shows, and pondered others (RuPaul’s Drag Race or Top Chef for example) but GBBO is so soothing, gentle, and enjoyable that I have to go with that one. The perfect background comfort TV.

Fleabag

Because I chose two with lots of seasons, I am treating myself to this two-season gem, Fleabag, one of the most perfect shows ever made. Brilliant performances and an amazing ending.  Can’t live without Hot Priest in my life!

The Olympics

I typed that stuff above about sports and then realized that there is a sport thing that I love to watch, and that’s the Olympics! I particularly enjoy gymnastics, diving, figure skating, and that kind of downhill skiing where they go around flags. (Slalom I think?) 

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Because of the music! The humor! The heart! And that I was actually very briefly an extra on it. But mostly all those other things.

What about you?

20 comments

Comment

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 14, 2020
  • The Office - Could rewatch only this show for the rest of my life 
  • Alone - Like Survivor with less producing and more hunting 
  • Watchmen - This show is so topical and creative
  • The Olympics - copying Mo
  • The Bachelor - I'm ashamed of this pick
Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

Oh ALSO Fleabag, copying Mo again 

Miles B.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2020

+1 to Fleabag, so great. 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

@Bridget you can only pick five BRIDGET THOSE ARE THE RULES.

hot priest.gif

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2020

I think I’ll have to watch Fleabag next. Sounds interesting 

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2020

Oooh good topic @Monique vdB !

I'll go with:

• Mash
  • Cheers
  • Sopranos
  • Leverage
  • Elementary

I could be convinced to substitute the Olympics as it's got a nice variety of sports that I do occasionally watch though I'd rather be doing the thing instead of watching someone else do it (except running which I'm totally fine with letting someone else do =^)  ). 

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Elementary is my number 6 :weißes_häkchen:

Miles B.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2020

I heard they're bringing back Leverage!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

The Office is my number 6!

Like Bridget likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Yes @Miles B. - I've heard that too and can't wait!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Leverage is one of mine too! It is being rebooted as IMDbTV's first original series.

Info here; trigger warning for screamingly bright and busy background graphics.

Miles B.
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2020

Okay this is way too hard and if you ask me tomorrow the list is likely different, BUT:

Hipster moment: I remember watching the finale as it aired the first time on Nickelodeon, and having my friends making fun of me for watching a "bad anime ripoff." It's been validating to see the resurgence of popularity now that it's on Netflix!

Firefly
Not very strategic given that it's only 1 season... that was cancelled early. But it holds a special place in my heart. Shiny. 

Sopranos
Great show, and plenty of seasons. Hits a sweet spot for drama, comedy, action/violence, and pretty incredible character development work across the entire cast. 

Cowboy Bebop
Okay maybe I just like space westerns given that there are two of them on this list... but the soundtrack, the art style, voice acting, all top notch.

The West Wing
Another special place in my heart. There's something comforting about this show, the stakes, and how they navigate a clearly dysfunctional system, lol. 🙃

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2020

Derp. Of course Firefly. Why was that not on my list.

“Captain, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing.”

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

@Miles B. I got to walk through the Serenity before the show even started airing! It was a really cool set. #humblebrag 

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

@Miles B. your whole life is a hipster moment 🙃

Like Miles B. likes this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2020

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Optimistic, episodic, sometimes campy but always nerd-able. I don't know how many times I've rewatched the series now (skip most of season 1 though, and a few clunkers in season 2... for everyone's sake) and still catch new things or find interesting trivia on IMDB or Memory Alpha.

Parks and Recreation

Also rewatched this ... many times. The writers are a bit overly accurate in their predictions of the future (in 2014, they jump ahead to 2017 and nail pretty much everything). It's super funny and really rewards long-term fans, as a lot of the gaffs and one-liners from earlier seasons are referenced in later seasons. The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show (a show inside the show) comes with its own fake commercials.

How I Met Your Mother

Clever writing, jokes that will (hopefully) continue aging well because of how the show is presented, and decently rewarding for long-term fans. I like to just toss it on in the background. For a while it has a strong gif game because of some great quotes, although Schitt's Creek has somewhat up-ended HIMYM in gif-ability.

Psych

Also survived several rewatches at my house and still funny. I don't get all the 80's pop culture references, but they're still presented in a funny way and it's fun to try and guess the mystery. I like trying to solve it and the chase, but find most procedurals are too grimdark. Psych strikes the right balance.

Community

For starters, we're on Community. So there's that. But also the writing is quite clever and I'm sure new jokes will be cropping up on the eventual rewatches. The characters are believable without being too caricatured. It's a self-aware show that isn't afraid to make good use of pop culture references or upend television tropes.

giphy

Like # people like this
Miles B.
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2020

Love Community - It's so hard to communicate just how great that show is from the outside.

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Psych is still awesome

Like Esther Strom likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

@Daniel Eads these are great picks. I haven't watched Psych but loved all the others. 

Important thoughts:

• HIMYM had the worst ending and thus I can never watch it again
  • Bye bye Lil' Sebastian....
  • Riker's beard. That's it, that's the thought. 
  • Community was never the same without Troy. Troy and Abed in the moooorning!

donda.gif

Bridget
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

I also love Community. Never seen the show, though 😉

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2020

@Monique vdB HIMYM alternate ending! It's a thing, I mean, it's the real one right...

And I feel like Psych is up your alley! But you haven't watched it huh?

giphy

Should I mail you my DVDs? 😂

Like Monique vdB likes this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Psych is really fun! There were a couple of seasons that were iffy, but for the most part it's very watchable. Lassie is one of my favorite characters (and actors.)

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Nice one @Monique vdB 

In no specific order: 

- Lucifer - the different accents for learning English, the story line and of course Tom Ellis 

- Night Manager --> Tom Hiddleston ☺️

- Graham Norton Show - awesome guests and I really like his humour

- The late late show with James Cordon - just good mood stuff, famous guests and the different topics like the "crosswalk musical" 

- Das Boot - a German series that is thematically based on the cult movie and it is situated at a very dark time in German history that must not be forgotten (1933-1945). Especially with all that racism and fascism in the world right now it is important to be aware that those things must never happen again! 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

@nina_schmidt didn't even think of a late-night show, that's a good choice! We love Crosswalk the Musical in our house. 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Yes to Lucifer! Season 5 is finally starting on Netflix next Friday!

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2020

@Esther Strom I know 😊 can hardly wait 😊

https://images.app.goo.gl/uBKBWrEweuvtmZN88 

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2020

@nina_schmidt your reasons for Night Manager are totally valid. 😏

Like nina_schmidt likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2020

tenor

I think we all knew where this was going to end up.

• Schitt's Creek
  • Friends
  • Great British Baking Show
  • Rupaul's Drag Race
  • The Office (I reserve the right to update this one)
Like Bridget likes this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Binge Watching ;-)

I have to admit I started Game of Thrones today... never seen more than the last season :-)

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

@Erica Moss I had Friends, The Office, and The Golden Girls all in contention for my final spot. Schitt's Creek I think I disqualified because of Chris Elliott, I just hate him so much I wouldn't want to be stuck with him forever. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

@Erica Moss if you enjoy Schitt's Creek, you should check out the first two seasons of the Great Canadian Baking show, which is co-hosted by Dan Levy.

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

@Erica Moss - Schitt´s Creek just started on Amazon Prime here in Germany, I watched the first episode and I think I like it 😀

Like Erica Moss likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

@Thomas Schlegel YAY! You must keep going — it just gets better and better. 😄

Like Thomas Schlegel likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2020

The IT crowd..... I would watch it to the end then turn it off and back on again :)

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

This is a popular topic; I don't know if any of mine are original.

• Leverage. This is my comfort show. I've watched it so many times I can recite the dialog, but it's still super-clever.
  • Firefly. Gone too soon. Just the right amount of dark and snark.
  • Chuck. I never watched this when it was actually on, but just finished bingeing it on Amazon and will always go back to it. Silly, heartfelt, and just plain fun. Plus some amazing supporting actors.
  • Great Performances. PBS has 47 seasons' worth of amazing live performances of plays and musicals, as well as behind the scenes and making-of documentaries. Satisfies my theater geek heart.
  • NOVA. More PBS, again with 47 seasons. There's always something interesting, since it covers such a broad range of topics. 

Honorable mention: Galavant. It's not quite one of my top 5, but it would be #6 if that were allowed. 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 14, 2020

@Esther Strom Great Performances is a great one! 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Here‘s my list:

Lost - I still hope, I‘ll understand everything the next time I watch this show

Twin Peaks - I love  the classic seasons and was fascinated by the last one a decade later.  Although or maybe because I don’t understand what‘s going on there.

Game of Thrones - great story, I love this „Song of Ice and Fire“ containing a lot of great characters and stories

The complete seasons of the Peanuts by Charles M Schulz. I can watch that over and over again. Love Lucy van Pelt and Peppermint Patty the most.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine - I love the stories on that space station and can see them over and over again.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020
  • Doctor Who (there's almost 800 surviving episodes...)
  • Star Trek
  • Firefly
  • Blake's 7
  • Black Books

SciFi nerd?  Nooo, not me, honest.

Like # people like this
Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
August 16, 2020

Is there anyone who cannot re-watch anything? Also because I haven't watched 95% of the shows mentioned above. So I need to finish those first and then pick my favorite.  :LOL:

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2020

I sometimes feel guilty for re-watching things, because between Prime and Netflix my to-be-watched lists are long enough that I'd need to live to be 300 to finish them :) But there are times, and these last few months are one of those times, when I just don't have the emotional energy to commit to something that might make me sad or upset*, so I just keep going back to things I already know I enjoy.

*In an unpredictable way. There are things, like West Side Story, that I know are going to make me sad, but I watch anyways because they're beautiful. But I already know what's coming with that, so I'm prepared for it. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 17, 2020

@Esther Strom I dealt with one hard time in my life by binge watching Friends. Sometimes you need TV comfort food! 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2020

Ok This one required some thought for me.  In no particular order:

• The Simpsons - It's been on the air almost as long as I have been alive.
  • Big Bang Theory - This show while not always accurate is still a lot of fun.
  • Star Trek Voyager - I'm probably going to make some enemies by naming this version specifically but, this is the version I grew up with and I really enjoyed the EMH (Robert Picardo)
  • Fairy Tail - I enjoy anime as well and this is a long running action-based one with a lot of comedy mixed in.
  • Letterkenny - This is a Canadian made show that makes fun of stereotypes in a small Canadian town near where I grew up and I could and do re-watch this forever!
Like # people like this
Sven Cipido August 19, 2020

Elementary - I like his way of thinking
The office - I just love the humor
Knight Rider - Oh yes I'm an old one :-)
The Simpsons - Just so simple and it contains a lot fo true things or even predictions.
Lost - I still don't understand so hopefully I will when I have to watch it over and over again

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2020

@Sven Cipido Knight Rider was my brother's favorite show when we were kids, so I guess that makes me an old one too! We took a family vacation to Universal Studios in Los Angeles in 1984 or 1985, and they had a replica of Kitt that you could have your picture taken in. I think he still has that picture.

Sven Cipido August 21, 2020

@Esther Strom That's great having a picture sitting inside KITT. 
A pitty it's a little far away for me, especially these times.

I didn't like the new Knight rider, which luckily was only a few episodes. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 20, 2020

This is really hard (that's what she said) because I already watched a lot of series, but I believe I could watch again and again:

• The Office
  • Friends
  • Anne with an E
  • Fleabag 
  • The IT Crowd
Like # people like this
William Naughton August 21, 2020
  • Friends
  • Seinfeld
  • The Masters (Golf)
  • Downton Abbey
  • Wall St. Week
Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2020

As always, late to the party but here are my choices.

• Friends - I think there is no explanation needed.
  • Big Bang Theory - I consider it the modern and nerdy version of Friends.
  • Black Sails - I restarted it from the beginning right after finishing it for the first time. History and pirates are exactly my thing!
  • Parks and Recreation - this show is well written, funny, entertaining and makes me laugh.
  • Murder She Wrote - all the best childhood memories. Cozy mysteries are the best!
Darline Auguste
Community Manager
September 2, 2020

Tardy for the party but I'd go with:

• The Office -I already watch this almost daily
  • The Fresh Prince - still makes me laugh out loud
  • Rupaul's Drag Race - oh she really came that way?
  • Blackish - love the balance of laughs & more serious topics
  • The Wire - iconic
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2020

I think it would have to be:

• Game of Thrones - I know the last series is a bit questionable but I love the others
  • Great British Bake Off - Cake!!!!
  • The Thick Of It - Introduced me to the word omnishambles!
  • Killing Eve - Simply because it is amazing
  • Come Dine With Me - everyone needs some 'take your brain out' telly!
Maximiliano Giorgio October 15, 2020

Scrubs: the most underrated tv show ever!

Eeeeeagleeeeeeeeee :-) 

Like Liam Green likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2021

Here is the list of Tv shows:

• Friends
  • Lost
  • Marvel Legends
  • Big Bang Theory
  • Mr. Bean
  • Fairy Tail
  • Dragon Ball Super

There are more..

Regards,

Soumyadeep