Friday Fun: back to school

Sedera Randria
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2021

Happy Friday Everyone!

Summer is almost over☀️. This year, my children have several reasons to be quite anxious about the start of the school year.

When I was young, we used to take a picture on the first day of school to keep a memory. Maybe for a day like today: to have fun in this community and to reduce children's anxiety. Look at this 80s style:

FridayFun.png

Hahaha. And you? What do you remember about your first days of school year? Do you have a story or a picture to share? Let's show our children what terrrrrrible challenges we have faced in the last century 😎

And let's help them to have a good start to school ❤️

14 comments

Comment

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2021

I remember, except one year, not doing summer reading and fully regretting the fact I was about to take a test

Though the one book I did read was Enders game so that was a win

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 20, 2021

@Clark Everson this is off topic but did you see the list of best sci-fi and fantasy books over the last decade? Some good stuff here!

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2021

Yes, and...IMHO they missed some good ones:

• Andy Weir's new book, Project Hail Mary
  • Sylvain Neuvel's Sleeping Giants trilogy
  • Alastair Reynolds's Revenger trilogy
  • Neal Stephenson's Seveneves
  • Hugh Howey's Wool trilogy
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 19, 2021

Oh my goodness, unfortunately, I don't have many pictures of me as a kid with me, but I do remember the first couple of weeks going to first grade. I used to get SO upset when my mother used to leave me at school...

Once I really misbehaved, trashing down the whole classroom and fighting with a couple of school buddies (nowadays good acquaintances.) To make it short (and less embarrassing,) my mom had to pick me up at the principal's office almost every day of those weeks. 

It's funny how this situation lasted only a couple of weeks, then disappeared. Lol. Wow, this #FridayFun thread really brought me back. #Oversharing.

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2021

I remember new socks. We wore uniforms, so socks were the new thing we got.  In white and navy blue. 

I remember new pencils, erasers, pens and lined paper. 

I remember the excitement of seeing which of my friends would be in my class this year. 

I remember getting the text books we would use through the year.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2021

I was always over the top anxious on the first day of school, although I knew that my class was almost always going to be all of my classmates from the year before. I would be fine after I got there, but the time leading up to it was very nerve-wracking. 

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2021

We always did the same thing my mom would take a picture of us.  I don't know what happened to any of them.  My wife has continued the tradition with our kids as her family also did it as well.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2021

I remember being super excited to catch up with classmates who didn't live very close to me. This was before the Internet - and before mobile phones and when any phone call had a local/long-distance cost - so you would actually be catching up with classmates. 😅

Like John Funk likes this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 22, 2021

Great photo @Sedera Randria 

I don't have any of my first day photos, but I know they were always a grim reminder of the grind ahead. I didn't enjoy school much.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2021

Great photo @Sedera Randria and a quite interesting topic you've chosen!

Although I don't have a picture to share with you all, I can say that I was fortunate enough to have my primary school just 2 mins away from my home. Can't remember if I was excited for the first day... most likely I wouldn't be, since I my summer days would be over and I had to spend a lot of time in the classroom. However, I clearly remember how excited I was to buy new notepads, pencils, erasers and crayons for the school. Oh boy! That was super exciting for me! Nice memories! :D

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2021

I don't have any photo, but I remember that in the second grade of the primary school a lot of children, including me, were traveling to the city by bus and it arrived maybe 45 minutes before first lesson started, so I was always the first one in the class, so I could pick my chair and it was always the back one :D

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2021

Much like everyone else, I don't actually have photos.  My parents have them in photo albums at their house.

I don't really have any specific stories I remember about the first day of school.  I do remember that it became a tradition for my friends and I to go to the school in mid-July to find out which class we were in and if we would be in the same class that year.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2021

I had some childhood pictures but the era was different and those are in saved in photo albums.

Sorry, I don't have any specific memory but I can recall that I didn't like to go to primary school in early days but things changed after a month and started loving it might be due to friends and I am still connected with some of them.  

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

On my first day of school, I was missing home so badly that I wanted to run away from school. :man_running: :school:

Like Marjorie likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2021

I recently stumbled upon these Lisa Frank Trapper Keepers, which completely defined my elementary school experience. They're a bit pricey now. 👀

Like Marjorie likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2021

For me it always started with enthusiasm, because I loved to release everything, especially the book backpack

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events