Friday Fun: Your favorite NYE rituals, food & drinks!

Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

We all know about some Xmas or Thanksgiving rituals in other countries. But what about New Years Eve? Are you having a party, a great dinner, nice drinks? Tell us about it & post some pics!

unnamed.jpg

At my place we’re having a french fondue, where you fry vegetables, meat or seafood in hot oil or vegetable stock. You put the food of your choice on little sticks & then cook them in a hot pot in the middle of the table. A variety of sauces (Hot, sweet, garlic, soy, cocktail, cheese, etc.) with it. Very delicious! This matches good with some white wine or champagne.

And, let’s be honest, everybody is waiting for midnight. The fondue takes some hours of the clock. This year, with a hard curfew (1 am) due to our dearest fiend (You know, the big C), we played a nice “Guess the song with Siri, Alexa or Helo” to teach the kids some good music…

And what about you? Any rituals, food & drinks you do on NYE? Let us know & post some pics…

Love & cheers

JP

12 comments

Comment

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2021

Hi @Jan-Peter Rusch ,

This is a really nice topic!

Well, there can be a lot of things but let me tell you some that I would love to have on NYE!

1. Grilled Chicken

2. Multiple soft drinks

3. Fish rolls

4. French Fries with lots of cheese!

😂🤣😁😀😋😎🙂🤩

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

Delicious food, except the french fries with cheese. But I'll try...

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Hi @Jan-Peter Rusch !

here in France, it's all about parties on NYE ! Usually people will try to attend 2 or 3 differents parties during the evening/night, the goal is to meet as many friends as possible to wish them a Happy new year.

Like # people like this
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

Yes, the french rave parties were on TV here in Germany this year. Maybe in a sort of maskless context... ;-)

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Well not sure how it is in other countries, but the NYE goal in Czech Republic is for most of the people to get really drunk. And then get more drunk after midnight. 

I don't think there is some specific drink on NYE - there is just a lot of beer, as always in CZ.

Regarding food, people mostly make these little "sandwiches" (chlebíčky) and canapes (jednohubky) with many different ingredients:

Chlebíčky | Gurmán Klub | Výroba a distribuce lahůdek

Jak a čím zdobit jednohubky na silvestra?

Like # people like this
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

Yeah, czech beer like Pilsener Urquell or the ORIGINAL Budweiser is great! Not so sure over here to get totally drunk. But, my, it's C-time.,,,

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

@JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ yes, these are classics! There are many many breweries here, so everyone can choose what they like according to their taste. Even of course, there are often many beer arguments over which beer is better.. :))

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2021

@Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_ great post... I just have one comment... it is not the only event for which the main goal is to get drunk in the Czech republic :D

Like # people like this
Tom Kakanowski January 15, 2021

Its COVID, so remote games with friends online, Cards Against Humanity style game (https://cardsagainstformality.io/ ).  Winning answers have to drink something on NYE of course.

PS: I'd highly recommend the Crabs Adjust Humidity expansions, depending on your sense of humour...

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Picture1-Cards-Against-Humanity.png

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

@Tom Kakanowski - ha, those demo cards remind me of a Key and Peele skit, gotta find it...

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

Great game. We played it NYE 2019... Don’t play this with your kids 😜

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

My family has done Mexican food (well, our style) for NYE dinner. 

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

On a New Year's Eve, I like to get together with my best buddies and cook different Indian cuisines, especially chicken, and serve these dishes to them.

Believe me, it is really a great experience to hear from your best buddies that I am a good cook, every time they taste my new chicken recipe. :-)

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2021

Nice theme, thank you @Jan-Peter Rusch . When I was younger, it was always about meeting friend in some place where we could not bother anyone with loud music, partying, drinking and ... that what comes after drinking :D.
Organization was set up as follows. Everyone had to bring bottle of alcohol beverage (Slivovice is favourite one in my region - it is made from plums and has about 52-55% of alcohol). We always had a beer keg (50litres, so we had enough to continue drinking beer in the morning).

Everyone also brought small sandwiches and everyone brought for everyone so we had a lot of food. To be honest the portion of food per one person was probably the most common reason for sickness the other day :D.

This yeas I went to bed in 10PM because we have two little kids so no partying in past years and at least few future years :D

Like # people like this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2021

Thank you for the topic! 

@Jan-Peter Rusch Maybe my main rituals is the making a wish

image.png

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2021

Every year we are visiting our best friends - they have quite big terrace and we can watch all the fireworks above Prague (= capital city of the Czech Republic) there at the midnight.

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2021

Even far from my hometown (Sao Paulo - Brazil), to me, along with the traditional NYE food, it all comes down to a great barbecue... 😋

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2021

In years past, we've visited a local pinball museum/hall that stays open a little past midnight. One price includes unlimited play, and in prior years they also used to have snacks, a limited bar, party hats, raffle prizes, etc.

https://www.pacificpinball.org/

This is from 2013:
GOPR0502.JPG

Like # people like this
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2021

Great idea! I miss pinballs over here. You don’t find them anymore...

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2021

Normally we do a raclette and watch fireworks (sounds very old-fashioned and traditional, I know) but this year it was kinda special.
So we skipped the big dish and had pizza - and jokes about 2020. And to be honest, a little bit of humour is never bad. And: who does not like pizza. Crazy times, crazy dishes.

Pizza.jpg

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2021

It reminds me - I've just read today, that if you want to motivate your employees, you just need to praise them and give them pizza :-).

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2021

Lunch as a perk is a pretty awesome perk (assuming the food is good). One of my past jobs had a pretty healthy lunch (catered) most days of the week.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events