Friday Fun: You can only use 3 mobile apps for the rest of your life what are they?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Greetings Everyone!

Sorry this week is coming to everyone a little later than usual.

First I need to give credit to this diabolical question to the wonderful @Erica Moss!  She asked this to a small group of Community leaders and all of us just about cried thinking about having to give up our wonderful mobile apps. 

So, the question is, "You can only use three (3) app on your mobile device for the rest of your life.  What apps do you choose? and why?"

I'm going to give a different answer than I did originally, as I've had time to properly think about it.

#1 - Google Chrome: Yes this one is cheating, but I don't care that's all the more reason to choose it.  I know I can access a number of things that there are native mobile apps for.  But personally, the number of times I need to look something up because I recognize someone in the movie I'm watching but I don't know why, is the #1 most important use case for me having a mobile device ;)

#2 - Gmail (any email client): I have an android device so really any mail client because I need access to my email and Gmail is the best for my device setup.

#3 - Slack:  The easiest way for my friends to get a hold of me is on slack and therefore this fits the #3 spot.

Alright everyone, now that I have traumatized you with this tough decision, what would you say are your most important apps.

Have a great weekend everyone!

22 comments

Comment

Sven Cipido October 18, 2020

Damn this is difficult.

Let's say this are my 3 apps:

#1 Chrome: Need this to lookup things that I need. For example if on holiday what I can do in the neighbourhood, but also for work to help me with things.

#2 Google calendar: to keep of all my appointments

#3 Waze: to help me through traffic and to get everywhere I want.

I have a few more so people can contact me, but as we only could enter 3 apps, well I will use Google calendar to set a date with friends and family and Waze to drive to them :-)

Have a great weekend all

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2020

Thanks for sharing @Sven Cipido!  I haven't used Waze personally, and yes I think the purpose of this exercise was to display just how important mobile apps have become in navigating our lives!

Like # people like this
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2020

Ok, Basically it was pretty difficult, but here I'm listing the apps according to my daily usage nowadays.
So I decided what it can be!! 😎

#1. Microsoft Edge/Google Chrome: Learning never ends. The more you search, the more you learn! 😋

#2. Slack: Collaboration!!!! It's good to use it because it makes conversation, formal/informal very easy and with some good security without enabling private/incognito mode. 😁

#3. Trello: Time/Scheduling/Reminder/Checklist and many more. It offers the best tools/services for my daily work! 🤩

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2020

Yeah, I originally had Trello in my list as well, but I forgot how much I use Chrome for random things ;)

Like # people like this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2020

That would be a nightmare as I have quite many apps on my device, despite trying to select carefully.

#1 Chrome: this was kind of easy - as a browser is nowadays considered "your window to the world". I'd trade Chrome in for another browser as I am not very tied to it but there are not so many good alternatives.

#1 WhatsApp: for WhatsApp basically the same applies as for Chrome - in case there comes somthing better along I am not hesitant to switch. So more generally speaking 'a messenger' should be within the three apps I will be allowed to use for the rest of my life.

#3 Flora Incognita: yes, this is where the fun comes it. The idea is simple: take a picture of a plant, tree or bush a with some probability you are presented with information what the green stuff you are seeing is correctly named - awesome.
Using this app I found out somebody planted sage (plenty of!) next to our bus station (you won't believe what a nice smell it has).

I wish you all a great Sunday.

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2020

If you're looking for a new browser, might I suggest Vivaldi? It's built on Chromium, so it can use all of the extensions in the Chrome Webstore, but is super-customizable. I've been using it for about a year because it allows you to stack tabs. I don't use 10% of the features it has, but I love it.

Like Tomáš Vošický likes this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2020

This choice is a tough one, but looking at my current mobile usage statistics (screen time):

1. Safari: I would be surprised by not seeing a browser on everyone's list. I'm always looking for faster and secure alternatives, whether it's mobile or desktop. I have recently tried Brave, but Safari still gives me a better experience in iOS.
  2. Spark: the smart inbox it's smarter than others than I've tried before (including the Gmail app) and saves me hours.
  3. WhatsApp: I wish I had other options, but 99% of my family and friends use it.
Like # people like this
meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2020

oooff ! Tough one 

I get personally attached to apps like many things i own and it gets hard for me to get rid of them. 

1 - Whatsapp (Or any one form of text message) 

2 - Google chrome    - I use everyday all the time, also this is a hack to access any app without actually downloading the app.  HA!

3 - Instagram  - I like the thrill of it.  

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2020

This is very difficult!

1. WhatsApp - its the best way of getting hold of me!

2. Samsung Internet Browser - it isn't fancy, but it does the job

3. Amazon Music - nothing else needs to be said

Like # people like this
Jen October 22, 2020

I come to this question through a practical approach, knowing if all only had 3 apps to use the online community would be quite different.  

Who here remembers life in the early 90s?👍

I think we could give up email, with chat options I could see where it is basically obsolete.

Our family, especially those who never made the leap to SM, use :WhatsApp:... So that would need to be my first pick.

Next I would say Medium, if I couldn't easily get thoughts out of my head I would go crazy, and we don't want that!

Lastly, I lean towards Chrome, because it comes with maps... We travel a lot and I rely on maps side search to help learn about the unspoken places the brochures miss!

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2020

Ooh, you're evil, @Jimmy Seddon and @Erica Moss!

I like having native apps for things like gmail and my calendar, but honestly as long as I have a mobile browser, I can still access those that way. So what are the three apps I have that provide me something I can only get in the app?

1. Chrome. Probably 90% of the apps I use have mobile-friendly sites that I could live with, although it's not quite as convenient as a native app.
  2. Google Home. I've got my house wired up with smart plugs, and the ability to control my lights, TV, etc. from anywhere via voice is now absolutely necessary to me (even though when I first got my Google Mini - free with purchase of Pixel - it sat in the box for 6 months because I didn't think I'd use it 😅)
  3. The Roku app. It lets me use my phone as the remote for my smart TV. This doesn't seem like a huge advantage, until you are trying to search for a title or enter a password on Prime/Netflix/whatever and can now use your phone keyboard to actually type it out, instead of having to use the arrow keys on a tiny remote to navigate an on-screen keyboard.

Honorable mention is the native camera app on my phone.

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2020

Still a hard decision, like in the mentioned coffee chat... 🙈😊

But: 

#1 Instagram - for sharing pics and getting inspiration 

#2 iMessage - obvious

#3 Music - I could never imagine a life without music

Like # people like this
Joshua Mathews October 23, 2020

Excluding The Big 3 (defaults) like mail, calendar, browser: 

1. Calls Blacklist: I would go crazy with all the spam calls. 
  2. Authenticator: MFA rocks. 
  3. Facebook: Gotta kill time standing in line or whatever!  
Like Sven Cipido likes this
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2020

TeuxDeux, WhatsApp, LastPass

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2020

Chrome, camera, and some unified message app

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2020

1) A browser (Google Chrome)

2) A navigation application (Google Maps)

3) Youtube (There are so many videos on everything from which I can learn a lot)

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2020

1) The dialer ... I guess nobody else in this thread will actually be making calls with their phone. : )

2) Calculator

3) Camera

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2020

My list is

1. Whatsapp - for messaging

2. Chrome - for browsing, access emails etc

3. Google pay - for the financial transactions

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2020

You can only use three (3) app on your mobile device for the rest of your life...

I could imagine a situation where I have to use my laptop to check email or use a web browser, and maybe that would be a good thing? Three apps I couldn't do without on my mobile device are...

1. Messages - must send texts...
  2. Podcasts -  I listen to podcasts on walks, long drives, while doing chores, etc.
  3. Libby - Similar to above, this gives me access to library books & audiobooks wherever I go.
Dean de Tongre November 4, 2020
  1. Whatsapp
  2. Waze
  3. Instagram
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2020

1 whatsapp

2 t.b.d

3 a browser to open the other stuff i need (hope an app in an app counts...)

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

I hope to stop using apps at some point and disconnect.  But if there are ones I would use they would be related to keeping in touch with family.  These seem to change with each generation.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2021

instagram, mail app and telegram

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2021

It's pretty hard to decide but here are the top 3 apps I can use for the rest of my life:

1. Brave: For browsing the internet😋

2. Slack: To collaborate with everyone 😁

3. Trello: To track & schedule my daily work! 🤩

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like Harsh Tandon likes this
gs sa September 11, 2021

Is there a way to do the precise equal element however with Whatsapp in preference to MS Teams?

I mean sending notifications to a whatsapp institution, every time a Jira provider-desk price tag of precedence X is created through purchaser Y ?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events