Friday Fun - World Cup Edition

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2018

It's june 1st, the World Cup Month and time for funny moments with coworkers, friends and family to begin.

I understand that not everybody loves soccer. However, there are some World Cup moments that transcend the sport.

Some of these moments are beautiful and emotional such as tales of triumph against adversity and heroism. But others are just really, really funny. The latter are our personal favorites.

In this thread I want to invite you to share how you support to your favorite team with a funny picture, short story, meme or gif.  If you don´t have a favorite team you can share a funny moment that reminds you of the World Cup.

We are so proud that our Team is participating in this World Cup for the first time ever, reason why I am sharing this excitement with you all 

Funny picture!

canva-photo-editor (1).png

14 comments

Comment

Deleted user June 1, 2018

Remi Gaillard (Prankster) assumes the guise of a player and joins in with the other winning players. No one notices until it is too late. 

Note: Not the World Cup Final, but I have always wanted to do this! :)

Cheers @Omar Herrera

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018
It was a really funny moment :)
Deleted user December 11, 2018

At my organisation we play an end of year football match to celebrate the Christmas period, no one holds back in the game either. 

Like Paz likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2018

To be honest, I'm not into soccer. But I love the day, when the final will be held. It's the perfect day for visiting a theme park, especially, if the final is in the afternoon (in Germany) because of the time difference.  And even better: if Germany takes part in the final, the theme park is really empty. No waiting queues, nowhere, not even at the wildest, newest rollercoasters :-)

I wish you a lot of Worldcup Fun!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2018

@Thomas Schlegelthat's a awesome idea :)

Gonna keep that in mind :D See you in theme park

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2018

@Fabienne Gerhard - Yeah, let's meet in Europa Park - I'll be there in September :-)  (not on World Cup final day)

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2018

That would be so cool - always wanted to visit this great park. Let's keep that in mind. 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2018

Thomas, your post really made me laugh out loud... :D

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

In the US, the superbowl is my absolute favorite day to go shopping. I do not blame you one bit. What is sports even??

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2018

Congrats to Panama for joining in - wish you good luck!

I'm totally into soccer - I love the fever and excitement during the whole championship.

Although I'm from Germany I will not post the result from last times semi final - I'm more into the outsider teams from smaller countries (like you guys from Panama)

The moment I want to share has something to do with the team from tiny country Iceland and their story from European Championship 2016. That's what soccer is all about - even the smallest ones can beat the big ones.

Have a look and feel the shiver!

Like Paz likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 1, 2018

I'm sad about the World Cup this year because my #1 team (Netherlands) isn't in it, and my backup team (USA) is out too!  I guess I will root for Panama, @Omar Herrera 😉

I was in the Netherlands in 2010 for my sister's wedding and got to watch Holland play vs. Germany in the World Cup at a rowdy outdoor bar in Rotterdam. So fun. Here's me and my cousin:

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 1.07.40 PM.png 

Like # people like this
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

My heart is always shared between France (I was born there) and Netherland (cause I'm a huge fan of the team). I'm so pissed they are not in this year!

At least France is having a great team!

Nice pic @Monique vdB!

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2018

@Monique vdB feel free to cheer for my two teams, Mexico and Spain! 

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Thanks so much @Monique vdB Panama need all possible support :D. Nice picture.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2018

@Monique vdB - you‘re a real queen - wearing a crown almost everywhere :-)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 1, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel I wondered if anyone would comment on that. I should have known you would! ;) 

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2018

Also appreciating your extremely orange feather boa ;)

Panama has my support too! I took a Buzzfeed quiz a while ago (when the US officially was out), and it matched me with Panama. Go Panama!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

@Monique vdBI was always supporting The Netherlands (maybe also because I like orange color ;)) I really liked the old team with de Boer brothers, Marc Overmars, Edvin van der Sar ..  Those guys were real football champs! :) I remember I was taking part 18 years ago in 2000 in a contest where you where trying to predict all games scores, who will win Euro 2000 and who will become a best scorer. It was real fun and I remember I choose that Patrick Kluivert will get most goals and actually he did and because of that I got more points and I won the contest! ;) . That was a great feeling.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2018

I have a funny story that involves famous football players. About 5 years ago I lived in Madrid, Spain and tutored 2 young boys in English. We were practicing our vocabulary words for the week with opposite flash cards. For example, I say "go", they say "stop". One of the words from the list was organized so I asked, "What's the opposite of messy?" and one of the boys looks at me with a confused look and says "Cristiano Ronaldo?"

Wrong answer, but I had to laugh. Nicely done, little kid. 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2018

For those that aren't as familiar with football: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messi%E2%80%93Ronaldo_rivalry

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

It's so funny history thanks for share with us @BiancaE

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 1, 2018

lol!

Bridget
Community Manager
June 1, 2018

@BiancaE moar stories

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 1, 2018
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2018

Too cute!

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Now that is a good one!

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Good one, in person with a kid, that should be awesome laugh :D

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
June 5, 2018

@Monique vdB not yet! I have to come up with a good topic first, and then I'll sign up :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 5, 2018

@BiancaE well I think the first available date is in September at this point, so you have time to think of a topic... 😉

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

To be honest I was never a big fan of soccer until probably about 10 years ago or so. At the time the girl I was dating used to play soccer and was a fan of the sport. The World Cup came on and she was all about it and I was meh at first. As my only experience with soccer was the 3 games I played at goalie which is not an accurate description of the job I did as I was blocking everything but the ball going into the goal. Back to the World Cup, she started watching it more frequently while we were hanging so my interest started to peak. This was the World Cup where Zidane head butted the guy in the chest and was overall a very good World Cup. Long story short I started to learn about soccer and haven't missed watching a World Cup to this day! Including playing all the FIFA's as well!

I started rooting for Brazil which I still do to this day, but also for Spain and Germany (my family heritage), and USA. 

Paz
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2018

@Bryan Trummer thanks for sharing that story! Might I suggest getting out to see a US soccer game live one day? 

Find out where The American Outlaws are sitting and get close to them. They cheer, sing, and dance all game, have a pre-game march to the stadium, and for the senior men's and women's teams they usually have a party at a local pub beforehand. Worth checking out for some serious soccer fun!

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

@Paz - I have tried to get to a Sporting KC game when I was living in Nebraska as KC is a short drive. Now that I am in Florida I plan on getting to one at some point. Thanks for the tip!

Paz
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2018

@Bryan Trummer OH MAN! I'm from Florida! Lived most of my life in Orlando, and was around when my beloved Orlando City Soccer Club was born back in our USL days!

You absolutely MUST make it to an Orlando City game, they are wild man! Just watch one on TV (there's one in a few hours actually) and you can hear the people singing for the entire match. And when we score watch out for the purple fog!

It's supposed to be one of the best soccer experiences in North America.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2018

@Paz - Oh I certainly plan on it! Have heard nothing but amazing things concerning the experience to an Orlando soccer match.

LeKisha Boswell June 4, 2018

Not much of a soccer fan; however, I always found it amusing that the sport is referred to as football across much of the world which makes perfect sense. Not sure how the USA missed the memo:) 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 4, 2018

@LeKisha Boswell we also forgot to get on the metric system....

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

No worries, there still is Canada: the place where every distances are in km but that's nearly the only thing taken from the metric system (people are 5'10 tall, weight 140lb and drink a 4 ounces cocktail...).

As I'm not yet a Canadian citizen I'll just add: I LOVE CANADA (don't kick me out for this please)

LeKisha Boswell June 4, 2018

@Monique vdB .....maybe they confused it with the metro system...LOL!

@miikhy ...Promise your comment is safe with me:) Plus I would like to visit Canada soon so we'll just sing their praise!

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

...... Well. I don't watch any sports....

Can Esports count? Cause i have all the League of Legends Worlds gifs and moments hahahaha

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Yeaaaah another LoL player.

Wait..... you play Teemo. Fck off, you ***** piece of ******, noob haxxor, reported.

That was an epic LoL moment.

Disclaimer: League of Legends community is a troll, and toxic.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

TRUTH. But pretty much any gaming community is sooooo toxic. People think that just because you can't see the other person and that you're typing, you can just say whatever. I hate when people do that. I normally have my team on mute unless I'm playing with friends and viewers.

The nerd rage is real!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

@Heth Siemer@miikhy - do you know the LoL boardgame? It’s called Mechs vs Minions and it‘s so awesome, with hundreds of miniatures and a lot of stuff in a really really big box. The game design is also tremendous. 

Curious? Look here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/209010/mechs-vs-minions

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Such a fun game to play!

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Didn’t know that!

So cool! Will look into it!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

Too bad, the game is too heavy to carry it to Barcelona

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

I am familiar! I've played it a few times! I love it!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

I've never really been into soccer (football) but I did happen to find myself in Belgium in 2000 while the world cup final game was going on and my-oh-my was that an entertaining sight to see.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

I never got the hang of football.  Still don't get why they don't just pick it up and run with it.

But I do remember the only football match I've been to, just because of the atmosphere, 1994 a couple of matches before Liverpool shut the (all-standing) Kop.  I can see why people get together in a like-minded way and form a transient bond with an crowd made up of complete strangers who only have one thing in common.

Jon Watts June 6, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- a self-organised, liked-minded team with common/shared goal. Sounds like a perfect Agile Team to me :-)

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2018

I love this game!

Best wishes to Germany

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 7, 2018

The World Cup Quiz says I should root for Serbia. Go Serbia!

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 9.02.48 AM.png

Like Fadoua likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

For me, it’s South Korea, says the quiz

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

Evidentally I'm Iran.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

Croatia! :D

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

Apparently its Argentina for me. I disagree ha ha!

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

Looks like I should be rooting for Iceland!

iceland.PNG

Like LarryBrock likes this
Paulo Alves June 28, 2018

Colombia for me, so close 😂

GO PORTUGAL!

Paz
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2018

I feel like I've been waiting for a topic like this on an Atlassian forum my whole life! This is me, bringing my whole self to work!

Soccer is my love, my passion. I don't take myself too seriously, but I love the sport very much. I play, coach, and love to watch all kinds of soccer.

But going to a World Cup is the pinnacle of the soccer fan experience, and anyone that loves the sport and loves to party should make attending a World Cup a part of their bucket list.

I was lucky enough to go to the World Cup in 2006, in Germany...

John Beer (1).jpg   John_Germany.jpg

And then fortunate enough again to go to the World Cup in 2014, in Brazil...

John-brazil.jpg

But I love soccer from any distance! And this time I won't be going the big tournament -- for reasons I'd rather not discuss (my team didn't make it!) -- but that doesn't mean I don't still go crazy for my team when they play!

This is me when I'm sitting at home watching the game... just because I'm not there, doesn't mean I'm not screaming to support my team!

john-usa.png

But I'm not the only one crazy like this. There are hundreds of thousands of US Soccer supporters that travel for away matches, and many of us belong to fan clubs whose purpose is to Unite & Strengthen support for US Soccer. 

The USA may not be in this World Cup, and we may not be the first nation you think of when it comes to passionate soccer fans... but make no mistake, we care about The Beautiful Game, a lot... here's more evidence:

Reaction to Landon Donovan's game-winning goal against Algeria, 2010 World Cup

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

Good to see true soccer fans here :) .. World Cup starting in one day! It is very exiting! Wondering who will win ;)

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2018

Thank so much @Paz from today and for a month the world is celebrating. Congratulations to the Russians.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2021

Eagerly waiting for the next world cup in 2022 in Qatar. I hope there would not be any delay and the whole world would be again on their feet cheering and shouting for teams! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events