Friday Fun : Where did you grew up VS where you live now !

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Hi everybody.

Last week I hit 30. Ouch.

This made me think about the place where I grew up, more specifically the environment, people and pets I grew up with.

I spent my childhood in a small village of about 1.000 people in Ardèche, France.

So as a kid, I used to wake up every morning on that type of landscape : 

IMG_20160711_120522 (1).jpg

And that soft lady was my neighbour :

IMG_20160717_182329 (2).jpg

(Well at least that lady looks like the the one I grew up with, the original one certainly is in cow heaven now, but it might be her daughter, who knows ? )

30 years gone by, yadi yadi yada. I live in Lyon, France. A city of 1,5 million people. What a twist  huh ?

Now, my view is a little bit more artificial and mineral :

IMG_20170519_195543 (1).jpg

And she is my neighbour :

20210111_213104.jpg

The bonus is she can sleep with me at night, and she is more manageable on a daily basis.

To be honest, I miss the countryside a lot.

Don't get me wrong, living in a big city has a lot of perks, in terms of job opportunities, friends and activities. I would not go back to the place I grew up in a million years... but having a little garden patch and breathing a cleaner air could honestly be very big advance ! 

And what about you fellow Community-ans ?

- Where did you grew up ? City or village ?

- How was it (pics !!!) ?

- Where do you live now ? 

- How do you feel about it ?

23 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

@Flavien Gache - the closest I've ever been to Ardeche is Lyon! I can't imagine what it's like to live in a place where you could potentially know everyone's name (or family, at least).

My family's so big that I have relatives in Lyon - I love the vibe of that city.

Also, your cat is the best! 😻

Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Well indeed I still know the names of many people in my hometown. However it's not the case in Lyon... even though I met many people in the amount of time I lived there (about 10 years as of now).

Love to here that you love this city. It's a great place to stay with a fascinating history.

Thanks ! She is so cuddly and cute I love her too !

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2021

I grew up on a farm just north of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada. There is literally nothing there. If your dog runs away, you can watch it run away for 2 days. -40C in the winter 40C in the summer. it's a good place to be from (my brother and I both say we "escaped" but at least it HAS been mentioned as a joke on The Simpsons)

MooseJaw.jpg

I now live in Southern California. There are things here. I could put all the typical pictures of beaches, Disneyland, Hollywood, Traffic, etc etc etc that are all right in my close vicinity but the surprising thing is that mere  minutes from my house, I can go on a hike with this kind of view

SoCal.jpg

I think I prefer... here... especially the part of it NEVER being -40C. Mind you, I WAS chilly one time.... 

Like # people like this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 5, 2021

🤣

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Gosh your first photo feels like the first chapter of a Stephen King novel I just finished.

Don't get me wrong, I love those type of places however. :) 

Your current place in California looks awesome to take walks on lazy afternoons !

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2021

I shall have to mention that to my brother as we both comment on how different our lives are since we escaped from analog society, @Flavien Gache 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

I've only ever been an English Town dweller.

• <5 - Stockport.   A lot of people won't know where that is, so I usually say "Manchester" - Stockport is a large town in the Greater Manchester conurbation and our three houses were all 15 minutes from Manchester city centre by foot and train.
  • 5-20 - I tell everyone I grew up in Reading, Berkshire, by default, as it explains things like my (almost complete lack of) accent, where most of those lifetime milestones happened, and why I'm allowed to call myself an Old Redingensian
  • 18-22 - Part time living in Liverpool, for University
  • And the "where you are now":
  • >20 - I live in a small market town in the East Midlands that used to have a decent commuter connection to London, although I sort of stopped commuting 4-5 years ago before the cuts (or Covid).  It's rare that people have heard of it, unless
    • You're an Elizabethan history buff.  One house I lived in here was Sir Christopher Hatton's coach house (he was a favourite of Lizzy 1 and funded Francis Drake's expedition on the Golden Hind and there are markers of that all over town)
    • You are interested in shoes and boots, specifically Dr. Martens 
    • Ardent Radiohead fans might remember it's Thom Yorke's home town
  • I've no plans to move again for a while, unless there's some dramatic event or milestone that warrants it.  The next big change in terms of living space will probably be adding a dog to it rather than moving
Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Oh yes that's one of the reasons I want to move in the next years to a house with a garden : having a little puppy.

RegularPhonyAngora-size_restricted.gif

I know you can have one in an appartment but that would be really inconvenient for me to have to take it for a walk several times a day. Plus I want a big one.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

I grew in a small town about 80 miles east of Nashville, TN. And now I live in Nashville. In between, I lived for about 25 years in North Alabama and 5 years in Bolivia, South America. But planning on a bigger move sometime next year. :-)

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 5, 2021

How windswept and interesting - Bolivia!

Like Flavien Gache likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

I'm from the Czech Republic. I was born in Jihlava, which is the largest town of the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands. During my university studies I moved to the capital city of Prague. Now I live in Roztoky, a small town near the capital.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
August 5, 2021

I grew up in the driest state in the driest continent, living in the 'burbs. Couldn't wait to leave.

Now I live in the South East Forests, miles from anyone and anything, lots of rain. Plan to be carried out of here in a box.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

I grew up in London, Ontario, Canada.  We were the odd ones out as we always had to travel north about 2.5 hours to be at family gatherings.

When I moved out to get a job, I moved north to Waterloo and shortly after my girlfriend (at the time, now my wife) got a place together in Guelph.  We have stayed in Guelph ever since and I love the small(er) town feel.  It also happens to be much closer to extended family except both set of our parents who are both still back in the London area.

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2021

Small World... Before I moved to California, I was living in the GTA for 7 years and... nearby. I lived in Georgetown. First job there was an engineering firm at the QEW/403 and then downtown (TSE then Citibank) taking the GO train every day to work.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

I grew up in a small farming community in Washington before moving to Idaho.  I now reside in Idaho in a small city but work for a company in Washington.  How things have come full circle.

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

I was born and lived unitl 18yo in a rather small city in Central Greece. Now, and for the past 14+ years I live in Athens Greece. I do often miss how good life was in a small city, but I do love the anonymity that large cities provide (among other things of course). 

And I can't complain about the view I have from my window 

20210302_180701.jpg

(in case you miss it, you can see the Acropolis and the Parthenon)

Alex

Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Jeez, that's something living near those legends !

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

I don't have any complains to be honest and I can enjoy a cold beer looking at the Parthenon! :) 

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2021

Athens is a lovely place. Most of my time there, however, has been usual tourist stuff along with other side journeys and not far from your location in Plaka... Good memories there.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2021

I grew up in a small(ish) city called Stoke on Trent, in the northen midlands of England...

I now live in a small(ish) city called Stoke on Trent, in the northen midlands of England...

In the mean time I've moved to various local towns, and its difficult a lot of the time to know where Stoke ends.  I've always enjoyed living here - its unusual for a city in that everyone seems to know everyone, no matter where you go on holiday you will always find a 'Stokie'

Its a really convenient place to live too, about 50 miles from both Manchester and Birmingham and with the Peak District national park right on our doorstep

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

SoT is lovely! As is North Midlands

My sister has live for agggggges in the Birmingham area, the last decade or so in Sutton Coldfield.

(Just to name drop... my nephew plays for Aston Villa and is contracted to age 18. We believe they sold Greelish to make way for him in the senior team... hah!)

From the whole region I would say Chester City always held a special place in my heart, whilst Alton Towers delivered INSANE amounts of awesome memories... we went as much as we possibly could growing up!
1sjM.gif

Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

That must be something interesting to stay in the same town where you grew up. 

The only time I go back is for holidays and I everytime I can't escape this weird feeling of nostalgia from the difference between my memories and the current state of this place.

It sounds like a nice place to visit !

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2021

I love Chester - its so pretty and historical.

I also loved Alton Towers growing up - we'd be there as often as possible.

I'll keep an eye out for a player with "Fun Man Andy's Newphew" on his shirt!

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2021

I still live where I grew up

Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Oh nice ! And where is that place ?

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

I grew up in a negative, pessimistic environment full of depression and misery.

I now live in an amazingly positive, optimistic environment that is full of family love and epicness.

🙂🤩💖👏

Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

That's good to hear ! 

Sometimes growing up (and moving) is indeed a great start to getting better.

Glad for you that it turned out this way !

giphy.gif

Like Fun Man Andy likes this
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

I grew up in a mining village in South Wales UK.

Many changes later, I live in the suburbs of London. Completely different. Unplanned journey but all worked out well.

IMG_0122.JPG

Like # people like this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

I'm a small-town boy from India. Say "Hi" to your neighbour ;-)

Valerie Knapp August 6, 2021

I grew up in the Midwest in the United States, in Peoria, Illinois, and then as soon as I could move, I was out of there! Now I live in Italy, a massive upgrade if you ask me! :)

Like # people like this
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Could I ask you details about the improvements ? People ? Landscapes ? Cooking maybe ? 

What do you like most in Italy ?

Valerie Knapp August 8, 2021

IMAG0276.jpg

This is me in front of my parents' house where I grew up in Peoria, Illinois. Illinois is a nice place to grow up really. I was kind of joking about the upgrade. My parents still live in this house and it is near to my other relatives so we used to spend a lot of time visiting with my cousins and grandparents when I was younger. Food is another story. I didn't learn to cook until I moved out. I started working when I was in high school but I would just grab fast food or something. It wasn't until I was living independently that I needed to figure out how to feed myself and to try to make balanced meals, which I didn't really manage to do until I was out of university and working on a small island near Seattle, on Vashon in Washington state.

ZOE_0007.jpg

I had the great pleasure to live in Bristol, England for about 10 years. I originally moved there for my ex to retrain as a teacher but I was really fortunate to start work in a high school with a group of other people my age and we are still close friends. Bristol is a great place to live, full of cinema and lots of other activities and culture. The food is great and you can find everything there. 

IMG_20190729_210730-EFFECTS.jpg

Now I live in Padova, Italy. I moved there in 2019 because my partner won a sort of 'brain drain' competition to get Italians to come back and inject some new energy and ideas into their economy. I like living close to one of our families as I said before, family is very important to me and it was hard for both of us in the UK to be away from our close family. The food in Italy is obviously amazing and I am again fortunate that my mother-in-law is an amazing cook so I am getting exposed to new delicacies all the time. I have also greatly improved my own cooking, like focaccia, pesto, pizza. I would say that I have found it a bit harder to break into socially in Italy than other places I have lived but you cannot remove the impact of Covid from that. Anyway, if anyone is curious about living abroad, learning to live in a second language at the ripe old age of 35! or moving around, ask away! and have a great week!

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
August 6, 2021

Where I grew up:

In Caracas, Venezuela, it was a beautiful place, and I miss it very much: great city, perfect weather, and beautiful scenery. I had to escape from there because the quality of life went to the trash caused by political chaos:

caracas.jpg

Where I live now:

Since I left Venezuela I've been living in several places, and the place I always come back is to Madrid, Spain, where my work is, and the closest thing to home I have nowadays:

Madrid.jfif

I suck at saving pictures; these are referential but capture well the spirit of both cities-

Like # people like this
Tom Kakanowski August 6, 2021

I grew up in southern Ontario, not far from Niagara Falls and Toronto.

I have since lived in New York, California, London, Glasgow, Georgia and am in British Columbia now, likely sticking around.

canada--british-columbia--joffre-lakes-provincial-park--lower-joffre-lake-557384599-59c2e86522fa3a001151da15

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

Happy birthday @Flavien Gache  :)

I grew up in a small village Bernartice nad Odrou, Czech republic. I moved to Brno (second biggest city of the Czech republic) for 3 or 4 years. But I moved back to my original region to city called Novy Jicin which is only 6km to Bernartice.

And I'm going to move to Bernartice nad Odrou next year, so the circle will be closed :).

I thought I will like living in a city and it was working when I had time to go to pub almost every day. But now I really like just spending some time in garden and grass cutting :D

IMG_20210206_105338.jpgIMG_20201015_162342.jpg

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
August 6, 2021

There is a lot to be said for just hanging in the garden.

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2021

I grew up in Flensburg, a small town next to the border to Denmark in the north of Germany.

Flensburg.jpg

Now I currently live in Lüneburg. Lüneburg is a city in Lower Saxony but also in the north of Germany.

Lueneburg.jpg

The cities are 216 kilometres apart and Lüneburg is slightly bigger. But to be honest, the cities have a lot in common and look kind of the same.

I like both cities a lot. I'm pretty excited about where I'll head in the next couple of years.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
August 6, 2021

absolutely beautiful

Like Svenja Lorenzen likes this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
August 8, 2021

You just gave me a new destination to travel to. Thanks for sharing, @Svenja Lorenzen!

Like # people like this
Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2021

You’re very welcome @Huwen Arnone ☺️

Let me know if you need some tips. I’m always happy to share!

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
August 9, 2021

Well, shoot ahead, @Svenja Lorenzen! I haven't planned my summer vacations yet (I know!! 😅,) so, your tips will be very welcomed.

And now I'm extra curious: what's waiting for you ahead in the next couple of years, if it's possible to know? 😮 (sorry about my curiosity.)

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2021

Hi @Svenja Lorenzen and @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ I like your places visuals and looks peaceful. close to nature for leading a life.

Hi @Flavien Gache interesting topic and people will go down to their lifetime memories :)

Like # people like this
Sven Cipido August 8, 2021

I grow up in a small village in the north of Antwerp.
And now I moved away from there and live 10 minutes driving from my old place :-) in a sub-village.

Both near the, of course, same canal :-)
266px-Canal_Schoten-Dessel_stop_lock_Ravels_20040813-004.jpeg

And a lot of leftovers from the World Wars
Brecht_Kempisch_Kanaal_znr_-_279064_-_onroerenderfgoed.jpeg

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
August 8, 2021

I always have found Antwerp very interesting. I love the train station there and the park behind it. So cool; thanks for sharing @Sven Cipido

Like Sven Cipido likes this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2021

@Sven Cipido ,

Thanks for sharing and these lovely snaps. Are these part of KW/Dyle Line?

Sven Cipido August 9, 2021

Hi @Suvradip Paul , The KW/Dyle line is specific for the region around the Dyle. This is around what we call "Antitank gracht" or in English "Anti-tank ditch" around Antwerp. Little more info: https://www.wikipe.wiki/wiki/nl/Antitankgracht_(Antwerpen)

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2021

Thanks @Sven Cipido  for correcting and sharing more details!

Like Sven Cipido likes this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2021

Was born and raised in Puerto Rico.
Now live in Florida.

I miss the food, the mountains and the beaches. We have beaches where I am at now, but they are not as pretty.

Like Valerie Knapp likes this
Wesley Shepard August 9, 2021

I was born in Akron, Oh

pretty boring Lebron James was the only thing exciting to come out of it. They had good pizza spots though

Now I live in West Hollywood, Ca.

I've been here for about 6 days now and so far so good. Every day i see interesting characters. I like that you can commute here without a car. 

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events