Friday Fun: What would your Utopia look like?

BJ Miller
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2020

Greetings, fellow Atlassian Community members!

As we get closer to the end of the year, we often reflect on where we are, what's going on in our lives, and what changes we should make. 

Take a second and think about... what are your top three values as a human?

The harder question that follows is, Are your behaviors and choices aligned with those values? 

As an example, I try to 1. Live as a great teammate and partner to my family, 2. Act with the interest of the planet in mind where I can (specifically in my food choices, because that feels like something I can control!), and 3. Bring my best self to work and delight my customers and prospects.

When I'm living toward those values, I'm creating my own Utopia. 

In Switzerland, they have "Honesty Shopping"

Tiny little shops in the middle of the Swiss Alps share the idealism of this society in the form of honesty shops. These are little shops that allow you to buy your fresh cheese, milk, bread, honey, and butter without anyone there to watch you indulge in the delicious dairy products of the area. In fact, most of the day, no one watches these shops because they are owned by farmers who are out taking care of the animals, so all you do is leave your money behind in a little basket. And what’s amazing is that this form of consumer trust results in incredible customer loyalty and honesty among the communities.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.49.19 PM.png 

What does your Utopia look like as we speed toward the most giving and grateful time of year?
Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
<3 BJ

3 comments

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 10, 2020

In my utopia - people have the resources to spend their time and energy on and with their loved ones. It's easy to fall into the trap (or be unable to escape the trap) of focusing on economic/financial things.

Like # people like this
BJ Miller
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2020

I love this, Kat!

I feel like there is some research (or philosophy) that says there's a financial point beyond which you can start to focus on other things, after your basic needs are met. The challenge is that we can get caught in that fear of not having those basics - maybe that becomes a habit? I *try* to be present with my decisions and thoughts... I doesn't always work!! 

Thank you for your comment! 

John Martin
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2020

Honesty shops are cool.  I remember passing a stand at the side of the road somewhere here in California that sold pies the same way.  It would be great to live life as if you trust that nobody will steal all your pies, or maybe living life in a way that you understand if they are.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
BJ Miller
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2020

I would love to share a pie with you, John! 

Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2020

Great Friday fun thread theme @BJ Miller . OK, let's see.

1. A desire to improve oneself
  2. Honesty 
  3. Respect for others and oneself  

I think I do show a desire to improve myself. Whether it is continuing to learn from the community, learn to be more effective in my role, or improve upon my mind and body with crazy workout routines.

Thanks,

Danny

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events