Friday Fun: What should get a Netflix adaptation?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

Happy Friday Everyone!

It has been ages since I have made one of these posts and I thought it was about time you heard from me again.

While I was thinking about the best thing to post, I remembered my very first Friday Fun post: Disney Live Action Reboots: Are you for or against?

Today, that is the inspiration for my question.  When I made that post, Disney was going crazy rebooting older animated films into live action versions of them.  Today, we are seeing something similar with Netflix.

My question to you all: Is there movie or TV show you would like to see get a Netflix reboot, or is there a book, game, comic series, commercial that you would like to see get a Netflix adaptation?

Personally, I'm a big video game fan, and IGN released a nasty April Fools joke ages ago for a live action Legend of Zelda movie (you can watch that here).

I would love to see a Legend of Zelda movie (and yes I'm looking forward to the Dungeons & Dragons movie coming out next year).

How about you?  Let me know in the comments below!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

10 comments

Comment

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro July 28, 2022

Hi Buddy!

It's a great question, @Jimmy Seddon.

Something that always comes to my mind is some ten years ago; we used to see perfume commercials on TV, with nostalgic stories, precious soundtracks, and actors representing that Brand. Currently doesn't have the same purpose. It's different and without a mystery.

The pic below is about Coco Mademoiselle com Keira Knightley! 

So, I would like Netflix to do a documentary or related about it from that "era." ❤️

p.s: I like Zelda too. Please take a look at the second picture from my Office. 😃🤗

I wish a wonderful weekend for all Community! ☀️❤️🙏🏽😃

coco_mademoiselle02.jpeg

20220728_144816.jpg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

Very interesting choice @Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro!  I'd watch a documentary like that.  Also, I LOVE the picture from your office!

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro July 28, 2022

Nice to know that you'll watch it, @Jimmy Seddon! 🤩 I appreciate that! It's a beautiful picture from this INCREDIBLE game! Thank you so much for it! ❤️🙏🏽😃

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

I am usually very apprehensive of reboots and conversions.  Stuff like "Ready Player One" (it lost so much in translation, especially the D&D element, presumably removed because not everyone has played that module, or even D&D), Enders game (lost the whole point of the book), I Robot (lost all the actually clever stuff), The Prisoner (remake just didn't have anything interesting), and the less said about "Resident Evil", the better.

But it can work - Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Karl Urban going full-on gamer in Doom (shame about the rest of it), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Deadpool, etc

Anyway, with the caveat "please don't, unless you're going to get it right":

TV reboot: I could go for a rehash of Blake's Seven  (although a lot of the appeal of the original was that it was just... so.... cheap.... and I can't think of anyone who could play Kerr "I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going" Avon well enough to convince me)

Book:  Charlie Stross's Laundry series (It's "The IT Crowd" joins up with "Yes Minister" and then goes off to fight Cthulhu)

Comic:  The Ballad of Halo Jones.  Or D.R. & Quinch.  (Y'know, a kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but tactical thermonuclear weaponry is a man's best friend.)

I'm stuck on game conversions, the ones I'd suggest have mostly been done, and usually, not too well.  There's lots of material out there though. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

Nic, I can really appreciate your stance.  You are 100% correct that so many things have not been done correctly.  And I would 100% agree with your caveat!  Thank you for the detailed list of items I have things I need to go check out now.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon even though I don't have Netflix (nor do I share someone else's credentials), I would love to see a Mega Man series or motion picture. I know there was one rumored in development about 5-6 years ago, but that project seems to have been shelved. So much of my youth was spent playing and mastering Mega Man I, II and III on NES and I always loved the characters and gameplay.

That being said, I have two caveats:

1. It must be based on the original trilogy.
  2. @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- is 100% correct - do it right or don't do it at all.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

I only used Netflix as the example since they seem to be picking up everything right now.

I'm a huge Mega Man fan as well and I'd 100% watch that.  I can get behind your stipulations the early games were very good!

Like # people like this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

So with you on Zelda!

Thundercats never made it onto live action, that would be pretty cool.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Great call @Stuart Capel - London  Thundercats would be fun to see!

Like # people like this
Gabriela Costa {Appfire} July 29, 2022

If we are going with video game adaptations, I am picking Pikmin. Imagine "Captain Olimar goes to the World of Pikmin" soon on Netflix! 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2022

That sounds like it could be a really fun kids show!

Like # people like this
Dave Bor July 29, 2022

Happy Fun Friday! I'm not a huge gamer so I couldn't think of anything, but a Netflix TV series adaptation of The Fifth Element could be interesting... 

5th element.jpeg

Not sure if this counts as a reboot, but there is a really great Netflix show called Sense8 that only got 2 seasons that I would love to see return. 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

I agree Lauren! I loved the Fifth Element and Sense8! 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2022

Yes!  Doing an origin-like story on the aliens that left the elemental pillars ages ago to understand the back story could be fun!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

I'm going to to go in a different direction than anime and video games. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and I would love to see a film adaptation of the Harry Potter and The Cursed Child play! There are some articles online about a movie, but J.K. Rowling has not confirmed anything yet. 

Harry-Potter.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2022

I'm 100% on board with this!!! Yes please!

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro August 1, 2022

I agree too! ❤️

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

Alita battle angel was a movie that I enjoyed and was disappointed that it did not have a sequel.  I would enjoy it being a mini series.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2022

I never got around to seeing that one.  I guess I should check it out.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 1, 2022

I know Netflix just did a Persuasion adaptation but I want a better Persuasion adaptation. And what the heck, let's do Pride and Prejudice again. You can never have too many Austen adaptations! 

darcy.gif

Like # people like this
Dave Bor August 1, 2022

Could not agree more Monique! I'm a huge Jane Austen fan - had fun visiting the Jane Austen Center in Bath, England in June 🫖 ❤️

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 1, 2022

@Dave Bor that is on my bucket list!! I actually have a whole trip planned around seeing all the Jane Austen sites, including where she grew up and her gravesite.  It's been postponed due to Covid so not sure when I will actually get to go, but soon I hope!

Like # people like this
Dave Bor August 1, 2022

SO fun @Monique vdB !! I hope you get to plan that soon! The Jane Austen Center is definitely worth a stop, but I will warn you so you don't get the wrong expectations like I did lol "Tea with Mr Darcy" is with a (lovely) Mr Darcy portrait and NOT with an actor dressed like Mr Darcy 😆

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro August 1, 2022

I love Pride and Prejudice! ❤️

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 1, 2022

@Dave Bor hahahaa omg that sounds like such a letdown.  Did you chat to the portrait? 😂

Like # people like this
Dave Bor August 2, 2022

haha not quite, but I did take a photo with it 😂

teawdarcy.JPG

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro August 3, 2022

Awesome @Dave Bor heheeh! 😃😁

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 3, 2022

Hahah @Dave Bor I see they went straight-up Colin Firth with it. Amazing. 

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2022

A movie we do each summer up at the lake when the rains come and we duck inside the cabin to watch a show is The Book Of Eli.
I'd love to see an origin story, or a carry forward story on this one.
eli.png

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro August 3, 2022

Great @Craig Nodwell 

this movie is awesome! 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events