Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

Maarten Cautreels March 15, 2018

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes! 

I know that many Atlassians and customers are beer drinkers as well (or they were drinking it at Summit because it was free) but I was wondering what beer is your favourite? And if you don't like beer, tell us your favourite drink! 

I'm usually a big fan of hoppy beer but the beer I've scored the highest on Untappd is a Triporteur Special Roast Belgian Oak Vintage 2016 which I've tasted only once at a beer festival in Bruges. 

fa57e5cf62f53e0e6e012806114fb0c9_640x640

And for those of you wondering if beer can age the same way, it can in some cases! My second favourite was a Deus from 2002 which I drank in 2013. My father in law found it between his wine in his wine cellar. :D It was very tasty!

How about JIRA and Beer?

There are people that use JIRA as a beer inventory system. I've tried that myself but I really wanted a link with Untappd (where I keep track of what I drink and how much I score the beers) so I've created my own application: beerstash.be

27 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 15, 2018

@Maarten Cautreels I was introduced to beer on a trip to Belgium about a decade ago! (I assume you've been to the Kulminator in Antwerp?) My favorite beers are the Belgian stouts: Westvleteren, Troubadour Stout, De Struise Pannepot. I also like the geuze sour beers! But nothing hoppy. 

Maarten Cautreels March 15, 2018

Yes the Kulminator is very famous. They have a beer bible instead of a beer card :D

Troubadour definitely is on my list of favourite brewers as well! If you're ever visiting Belgium again, let me know! I'd be happy to introduce to some more beer ^^

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 15, 2018

I have been there twice, so I'm familiar with the beer bible! But I will take you up on that invitation. I think we may be going back next summer (our home base will be the Netherlands, where my family lives, but we always make time to go to Belgium!) 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2018

Great - let's meet in Bruges - it's soooo nice there 😄

I've been there two years ago.

Maarten Cautreels March 16, 2018

Beginning of February there's a beer festival each year with over 80 brewers and over 300 different beers to taste. Great experience and opportunity ;-) 

There's a similar one in Leuven in April! :D And there are smaller beer festivals all year round! 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2018

@Maarten Cautreels@Monique vdB, let's make a champions meeting in Belgium 🍻 😄

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2018

YES!

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

Ooo, I want to go to this February festival!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 16, 2018

Oh okay, twist my arm! 🥨 🍻 🇧🇪

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2018

@Maarten Cautreels, we'll have to exchange recipes. I make a lot of continental beers, particularly Belgian beer.  I'm seasoning an oak barrel that I got recently. I plan to do a wild ale with it next year.

Maarten Cautreels April 3, 2018

@dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]

Are you coming to Summit EU? If yes, we should exchange home brews! ;-)

JanR April 3, 2018

I would join as a taster... 😜

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2018

@Maarten Cautreels, unfortunately, not this year.  I'll be there in spirit, though. A trip to Belgium that is purely for fun certainly isn't out of the question, though!  

I just kegged a raspberry fruit beer. I made this recipe last year and brought it to US Summit, where it was well received. 

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
February 22, 2021

I'm working on whiskey and bourbon oak barrel beer. So far so good!

Bernabe Theodore Costales III
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2018

I actually like Japanese beers on tap - I recently discovered a place in Austin that has Kirin Ichiban on tap, and I was a happy clam.

That said, I think my favorite beer might be a root beer float. Sprecher's does a wonderful root beer suitable for a float!

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2018

If you can find Kirin that is made in Japan, it tastes nicer than the Kirin made here, IMO.  My favorite Japanese brewery is Hitachino Nest.  They are more of a craft brewer. If you find your way to the SF office, you can go to their restaurant and enjoy wagyu paired with their beers. Also keep your eye out for Ebisu (may be spelled Yebisu.) That's generally regarded as Japan's top lager beer.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2018

Ayinger Urweisse - I think it might be my favorite right now just because I have it so rarely.  But it's really tasty.  I have found wheat beers to have this strange complexity in favor and this one is no exception.  

Bridget
Community Manager
March 15, 2018

My favorite beer is Dogfish Head, 60 minute IPA (My parents live pretty close to the HQs in Delaware). 

Prost, everyone!

:) 

Like Deleted user likes this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2018

Good choice.  I was lucky enough to have the 120minute once in my life.  It came in small glass, and it was unexpectedly strong. 

Maarten Cautreels March 16, 2018

Haven't had one from Dogfish yet but I've read many good things about their beers!

Bridget
Community Manager
March 16, 2018

Whoooa @Andy Heinzer good thing you only had a small glass! 120 can hit hard. @Maarten Cautreels let me know when you get around to it :) 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

oh yes...the 60 is very nice indeed and prefer the 90! But the 120 is a special treat indeed.

Billy Cravens March 17, 2018

60 is good but heavy on the hops. 90 has a fruity syrupiness that keep me going back to it. Tried the 120; too boozy for my tastes.

Palo Santo Marron is a sinful delight: frighteningly drinkable given the 12% ABV. 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2018

I wasn't a big fan of beers initially, but the first beer that converted me was Manny's Pale Ale (Georgetown Brewing) - it's still one of my favorites! My recent favorite is Medusa's Game Face (Bare Bottle) - a red IPA with the hops aroma but not the bitterness.

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2018

I have, more than once, made the trip from the Boston area to Stowe, Vermont to get Heady Topper and other beers from The Alchemist. But living in New England, there's so many local breweries, I have three within a 10 minute drive of my house. Shout out to Jack's Abby.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2018

That's dedication to Heady Topper! It sounds kind of like the elusive Pliney the Younger.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2018

Franziskaner Weißbier. It's a Bavarian beer, quite sweet. I don't like beer that is too dry or malty. Or too dark, or whatever. I'm very choosy when it comes to beer 

Prost! 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2018

Dass es gut.   That it a good one too.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2018

When it comes to beer, it's good to have standards!

Danny Zuccaro
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2018

Lately I've been enjoying a local wheat - Muskoka Summerweis wheat. Sadly it is seasonal and not always easily found.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2018

Hard to name a "favourite", I like a lot of stuff, and what I like to drink varies by mood and what's available.

I have a really good real-ale pub with a 12 tap rotation 100 yards away, a coffee and tea importer 150 yards off,  a good brewery with an "1833" beer a mile away, a taste for gin, an ex-employer who has his own vineyard , and a brother-in-law who *really* knows wine well.  I've got a wide range.

But if you insist on a single favourite, it's a proper English answer.  Tea ( Specifically, Nilgiri on this page )

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

Nice! I need you to take me to the Coach and Horses badly. When I spent a bit of time in the UK I would go the the Crown @ Bray. Loved this place!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

Jack, if you ever head UK-wards, yell.  We can find better places, probably.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

@Maarten Cautreels Let's meet in Belgium for beer week:) 

I hope after I can say my favourite beer!)

Domagoj Zecevic March 16, 2018

I can not tell i have favorite beer. I like to try small almost home made beers.

Where i live in Germany there is brewary with restorant, and they brew own beer. I like that.

And in Croatia (where i come from) there iz Zmajsko Pivo (in translation Dragon's Beer).

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2018

Dragon's Beer! I want to try this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

It sounds like it would go well with a Dragon Slayer quest!

Domagoj Zecevic March 21, 2018

Guys that open Dragon's Brewary (Zmajska Pivovara) are IT guys, who decided not to work in IT more, rather to brew beer...

How can it go wrong :)

poornima kirubakaran March 16, 2018

My favorite is Bira 'Imagined in India'. :D Here, we get seasonal fruit beer in breweries, which is always special.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

My favorite is general my next... ;-)

There is nothing wrong w/ a good Duff beer either! DOH!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 16, 2018

:)

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 7.40.07 PM.png

JanR March 16, 2018

I have no favorite beer: Different occasions, seasons, food demand for different beers. I would go for a light citrus tasting beer in summer, but just now (Snowing outside in Germany) I just opened a Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, strong malty tasty with lots of rpm...

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 16, 2018

@JanR Germany! Well, you'll have to join our Belgian beer meetup, then! 😃

JanR March 17, 2018

Belgian monastery’s beers are outstanding, but hard to get over here. A friend invited me to a Belgian beer tasting & brought some bottles of a beer one can only buy directly at the monastery. Delicious! But I skip on Belgian beers with fruit taste 😜

Billy Cravens March 17, 2018

I prefer Belgian quads or double IPAs. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2018

I like this one, personally :)

IMG_1452.jpg

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 30, 2018

@Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]we have one bottle of this left at our house....

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2018

#TFTI !!! Nice. I did a vertical of 2014, 2015 and 2016 last year and it was pretty amazing to see the difference between the years.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

I thought TFTI was some weird variation of TGIF and it took me about five minutes before I realized what you were saying. #brainnotworkingitsfriday

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 30, 2018

How embarrassing for you, Heather. It obviously means Terrific Factoid Today Interesting.  Everyone knows that.

(I don't know what it means either) 

And Dave, so jealous! I think ours is from 2010. They get so sweet as they age. I feel like five years is the peak aging time though. What did you find?

And have you tried De Struisse Pannepot? Really comparable!

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

"Thanks for the Info" (I had to google it)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 30, 2018

Thanks for looking that up! Terrific Factoid Today Interesting! 🤣

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2018

I was referring to the Instagram variant "Thanks For The Invite." :P I guess I should put my phone down.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 30, 2018

Hahahaha well you can try some of mine if I can try all of yours! 

I'm working from home today so I just ran in to take a picture of my kitchen. You can see my Westvleteren crate and the official glasses, if you look closely enough. My husband also made some fridge magnets out of the bottlecaps. We're fans!

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 2.09.35 PM.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2018

I'm kegging a fruit beer tonight. It's German Pilsner/Wheat/Rye grist with fresh raspberries and fermented with (US) East Coast Ale yeast to give a little extra tartness, bittered with Sterling hops for a bit of spicy finish to compliment the rye. ABV 4.2% IBU 14

IMG_4700.jpg

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2018

That really looks like a great installation! Do let me know if you're visiting Belgium! ;-)

Our most recent brew is a herb beer with sage, thyme and rosemary. The one before was with chestnut, which was very very good!

Deleted user March 19, 2018

Veil Brewing in Richmond, VA has a new-England style IPA called Master Master Shredder Shredder. It's amazing. The master brewer studied under the team that brews Headdy Topper from Vermont, considered to be one of the finest beers made.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
March 30, 2018

@[deleted] Is Headdy Topper a hoppy beer? 

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

... Okay I might have to try Master Master Shredder Shredder just for the name.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

I'm not a huge beer fan by any means, but I try a new one from time to time. I tend to lean towards what my dad calls "fake beer"... ciders and mike's hard lemonades. Any suggestions?

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2018

You might try some sour beers. There are a lot of different styles and varying levels of tartness.  I prefer the "funky" ones, myself. Many are just tart without funkiness, though.  Most are generally not very bitter, due to the fermentation process, as well. It's sort of the wine drinker's beer.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

I'll have to ask someone to pick a few sour beers out for me over the weekend then.

hearsay April 8, 2018

Dos Equis Amber

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

Really hard to pick just one beer so please indulge me as I choose beers starting locally and ending globally.

• Dallas/Fort Worth  - Though there are a lot of good breweries in this area, my favorite brew is the Billy Jenkins (Bock) from Wild Acre in Fort Worth
  • Texas - Ziegenbock
  • Domestic (US) - The Maharaja from Avery Brewing Co.
  • Worldwide - Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner

Don't get me started on favorite whisky/whiskey.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

There's a beer called Ziegenbock in Texas? That's funny, Ziegenbock is German for Billy Goat :-)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

Yep! Texas' roots are firmly set from German settlers so you see lots of German influence: architecture, sausages, smoked meats and of course beer!

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2018

Loads of German heritage in Texas.

The town of Fredericksburg was founded by German immigrants and during the holiday season the town lights a large Christmas Pyramid that was shipped over from Germany.

You will also find a lot of German influence in Tejano music which is popular with Hispanics in Texas.

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

My favorite beer Corona.

Cheers

Corona.jpg

Anthony Stonehouse
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2019

After many tastings while traveling through Belgium my favourite Trappist beer is Achel Bruin.

It's hard to find (and expensive) in Australia, so my top 3 locally brewed beers are:

• Feral Hop Hog
  • Pirate Life Pale Ale
  • Grifter Pale Ale
Like Jonny Adams likes this
Jay July 29, 2019

Hahn Ultra Crisp or if I want to go dark Monteiths Black Beer....

Deleted user September 5, 2019
Maeve Abla October 28, 2019

Another beer lover here. Though I drank Guinness the most, when I came through belgian beers it was a kind surprise, the white beer of Bruges was then the one to drink any time, it's light, good taste and playing

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

My favorite beer is Hoegaarden which is a Belgium Wit Beer.  It also has some history in Austin, Texas which is where I currently live!  The Austin version of the beer is Celis White, but they recently went bankrupt :(

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events