Friday Fun: What's the last series you binged (either watching or reading) and why?

Karina Mikhli January 2, 2020

Happy New Year all!

Since I binge watched most of the first season of Outlander over New Year's eve and day, this seemed a good topic choice :). 

Although the characters and story were very interesting, and I wanted to find out what happens, especially between two of the characters, I've decided not to continue watching past season one since it's a bit too bloody and violent for my current taste.

I look forward to hearing about all your recent binges.

62 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2020

Wow I picked the right time to login to the community while still on vacation!  This is a fantastic question!  I have been on vacation since the 19th of December so I did a lot of binge watching over the holidays. 

My wife and I also decided to gift Disney+ to ourselves for the holidays and I have loved it so far!  There are two shows I have been binge watching and I highly recommend them to everyone:

The World According to Jeff Goldblum - If you enjoy listening to Jeff Goldblum talk about random topics for 30 minutes an episode, you will love this show!

The_World_According_to_Jeff_Goldblum_titlecard

The Mandalorian - This is a must for all Star wars fans!  It's written and created by Jon Favreau and so far it has been an awesome series!

Mandalorian-1200x520

Like # people like this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2020

haven't checked out the The World According to Jeff Goldblum yet, but thanks for the recommendation, cant wait to hear Jeff do his constant "ra ha,  ra haha ha, yes, noo no no yeas no, ra ha"  commentary while he tries to explain things

but The Mandalorian..... oh yeah, I have binge watched it several times now, I basically put it on for background noise now, cannot recomend it enough :) 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2020

Noted your words, starting The Mandalorian right now. 

May the Force be with me :-D

Like # people like this
MichaelD
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

Yes! The Mandalorian is so good!

Gives me hope for the Star Wars universe! :)

Much needed after watching Star Wars:RoS :(

Like Lenin Raj likes this
Mariah S
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2020

Yes - The Mandalorian - so so so good!

Like Lenin Raj likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 2, 2020

My holiday binge-watching was mostly reality competition shows that are great to have on in the background while addressing holiday cards or wrapping gifts: Blown Away (glass-blowing competition), Wrap Battle (giftwrapping competition) and Making It (crafting competition).  

Also, we saw the new Little Women over the holidays and my husband (who has never read the book) got obsessed, and we ended up watching three different adaptations in two days. (I prefer the 1949 version, he loved the 1994 version.) 

Great topic @Karina Mikhli !!!

Like # people like this

I haven't seen a Little Women movie in a while. Will definitely have to check out the latest one!

Like # people like this
Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2020

I loved Blown Away. So talented!

Like Karina Mikhli likes this
Veronica_Zale April 4, 2020

Finally Money Heist on Netflix. Binged the entire season. now desperately waiting for the new one. watchseriesonline

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

My wife and I do pretty nothing but binge-watch. Other than Netflix or Amazon originals, we don't have access to big series, so we wait until the dvd box set is available at local libraries (or available for free online). So we didn't even watch GoT until just before the last season aired ... then binged the whole thing and finished with a 1 week free trial of HBO to watch the finale.

So, In the last 4-6 weeks, we've watched

• Preacher Season 4
  • Magician Season 4
  • The Witcher
  • All seasons of The Americans

Next up... The Man in the High Castle. We watched the first season a couple of years ago... but fresh off finishing the book, we'll restart from the beginning.

Series I'm sorry to be missing out on right now: Mandalorian, The Watchmen, His Dark Materials.

Like # people like this

My husband and I watched The Witcher too, but we limited it to two episodes at a time since it was too intense.

I've never watched GoT. Maybe I should try it... And I started Magician but gave up :(

Like # people like this
Brett Coster January 2, 2020

The Americans is sooo undervalued. Amazing show.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

I think I'm going to have to watch The Witcher next, it looked interesting but now it sounds amazing!

Like # people like this
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

I was a fan of the books that The Witcher is based on ... never played the game. I was relatively happy with it. My wife (also fan of the books) was a little disappointed as far as the faithfulness of the adaptation. I disagree with her. I think it was very well done.

Like # people like this

Played Witcher on PC - loved it.

Hope the series lives up to the hype.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

I was planing to watch The Witcher next but have delayed the plan because I do not like waiting for the next season.

With Game of Thrones, waiting for each season for a year was too much. So with witcher, I am planning for atleast 2-3 seasons to be available!

Mandy Ross
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 3, 2020

My hub, son and I all binged the Witcher on New Years day and I enjoyed it a lot tho I was confused by the rapidly switching timelines at first. Henry Cavill is really good at a dark character like that!

Like # people like this
Karina Mikhli January 4, 2020

@Mandy Ross yeah, the switching timelines was confusing.

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Hubster and I have just finished The Witcher, he's a gamer and I'm really not, so I had to put up with him pointing out everything that they either did well, or wasn't in-keeping with the game!

Good Omens was amazing! Watching the whole thing in one go was a great way to spend a day!

We're in the middle of His Dark Materials. I read the books when they came out, lost them, then re-purchased them last year and re-read them. I'm pleased to say that the series is closer to the books than the original film (which, was, IMHO, dire!)

I'm impatiently waiting at the moment for the new Terry Pratchett series The Watch to come out, although it's inspired by and not based in Discworld, so we'll have to wait and see what happens there!

Like # people like this
Valerie Palmer January 2, 2020

I watched both seasons of You on Netflix.  It was disturbing but wonderful at the same time.

Like # people like this
scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

Hmmmm... Just finished Game of Thrones a few weeks ago, then watched the first 6 episodes of The Mandalorian on Disney+.

Like # people like this
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2020

I enjoyed "Will"  on season 2 as well!

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Adrian Bienias
Atlassian Team
January 8, 2020

Good piece of entertainment, it reminds me "Dexter" a little.

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
January 2, 2020

So over the break I was looking for a new exercise video. I randomly stumbled upon this series called "The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp." I figured it would be a difficult workout but it's actually a reality series. It was filmed in Vancouver in 2007. Politically the writing did not age well, and it seems a LOT older than 12+ years. Ironically I ended up watching it for about 3 hours before finally getting to the workout. 

It's great for a good laugh and for highlighting everything that's wrong with weight-loss/makeover/transformation reality shows. 

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
January 2, 2020

that's amazing, @Kate Clavet! nothing like a good TV show for procrastination

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2020

I have just finished watching most of Suits - only to discover Netflix NZ does not have all the episodes! *cries*

Last night I started and watched 4+ episodes of The Circle on Netflix. I like the premise of this reality show as it does not seem cruel or to be taking advantage of people. They are just willingly being recorded in an odd situation.

Like # people like this
Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
January 2, 2020

Time to utilize a VPN for evil? ;) (kidding, kidding)

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2020

I'll just complain to hubby then the local content problem will go away. :) #ItsMagic #PlausibleDeniability

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

Recently I binged on The Expanse and Undone.  Also Russian Doll, not that long ago.  All highly recommended.

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

I have been having a lot of fun with a combination of Netflix and the free time over the holidays. I binge watched The Witcher and now I am searching for another series.

Any recommendations welcome 🙏 

Like # people like this

If you liked the Witcher, have you watched Once Upon a Time or The Shannara Chronicles? I loved both.

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2020

I will check them out, thanks @Karina Mikhli 

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

It was Brooklyn 99 recently. Now I'm waiting like a child the sixth season.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2020

NINE NINE ! ! 
Same here....! 😜 Can't wait to Binge watch season six!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2020

I don't think Andy Samberg  is acting when playing Jake Peralta.  I think that's just who he naturally is :D

Like Danny likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2020

Brooklyn 99 was written for Andy to go nuts with. 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
January 2, 2020

Ooo! the last two things I've binged through were the latest seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Masiel and Schitt's Creek. I highly recommend both! They're both funny, with great zingers, and have heart-warming storylines with a bit of turbulence within it. 10/10 would recommend both!

Like # people like this
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2020

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is great! I need to watch (binge) the new season.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2020

My last two binge-worthy series were Suits and Blacklist, gratefully I am all caught up, as once a new season appears on Netflix the bingeing begins :) 

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2020

I love Suits!

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2020

I watch The Blacklist just for James Spader.

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2020

The Blacklist is the best soap opera I've seen, outside of Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5.

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

Utterly in love with Suits too! We're not allowed to watch a season until they're all on there, same with Vikings (much to my disgruntlement). I recently discovered (before Christmas) 14 seasons of NCIS on Amazon Prime, so I'm currently on S8:E20 (although I do skip ones I've seen & remember)!

I really want to watch The Witcher and The Blacklist (love James Spader, especially in Boston Legal). 

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2020

F I N A L   S P A C E !

It is blooming marvellous and I love it. 💖

I do a damn good impression of Mooncake (love! 💙) which naturally means people dislike me when I do it, especially those who do not know of Final Space; which seems to be everyone I do Mooncake around. Odd coincidence!

Mooncake.gif

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2020

You would make a good “The Gary” Andy 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2020

FREY and MCGREY !! 📚 🤓

I've mentioned this before on community and I'll mention it again!!

When it comes to R-E-A-D-I-N-G, it's all about my favourite 19th century high-brow Englishman and uncouth Scotsman detective duo!!

Oscar de Muriel is a bloody BRILLIANT writer! 

http://www.oscardemuriel.com/

I haven't binged on his books as a series, because I read each one the moment they come out.... but when I do read them, each one gets binged in a matter of days! Amazaballz!

His fifth book The Darker Arts just takes the whole series to a completely new level...! 🤯😲

OscardeMuriel.jpg

Like # people like this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
January 3, 2020

this is great! I just finished binge reading Vivian Shaw's Strange Practice trilogy, this looks right up my alley! 

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2020

Ooh! Nice one @Mandy Ross .... haven't heard of Shaw before!!

Currently binge watching The Expanse. Great sci-fi where the science does not feel too far in the future. Now into season 2, but progressing quickly.

Once done, it will be the most recent season of Ray Donovan.

Like # people like this
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

The Expanse and Ray Donovan are also on my list (amongst so many others).

Breezy.SYNOGROUND January 2, 2020

I watched the Witcher over the Holidays!  I've not played the video game, so I can't say how similar it is, but the episodes do a nice job of explaining the backstory and it gets to you the present nicely - good continuity and very interesting.  Recommend!

Like # people like this

I hadn't read or played the game either.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

I just completed 2 seasons of the series "The Good Doctor" and continuing with the current season (season 3).

Its a really good series available on Prime Video.

Planning to watch the Witcher next.

Like # people like this
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2020

Ooh i forgot Community, if you want fun go watch this serie (the 4 first season)

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2020

OOO I forgot about Community! That's such a funny show, I haven't watched it in years though!

Like Mohamed Benziane likes this
Carla_Cox January 3, 2020

The last binged watch I did was Black Mirror on Netflix and two nights ago Inside Bill's Brain (also Netflix).

Why?

Black Mirror: I'm into sci-fi, but it kind of branches off into Singularity-based series and movies. If you are into this topic and you really loved the movie Interestellar, you will love this series. The best part about it is the episodes, though loosely connected, are not sequential. So you never feel "attached" to watching everything from season 1, then 2 etc. You can watch any episode as each encapsulates a story of its own with a  very distinctive plot. Also, if you are into the same things I am, what would you suggest me watch next? I'm afraid of watching other things that are not as good and would have wasted a precious hour of my time lol

Inside Bill's Brain: I have always been curious about why certain people do or think about certain things, especially the genius mind. So This documentary series really opened up my eyes not really about what's inside Bill Gates mind but what very powerful people think about and can do to change the world. It is very inspiring to watch this series and you learn a lot about subjects that are critical these days to know about.

bm image friday fun jira.jpg

bg image friday fun jira.jpg

Like # people like this
Karina Mikhli January 3, 2020

I don't usually watch documentaries but that does sound interesting. 

Like Carla_Cox likes this
Carla_Cox January 3, 2020

I have this feeling you will love it! Also, you'll learn a side of Bill Gates that not many people knows about, including myself

Karina Mikhli January 3, 2020

@Carla_Cox I'm going to add this to my list now!

Like Carla_Cox likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

I agree, Black Mirror was really good :)

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2020

Is binge boardgame playing also OK? 

We played "Legends of Andor" on Christmas day. The story of the game is split into "Legends" and we played the first four, one after the other, took about eight hours or so...

But we also watch "House of Cards" at the moment - we nearly reached the end of season four. 

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2020

I was disappointed with the last season of House of Cards. It used to be so good in earlier seasons!

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2020

Currently hooked on Witcher and Fauda on Netflix.

Watching two episodes back to back is a binge for me.

Also finding Marvelous  Mrs Masiel addictive.

Looking forward to second series of Lost in Space.

Like # people like this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
January 3, 2020

Before the break I finished binge watching Jane the Virgin, which was such a funny, heartwarming show. it's basically a telenovela satire in a sitcom. growing up in southern california when I was a little tiny kid, I would tune into the telenovelas and even tho I didn't speak spanish then, I loved watching all the drama and dresses and kissing!

I just started Russian Doll - love Natasha Lyonne!

The Witcher is great too, which was a family binge on new years day.

I'm also obsessed with procedural crime dramas like NCIS, Criminal Minds, CSI, Bull, etc. so I always binge a new season when they come out on prime or netflix. 

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Toss a coin to your Witcher!

Like # people like this
Ben Poulson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2020

I'll give a shout out to Jacques McKeown series (Will save the galaxy for food and Will destroy the galaxy for cash). They're super fun sci-fi comedy books about a stereotypical planet saving space pilot after teleportation technology makes him obsolete. They're written by Yahtzee Croshaw (same guy who does the Zero Punctuation series on youtube, if you're familiar with that. Fair warning, zero punctuation is hysterically funny, but very, very NSFW). I've been listening to them on Audible (I'm a couple hrs away from finishing the second book). Highly, highly recommended. And the audiobooks are read by the author, which is always a plus.

Like # people like this
Ben Poulson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2020

Another recomendation I just thought of: For All Mankind on Apple TV+. If you're into history and alt history stuff, you will absolutely love this show. The premise is "What if the Soviet Union was first to put a man on the moon?" and how the space race continues and escalates from there. If you're a history/politics person, I absolutely cannot recommend this highly enough. Seeing the butterfly effect of the continuing space race on stuff like Watergate and the ERA is fascinating. There's only 1 season out at the moment, but its been renewed for season 2. This is seriously one of the best shows on right now. I absolutely adore it.

Like # people like this
Chris Cooke Old Street Apps
Marketplace Partner
January 4, 2020
Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 4, 2020

😮😆

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2020

I see the expertsexchange.com domain is up for sale!

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

🤯

Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
January 5, 2020

Happy New Year! 

The Spy on Netflix has to be one of my favorite series ever I binge-watched on Netflix recently.

I love watching movies/series based on real-life (not sure if this genre has a name)- then frantically googling more about it. 

The Spy, The Devil Next Door and When they see us are few series which made a mark for me in 2019. 

I can be very impatient, so everything I watch is binge-watched :P

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events