Friday Fun: What's one book/article/tutorial you thought about writing/recording and why?

Carla_Cox January 10, 2020

By the way sorry Sydney folks, I should have paid attention to do it in everyone's time zone! It's still 45 minutes left of your Friday! :)

So, to get this topic going: I had this sci-fi book idea about robots taking over the world (nothing new here) and realizing later on that their ultimate invention turns out to be a human

In a very random scale sometimes I think about writing an article such as "random ideas that get the work done" (example, washing your face with toothpaste to wake you up lol)...

What's your random or serious idea that you think would be super cool to write about whether in a book/article or doing a DIY tutorial kinda thing?

19 comments

Comment

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

Great thread @Carla_Cox !

I had this book idea of a software which can delete and rewrite parts of human memory.

Some people would be using it to delete some bad memories, some would be using it to create fictional good memories.

There can be numerous permutations and combination of what people will do if such a software becomes a reality.

Like # people like this

I like that book idea! The movie "Eternal Sunshine" with Jim Carry kind of has a similar plot. Also, an episode in the series Black Mirror references the what-if of a software that would define people experiences and the way reality is projected. I gotta check the title, then will let you know!

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

Oooo I've thought about something like this...If I could delete any set of memories, it wouldn't be bad ones! I would want to delete Harry Potter from my brain so that I could read the series for the first time again. :)

Like # people like this
David Willson January 10, 2020

A tangent but seeming related in my brain, such a good read for nerdy types that like the idea of code impacting reality - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18616975-off-to-be-the-wizard

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

The closer scientists get to the Singularity the closer you get to having some real research material to get you started!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/scientists-experiment-with-reworking-memory-in-mice-1409158818

Joseph Sulewski January 10, 2020

Very 90's William Gibson/cyberpunk.  Which is a good thing.

Like # people like this
Joseph Sulewski January 10, 2020

I have a hankering to go watch Max Headroom now. ;)

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2020

There was an episode somewhat like this on the Netflix show Black Mirror.  All the characters in the episode had implants that could store and delete memories.  It was kind of cool but freaky episode.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

Wow! already got so much ideas where to take inspiration for the book :-D

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

What if you already succeeded, but to avoid paying you royalties the company you were working for simply deleted any knowledge you have of ever following through with that invention.  Your fail safe was to keep a hidden memory to always link to back to the initial thought to create it.... ok I'm going to stop here, it's your story not mine ;)

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon

This one was Epic!!

You are that "fail safe" and now I will need more of your inputs :-D

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2020

I really want to co-write a book with my dad!

He was an accountant, so growing up he's given me so much advice about money. I think it'd be really fun to write a book for young adults sharing some of his lessons and the stories of how I dealt with them growing up.

Even now, a few years into my career, I still text him with new questions all the time.

Like # people like this

Samie, I am not that young anymore, but would definitely read/listen to that book! That's just about all I read these days lol I love learning about people's inspiring stories :) 

My fiance and I want to write a book, we are thinking of setting up a free confluence space as the platform. :) Maybe your dad is techie enough?

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

I don't have anything I specifically want to write about but it reminded me of this tweet which is relevant to the prompt, funny, and motivational: 

https://twitter.com/loudblkgrl/status/1210960179740569600

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.56.41 AM.png

Like # people like this

I'm happy this post exists. ROFL.

Like Scott Theus likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

That really seems to speak to the statement "There are no stupid questions, if you thought of it chances are someone else is thinking it too."

In this case four hundred and ten thousand others.

Like Peter Domankus likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

I love reading sci-fi and fantasy novels, and I am a huge fan of Rush. So...

When I was in college back in the early '90s I started writing a book loosely based on the lyrics from part one of "The Necromancer" from Caress of Steel."  

Here are the lyrics:

As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky,
the three travelers, men of Willowdale,
emerge from the forest shadow.
Fording the River Dawn, they turn south, journeying
into the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer.
Even now the intensity of his dread power can be felt,
weakening the body and saddening the heart.
Ultimately they will become empty, mindless spectres;
stripped of will and soul,
only their thirst for freedom
gives them hunger for vengeance...

I had a prologue and a rough outline of the story, bullet pointed character traits and story timelines, etc. I even ran a D&D campaign based on it back in the day.

I cringed hard when I last read what I wrote; it was full of blatant misogyny, sexism, and monochromatic characters. Sure it was typical of what many authors in those genres were producing in the late 1970's and '80's when I was growing up and since I was almost never without a book in my hand I'm sure that's what influenced the story, but man was it awful. 

Oddly I still think the story has potential, so I may pick it up again sometime. 

After I learn how to write. 

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2020

I’m heartbroken today. I have been listening to Rush all day at work, and this post brought up some happy memories from my teenage years. I had Caress of Steel  on al the way home. 

It wasn’t until I got home and turned on the news that I heard that Neal Pearl had passed away. He was a brilliant writer and lyricist, pulled himself up from the depths of despair after losing his wife and daughter in 1997, and continued to bring happiness to the World through his music. 

Rest In Peace, Neal, Selena and Jackie are waiting for you.

Just an escape artist
Racing against the night
A wandering hermit
Racing toward the light

-Ghost Rider, Neal Peart

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

I am with you, Scott. Best drummer on the planet. This one is hard to swallow...

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2020

I've long had the idea to write an article (series) here on the Community about Atlassian apps from different vendors that synergize well and are unexpectedly more useful together than alone. I didn't find the time do it yet so I'm not gonna spoil any of them right now... But let me just say it's super satisfying that two of the apps you might've already installed on your instance actually go together like peanut butter and jelly! Hope I can get around to actually writing it soon. :)

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2020

Check out Communardo's "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Atlassian App-Galaxy" for inspiration. @Florian Zöllner [Communardo] may be able to help getting a copy to you or you can pick one up at Summit.

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2020

I really want to write about some of the Agile practices I learned from the military.  I believe a lot of the SAFe hierarchy aligns really close to the organizational structure in the Army.  One day I will write an article in the Agile portion of the community!

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2020

Truly interesting. Can you share an example of a military agile practice that can be adopted in the agile software world?

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 12, 2020

There are a ton of things that I will save for the eventually article but one of them is the military's After Action Review (AAR) which is real similar to a sprint retrospective meeting. After every mission in the Army we used to conduct an AAR to discuss parts that went well, parts that went poorly, and things we would like to improve on as an organization.  One of the goals of the AAR was to ensure feedback was open and received from all echelons of rank and authority.  We began each AAR by restating the mission so everyone knew what our goal was for the mission. 

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Tim Keyes I would also like to read your memoirs someday about your military experiences.

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Tim Keyes I'd like to read them, too!

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2020

Telling stories about ancient Indian history (some call is mythology) is my calling. May be someday, I will share them all.

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2020

Can you share a short one with us here? :D

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2020

@Fernando Bordallo  May be not the right place, tell me when you are in India. :-)

Oh! Also some authors like Amish Tripathi are doing great job - https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=amish+tripathi

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 12, 2020

Looking ;)

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2020

I used to be really into poetry and was a seasoned poem writer for a while. It crossed my mind to put them together into a neat little book and keep at it 🤔but that was a good while back. Who knows. Maybe some day

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2020

I'm sure you may find a time in your life that is right for it. Maybe not now, maybe when you retire, look at Story Musgrave. 

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2020

I've been kicking around the idea for a while now on an Unofficial Guide to Jira Align because AgileCraft had such an interesting origin and Jira Align is a very powerful platform that isn't being used as the transformation platform it is capable of being.

I've also been kicking around the idea of writing a book on my "Trust and Verify" approach to coaching executives on shifting from a command-and-control mindset (that many don't realize they have) to a true servant leader mindset (that many think they have, but don't). The book would be focused on shifting their mindset (the trust part) using feedback loops provided by Jira Align (the verify part). Ideally, the executive's organization would be committed to implementing the Scaled Agile Framework's latest version (SAFe 5.0), which has major focus on mindset, servant-leadership, and other critical success factors.

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 12, 2020

I really enjoyed reading (audio Book): It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy, Book by Michael Abrashoff and Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink & Leif Babin.

I find servant leadership to be an exciting topic and can see how real time reporting can facilitate a trust but verify framework.

Like # people like this
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
January 12, 2020

I sometimes write for my LinkedIn profile and the topics I usually prefer covering topics surrounding 'Struggles of a young Tech marketer without any technical background'. 

I think there are a lot of stories about how people made it in life and then they recap to their past and talk about how everything worked out. I love reading those articles, but I can't relate to them because I put successful people on a pedestal and I feel like what they've achieved will take ages. 

So I want to cover my journey in the present, not knowing where it will take me. I write for myself and young tech marketers who're still finding their place. More like, we're all in it together :P 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

Poorvi, as a young tech marketer without a technical background, I'm going to have to follow you on LinkedIn to see those articles. ;) 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

This is a great topic!  I really enjoy sharing what I know (part of why I got involved in the Atlassian Community in the first place).

I'm also an avid gamer and I have always wanted to do some sort of tutorial, I know exactly what I would cover I've just never gotten around to doing it.

Maybe I'll make more of an effort in 2020.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

Great idea @Jimmy Seddon .

Which games you are playing these days?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

I have a few friends playing Destiny 2, I only play for the social aspect of being able to chat with them online while we are doing things together.

If I were to write any sort of tutorial, it would likely be for a Pokemon-style game where there isn't a single correct way to beat the game.

That way someone might be able to incorporate some of what I have recommended into their own play-style.

Right now, I'm just not sure I can afford the time to jump into Sword and Shield :D

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2020

If you write any such tutorial, remember I want to read it :-)

By the way, I play pubg and that only for the social aspect of being able to talk/ chat with my friends who play the same game :-D

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
January 13, 2020
Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

This looks good! Have you tried out the Trello article before?

Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

In November every year, NaNoWriMo encourages people to have a go at writing a novel. One year I signed up and attempted (failed) to write a sci-fi novel in the style of Douglas Adams.

Wait, NaNoWri-what?

(Inter)National Novel Writing Month.

Really.

Yes. You should totally do it next November. Or right now.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2020

We have DB Dev in our office that participates in that event annually.

Carla_Cox February 11, 2020

Oooh, that sounds like an awesome challenge.. this 2020 I'll try! Remind me in October though XD

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

Funny, I was recently thinking about this. My family is Salvadoran and my mom knew tons of recipe's that were passed down from her mother, but unfortunately my mom passed away in 2014 due to cancer. Everyone that tasted her food, loved it. Unfortunately, we never recorded any recipes and we only have a few that my sister remembers how to make. I wish I could've recorded all her recipes and put them in a book to pass down to my kids. She made the best pupusas. If you've never tried them, I recommend them. :-)

Image result for pupusas

Like # people like this
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2020

@edwin vasquez,

I'm in a similar boat. My parents are both from Germany. In fact, they met on the ship sailing over in 1960. My brothers and I grew up in our parents' German delicatessen. at least on weekends and summers. My mom had literally hundreds of recipes for salads and all sort of dishes. I've been trying for years to get her to start writing them down to no avail. My father died in 200 and my mom had a stroke that affected her memory in 2017, so many of those recipes may be lost as well.

Regards,
Peter

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
January 14, 2020

Recipes are a great way to share traditions -- not to mention cooking can be fun, especially with other people. Maybe there are some other family members who have the recipe? I recovered a recipe for rolls pretty recently through an aunt who knew how to make them.

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Emily, I expect rolls at the next team meeting :)

Oh that looks too delicious! and I'm just getting off work starving. No fair! :P

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2020

@Emily Koch I have some great memories of cooking with my grandparents. My grandmother on my mom's side made "Fasnachtsküchle" on Fat Tuesday when I was growing up, using a recipe that was passed down for  generations. When I was learning how to bake bread she wrote it down for me and helped convert the measurements from things like "a double handful of flour" to approximate weights and measures.  

On my father's side my grandmother taught me how to make her potica bread, also a recipe passed down from "the old country" as she called it, and also without precise measurements. 

Then, in 2015, my mom went though her shoe-box full of recipes, gathered as many family recipes as she could, typed them all out, and printed them in binders for family members. There's probably 150 recipes, some modern favorites and some passed down, and all of them preserved and shared with the family. 

I am a very lucky guy :)

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

What's one book/article/tutorial you thought about writing/recording and why?

=> I am from India every year, Lakhs(Few hundred thousand) of Engineers graduate but not all the Engineers who graduate are employable. And the current problem is they are only Trained to score good grades on the exams and not training them on the skills to acquire a Good job matching with their engineering stream. 

=> As a result, most of the Engineering graduate or either un-employed or under-employed. 

=> I wanted to write an article or a small book on how to become an Employable Engineer on your own. 

-Sri

CC: @Carla_Cox 

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hey Sri,

That is an interesting concept you shared.  A lot of people believe degrees = jobs but that clearly is not always the case.  I bet you writing an article/ book would a ton of value to a lot of people!  

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2020

Thank you @Tim Keyes   will make some time in future 🙂👍

I love the idea! it's such a global problem, to prepare engineers for the challenges in the workforce. We come out of college truly unequipped for what we face. What's interesting is the first year as an engineer professional I was eager to learn how I can be a great engineer, not just do my work... I couldn't find many books on the subject, only a few titles, one of which I bought "The Making of an Expert Engineer", and I realized that a lot goes down to personality, to do the right thing instead of what's simple, to communicate effectively... so many soft traits make up a competitive engineer, instead of grades or a couple internships under their wing. Anyhow, I love the topic and I truly hope you decide to write it! It will inspire many people :) 

Muhammad Zeeshan
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

As children, my siblings and I used to act out stories or have small adventures. Would love to write a children's book with multiple short stories based on that. And definitely, add all the illustrations myself :)

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
January 14, 2020

I'd love to compile a cookbook of family recipes! My dad's side of the family comes from the South, so there are some great comfort food recipes. My Mom's side is from Mexico, so put together, the book would definitely be a mix of things, but I like the idea of archiving these things so I can make them myself and so they can be passed on.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2020

That is a really great idea!  Something I should think about myself.

Like # people like this

I love recipes... I love cooking when I get some free time, and normally my spot is Pinterest, but only because it's practical. I also LOVE southern cooking, my husband's family is from the south too, and they make some amazing dishes. Mexican is our all-time favorite restaurant idea when we go out as a family.... I just love food! :D

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

I am fortunate to actually be a published author. I published a children's pop-up book that turns into a playground for their small animals (hamsters, mice, etc.). It has been selling on Amazon for a while now.

pop.png

https://www.amazon.com/Multipet-Pop-Playland-Pet-Playground/dp/B0171KXLF2

Here is a link to our Kickstarter campaign video from several years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOvFTJEc-n0

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

I am impressed @Shawn Kessler 

Back in forth grade I built a maze for my gerbils and did time trials with cheese to see if it helped them finish the maze faster. The results of my tests were inconclusive if I remember correctly.

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

@Tim Keyes your pal Scott Blacker is also co-owner of the patent for this product.

wow! When I started this thread, I knew many of you were going to come up with the "seen it and done it" type of story, and I'm so happy to read that. It helps us, the audience who dreams about it, fuel up to DO IT :)

Aside from that, I love the convertible book-toy you designed. I can really get my kids one to support your business and expand their imagination. It's one of those things I would see in a Shark Tank episode!

Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

I always wanted to write a book on corporate content organization, specifically in Confluence. After organizing the docs for a few large departments, there are a lot of tips and tricks I have for making documentation intuitive and easy to find. Plus, it's a lot of fun!

Like Carla_Cox likes this

my org could REALLY use that book TODAY! :D 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events