Friday Fun: What are you working on?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

Happy Friday Everyone!

It's been a while since I have been back posting a Friday fun topic for all of you.  In Canada, we are in the middle of the summer months.  This is usually a perfect time to do some renovation projects around the house, work in the garden or take some vacation time to enjoy hobbies.

My question for all of you this week is: What are you working on?  Maybe "work" is the wrong word.  You might be working through a really good book, or binge watching a series on one of many streaming platforms.  Or maybe you are just planning your next big trip.

Let me know in the comments what is occupying your free time!

For me:

• I'm working on a few things right now.  I have joined CodeGeist 2021 so I'm working my way through that as a development project
  • I've also been working on preparing our nursery for it's second use in December
  • Finally, I'm working with some friends on writing the content for a custom Dungeons & Dragons session.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

11 comments

Comment

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

I was working on planning a last summer hurrah this weekend and then things got bad fast around here (FL) so I am staying home. Will probably look for something to binge on a streaming service, maybe do some egging. Smoked a meatloaf last week, that was pretty awesome.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

Sorry to hear that things have forced you to stay at home.  However, it sounds like you have some great things going on at home!

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon - I'm working on getting my first Pro Skill Badge!

The biggest part of this challenge? Carving out time to study and take the exam. 🔥

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

Which one are you working on @Dave Liao?  I'm the crazy type, last Sunday, I scheduled my exam for this morning.  That forced me to make the time to study ;)

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon - since it's a Skills Badge (versus a full-blown cert exam), you can take the test whenever you see fit. I'm working on the issue security one, which I should be able to do without studying. Of course, we all know that we're tested on Atlassian's canonical way of doing things, not always actual "in the trenches" experience. 😉

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

Sorry I should have mentioned that I did the APB-220 which is a proctored pro skill badge.

I guess in your case it's about finding dedicated time to "just get it done".

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

I can't even schedule the test. But I think there's a weird scheduling thing I can't figure out.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

Figured it out, and passed the test! I think

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
July 30, 2021

Its winter here, but this tends to be my busiest time. In particular, preparing the garden for spring, general house repairs and improvements.

I avoid doing "work" during summer because its just too hot.

blerch.gif

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2021

That's neat!  What sort of things are you planting in the garden?

Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
July 31, 2021

So much stuff to do my head is spinning.

Tidying up the existing fruit trees, have some new apples, pears, peaches and nectarines for imminent delivery. Moved the horseradish from a pot into the ground (finally). Collected oak, ash and avocado seeds in autumn that have gone into pots - having a devil of a time stopping the rodents getting into them. Have weeping willows and sacrificial apples (trying to distract the cockatoos, pretty sure it wont work 🙄) that I grew from cuttings and seeds last year that are ready to go into the ground. Preparing a spot for my Tasmanian pepperberry. Need to find a spot for the native cedars and the huon pines. Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries. Planting out herbs and leafy greens that can cope with winter.

Lots of mulching and composting and weeding. We had a massive growth of everlasting daisies last spring, and so I'm going round and mulching all the dead branches. I went away for 2 weeks late last year and my veggie garden got totally overgrown with weeds, so still trying to clear that. My asparagus and garlic are in there somewhere!

You know, just the usual!!! 🤣

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2021

TGIF...since its monsoons here, planning a trek nearby to enjoy the rain and the wind ;)

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2021

I like your enthusiasm, I personally would just stay inside. 

Solutions Partner
July 31, 2021

Yeah thats the kind of nuts thing I'd do. My husband and I go camping in the alpine areas in winter, for example!

Like # people like this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

Haha, thats great!hiker.gif

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2021

I don't work because I have holidays  ;)

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
July 31, 2021

Totally with you on that @Alexander Pappert . Summer is for doing as little as possible!

Like Alexander Pappert likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

I'm not so sure, even on holidays my wife and I always find things around the house/yard that we want to get done.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon ,

it is exactly the time for renovating for me. From this week all the rooms in our flat have a floor finally! We will continue with the furnishing now.

I would like to take ACP-120 exam in the August. I will also need to do some badge, because my first certification will expire in December. I started studying a few days ago.

I play the piano again, woohoo. During last months I had so much work, that no energy left for this.

Oh and I published my first few articles here on the community. I started to like it, so there will be more...

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

Good luck on the ACP-120!  I'm a little tired just from reading that, but good for you keeping busy!

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon I found out last week I should take some vacation. So I started planning something.

But as we have 1 and 3 years old children, it was

• let's go to Croatia
  • no... let's go to Poland
  • no... let's have a road trip in the Czech republic
  • no... let's go somewhere to not to spend more than 1hour in the car with our boys and we can stay there for a week
  • no... 3 days is enough

So I just booked three days on one place -> resting at home -> four days on another place. I think it is still kind of "work" :)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

LOL!  I completely understand.  We have a 3 year old, 2 dogs and another little one on the way.  The thought of preparing to travel seems like more work than the actual length of time you are gone.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
August 1, 2021

Australia is constantly going in and out of lockdown / borders closed... STILL!!! So, I'm not risking any kind of holiday plans until that's all done with. Too many people I know have had their plans smashed at the last minute or had to go into quarantine when they got back. It might be a while before we get any further than the supermarket. 🤷

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021

I'm currently studying to get the Jira Administrator certification!

Hopefully by the beginning of September I'll be eligible to take the exams and pass them!

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021

Thank you Martin!

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2021

I'm 'working' on my new role - that is taking up most of my time.

My 'spare' time is spent doing my Admin course - fingers crossed I'm ready for the end of the year

Like Dave Liao likes this
Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2021

I'm writing a book!

Actually wait, this is relevant to the community... I'm writing a book in Confluence.

SPOILER ALERT
You can see my (public) progress here: https://basicbadwitchstage.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LAC/overview

Also, this has further confirmed that I'm absolutely spoiled at work where we have a DC instance with 40+ marketplace and in-house developed add-ons and over 250 additional macros... Working in Vanilla Cloud has been so rough.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

Yaaaaas - I wonder what Confluence Cloud macros can help with book writing?

I was watching a TV special on movie making, and a screenwriter mentioned they used a black-and-white Macintosh to write their screenplays. I recall a popular software application used for that, and I wonder what exists for Confluence to help with the authoring of content. Future article idea? 🤔

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2021

I was def going to write an article about it.

One I know we don't have for Cloud (cause we developed it in house for Data Center) is a Glossary add-on with custom entries and definitions you can then link to terms in your documents and hover over them to see a pop up in your document. I need this so much considering how many Lacrous (alien language I'm developing) words and phrases I incorporate into my story. I've got a Glossary I'm just throwing into a table but that's really not the same thing.

I mean... DO YOU SEE HOW NICE THIS IS?!

2021-08-09 14_30_25-Charter Knowledge Base - Charter Knowledge Base - CHALK.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

I have been working on getting out into the mountains and backpacking country I have not been in for over a decade.   

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events