Friday Fun: What are you sharing with the next generation?

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2020

I'm a new parent (our first) and with this came a lot of preparation. I've always enjoyed being around children and now having my own – it’s put things into perspective. Growing up (especially in those teenage years), I always said I will never be my parents. I'm now realizing that I am – partially – and it’s not a bad thing! Many of the traits and morals I have are due to how my parents raised me.

I am a people person, I’m bubbly, outgoing and kind-hearted. I love to serve others and take joy in helping anyone out – even if it’s just making someone smile or holding a door open. These are all traits I learned from my mother. She gave so much of herself to others it wasn’t hard to miss. But on the flip-side of that I can also be stubborn, hold in feelings and grit through tough situations seemingly un-phased. These are earned from my dad. He grew up on a farm and had parents that were strict and cold. There wasn’t a lot of emotion shared with the family and most instances he was taught to just buck up and go with it (maybe why he hates going to the doctor for anything).

I am well-balanced because of my parents and their personalities, traits and teachings. I feel that I really did get the best parts of them.

My question to you is what one trait or moral you will be passing along that you learned from your parents/grandparents/extended family - someone older than you?

Giving will be one trait I pass along to my child. I value being able to provide to others when its most needed - or least expected. I tend to hold doors open or give a smile, entertain a fussy baby in the grocery store line, pay for the person's coffee behind me when I can and so forth. It's easy to get caught up in your own world while out & about and when someone else's day is brightened just a bit, mine is too.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's responses and seeing what is important to you!

8 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2020

I don't have kids (and the cat doesn't listen to me either), but I am a godparent to three, and have 5 neices and nephews I expect to be part of the rest of my life.

I think the one thing I'll be passing on is "questioning".  My parents tried to imbue it in me, but I think I got most of it from my maternal grandmother.  I think she's the only polymath I have known well, she was a biochemist and an anthropologist amongst her veried career path, and used to train olympic swimmers.

She always taught my sister and I to ask questions.  Not just when we didn't understand, but to explore and expand.   Why is it that way?  Why are you saying that?  What support do you have for that opinion?  One of my earliest memories is of her explaining lunar eclipses to me, and that lead into other ways you can prove the Earth is (roughly) spherical and spinning, mostly without leaving the house.

I learn a lot from asking questions, and I think it's a useful thing to learn to do.

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2020

Contrary to the saying - curiosity didn’t kill the cat. Questions are great! They allow us to understand the world deeper and really challenge ourselves in every way. 

I read an article yesterday that found an existing insect with gear-like mechanisms - like cogs on machinery. It raises the question on what other “man-made inventions” actually exist elsewhere in nature and we just haven’t found them yet. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2020

Great answer Nic!  The moment we stop asking questions, is the moment we stop innovating and that is vital to our survival as a species.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 31, 2020

@carrie_eandm I love this question.  Thank you for kicking off 2021 in such an amazing way!  My grandparents on my Mom's side were farmers and my grandpa on my Dad's side was in the military.  Both of my parents have tried and succeeded at ensuring I understand the value of hard-work.

It was through this that while many of my friends were out hitting up the local bars during my teenage and college years, I was taking extra shifts at the local grocery store.  I'm not saying that I didn't have a social life, but I had a better balance of work and play.

My parents were able to help me pay for college if I needed it but I had the satisfaction of being able to say that I paid for my tuition and books and left college debt free (I had free room & board at my parents house the entire time).

I feel this gave me a really big advantage starting out in the workforce and it's a value I want to pass on to my three year old.

Have a Happy New Year Everyone!

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 31, 2020

Yes - hard work! I can also attest to that value and being able to pay for something yourself. It’s much more rewarding!

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2021

I was told >being helpful to others< is key and now, many many years later, I totally agree and therefore I would emphasize and pass this one along.
Some years ago the mayor of the village where I lived back then said at a speech: "you are happily invited to do something for our community. If you do not know where to start - look at your skills to let you guide to something you like" and from what I could observe this encouraged a bunch of people to start bringing theirselves in.

Being a life long learner is also a good advise but I am not sure if this was expressed in these specific words the earlier days (nonetheless an advise I would pass along) - I think many years back the voice of tone was rather "learn something or the teacher will get angry".

While considering all these very valid things - never to forget about the fun, though! Very important.

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2021

The mayors words are very helpful! Sometimes one may not know where or how to begin - and they may be overwhelmed. 

Fun is always important! If you don’t enjoy doing something, you’re less likely to stick with it. 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 1, 2021

I've been passing the knowledge of financial literacy to my younger family members. I was lucky to have a basic education on this growing up (even in my school system) but I know it's not universally taught or emphasized.

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2021

This is very important! It’s something I wish my parents had more knowledge of. Looking back to my teen years - I didn’t realize just how deep my parents were in debt and what they almost lost. They worked hard to climb out - but some basic skills that I use know could have helped them even quicker.

Albert Lane January 2, 2021

Healthcare and why sports and why is healthy lifestyle so important in our life. How to effectively spend money. You can order a work here https://justdomyhomework.com if you are too late.

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2021

A hard topic to pass along sometimes, but very important.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2021

I don't have kids yet, but I share to next generation (neice, nephew). 

The next topics: what I will do if I were, and answer to many questions like why, when and is it possible ?

And one of my favourite advice is bite your tongue once you did not follow-up previous generation advice. Based on that I share the next advice, it's ok to make a mistake.

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2021

Always questioning is the best way to continue learning. It’s great advice to pass along!

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2021

Perhaps, the ability to change, start over again, and not being afraid of that. Some people say we will change careers at least once during our life. I shifted my career entirely many years ago. Initially, a few thought it wouldn't be a smart move. Nowadays, I am pleased to help some of them doing the same.

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2021

It’s a big jump to change drastically, but in the end, you decide what makes you happy and if that means a career change, so be it! I’m glad it worked for you!

Change is necessary to grow, an important skill to learn and to continue learning.

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2021

My daughter is 24 now and I can see the traits that she has picked up from our family, (for better or for worse) and the one I'm most proud of, is our drive and ambition. My Grandmother was a mother of 3 and in many respects, a traditional wife, with one exception. She put herself through nursing school and finally graduated from college with her degree in her 50's. She raised her family and then pursued her dreams when the time was right for her. Similarly, I worked 3 jobs while putting myself through college and raising my daughter, but had the family support that allowed me to finish up in my twenties. My daughter is already showing a level of tenacity and grit that has served our family well and look forward to seeing what obstacles and challenges she will overcome. 

Like carrie_eandm likes this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2021

I am amazed at what mothers can do. There isn’t a hat we can’t wear and for most of motherhood, it’s multiple at the same time. Our children do see and learn these traits. It’s nice to see how your family closed the gap on when it was possible. Very rewarding!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events