Friday Fun: We're all a little weird, aren't we?

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Today’s topic: What is your funniest weirdness?

“We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — was and call it love — true love.”

― Robert Fulghum, True Love.

Inspired by this quote, I was thinking about my weirdnesses - the funny ones. Not satisfied with my own, I began listing weirdnesses from others I know when then I realized that this quote is pretty accurate. 😂

That said, here is one of my weirdness (I hope it’s funny): 

I am used to counting steps when I am walking or jogging alone. And, recently, I took it to the next level. I am trying to take longer steps every multiple of 9. Of course, I get lost or distracted very often and then I have to start over again. My challenge is to get to the next higher multiple of 9 to break my previous record.

hoodie-walking-1.jpg

Now, if you are wondering what my current record is, I prefer not to mention it because it is too weird 😁 . I am not going to lie that my Apple Watch, combined with those step counters apps, made my life a lot easier.

What about you? Or, I should say, what about your weirdness?

8 comments

Comment

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2020

Hey Ivan,

that is kind of cool weirdness, you can exercise your math at the same time! And sounds challenging :)

I guess my weirdness (even that I've heard many people have problem with this) would be that I am doubting I have done something. Like I lock the car and after a while I am thinking "Did I really lock the car?" and have to go back. And the problem is, it is not just with a car. When I go out, "Did I turn off the lights in my room?", "Did I turn off the stove, when I finished cooking?".

These things are just so automatic you don't even remember you did them haha. At the same time, happens a lot, that I really do not do these things, which does not really help the situation.. I feel old.

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2020

Hi @Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_ 

Have you thought about smart plugs?  You could then check if you've turned the lights, etc. off from your phone!

Like Ivan Lima likes this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

I thought about this one when I was putting my notes together. I bet that most of us have that on different levels. Nice.

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2020

@Liam Green - I've heard about them, but never really thought about that, thanks for the recommendation.. I will check them out!

However my biggest issue is still my car, not sure if I can somehow check if I locked the car or if I pulled up the handbrake (yes, that is also one of my fears when I leave the car...)

oranges13 September 24, 2020

I've heard it said that if you make a noise or say a specific word every time that you do the activity it makes it easier to remember that you did it.

Like Esther Strom likes this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2020

@oranges13 Yes! Neurolinguistic programming. Can be used for good or evil :)

2fbc1fa57da7f8ecc28561c744f03553

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

Great topic @Ivan Lima!

Here's one of the many weird things I do.  So a usual supper plate for me consists of a meat, starch (Potato or rice, etc.) and two or three other vegetables.  When I eat these I consume everything one type at a time, so if I have carrots and green beans, I will eat all the carrots before I touch anything else on the plate, then I would move on to the next item.

No real rhyme or reason why it's just something I do.

Have a great weekend!

-Jimmy 

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

Wow, so weird! Not that you do that, but because I was just going to post the same thing! In fact, just yesterday my manager sent a request to all team members for one strange fact about ourselves to be used in an after-hours game, and that was mine. Now I have to come up with another one :)

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon - I used to do that as a kid!

Sven Cipido September 18, 2020

I have the same :-D

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

That's funny. I don't have that, but my wife has something similar. She makes me grab at least one vegetable every meal and also freaks out when I don't drink enough water. I realized that she counts the number of vegetables I eat and glasses of water I drink during the day 🤣  - (especially now we're WFH).

Darline Auguste
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 18, 2020

Fun topic! My funniest weirdness is also related to counting. Five is my favorite number and several times during the day, I'll find myself counting words in a sentence. If the sentence is more than five words, I think of ways it could be shortened down to/conveyed in five words.

counting.gif

I also feel very uneven if I do something with one foot and not the other. For example, if I'm going up the stairs, I want to step up with each foot the same amount of times. If that isn't possible, I might skip steps or start off with a specific foot, even if it means breaking my stride between flights of stairs. If I step on a big crack with one foot, I have to step on it with the other foot too or I'll feel uneven lol. 

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

I'd say that I'm having fun reading all these. The words counting is new to me, but the uneven feeling you mentioned isn't. Indeed, during my walks, besides counting steps, I wind up trying to keep the steps with the same stride length. 😁

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2020

As above, my weirdness is related to numbers / counting.

I like to count when I do something repetitive (e.g. chopping vegetables, climbing stairs) and like it to be an even number.  I also have to have volume, like TV volume, on an even number or multiple of 5 - I completely mistrust anyone who can sit with their TV on volume '13'!!

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

Okay, I just checked, my TV on volume '13' I can barely hear. So, we're all good here. 😀

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

Interesting topic, @Ivan Lima

I'm glad to see everyone else has number/counting-related oddities, too - I've always felt a little like Rain Man.

I have a couple, although I don't know how odd they really are. 

I still use the Big Bird talking alarm clock I had as a child in the 70's. I hated mornings so much that even with that obnoxious voice on repeat, there were still times when my mom ended up dumping ice down my back to get me out of bed (no kidding!) I still hate mornings, but now the voice is enough.

I also have a mild form of synesthesia. I see color halos out of the corners of my eyes when I hear music.

Edited to fix spelling. Because that's another oddity: I can't leave a typo alone!

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

As I'm a morning person, my mom has never had to dump anything down on me to wake me up, but it sounds a good idea. I guess that you now have the voice as an unconscious trigger to keep you safe from getting frozen first thing in the morning. 😂 . The typo one, I do my best but it drives me crazy sometimes. So, I'm learning to go easy on me to keep the rhythm and productivity going.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

My weird quirk is calendaring. Ever since I discovered digital organizers (Outlook, Google Calendar, whatever) I make calendar invites for everything. 📆

I found people generally appreciate this. But once I met someone else who shared the same habit; she hated it whenever I sent her invites. She said she had to delete/decline my invites so she wouldn't have clutter in her calendar... 😂 

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

I like that. Perhaps, the closest one I have is to put everything into a Trello board. I drive my wife crazy sometimes with this. Another day, we were planning a day trip when I told her to add her ideas to a board I had shared with her. She said that it was not supposed to be a work meeting... 😆  

Sven Cipido September 18, 2020

Except for my weirdness when eating food.
I have an another one. I like to have everything ordereed in separate boxes. So I buy a lot of boxes and put everything that is not simular in another box. this drives my wives sometimes crazy :-P

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

Well, you gave me a good idea. Since we've been planning to move out soon, I can start doing the same thing. So, the actual moving date, we will be in better shape for sure. 👍 

Like Sven Cipido likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2020

Great friday-fun topic! I am sure I do lots of weird things but have accepted them as part of my life so I can't seem to identify them as weird now. For me, I say "I love you" at the end of every call/visit I have with family and friends, even just a 2-minute conversation. It can catch people off guard but now I am known for it. However I do it genuinely and only to people I do love. If I think deeply about it, I think this habit developed when I lost my Dad, I didn't get to tell him I loved him before he passed suddenly and it really bothered me for a long time. So that became something where I always wanted my last words to be that for the people I love, so that if I didn't get to see them again they would always know ♡ 

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2020

Indeed, it does sound thoughtful and lovely. I see how difficult it is sometimes to say, "I love you!". It is a simple thing that requires courage. Thanks for sharing that. 😊

Like Dave Liao likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events