Friday Fun: #Throwback

Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2020

HA-HA-HA-PPY FRIDAY Y'ALL Super psyched for my first Friday Fun post and even more excited that we've entered October and are one week closer to Halloween! 

Whenever this time of year comes 'round, I'm reminded of my first October in the US, going into the second grade, in good ole Houston, Texas.

Honestly, that October was the first and most lasting impression I've had of the US of A. And what can I say? I'm a sucker for childhood nostalgia *chef's kiss* - that yearning for a simpler time (god) especially now 😂 

I'll kick off this week with all my childhood go-tos: 

School back in the day 

Elvis Presley Lunch Box - Cool Stuff to Buy and Collect Soon, kids will not know what these were used for. ( how bout my fellow phi sigs?) Who remembers the days of saving information on floppy disks. 

(I actually still have that exact same lunchbox at home)

Gotta have the goods!

Smithsonian Collections Object: The Sony TPS-L2 “Walkman” Cassette Player,  National Museum of American History | Bibliolore Got one as a kid and was fascinated by the little claymation figures and scenery in the stories!! So . . . I got each of my daughters one. Guess what? They had little to no interest in them!! I am still baffled by their lack of enthusiasm!!  :oD  Putting cool beads on your bike spokes. | 45 Things From Your '90s Childhood You Probably Forgot About

The real OGs know ;) 

Why Windows users will never let Microsoft kill their beloved MS Paint |  Digital Trends GIF snake - animated GIF on GIFER

Also these movies made my childhood! 

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back | Illustrations de star wars,  Images star wars, Dessins star wars Amazon.com: HOCUS POCUS: Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy,  Omri Katz, Thora Birch, Vinessa Shaw, Charles Rocket, Stephanie Faracy,  Sean Murray, Kathleen Freeman, Doug Jones, Amanda Shepherd, Larry Bagby,  Tobias Jelinek, The Sound of Music is amazing! You MUST watch!

As someone who remembers so much of my past, and now have so much time to reflect on my younger days (lol), its wild to see how everything has added ✨flavor✨ to your personality 😆✌🏼

What do y'all remember about your childhood? Don't be shy 🤠 drop your favorite childhood goody or memory in the comments below! 

13 comments

Comment

Sven Cipido October 9, 2020

Well here's mine :-D

My computer stuff. Who remember these one's:

apple II.jpgdiscs.jpgsinclair ql.jpgMicrosoft_Windows_1.0_screenshot.png

Then my toys

fisher technics.jpgWalkman.jpeg
playmobil.jpeg

And movies/TV shows (a whole) --> Make a guess :-) :
 to the future.jpgALF.jpgateam.jpgDukes of hazard.jpegET.jpgKnightlogo.pngmiami vice.jpgtop-gun-movie_large.jpg

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2020

Omgosh Back to the Future slayedddd! 

Like Sven Cipido likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 9, 2020

Shoutout to King's Quest 2 on my Tandy 1000:

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.54.17 AM.png

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2020

we have seen this before and you know I love it Mo!

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2020

Books were my thing. Lots and lots and LOTS of books.
Tintin and Asterix are particular favourites. 

The_Adventures_of_Tintin_-_07_-_The_Black_Island.jpgasterix_in_britain.jpg

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
October 9, 2020

ABSOLUTE CLASSICS! 👏🏼 I was super stoked for the Adventures of Tin Tin movie when it came out!

Like Matt Doar likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2020

And Jacques Cousteau books. And space books. And Guinness Book of Records. 

cousteau_books.jpg

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2020

Lego too, including this beauty from 1977.

lego_technic_car_853.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Matt, awesome collection of Cousteau! I was always a poor reader growing up but did read some of his books and loved all of his TV series as I was an avid diver beginning in HS.

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 9, 2020

I am proud to admit that I was pretty obsessed with Spice Girls. Spice World was my favorite movie, and I always dreamt of having a tour bus of my own! 

skynews-spice-girls-brits-geri-haliwell_4677253.jpg

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
October 9, 2020

Truly ICONIC! They were the definition of GIRL POWER 💯

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2020
  • I must not admit I have a (working) Alpha in my study
  • Nor that yesterday I used "apt install scummvm" and fed it my original "Sam and Max hit the Road" CD.  ("I'm a lagomorph, not a malefactor" - that's the sort of line that inspires stuff like R(n)ick and Morty)
  • Or that I was brought up on Imperial measures and still prefer a lot of them to metric because a lot of them use base 12 instead of the idiotic choice of 10.

@Sven Cipido- Nice one, you beat me to it.   I was going to dig out the 5.25" disks I still have for a photo (I installed Bane of the Cosmic Forge  from them once, but I suspect their age and my lack of care has made them unreadable).  I dumped the 8" disks when I moved into this house 12 years ago.

@Matt Doar- I liked the Tintin books, if for nothing else, the joke about the twins, but Asterix is by far in the top three educational books I have ever had in my life.  When my parents realised that I was utterly utterly shit at learning languages beyond English, they enlisted our next-door neighbour to try to help. 

She was able to get me through a Latin O-level (B) and French (D) and Spanish GCSEs (E), based purely on having "Asterix the Gaul" books printed in all four languages.  

I have to say it's a metric-shit-ton funnier in Latin and English than it is in French or Spanish though.  

40 years later, my father still delights in pointing out that I can't even speak American proper like, let alone other non-English-based languages.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2020

Oh yes indeed, I remember writing some essay about Rome using details taken straight from Asterix the Legionary. Cool that you had them in four languages.

Sven Cipido October 10, 2020

Oh yes those 5.25" discs. So much space for data on it :-D. 
When using these discs it was like a DJ switching them to read the whole program on my Apple.

But the 8" where is that time.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2020

My next-door-neighbour was a professor of linguistics at Reading university - she actually had a copy of Asterix The Gaul in every language it had been printed in back then, plus several hand-written ones.

I wish I'd had the time  with her to learn the ancient greek version (modern Greek is the same letters, but a totally different language) and the Egyptian Hieroglyph version (although she found pTerry Pratchett's "Pyramids" very amusing when it pointed out that it looks like "squiggly line, water jar, field of grain, constipated eagle, two squiggly lines").  I was less keen on learning from the Klingon or Sumerian versions...

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2020

I love a throwback!! 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I too had Sam and Max, but my favourite was Day of the Tentacle!

I also loved all the 90's kids TV:

• Fun House
  • The Queens Nose
  • Kenan and Kel
  • Sabrina
  • Art Attack
  • SMTV

Don't miss shellsuits though!

Like # people like this
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2020

My childhood in a nutshell:Rainbow-Brite-The-Complete-Series-DVD-root-1KOB6003_KOB6003_1470_1.jpg_Source_Image_grande.jpg

Like # people like this
Lauren Allen October 12, 2020

I love this so much!  You've just sent me on a whole nostalgia kick.  I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch of stuff, but here are a few things from my childhood that your pics prompted:

I was going to grab a photo off the web, but then I realised I still had this sitting in the top of the wardrobe. 

tape recorder.jpg

This isn't the original one I had but I did buy it for the memories :)spirograph.jpg

In terms of movies:

• Doctor Dolittle (the original 1960's version)
  • Grease
  • Mary Poppins
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  • The Sound of Music
  • Bedknobs & Broomsticks
  • Swallows and Amazons
  • The Little Shop of Horrors
  • Rocky Horror Picture Show (we had no idea of all the innuendo!)
Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2020

Rocky Horror Picture Show!!! What a classic! Went to a theatre in Austin where they'd act it out in front of the movie 💯

Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2020

A lot of things are there and here are some of those!

$_1.jfifa6e73adf4c209cfe91f47f4aa24d6c19.jpgthe-adventures-of-tintin-volume-1_FrontImage_413.jpg

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2021

I had a lot of Tinni books!

Veronique DUFOUR November 1, 2020

Who remembers 
Police quest

PoliceQuest.png

Winter games

WinterGames.png

And Alley Cats

AlleyCats.png

Like Kyren Wong likes this
Sven Cipido November 2, 2020

Oh Yes police quest. And Leisure Suite Larry and some other games.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2020

Keep an eye on https://www.indiegala.com/ - it feels like they do a Leisure Suit Larry bundle every 5 months...

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2020

Almost everything mentioned above leads to a throwback.... I am apparently older than I thought. 🤣

But just this weekend I had an Asterix throwback... in dialect: Franconian and Ruhrpott German. 🤣

5E03B348-88A9-4093-8E35-202FA2718D47.jpeg

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2021

Hi @Kyren Wong ,

It was pretty great to see or remember this old stuff. It was an awesome childhood time.

Crispy Deals Kid's 8 Bit Video Game Cassette (Multicolour)- Buy Online in  India at desertcart.in. ProductId : 72392530.

Audio cassette: Rewind and Remember - Indian Express

Floppy disk - Wikipedia

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2021

Image result for images of 1979Image result for images of 1980

79 and 80

Image result for images of 1980

Image result for images of 1981

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events