Friday Fun: The Best Foods/Recipes to Eat in your Country?

jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2018

Food has a huge place in every culture and region of the world. No matter where you come from, sharing a meal with family, friends, strangers and travelers is a social experience that goes beyond mere survival. Being invited to share a meal means sharing a moment of altruism, intimacy, friendship that allows you to get closer to each other.

Given that, if you wanted to invite a guest to have a taste the culture of your country, which dish/food/recipe would you propose to share together?

As I'm from Montreal, Canada, I will skip the easy answer of Poutine and go with something a little less obvious!

Mmmmhhmmm.... Sweet sweet maple syrup! You don't get any more Canadian than maple syrup! Bacon with maple syrup... Ice Cream with maple syrup... Ham... Pie... you name it, we tried it with maple syrup! Now, Maple-Glazed Pork Tenderloins... that's a meal that I really enjoy sharing in good company on a cold winter evening with a nice, dark, cold stout!

----

Maple-Glazed Pork Tenderloins

http://storage-cube.quebecormedia.com/v1/dynamic_resize?quality=75&size=1500x1500&src=http%3A%2F%2Fstorage-cube.quebecormedia.com%2Fv1%2Frqc_prod%2Frecettes_qc%2Fbd3f3c3b-8b84-43bc-bc7d-dfb13861962f%2Froti-de-longe-de-porc-frais-a-l-erable-recipeugc-110650-principal

Ingredients

Flour
    2 pork tenderloins, about 1 lb (454 g) each
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
    Salt and pepper
    4 shallots, chopped
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup (125 ml) maple syrup

Preparation

1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
    2. Dust the tenderloins with flour. In an ovenproof skillet, brown the meat in
the butter and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the skillet.
Set aside.
    3. Add a little butter in the skillet, if necessary, and soften the shallots.
Add the mustard and maple syrup and simmer for about 1 minute, until it thickens.
Return the pork to the skillet and coat with the sauce.
    4. Bake for 16 to 17 minutes for medium rare doneness.
    5. Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil.
Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with fresh thyme.
    6. Serve with barley pilaf with bacon and/or mashed acorn squash with maple syrup.

Your turn..!!

What dish from your country would you share with us to experience a taste of your culture?

----

Bonus Fun : I got married on October 5th, 2018!! :) A wonderful Jira Wedding that will be engraved in memories for a lifetime!

https://cdn0.weddingwire.ca/web/wedshoots/photo/458241/4?tc=1ed4f3f755daf03a90bb3013011a5f93e0eec573

4 comments

Comment

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2018

Congratulations for your wedding - wish you both all the best! <3

Here is a recipe for "Kaiserschmarrn" (a mix between waffles and pancakes) - of course we also have "Schweinsbraten mit Klößen" but here in South of Bavaria which is really near Austria we have the alps.... It's a typical food you get at the mountain huts (Almhütten) when you go hiking. 

There are even special evenings in some huts where you only get Kaiserschmarrn. Of course it's also a question of faith - rather you make it with raisins or not. Come here and you may find people that discuss this for hours ;)

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons raisins (or more to taste soaked in 1 tablespoon rum per 1 tablespoon raisins) these are optional - I prefer without
  • 4 large eggs (separated)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
  • Optional: lemon zest
  • 3 tablespoons sugar (white not the brown one)
  • 1 5/8 cups milk
  • 1 cup flour 
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
  • + confectioners' sugar for topping (as much as possible - supersweet)
  • Serve it with applesauce / plum compote or cranberry sauce (yes you read right here - in Austria you will only get this)

Steps to Make It

1. Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour the rum over. 

2. Microwave the rum and raisin mix for 15 to 30 seconds and let them soak until the rum is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Set aside. (as already mentioned - optional)

3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks, adding a pinch of salt toward the end.

4. In a separate large bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla sugar, optional lemon zest, and sugar until the mixture is light yellow.

5. Add the milk and flour, a little at a time to avoid lumps, and blend well.

6. Fold in the egg whites and let the batter rest for about 10 minutes.

7. Melt 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan.

8. Stir the batter again gently and pour it into the hot pan.

9. Sprinkle the raisins evenly over the top. (only if you made steps 1+2)

10. Cover the pan and let the pancake cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Flip over and cook about 10 minutes more; you might have to cut it into several portions to flip.

11. Cut or pull the pancake apart into bite-size pieces while it continues to cook.

12. When it is browned a bit, it is ready to serve.

13. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve with applesauce or preserves of your choice. 

Et voilà - you have a typical bavarian/austrian meal!

wiener-kaiserschmarrn

Like Karen O'Keefe likes this
jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2018

You won me at Rum with raisins! It must taste wunderbar!

Is it considered a breakfast meal?

Danke für das Teilen :-)

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2018

YUM, this looks delicious!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2018

Thank you @Fabienne Gerhard! My grandmother used to make this for us when I visited as a kid. We also has a pre-Lenten tradition of making fasnacht kuechle, but usually on a Saturday so we could use the leftover dough for a kuchen. 

Warm, happy "grandma" memories :)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2018

@Scott Theus, Fasnachtskuechle - that Sounds like Black Forest in Southern Germany - my grandmother also made them every year in February 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2018

@jndeverteuil - we don't have it for breakfast it's more like a meal you eat during the afternoon - you normally eat "Brotzeit" for dinner after that.

Some people like to have it for dessert - after dinner with "Schweinsbraten" und "Knödel".

@Scott Theus had to google Fastnachtskuechle - wow that looks great :) Definitly have to try this. 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2018

I love to cook....pies, cheesecakes, pastries, home baked bread (I have a sourdough starter that I've been "feeding" since high school back in the late '80's) and a bunch more. But to pick a recipe that is distinctly "Cleveland" I'd have to go with the Cleveland Clam Bake.

From Today.com: The Cleveland clam bake is a tradition that dates back to the Revolutionary War, and the lands that were given to that war’s veterans; this land is now better known as The Western Reserve. The Cleveland clam bake combines the the Northeasterner’s penchant for coastal clams and red-skinned potatoes with the Germanic Ohioans’ love affair with sausage-making and corn from the Great Lakes Native Americans.  Additionally, Cleveland is the natural stopping point between the East Coast and Chicago to refresh the ice for all seafood ice (as this was before the refrigerated train car) and so the locals got to enjoy the bounty.  In the fall months, Ohio consumes more clams per capita (not including tourists) than the populations of most East Coast cities!"

This is A LOT of food...the best clambakes are done over a camp fire with friends and family. It's a fall tradition here, you can pretty much always find one any time between September 1st and mid-October. Sometimes the party will have a walleye fish fry or Polish Boys. 

Clambake.jpg

This is a general recipe, everyone has a variation; some with lobster, some with crayfish, etc. 

Ingredients

2 pounds clams, scrubbed clean

2 pounds cockles (can omit)

1 pound garlic bratwurst, sliced into bite sized pieces (although I prefer Hungarian Kielbasa from Czuchraj Meats.)

2 pounds chicken, sliced into bite sized pieces

12 small new potatoes

2 ears local corn, each cut into 4 pieces

1 head  garlic, halved

1 bay leaf

1 bottle dry white wine 

1 stick butter

10 cups broth of choice

Grilled bread

1 cup freshly chopped parsley (garnish)

Preparation

1.  In the bottom of a dutch oven with a tight lid, melt butter, adding bay leaf and salt. Add potatoes and warm over low heat 2-3 minutes.

2. Add white wine and simmer until reduces to half.

3.  Layer in the sausage, chicken and corn in that order.

4. Add broth and bring to a boil.

5. Reduce to simmer until chicken, sausage and corn are cooked through. Approximately 20 minutes on low.

6. Add clams and cockles, add lid, steam for an additional five minutes or until clams are opened. Discard bay leaf and any unopened clams, garnish with parsley and serve.

clambake-ns6z2fvehlu9muiq99egzmveqvv09a31xyrfyvu2yw.jpg

jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2018

My first reaction was to this dish was that I would definitely not eat for a bunch of hours prior the feast... then... game on!!

Possibly pass out from over eating afterward...

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2018

Hi @jndeverteuil Congratulations! I loved reading your explanation of how you used Jira to plan your wedding. Hmmm... just got some maple syrup so this is a great recipe to try out. Don't currently have an oven, so I will try this out on the stovetop. Thanks!

jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2018

Thank you @carolyn french! It was sure helpful to use Jira :)

If you have a barbecue, I believe that could be awesome as well! Hmmmm... barbecues...

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2018

True! BBQ > Stove

I just took a cooking class to learn more about cooking Vietnamese food. When you use fish sauce, make sure it is an amber color as opposed to a light color. Here is my favorite recipe from the class. I'm so excited to try and make it on my own.

(not able to upload the image of the recipe.... will try again later)

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2018

Well... TBH I'm from Colorado, USA and we don't really have a signature taste... Unless you want to count Rocky Mountain Oysters or like... brownies with extra kick and munchies cause this whole state is stoned (for the non-Americans who may not know... Colorado was the first state to legalize weed, so now there's a dispensary on every corner and our trains always smell weird...) Oh. And of course Coors beer. 

That said... My mom actually runs a bunch of blogs and one of them is a recipe blog! http://blog.scottsontherocks.com/recipes/

... It's kinda ironic that my mom runs a recipe blog cause she can't cook. Well, she can but only like 6 dishes... and one of them is pie.

A few of her recipes are what I call "Sticky Note" recipes... cause they're on sticky notes on my fridge. They're super simple but very yummy, and great when you're on a budget cause they reheat wonderfully, so you can make a bunch for not a lot of money and have leftovers for days! Here are my two favorites:

Spinach Pie Quiche (Vegetarian-Friendly)

1 package frozen CHOPPED spinach
1 8-10oz package cottage cheese
10oz of mild cheddar or rat trap
4 eggs

Cook and drain frozen spinach-set aside
Cut cheddar cheese in small cubes, mix w/ cottage cheese
Beat 4 eggs and add spinach
Take spinach egg mixture and mix into the cheese mixture
Pour into a casserole dish or pie pan

Cook @ 350 for about 45 min until starts to brown on top.

Mom's notes...

ok…. we like this with a LOT more eggs and less spinach. we’ve even added mushrooms. play with it to your liking.

For the six of us plus leftovers, 1/2 pkg or so of spinach, and about a dozen eggs in a 9 x 13 cake pan does the best.

Chicken & Rice Casserole

for extra large batch, preheat oven 350

6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts [I cut into halves lenthwise]

4 cans cream mushroom soup [I use healthy request]

4 cups water

3 cups uncooked long grain rice [I use Uncle Ben’s converted]

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp pepper [ or 1/2 black, 1/2 white]

use some of the water to rinse the soup from the cans into your mixture.

mix all the ingredients into a large baking dish and stir well.  cover.  cook for about 60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes to make sure rice is not sticking and chicken is cooking evenly.  sprinkle the top with more paprika and pepper after stirring if you like a little spicier dish.  if you have small children who prefer LESS spicier, user LESS paprika and pepper in this dish.  I also use WHITE pepper to help with the visual pepper haters.

Depending on your oven you might need to cook a few minutes longer or until chicken is completely cooked through and rice is to your desired texture.

Top with Worcestershire sauce and serve :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events