Friday Fun: Sounds of the Season

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2021

It's that time of year - you know, the time when spring loudly announces its arrival in some parts of the world. I grew up in the midwest United States, on a farm near a marsh, where lots of these little cuties live:

2880px-Pseudacris_crucifer01

Yes, that's a frog know as the Spring Peeper and when there are hundreds of them going at their evening calls, the sound can be deafening. This site has some great recordings of what the various spring / summer frogs sound like . When I hear these frog calls, I know the seasons have changed!

What are some sounds that always tell you time is moving forward? What are the sounds, and what seasons do they go with?

8 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2021

Great topic @Daniel Eads!  Love the change of pace.  I want to keep the spring time theme rolling, because I'm looking forward to escaping the winter months.  One of the first signs for me that spring is here (other than the snow being gone of course) is hearing the American Robins singing on the morning walk with the dogs. 

Robin.jpg

Robins fly south from here for the winter, so when you can hear them singing you know they have come back and that winter is likely gone.

I haven't heard them yet this year, but I'm looking forward to it.

Like # people like this
Tom Kakanowski March 12, 2021

The annual wolf howl in Algonquin Park was always one of the key flags for season changes from summer to fall for me.  My best friend and I would canoe out for many days at a time, and do this at night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nyoL_sBMAWolf Howl.jpg

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2021

Thank you for the interesting topic @Daniel Eads . Swallows always come to our territory on Spring. They can be heard everywhere in a short period. Later, on sumer, they are having "kids" and it is almost the same sound but louder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Y50i5i9lA

BBC - Earth - Swallows are a welcome sign of spring

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2021

Wow, That is really nice 

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
March 12, 2021

Kookaburras all year round. Amazing lyre bird out the back last night - we think he was trying to woo the ladies. Whip birds are pretty cool too. Went to sleep with the sounds of frogs going nuts in the dam.

We dont get the hyper cold weather across much of the country so we tend to get the noises most of the year. We're very lucky!

Like Daniel Eads likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2021

Going to cheat and use a visual instead of a sound. For me it is seeing daffodils emerge. I have always loved those!

daffodil.jpg

Like # people like this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
March 13, 2021

ooooo yeah, good one. I love jonquils.

Like John Funk likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2021

Hi @Daniel Eads 

I love the sound of the waves of the sea in summer, when it is hot, because I love the heat and the sun

Cheers

Tom Kakanowski March 19, 2021

Me too, because it likely means I'm out on my boat, and no cell phone signal to be had! 8)

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2021

Hi @Daniel Eads ,

I love the sound of the waves, the Same as @Vero Rivas . Below is the pic was taken from my recent vacation :) 

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-14 at 6.10.45 PM.jpeg

- Sri

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2021

Oh wow! I can hear and smell that one!

Like Sri Kumar likes this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2021

This snap is from a summer visit to Cambridge Botanical Garden. I love to visit for plants, birds and I love to watch and hear the sound of fountains.

IMG_20210516_160955.jpg

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events