Friday Fun: Serious or Funny

Paula Pokusa August 11, 2022

Happy friday y'all, we made it!

1W9j.gif

This is a choose your adventure type of question. 

1. For the serious folks: What's the best career advice you've ever received?
  2. For the funny crowd: What is your favorite work related meme?

I'll go first... 

The best advice I have gotten (and that really stuck with me) is: "If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted." 

Meme of choice: 

image_from_ios.jpg

9 comments

Comment

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Best advice: Work hard and be nice to people 

Favourite Work Meme: EstimatesTreatedAsDeadlines.jpg

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

So you've worked with people pretending to be "agile"....

And/or consultancy-type stuff where all the good ones over-estimate by 4-16 times so that when the client treats them as a deadline, you actually have the room to do it..

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  HAHAHAHAHA.... I like to call it Agile-fall

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2022

When I hear "deadline", I suggest using "want date" instead...and then explain the history of the term "deadline".  The PMO folks do not like it when I do that  :^)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

My old team works with a lot of people, our current scoring is that of all the clients saying they are "agile", it's only 1 in 4 that actually are.  And it's a worse score for Scrum - 80% say "we're Agile because we're doing Scrum... but we're doing this bit differently (in a way that means they're absolutely not Agile)"

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

@Bill Sheboy - very good point, and I like the renaming, it shifts the focus from "you will..." to "we'd like it done by...", removing the painful and not-agile imperative. 

Although the more evil part of my brain wants to set it up so that when the (usually idiotic) "deadline" is set by the PMO, they're the ones who get shot when it's crossed.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

Yeah. "Target Date"

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

Great topic @Paula Pokusa!

The best career advice I have ever received 

Challenge Yourself. Say yes to the things that scare you!

And agree with @Stuart Capel - London - Work hard and be nice to people!

Best career meme for my role as a Product Owner/Product Manager

manager-humor-meme.jpg

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2022

OMG, so true.... I am a PM.  I totally get this.

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2022

For the serious folks: What's the best career advice you've ever received?

Take advantage of the free training and tuition assistance.

For the funny crowd: What is your favorite work related meme?

See related image detail

Like # people like this
Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 12, 2022

@Marjorie this is great advice!

Like Marjorie likes this
Gabriel Kryvoruchca
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2022

10/10 advice :) 

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2022

Love that advice! @Paula Pokusa 

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

giphy

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

For the serious folks: What's the best career advice you've ever received?

Documentation is common human courtesy.

For the funny crowd: What is your favorite work related meme?

Screenshot 2022-08-12 181112.png

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2022

Get-Back-to-Work-Memes-8-768x768

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

@Paula Pokusa thanks for this post.

Best career advice: Completion, not perfection, is the goal you need to achieve.

Favorite Work related meme:

unnamed-6.png

Paula Pokusa August 30, 2022

Love that advice - thanks for sharing, Andy!

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2022

Best advice: You are worth something. Don't let people tell you otherwise. If the latter happens you are definitely in the wrong environment.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events