Friday Fun: Road Trips

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2019

Everyone loves road trips and travelling. That's what I get when I ask people. But while I don't doubt that their answer is genuine, most people shy away from a long weekend road trip. Mostly because it's hours and hours and hours and hours in a car watching the world go by. But that's fun, right? Right?

So as my Friday fun discussion, I thought I'd ask you, wonderful people, what your experience with road trips is.

Maybe I'm the only person who's willing to pay the extra money to travel to the US, rent a Dodge Charger and be off to the sunset?

Or perhaps only I'm among the few people that would jump into their car on a Saturday and set off to discover the roads of the UK or Europe?

5 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2019

I dislike driving, and get car-sick sometimes, so I'm not fond of road-trips myself.

But I do enjoy them when I've got company.  The most relevant one I've enjoyed was a pre-Summit trip with fantastic company - 8 eco-system people driving from San Diego to San Jose in a few days before Summit.  We saw lots of things (Hearst Castle, Hollywood Boulevard and Malibu beach, and so-on), drove a long way, but it was definitely the people who made the trip worth every moment!

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2019

I absolutely LOVE road trips. I also love lighthouses, and listening to books while driving. Add all that together and you have two of my favorite trips so far...

Way back in the summer 2000 I bought my first brand new car: a Jeep Wrangler that I ordered from the factory with exactly the options I wanted (I had to order it because I couldn't get what I wanted with a standard 5-speed transmission.) That summer my wife and I went on a camping trip to Michigan's Silver Lake park near Traverse City for some off-roading with my new toy. We took the long way by driving up the coast of Lake Michigan, stopping at every lighthouse along the way for pictures and listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (still my favorite HP book.)

We had so much fun we did the cost of Lake Huron and Lake St. Claire with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in 2003, then the Upper Peninsula  in 2005 with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. 

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Keith V April 5, 2019

I love road trips. I have a small motorhome, it's comfortable and relatively cheap. It lets us stay in wooded campgrounds and still be warm,or cool, and dry. I also have Siruis radio so I get music anywhere :D

Driving the smaller secondary roads is where it's at. I live in Minnesota so Highway 61, the Michigan U.P. South Dakota Badlands. All wonderful drives.

I'm also a fan of Kentucky, the Appalachian mountains, Canada over the great lakes, so much to see so little time

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

A couple of summers ago my wife and I drove from El Paso, Texas through Phoenix, Arizona on the way to Las Vegas for a couple of days.  On the way back we were able to go through San Diego and see the zoo.  When stayed in the Aria in Vegas and had an excellent time.  Limiting our daily driving to 8 hours allowed us to balance the driving with fun experiences in each city.

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2020

Road trips were fun when I wanted to save money on airfare, but now I feel like I just want to get the most bang for my buck and for my time. Especially since it usually means spending money and time off of work.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events