Friday Fun: Riddle me this

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 15, 2018

Happy Friday, Funmakers! We had a Community Team offsite in Austin this week, and my mind feels primed for thinkin' from all the brainstorming we did! 

So, this week's Friday Fun thread will be devoted towards giving your brains a workout, too. In the comment section below, paste your favorite riddle/mind bender! See how long you can noodle on these before you turn to the Google gods for answers.

Here's mine: 

I have keys, but no locks and space, but no rooms. You can enter, but you can't go outside. What am I?

Have a nice weekend!!

Bridget

ezgif-4-0e36422c45.gif

9 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2018

Am I right in thinking that I am using one to answer?

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 15, 2018

;) Yes you are!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2018

Kewl, hope I have not ruined it for others!

Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2018

Good one @Bridget@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- first response might have helped a lot ;-)

Daniel Holmes June 21, 2018

I still had to think a bit.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2018

Oh! Nice one! 😅

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2018

My favourite riddle was more of a logic puzzle.  I first saw it in Doctor Who (Pyramids of Mars - mid-70s), but I suspect most people know it better from Labyrinth in the 80's.

There are two guards on your path.  One will let you pass, the other will not (The choice is between Heaven and Hell in Labyrinth).  You can ask one of them a single question.  You know that one always lies, and the other always tells the truth.  What do you ask?

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 17, 2018

I think you ask "would the other guard say s/he's in front of the right door?" and then somehow that tells you which door is which? 

I may need to rewatch Labyrinth.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Let's say you've got a blue door and a yellow door, and the blue door is the one you want to take.  So you ask either guard "what would your friend say is the good door?"

If you've spoken to the liar, they will lie about what the other one would say, which is "blue", so you will get the answer "Yellow"

If you've spoken to the truthful one, they will honestly report that the other one would say "Yellow".

So it doesn't matter which one you ask - just take the opposite door to what they say is the good one!

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2018

My favorite as a kid was: What's black and white and [red] all over?

Bridget
Community Manager
June 15, 2018

A sunburnt zebra!! 

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2018

A polar bear eating a penguin :)

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2018

A panda bear with a sunburn :)

Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

I love the variations here! 😅

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

Communist propaganda?

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

Ages ago, my brother and I would aggravate our grandmother by answering this riddle with either "a penguin or a nun in a blender". 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2018

These are all very creative but the answer is... a newspaper! [read=red, pun works better spoken]

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2018

Here is my favorite riddle/logic puzzle:

There are 8 people who have to cross the river on a raft.

1. Policeman
2. Thief
3. Father
4. Boy 1
5. Boy 2
6. Mother
7. Girl 1
8. Girl 2

The rules are:

Only two people can cross at a time.
Only the adults can operate the raft.
The father can’t be with the girls unless the mother is there.
The mother can’t be with the boys unless the father is there.
The thief can’t remain with anyone unless the policeman is present.

How do you get them all across?

Thing you can do it? Try it here

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 17, 2018

I tried many times and failed but I feel like I NEED TO JUST TRY HARDER. 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2018

Pretty hard - always ending up with chaos in my head

Marcos Sanchez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

That's the extreme version of the "Wolf-Sheep-Cabbage" riddle!! 😂😂

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2018

The Mother and Father go across. Mother stays and father goes back for two boys (one at a time). Then switches and the Mother goes back for the daughter, drops off the daughter, brings the father, switches out for the daughter, drops her off and comes back. Stays with the father while the policeman and their get across...but then I'm lost as to how the raft gets back over!

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2018

nevermind this is SO hard. I just tried it and none of the above worked.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 18, 2018

I can't figure it out at all @Scott Theus! Are you sure there's a solution?

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

@Monique vdB of course there's a solution :)

Giving up?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 18, 2018

Good work @Scott Theus

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2018

I just want to take a second to laugh at the animations. Everyone is just kicking each other in the head. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 19, 2018

@Scott Theus I'm not ready to give up but I'm so stuck! BUT I DO NOT SURRENDER.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
June 19, 2018

lol I finally give up! 

Paulo Alves June 20, 2018

This one was hard!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 21, 2018

This officially broke my brain and I gave up. lol, @Scott Theus!!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2018

Here's the solution (minus the rick-rolling :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glyUIAM7BSc

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 22, 2018

Thanks! I'm disappointed in myself for not being able to figure this out.... 

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2018

Here's mine:

It's shorter than the rest, but when you're happy, you raise it up like it's the best. What is it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

Oooh, I am thinking of something "digital" - could that be right?

Bridget
Community Manager
June 18, 2018

Love it @Omar Herrera! :thumbsup:

Marcos Sanchez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

Wow, that was a good one @Bridget!

Here's one of the first riddles that someone told to me:

Mom and Dad have four daughters, and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the family?

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

@Marcos Sanchezincluding Mom and Dad?

Marcos Sanchez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

Yes @Fabienne Gerhard, including Mom and Dad ;)

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

I would say seven....

Marcos Sanchez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

I think we have a winner @Fabienne Gerhard! :D 

Can you believe that it took two hours for me to get it? (On my defense I will say that I was 12 years old then, but now I'm 21 and I still have to think on it for a while >_< )

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2018

:D maybe it's because I'm 36.... so probably I heard something similar during my already long lasting life

Marcos Sanchez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2018

Yesss I heard some similar riddles like this one:

"Two Moms and two daughters ask for three chicken pieces and every one of them take one piece of chicken. How is this possible?" 

Emily Errico June 21, 2018

(This one is best told aloud, and quickly.)

You're driving a bus. At the first stop, 3 people get on. At the second, 5 people get on and 2 get off. At the third, 4 people get on and 3 people get off. At the fourth, 9 people get on and 5 people get off. At the fifth, 7 people get on and 3 people get off. At the sixth, 3 people get on and 3 get off.

What color is the bus driver's eyes?

Mesut Yilmazyildirim
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

:))

I was calculating while reading till the last sentences

@Mesut Yilmazyildirim Glad you like it! Here's a similar one:

There once was a one level house that was famous for being pink. The floors were pink, the walls were pink, all the furniture was pink, even the people who lived in it was pink! I kid you not; their hair was pink, their eyes were pink, their toes: pink!

What color were their stairs?

Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2018

Read it twice, even though I've heard it before :-)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 21, 2018

@Emily Errico I bet my 7-year-old will love these to tell at summer camp!

@Monique vdB Oh wow, I totally didn't get these from summer camp, I don't know what you're talking about.

A fun game to play in the same spirit is the hat game.

You start out in a circle and say something like, "I have a hat, I give it to Jeff. Jeff gives it to Mary, Mary gives it to Joe..." Naming off people in the circle and going on and on. At the end you say, "Okay, so who has the hat?"

Now this is the best part: the person to speak first is the person who has the hat. It literally has nothing to do with who had the hat at the end or any other pattern. Make sure you have someone in on it so you can prove that you're not just randomly picking a person every time.

This was one of my favorite camp games, as a first year and also as a counselor. It's a great way to get everyone bonding and also quickly figure out who likes logic puzzles and who's a quitter. :)

Emerson Charles Smith July 10, 2018

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events