Friday Fun: Resolutions Retrospective

zack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2019

It's that time again where we all make grand plans on how this year will be different. We've even had threads about it before, and posts about how to best tackle your resolutions.

It's good to look forward, but sometimes it can be just as valuable to look back. So, what I'm curious about is how your 2018 Resolutions panned out as we wrapped up the year last week. Good? Bad? Somewhere in-between?

For me, one of my main goals for 2018 was to read more. I set my goal at 18 books for the year. I only made it to 15, so while technically I failed, I still read more than I have in years! This year I'm recommitting to the reading goal, and shooting for 19. I think I can do it!

So, how did you do? And how will it inform your resolutions for this year?

5 comments

Comment

Deleted user January 3, 2019

Hope you get to number 19 @zack.

My resolution is to get two certifications; PMP and CSM.

Get certified in Confluence Administration.

Help users on the Atlassian community more 🙂

thanks 

Like BiancaE likes this
Deleted user January 3, 2019

My goal for 2018 was to find a position with a good company that could give me a challenge and where I would make a difference.  I'm delighted with the result.

My goal for 2019 is to find something positive in all circumstances.  I injured my knee just before Christmas and was in a wheelchair during the holidays.  As the New Year began, I found it very positive regarding how supportive friends, family and work colleagues were and how accommodating everyone was.  =)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2019

What a bummer @[deleted] but... with a new job and all that support, everything sounds awesome and positive. Good for you!

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 4, 2019

I'm surrounded by great people.  Now THAT's a blessing.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2019

In 2017 I stopped making new year's resolutions and started a Great Moment Jar... all the great moments that happened written on small bits of paper and placed in a jar to read at the end of the year to remind me how awesome the year was and awesome the next one is gonna be.

In Autumn of 2018 it turned into a little notebook.... so for 2019 I will just keep writing down all my Great Moments 😍📝

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 4, 2019

That's a great idea!  

Like # people like this
Danny Zuccaro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

I tried the same thing for 2018 Andy! Sadly I tailed off towards the end of the year but it was wonderful this week opening the jar and going through the moments I had in my jar. 

I've started another one for 2019 and I hope to be more diligent in updating it daily.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2019

That is awesome @Danny Zuccaro ! I don't come across many great-moment-jar accomplices so that is great to hear! 
Have fun with your 2019 one ! !

Here is one of my favourite and relevant GIFs to help keep you inspired throughout the year:

GreatMomentJar.gif

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

Hi @zack- I also had a resolution to read at least 1 book/month for 2019 in categories like Biography or History that I don't typically pick up for a quick read. It was a fun resolution and didn't seem like a burden since I love reading. Maybe I just needed the goal in order to prioritize more time consuming reads. Either way, it's working!

How are you choosing the books on your list to read?

Like # people like this
zack
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2019

I have a bad habit of buying books, and then not reading them. So for now, I'm strictly choosing from my own Kindle library. I have a hard time finding fiction that hooks me, so I'm always on the hunt for that.

This year, I'm following along with A Year of War and Peace. It's one chapter of War and Peace per day, everyday, for the year. The daily discussion threads have been fun to follow along with so far!

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2019

Super cool sub reddit- thanks for sharing! In a similar vein I'm following along with a Goodreads group on Middlemarch for the first 3 months of the year. It helps to break up these classics into smaller pieces and share with a group. The group is sponsored by the library so they are having a party in the middle of March (sadly I won't be able to attend, but it sure is creative!)

I've been borrowing ebooks on my kindle from the public library to prevent myself from going crazy on the purchasing books front. So far, it's great because I feel no guilt if I don't get to the book before it auto-returns. I just check it out again or get back on the list.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2019

I did the Unravel Your Year workbook by Susannah Conway the last few years and it focuses on that restrospective component. I found instead of having big resolutions these past few years I focused on forming healthy habits. I had read that it takes 21 days to make a habit and 90 days to have it part of your lifestyle and this way they were much easier to maintain - one day at a time.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events