Friday Fun: Our Friday Evening Traditions

Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

📆 Today's the day! Who's ready for another round of Friday Fun?

I know we've had so much FUN on the Community lately that it's possible we've had too much fun? Nah! I'm just kidding, as Tigger would say you can never have too much Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun... and before you ask, yes I'm a big fan of Winnie the Pooh, just ask my dog Eeyore 🤣

What's up with Friday, it's...

• The "day of Frig"
  • The day of the week before Saturday and following Thursday (in case you were unsure 😂)
  • The fifth and final day of the working week 
  • And the day of the week, research shows, people are at their happiest 

And I've got to admit that "Friday Feeling" is definitely there for me and my family, so much so we have our own weekly celebration to welcome in the Friday evening. Once the laptop is down, the loungewear is on, it's time for own little Holton tradition (soon to be revealed)!

So, whether you're a Friyay-er or a TGIF-er, I'd love to know if:

1. You share a Friday evening Tradition / Ritual / Celebration with friends or family alike?
  2. It has its own origin story?
  3. It's survived the test of time?

My Tradition: It's something we all know and I definitely love... Pizza and Wine 🍕 🍷

It may sound simple but Friday night is officially known as "Pizza and Wine Night" in our household and it's rarely missed, even if we're on holiday!

This little ritual of ours was probably started around the time I was 12 or 13 (you're trying to guess my age now right?), well fast forward to present day (I'm 27 going on 28) and it's still our own slice of pepperoni heaven after a long week at work. 

The Origin: It all started because my Dad worked away Monday to Friday, getting home just in time for dinner on a Friday night. This plus, my Mum also working all week and looking after the house, meant we wanted something quick, easy and of course tasty so we could spend most of our time catching up and sharing the week's stories. And the rest is history, whether we're near or far from each other we still enjoy a pizza and a glass of wine on a Friday. 

I'm glad you asked J-Law... in roughly 18 hours it'll be in my very happy belly, the countdown is most definitely on!

Happy Friday Folks, I'll be raising a glass and a slice to all who join my Friday Fun Challenge 🥳 🍕🍷

21 comments

Comment

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

f8c222e3fde4fa860ed8708464fa43fe.gif

Like # people like this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2022

Groovy!!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

@Pramodh M I can't tell you how much I enjoy Tom and Jerry 😄  tha gif just brings a smile to my face! 

So tell us, do you do anything to welcome in the weekend?

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Enjoying free time with animated shows 😃 Sometimes novels!!

It was fun when watching We Bare Bears 😄

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2022

Great topic and question @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_!

I will start by saying I think I fit much more in the Fri-YAY category!

From what I remember:

• Growing up, Fridays were movie & popcorn night (Though I was older than my kids are now, so that one may have to come back)!
  • In high school, since it wasn't a school night I was always up late playing games online with my friends (that one still happens from time to time, but as we all have other things going on now it's not consistently every Friday).
  • My first job coming out of college was in customer support for a software company.  Regular business hours were Mon. - Fri. 8am - 8pm.  As many of us were single and most of us lived within walking distance from the office, there were often times where we would play trashcan hockey (yes I'm Canadian) with a duct tap puck and mini sticks until the last support reps were done their shift then hit the local pub.

Now that, I'm married with two small children and COVID is still an issue where I live, we don't actually have any long standing traditions for Friday specifically.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Yay to the Friday 🥳  I've got to say Jimmy, trashcan hockey sounds awesome! The pubs not half bad either! That's such a cool and unique tradition... though I don't think I could get away with it here, I'd definitely get some odd looks from neighbours 😂

Like # people like this
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2022

Our current Friday evenings usually consist of a dusk drive through the hinterland/mountains - windows down, music up. It's a good covid safe way to unwind after a week sitting in a home office! This is a significant change from when a Friday evening was ordering take away and sitting at home cause we'd been in offices all week.

CCM

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

That sounds absolutely lovely 😍  definitely a great way to clear away the work week angst and get weekend ready!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

In Judaism, Friday night has great significance as the start of the Sabbath. While there are so many religious customs I could list, I'd prefer to share something more personal.

One of the great aspects of Sabbath is disconnecting. My family and I are running around all week - work, school, activities - but that all comes to an abrupt stop on Friday night. After dinner we all retire to the couches and chairs in the living room, pull out books, magazines and board games and finally get to enjoy each other's company. My wife and I get to see how our children have matured and are growing up (too fast!) and the conversations are usually a spectrum of hilarious to existential, and provide us with family time we would never have otherwise.

Thanks for allowing me to appreciate these moments more by thinking about them during the week @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_

download.png

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

That's a wonderful way to spend a Friday night 😊  I love how each tradition is a little different but at the base of it all is being able to spend some quality time with our family and/or friends and being able to disconnect in various ways (something I know I don't do enough even with New Year resolutions!)

Thank you so much for sharing Andy, I hope you have a lovely evening with the family 💙

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

@Andy Gladstone you're seriously fulfilling my love for Winnie the Pooh these last 24 hours!!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 7, 2022

@Andy Gladstone I absolutely love this, such a beautiful tradition! We haven't been to a Shabbos dinner in a long time (blah blah pandemic blah blah) but they are always so meaningful. 

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

@Monique vdB well, if your ever in NYC (if we ever travel anywhere again...) you have an open invitation!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 7, 2022

@Andy Gladstone our next team offsite will likely be in NYC! I don't know when it will happen but I'll bring the Manischewitz.  😉

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

That's a great Friday Fun post, @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ and I am loving reading the Friday evening traditions of others.

My family and I do not have any such historic Friday evening tradition as such, but for sure, my family and I are in the happiest, celebrating, and relaxing mood on a Friday evening and always try to find out some ways to spend this evening together in a fun way often accompanied with some good food ordered from outside.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

little-green-men-aliens-1.gif

Look food. From the outside. Ooooooooooooh. - Exactly where my brain went when I read food ordered from outside 😂  sorry Taranjeet, I couldn't help myself!

Well if you ask me that sounds like a great Friday evening, is there a family preference for food or is it anyone's choice when the evening arrives?

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Well, since we all kind of have different food preferences, we normally tend to order different food items for the family members based on their choice. But when it comes to having a craving for a Pizza on a Friday, we all agree on the same food item. But instead of wine (I am not a wine person, but would like to explore more if someone could guide me on this...), I usually prefer Scotch, Irish Whiskey or simply a beer :-)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Like # people like this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
January 8, 2022

Do you suppose that beer was drunk through a straw - the pan and glasses didn't budge.... 🤔

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

Hi @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ 

I love this theme and it has made me remember that in my house there is the tradition of every night, the potato omelette and then a good family movie lying on the sofa, in addition to having dinner in peace, without rushing because the next day there is no to get up early

Happy friday night everyone

Cheers

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
January 8, 2022

mmmm donuts.gif

mmmmm potato omelette

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

There's no better formula... family, food, peace and quiet and of course the lie in 🤩  It's always a great feeling when you don't have to get up early the next day, makes Friday evenings even sweeter! 

That's the perfect gif @Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ I was doing exactly that 😅

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Hmmm... no real true traditions here in this household for Fridays...!
We love movie nights on the weekends though
Thanks to Disney+ we are going through all the classics with the kids!

And in terms of day time... Fridays are defintiely more an admin day and when I can commit a large chunk of time to planning Atlassian Community Events!!!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

@Fun Man Andy that is an AMAZING idea. Disney Classics are great for the whole family - even the big kids that would say they don't want to watch would likely have their hands deep in the popcorn bowl!

I think I'm going to steal this idea. Maybe make a Trello Board to keep track of them and let the family vote on which one we screen (just not on Friday nights!).

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Wow.. you took an amazing idea and DOUBLED it... @Andy Gladstone !!!!

Love the idea of a Trello for organizing that...! I think you're onto something there. Potential for an unbelievably amazing template.

One might even say it would be:

Amazaballz_FMA_ii.gif

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2022

Nice!  Disney+ has so much great content.  Both new and old.

Like Fun Man Andy likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Disney films are a great Friday night watch 😍  you can never be too old for that! What Classic was up this week?

Also, just have to say the combination and Trello and Disney+ can only go one way... to infinity and beyond!! I absolutely love this idea @Andy Gladstone 🙌

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

Actually, this weekend we ditched the classics and went for brand new.... but we can't talk about that, because:

WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUUUUNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

🤐🤫😂

bruno-vassup.gif

Like Marjorie likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 7, 2022

For years before we had our daughter, my husband and I would order our favorite pepperoni and pineapple pizza from a local pizzeria, watch Mad Men, and drink Belgian beer.  

Now we do family movie night or games night (we let the kiddo pick) and order takeout.  

yumm.gif

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2022

YES!!! Pineapple!

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
January 8, 2022

Of course, pineapple!!!!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Yay another one for the pineapple on pizza club 🥳  It gets a lot of bad press but I think it's great, I always get excited for when we order a pizza in and I build it up from scratch! 

That sounds truly lovely @Monique vdB, I hope you had a great evening 😊

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

Buongiorno: qual è il cazzo?!! Descendant of an Italian here to inform y'all, that, whilst people are entitled to their own opinions and tastes, you are all wrong.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZML1oBRp2/ la madonna!

🇮🇹🍕🍍⛔️

(You MUST follow @lionfiledmusic: their pro-Italy-anti-the-world's-views-of-Italy-propaganda is Next leBel!!)

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

@Monique vdB - I know someone who had pineapple pizza tonight - yes, on a Friday!

I'm covering their eyes to protect their identity FYI

pineapple.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 24, 2022

@Dave Liao what a mysterious person! He has excellent taste, whoever he is. 😉

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2022

For Dave and all the other Pineapple Pizza loving peeps out there... it is "trash". Not my words; I quoted Italians:

https://www.facebook.com/lionfieldmusic/videos/ordering-pineapple-pizza-in-italy/481330279675144/

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

We just spend time as a family.  Dinner, movie, attending a sporting game, etc.  

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Sounds pretty perfect to me, that's what it's all about 😄

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Growing up for me, it was high school football on Friday nights. And rekindled again when one of my boys ended up playing. Outside of that, it's usually just a time to relax from the week and watch a movie or something else mindless. 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

That's so sweet to hear the tradition has almost been passed down to your kids 💙  on top of that Friday feeling a bet you get a few proud Dad moments that make it even greater!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Our Friday nights are very variable, heavily influenced by our own lives before we met, and the patterns have changed.

Chrissy had a much more modern English upbringing than I did, she grew up in a family where Friday night was the end of the working week for both school-kids and her mother, and mostly her dad too.

I, however, grew up in a more traditional pattern which meant Friday was still a school night, as we went to school on Saturday, and then I went on to get a career that's absolutely not time predictable on top of that.  My family tradition was that Dad would get a take-away for Saturday lunch when I got home from school, usually hitting up a chippy.

Chrissy works hard during the week and shuts down for a break very hard.  I smear my work across all of the time I have and don't really shut down over a "normal" weekend.  So our Fridays have four regular patterns:

• I cook with wine (sometimes it goes in the food) while Chrissy has an end-of-week-totally-exhausted nap or relaxation time with the cats
  • Chrissy cooks a pizza or Chinese dish and we both relax.  (By "cooks", I mean "orders food for delivery")
  • I work, she cooks for herself
  • We go out to meet friends for drinkies in a place we can order food from.
Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

It's like tradition roulette... the question is where did the ball land this week?

😂  tradition 1 tickled me, mainly because I cook with wine too though most times it seems to evaporate before it makes it into the food! Whether it was T1, T2, T3 or T4 (feeling more like Thunderbirds than traditions at this point!) I hope you had a great Friday night!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Pizza last week :-)    This week, we may be out for one of our friends celebrating finalising getting her new house!  If not, then it will probably be me setting fire to a salad again...

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2022

🍻 My Fridays usually involve visiting my local bars (anything within a 30-minute commute!).

🔍 Lately, Fridays also involve asking myself why I have so many browser tabs open.

I review each tab, figure if there's a Next Action, store that on my to-do list, then close the tab.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2022

LOL! I know people who are like this, somehow I've never fallen into this trap.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Solutions Partner
January 8, 2022

Groooaaaannn. Not something I would ever consider for a precious Friday night - the browser tabs that is. I avoid it as much as possible even!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Which comes first the bar or the browsers because it could be an interesting mix if it's after a 🍺  or two. Though if I did browser tabs first I think I would need a drink after that... I have way too many but I've got to admit they are satisfying to close when you can do a lot of them in one go 😅

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

@Dave Liao - buddy, you need Trello and the Chrome Extension to turn open tabs into cards.

Aaaiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

@Fun Man Andy - WAIT, THAT'S A THING?

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2022

@Dave Liao - yes... 💯💫👌

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/add-to-trello/engmocckoohpopiacajolojeobefbcec

Trello is the BEST...! If you can't use Trello itself, use a PUp. If you can't use a PUp, use a Chrome extension. And if the Chrome extension doesn't exist, go build it yourself 😅

PS: despite the weird looking URL, it is NOT click-bait to a video of me dancing in my Speedos. That stuff doesn't need URLs.. it just gets embedded straight into Community comments.... 😎

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2022

Now that I am an empty-nester I don't really have a Friday night ritual. When I was growing up I remember going out to the local fish camp at the nearby lake. Friday Night Fish Night! I loved it and cherish the memories. With my kids it would usually be Tex-mex night with margaritas, but not for the kids. 😆

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Those are awesome traditions @Jack Brickey (and not just for the margaritas!) 😋

Fun Fact, in many places across the world Friday night has been the traditional night to eat fish. 

Like # people like this
Dana M_ Jansen January 8, 2022

Friday is "Date Night" for my husband and I.  We've been doing it for years - even before we became empty-nesters.  All my friends (esp. my girl friends) know - Don't ask Dana to go out for girl's night on Friday night - cause that's Date Night (and yes the capitals are on purpose :D)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

I love that 💙  It shows just how much of a tradition it is when even the girls know not to throw other plans into the mix.

Here's to your Friday Date Night 🥂

Solutions Partner
January 8, 2022

Nice topic! Friday nights are my fave time of the week. Similar to @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_  we do a "easy food" and beer thing, and like @Dana M_ Jansen  its a bit of a date night thing. This week it was hot dogs, often its chips (as in hot and baked, some kind of dipping sauce, such as curry sauce), and some times even pizza (and as previously discussed, MUST have pineapple XD, and is homemade). We watch a bit of teev, and breath a sigh of relief that it is the end of the week... wondering how its the end of another week already.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

"wondering how its the end of another week already" - that's a phrase so often used in our Friday evenings, but seriously how do they go by so quickly?!

You can't get much better than that @Linda Milne_Togetha Group_, it's really lovely to see little parts of each tradition sneak into each and every one of ours! A belated happy Friday Linda 🥳

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

As promised, we raised a glass (not quite the slice, sorry!) to you all and from my family to yours Happy Friday Night Tradition Night 🥳 🍕🍷

IMG_1671.jpg

@Pramodh M @Jimmy Seddon @Craig Castle-Mead @Andy Gladstone @Taranjeet Singh @Vero Rivas @Fun Man Andy @Monique vdB @Brant Schroeder @John Funk @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Dave Liao @Jack Brickey @Dana M_ Jansen @Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ Thanks for making my Friday Fun session fun 🤩

And Just Because it's Friday and you guys shared some awesome traditions to boot, I couldn't help but throw a little Kudos your way 😁

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

I hope it was as tasty as it looks @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Oh it really was and there were more slices to follow 😋

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Pizza party! ❤️

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Love this! The pizza looks good.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 10, 2022

@Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ I don't see any pineapple on the pizza but I love this picture anyway! 😊

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Unfortunately not this week @Monique vdB, it was a bit of a majority vote type situation. I made up for it though I made sure the above gif has pineapple on the pizza instead 😅

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Ooh, now I know what to get for lunch tomorrow...

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

SALUTI ! ! !

And not a Pineapple to be found in the Holton household. The Ancestors are appeased 😂🇮🇹👏

(Although that GIF... 🙃)

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2022

@Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ No Friday tradition here but this actually makes me want to change it! 😍

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

@Svenja Lorenzen You could make a mega Friday tradition if you combine an element from everyone 😅

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2022

I don't have any Friday traditions, but it was fun to read all the posts.

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2022

I am a FRI-YAYer....

1. Growing up we watched "Make me Laugh" and "Soap" with my mom and sisters. We had popcorn and crawled into mom and dad's bed and watched.  We mostly laughed at my sister Cheri who has a very infectious laugh.  
  2. My dad worked nights and this is how it helped mom take care of 3 young girls.
  3. Now that we are adults, we have our own families. It did not survive on Fridays, we ended up having Movie Night when my kids were at home.  Once a week on person picked the video we would watch, plan the dinner and we would have a night in as a family.
Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2022

First of all, stellar gif!

Secondly, i honestly vary every Friday 😂 depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm still like in a work zone and wanna knock out some side project stuff. And sometimes i just wanna completely avoid work and play video games and/or watch tv with my partner!

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2022

I don't have any Friday night traditions, but I guess it'd be nice to start one!  In the past I've done "junk food night" with my wife. :D

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2022

That's basically every night for me. ;-)

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events