Friday Fun: One fictional gadget is all you need to make your life wonderful

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2020

Computers and technology industry is always inspired by fictional gadgets that were once part of movies, shows, books and comics. Few examples are,

• Tablet computer `PADD from Star Trek` (today's iPad)
  • HAL 9000 a voice activated computer from Space Odyssey (kind of Siri, Alexa and Google Assistant)
  • 3D printers from various movies
  • Video call from Space Odyssey (today's FaceTime, Skype, and more)
  • Smart watches from comics as early as 1930's (today's Apple Watch, Android Watch etc)

What is one fictional gadget you want to own or want to see become a reality?

My choice is a Light Saber, and I wish I can move it like mighty Master Yoda.

Remember, answer to every thing in this community is also 42 :-)

28 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2020

@DPKJ I think you just named everyone's #1 gadget, let's be honest who doesn't want a light saber.

On a more functional perspective, part of me thinks a sonic screwdriver could be fun to have:

419YethF6hL._AC_SL1001_

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

I was sure about you @Jimmy Seddon aka Chief Ninja of the community!!!

Like # people like this
David Willson January 16, 2020

Doesn't work on wood :D

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon It's not the real thing, but it's a start.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

Yes! I won a gift card to a local VR game cafe at our company Christmas party, my wife and I are planning to go soon and I definitely want to try that!

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

Don't forget to share details with us!!

Like Zak Laughton likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

I would like to have a "transporter" as seen in Star Trek movies.

I can use it to travel to any part of the world.

Imagine just after I post this answer and use the Transporter and meet you guys @DPKJ and @Jimmy Seddon :-)

By the way, may the force be with you!

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

Nice choice, reading about difference between, "Transporter" and "Quantum Teleportation Device" might entice you (nice geek stuff :-) )

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

That is a good point @Deepanshu Natani though I don't know how a feel about having my molecules scrambled and thrown through space ;)

Like DPKJ likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 16, 2020

Oh a transporter! Yes!

Like # people like this
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

Yeah this is really tops on my list too!  I'm all ready to "beam" up!

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

Nope, not me. I'd end up like Jeff Goldbloom in "The Fly."

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

giphy

Oh no!!!!

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2020

Oh man, so many:

• Mr Fusion - Back to the Future
  • Transporters - Star Trek
  • Replicators from - Start Trek

To name a few.

But I would have to say the Med Bay from Elysium. Having lost someone to Cancer makes you wish there was some magical, or in this case technological, cure that could get rid of any ailments. Of course, like Elysium, even if it did exist, it would probably only be available to only the wealthiest of people. 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

@Dharma Ramos  Sorry for the loss.

I never thought it like this, my Grand Father had brain-tumor, as per doctors it was never fully cured. Now, I wish to have same gadget. He was my hero.

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

Sorry for both of you on your losses. 

Mr. Fusion would be super cool, and could help with some eco-issues, like overflowing garbage dumps to some degree in addition to removing reliance on fossil fuels. 

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2020

Nice one, this way everyone will have happy life.

Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

I absolutely need a portal gun.

portal gun.jpg

Like # people like this
Dara January 16, 2020

I second this! All the times when I could see my train on the other platform but couldn't get to it on time... Though technically that would only work if everything was covered in toxic moon-dust, but hey, that's a technicality :p.

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2020

Train and platform, and your idea reminded me of platform 9 and 3/4 for Hogwarts Express. :-)

Like Dara likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

I don't know if you would call it a gadget or not, but I need one of those personal space crafts on the Jetsons to skip over traffic on the daily commute!

Jetsons.jfif

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

Genuine problem!

Celina Zamora January 16, 2020

Definitely a transporter like Star Trek. Hands down. 

Like # people like this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

I would have to Go with a TARDIS, its kinda an all in one option....... It would come with the ability to travel anywhere in the universe at any point in time and include a record of the universe past and present including the plans for making a sonic screwdriver, ability to generate new rooms with items that you may need for your adventures or food, as well as granting anyone that enters the ability to understand and communicate in all languages effortlessly,  and I mean come on its bigger on the inside :) 

download.jpg

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

For sure this thing is big inside. :-)

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2020

I am slightly late to this party but a) I am interested to see so many similar "wishes" and b) had almost the same ones myself. For me

• Transit disks from "Ringworld" in a style where they are on street corners with a cardinal entry/exit such that a step takes you immediately to the next street corner in that cardinal direction. Removes the need for cars, public transit (actually would become the public transit) while making an entire city the "walkable neighborhood)
  • Transit booths such as found in "Pillars of Eternity" where one steps into a phone booth, dials the number and you go to that place. Removes the need for all manner of transport, not to mention the time involved getting from place to place.
  • Compressed space from the "Walter Stickle" trilogy where, like the Tardis, space inside a room is as big as needed/desired. Could have a highly dense population base where all live on an acreage inside their "door"
Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

You need everything :-)

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 16, 2020

It will be great when universal translators improve and are readily available.

There are so many people I'd love to have a short chat with where they can speak comfortably in the language of their choosing while allowing me to hear and process language with my mono-linguistic English brain.

One reason I started using "Kat" was that it was easy to pronounce for a wide range of language speakers and 'miaow' to confirm how it is said is nearly universally amusing. I did this when I started working a retail job in a multi-cultural area and it helped out people at ease.

Image result for babel fish image

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

SPACE SHIP TO WATER SHIP

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2020

Ah yeah!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2020

Ahh, the Babel fish, a great invention for what it is for, and proves every religion is wrong as a by-product.

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2020

Nice religion theory!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 20, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - feel free to PM me on ACL Slack, but how does the Babel fish "proves every religion is wrong as a by-product"?

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2020

Nic have solution, always :-)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2020

I am always saying, "If only I had a teleporter", so that's what I would go with, but hey maybe I should have been saying all along "If only I had a transporter". Maybe then I would have been gifted one by now ;)

teleporter.jpg

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

If you won't let me have a TARDIS (ideally, one as advanced as the Master's, rather than a clapped out type 40), then the next thing on the list is a berth on the "Grey Area", and in third place, living with any GSV.

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  and what time frame you are looking to visit?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2020

Most of them

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2020

:-)

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 16, 2020

I am really interested in transportation and logistics.  I would love to see additional methods of traversing around the globe cheaper, cleaner, and more efficiently.  A super fast flying transporter that could carry a ton of people and run off of electricity seems pretty exciting to me! 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

@Tim Keyes  I think you will be the first to see your wish come true :-)

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 16, 2020

I am pretty practical person. Maybe I need to wish bigger! Teleporters would be nice too!

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

@Tim Keyes  Way to go!

Like # people like this
Dara January 17, 2020

Not sure if it counts as a gadget, 'cause it's technically a creature (though it's used like a gadget, much like the Hitchiker's Guide's Babel Fish), but I'd love to have a Convertor, from the Valerian and Laureline comics.

GrumpyConverter         Converter valerian

Besides it being absolutely adorable, obviously, it's also just so useful!. For those that don't know, the Converter can take any object and multiply it. It's canonically dubbed the 'Grumpy Converter' because it's not always very compliant. But it's shown in the comics that when it is treated well, and given lots of energy to recharge itself, it is actually quite helpful and loyal.

I do a lot of craft projects. Not having to make multiples of something, and basically having infinite supplies would be pretty awesome! Not to mention that money wouldn't really be an issue anymore XD.

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

@Dara  Everything counts, so worries. Nice choice!

Like # people like this
Boris MBOUMEHANG
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

Very nice topic @DPKJ ! 
I definetely need a time traveling machine, like in "Timeless" (netflix series).

Timeless-Final.jpg

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

@Boris MBOUMEHANGhaven't seen the series but I got the idea of time-machine. :-)

Like Boris MBOUMEHANG likes this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

The ultimate "42" gadget. It basically does anything and everything you need or want to do or have done...  ;) 

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

...Until it gets blown up to make room for an intergalactic highway. (And don't for get your towel.)

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2020

:-) nice idea!

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

I want something like this :D 

-Sri

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

So much stuff is going on here!!!

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2020

Count me as interested too :)

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2020

Sri and Fernando, now let's make a Kickstarter campaign for this.

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

I'm going to stick with the Star Trek theme and say I want my very own personal holodeck. I could have an exercises program like Worf's in "Where Silence has Lease," have shoot-out in the Old West like "A Fistfull of Datas," sail a 18th Century Brig like in "Generations," and make my own programs to kayak wherever there is white water.

With all the safety protocols engaged, of course. 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

:-) Nice.

Like Sri Kumar likes this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Didn't the holodeck malfunction a few times in Generations--trapping users inside in deadly scenarios? Not sure the safety protocols were all that safe... ;)

Like # people like this
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
January 17, 2020

I want a dream-sharing machine, Portable Automated Somnacin IntraVenous Device (PASIV) from Inception. 😊

I think it would be super cool to be able to experience someone else’s dream - very fascinating. 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

@Poorvi Jhawar  All for the dreams, you reminded me of John Lennon.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

Like # people like this
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
January 20, 2020

@DPKJ 

Hahaha, I LOVE HIM! Now that you say it out loud - he could be a contributing factor :D

Like DPKJ likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2020

I've read through the whole thread expecting for my wish gadgets to have been named and to my surprise, not there yet!!!! 😮

Was I the only one dreaming of someday moving around the city like Marty McFly?

giphy (1).gif

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2020

Hover board :-)

You will be early everywhere!

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2020

ooof...I'd break my neck for sure. 

Like # people like this
Carla_Cox January 20, 2020

I would have so many accidents with such skate board... eventually I would die. I did dream about it as a kid, but my favorite B2F invention was the DeLorean! :D 

Like # people like this
Carla_Cox January 20, 2020

I always had this idea of a fictional device that could scan my printed books to help me search for terms or phrases, the same way you actually do it on digital copies. It would save so much of my time! Not sure how that could work though, somehow it would have to be able to scan the entire book to search for its content... maybe with a super sensitive laser reader... IDK :P 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2020

Nice one @Carla_Cox  and I think that is pretty much a possibility.

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2020

I agree with @DPKJ that we will see this one day!

Like # people like this
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2020

Found a device, and it's not fictional! Couldn't find a price, but it can't be cheap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ccxwNssmo

Like DPKJ likes this
Carla_Cox January 22, 2020

Ooooh 😍, but it doesn't look like it's on sale yet. It's a prototype, and apparently the same one since 2012?? I should research it. Thank you for bringing this up to my attention! There's a super awesome invention I had followed for about a decade. It became a reality last year, a portable camera printer with the spacial movement technology of a computer mouse, with a special ink that allows to print in ANY surface and can I can keep talking about it. It's called PrintBrush by PrintDreams

Like # people like this
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2020

WHOA. Mind blown. This PrintBrush is incredible!

Like DPKJ likes this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2020

I think it'd be wonderful to have a bag with an infinite amount of space inside (but it never gets heavier), like Mary Poppins' bag or Hermione's charmed bag in the sixth Harry Potter book.

I use public transportation, so to be able to go to from the gym to work to school or some other exhausting combination without having to schlep multiple bags around would be wonderful. I'd have tons of snacks (in bulk, minimizing packaging!), a whole place setting and silverware, multiple outfit changes, a yoga mat, all my study materials... I'd be ready for anything my day throws at me!

Yes, I could just teleport to and from wherever instead...but this seems more realistic. ;) 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2020

Oh! your are the first to take a Harry Potter route :-)

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2020

I think I'd have to say I would like one of these ... with a genie inside of course.

image.png

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2020

@Davin Studer  if we may know what are three wishes?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

Hmmm. Probably something like this.

1. I would wish to be a billionaire. I know it sounds trite and greedy, but I would love to be able to have the funds to actually help others in a meaningful way. It would be nice to also not have to stress about money and be able to spend more time with my family.
  2. The self discipline to not become greedy with the billions that I have.
  3. I would of course wish to set the genie free. : )
Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

One could simplify the billionaire bit by taking the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy approach where one has the "Galacticard that keeps on working even though you never send in the payments".

Then one can spend money without having to WORRY about money. 

Like DPKJ likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

Maybe, but then I would not ACTUALLY be paying for anything. I'd be racking up debt and depriving someone of the payment they deserve. My hunch is, my second wish would then prevent me from actually using the card. Which would effectively negate both wishes and I all would have done is set the genie free ... which is still good, but less so. : )

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Great going!

When you let Genie free don't forget to give him address of Mike :-)

Like Emily Koch likes this
Jason H
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2020

A speeder-bike (hover-bike) as seen in Star Wars:

Image result for hover bike star wars

But it looks like the Dubai Police might beat me to it:

Related image

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Ha ha ha! Dubai is next level.

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2020

I will take one of these:

ironman.png

With the upgrade :)

Gauntlet.png

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2020

I wish you only get the first one :-)

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Agreed, as much as I'd like to shorten dividing up work, have you seen what that gauntlet can do to people?

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2020

I think the universal remote control from the movie "Switch/Click" was pretty cool, without its side effects! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZNC5emNyEQ

MV5BMTA1MTUxNDY4NzReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDE3ODAxNw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2020

Adam Sandler in the house, 'Bath, Bed and Beyond.........'

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events