Friday Fun: New Year's Resolutions!

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 4, 2018

Happy 2018, everyone! 

I was inspired by the intensity at which a Software Engineer on Jira Service Desk went about setting his New Year's Resolutions. It is clear that he is a seasoned goal-setter, and that a lot of thought and self-awareness went into his resolutions.

In 2018, I'd like to spend my time more intentionally + focus on learning and doing more of the things I'm passionate about. That previous statement might have been my resolution before reading Martin's blog, but now I realize in order to actually work towards that I will need a more actionable goal. So,

Bridget's 2018 Resolution:

Every evening I will quickly summarize (writing or drawing) my thoughts, feelings or learnings from the day. 

san-fransisco-firework1.jpg

What's your New Year's Resolution??

Cheers,

Bridget

10 comments

Comment

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Love that resolution, @Bridget! 2017 was my Year of Firsts, where I challenged myself to do a bunch of new things. I think 2018 I want to KonMari my life — if it doesn't bring me joy (possessions, activities, habits, even people), it's gotta go! Cheers to an awesome new year. 🎉

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 4, 2018

@Erica Moss KonMari is one of mine this year too! 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Twinsies. 👯

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 4, 2018

For real.

mk.jpg

Jane Bothell January 4, 2018

I've been very intrigued with the KonMari philosophy too! I might just tact it on my goal for 2018.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 4, 2018

@Jane Bothell we can all form a support group! 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2018
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

Never heard of KonMari before, I've googled it and yes, that's interesting. I'm thankful that we don't have a cellar or an attic, so I can't collect so many things. I also sell older board games, if the new ones do not fit  into my  (big) shelf anymore. 

But I think it's much more than removing things, it's another way of changing habits if you feel stuck and that's always a good idea. So good luck with that! 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 4, 2018

I do 10 resolutions per year because I am an overachiever! ☺️  One of mine this year is to cook a new recipe every month.

Last night I made "extra-easy lasagna" and it came out a little messy, but tasted delicious! You can do a lot with this basic recipe, like fancy it up with onions and garlic, or use veggie crumbles for a vegetarian version.  I did the basic, plain, my-six-year-old-may-actually-eat-this version. It was a hit!

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 10.35.07 AM.png

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2018

I think my invite got lost in the mail. 🤔

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 4, 2018

I will make you some one of these days!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

Mine is lost also  😄

Let's meet and eat Italian Food in San Francisco (or in Hamburg, it's nice here also, but the weather is definitely better in California...)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel That sounds perfect.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 18, 2018

@Bridget I felt the need to come back and tell you I've made progress on every single one of my 10 resolutions in January. This is very satisfying. 

patself on back.gif

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2018

Congratulations, @Monique vdB!

Hope, you have not just a machine patting on your back 😀

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

I made a resolution about 9 years ago - to not make any more resolutions.  I'm still going strong.

I do set myself birthday goals though - by birthday time next year I will have learned/read/done/been-to something.  I find resolutions a bit too fuzzy and prefer measurable goals.

Bridget
Community Manager
January 4, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- respect. Did you read this post? Software Engineer on Jira Service Desk sets New Year's Resolutions.

I think y'all would get along ;). 

Jane Bothell January 4, 2018

I do the birthday goals, too @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

I just knew someone had to go meta on this one :)

Emily Errico June 21, 2018

I do birthday resolutions too! One New Year's, I realized I had no attachment to this arbitrary date where society starts a new year. Birthday resolutions make a lot more sense, to me anyways.

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

I need to play more music this year. It just has to happen. 

We have two young kids with sleep schedules that make playing drums and cranking up amps in the house nearly impossible. Gotta find a way. Gotta find a way. It makes everything better.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 4, 2018

You clearly need a soundproofed man-cave.* 

(*person-cave?) 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2018

I don't have any resolutions carved in stone. The last resolution that really lasted for long (and up to now) was to give up smoking. And that was 15 years ago...

But of course, I also do my best to be a good friend, husband, teacher, colleague or whatever without loosing myself. Try to have fun, get to know other people better, make friends, laugh, don't hurt anyone. 

You may call that KonMari, others call it "Simplify your life" (this was a big bestseller in Germany, yes, with exact that English title, Germans like English titles for their books and movies...) but in the end it's all about listening to yourself and have respect for other people. The truth is somewhere in between.

So, my thought of the day.

(But of course, this year also, I want to loose weight, do more sport, make regular backups, avoid stress, same as every year) 

Have a great new year everyone! With our without resolutions...

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

"Listening to yourself" — love that, @Thomas Schlegel!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2018

I'm setting only one tactical but important goal - Finally make a decision and where I want to live for the next 10+ years! Stay in Austin or relocate back to North Carolina. It seems simple enough but continues to elude me. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

I'm planning to visit Austin in the next couple of months, so maybe stick around until then. 😁

Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2018

Austin's been my home for 8 years now and I loved every moment of it! @Erica Moss - whenever you're in town, let me know!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

@Test User KL I definitely will!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2018

oh definitely! maybe we can get some of the Austin Community folks together for a beverage after work. ;-)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

@Jack Brickey Done and done!

Danny Zuccaro
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2018

Happy new year everyone! My resolutions are usually carry overs each year - travel more than the previous year and the lifelong struggle to be healthier and lose weight. At least the travel part is happening and fun :). 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

Happy New Year, @Danny Zuccaro!

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

Happy new year!

I like @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 's resolution not to take resolutions, safest mindset I guess :)

As usual, focus on bringing joy to my family, getting a career I like and finding what's my next step and finally make the move. It's so hard to predict what's going next those days!

Anyway, best wishes to all of you and may 2018 be better than 2017!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

We look forward to seeing even more of you in 2018, @miikhy! 🎉

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2018

I have a goal more than a resolution. And my goal is to find a goal!

Until now, my goals have been... more subjective than objective, and with that kind of goals is harder to keep your feet on the ground. For example, last year I went for my driving license to save 2 hours per day in go and back for my job, and when I changed my job, I left my driving test undone.

This year, I want to set a goal strong enough to motivate me through these kind of "daily issues".

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2018
Rethabile Morena January 11, 2018

Happy new 2018 everybody.

My goal this year is to disown anything and everything that interrupts my spiritual being from peace. I have embarked on a lifestyle of fasting and meditating and it has personally resulted in me being a happier, content person. 

My message to the community is to have peace of mind above everything else.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2018

Not easily achieved, but so important to one's overall well-being. Thanks for sharing, @Rethabile Morena!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events