Friday Fun: National Holiday in Your Country

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Having lived close to the Canadian border and had a lot of Canadian friends Canada day has proven to be a very popular national holiday.

Canadians celebrate Canada Day on July 1st. The day commemorates the anniversary of the Constitution Act, which consolidated three territories into the single nation of Canada, in 1867.

Flags, food, and activities like parades are an important part of this celebration. I have come to love poutine and beaver tails and the extreme clothing representing the flag/maple leaf that my Canadian friend wear.

flag-Canadian-celebrations-Canada-Day

Here are the questions.

• What is your country's favorite recognized national holiday?
  • What do you do to celebrate?
  • Are there any customs that you particularly enjoy?

7 comments

Comment

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

I would have to say Veterans Day in the United States for selfish and unselfish reasons. The selfish reason is it is my birthday. The unselfish reasons are obvious and my father is a veteran of the US Air Force. Every year on my birthday we call each other and he says "Happy Birthday" and I say "Happy Veterans Day" and ask him where he is going this year to get free stuff. Veterans Day (November 11th) is a a federal holiday in the United States that is meant to honor all veterans of the uniformed services who served or are still serving during times of peace as well as war. Veterans Day has its origins at the end of World War I when at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the fighting ended with the signing of an armistice. On Veterans Day in the US, many companies give away freebies such as coffee, donuts, meals, etc. 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

Veterans day is a great holiday.  Great story about your dad and you.  Thank your father for his service it is greatly appreciated.  

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2022

When I was younger this holiday was also celebrated in Canada. 
It is named Remembrance Day here. 
It's different now, and although recognized with a lot of formal ceremony, it is not a national holiday with only a couple of provinces' deeming it an official holiday.

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

The national holiday in Belgium is July 21st. Apart from the traditional military parade, I usually celebrate it as the yearly start of my summer holiday.

Although every week has room to enjoy our national dish, the national holiday is the time to go out and have some extra toppings and side dishes with it ...

images (2).jpeg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

@Brant Schroeder you stole my Miscellaneous Monday post! I literally had this same theme tee'd up and ready for publishing this Sunday afternoon. I guess I can comfort myself and say 'great minds think alike' (while I try for a new Monday theme).

I'm with @Summer_Hogan here, but for different, albeit also selfish, reasons. Veterans Day is one of only a few days each year that our kids are IN school, but my wife and I are both off. Since it's in November, the weather can be spotty - but usually we are able to get out on a hike in the fall foliage. Swishing the multi-colored leaves with our feet through forests that are already becoming less dense in the crisp autumn air is a slice of heaven. Usually followed by a nice lunch and nap!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

That is two for veterans day, sorry I stole your post.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2022

@Andy Gladstone and @Brant Schroeder - great minds think alike! 

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2022

Let's go Canada!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2022

Great topic @Brant Schroeder!

I hope everyone in North America enjoyed the long weekend!  Canada Day is my mom's birthday, so I rather enjoy that one as we get together with family and it always ends in fireworks!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2022

For me in the United States, it is indeed Independence Day or the 4th of July. I love to watch really well done fireworks shows of any kind. There's usually good food (meaning grilling something) and gathering of family and friends. It's easily the best day of the summer. 

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2022

In Bulgaria, we celebrate Liberation Day as our national holiday. It's March 3rd, and on this day in 1878, Bulgaria was proclaimed an independent state after more than 500 years of Ottoman rule. 
The celebration is mainly connected with tributes to the memory of those who died for the freedom of Bulgaria hosted around the country. 

Since it's a public holiday, we often just relax or use it to contribute to a good cause.

shipka-3-mart-1.jpeg

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2022

Thanks for sharing.  I like the photo.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events