Friday Fun: Magic Eyes

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2018

For this week Friday Fun I propose a real fun.. some magic visual tricks, eyes and brain training :) I hope you enjoy it!

Drink-coffee.jpg

When I was young I really enjoyed brain tricks and playing with optical illusion. Some of them are really cool and mind blowing.

I am wondering if any of you tried to understand how your brain works or have your favorite illusions. If so please share them with everyone in the comment below!

I have couple of them to get you going. Lets start with a easy one..

What you see on this image? :)

ClrPBImWQAAyJmu.jpg

or this ..

old-couple.jpg

OK, that was easy.. ;) .. Lets try another one.

How many legs do I have? ;)

b33bddc1-e12a-4bd7-8112-4bc44cda133d-2060x1556.jpeg

Five? Six? :)  Still easy? :) .. Try then to count black dots.. Are there any? :P

blackballs_1120775i.jpg

OK, that was only warm you up. There are many that I can share with you but lastly as a final I am wondering how many of you would recognize what is hidden on this specific picture.

atlassian_3d.png

To give you a tip how to "read" this image you need to hold the picture against your nose and focus on the background of the picture. Do not move your eyes and try not to blink. This will look blurry as you are "diverging" your eyes. Slowly pull the picture away from your face while staring into the background. Once the image pops out in 3D, you can look around the picture and enjoy. If you will see if you are a true illusion master! :)

You did it? :) Wow! Awesome! As a bonus you are now ready to face famous Akinator. Will you beat him or he will be able to guess about who you are thinking at the moment? :)

http://en.akinator.com/

Please share your result and other brain and optical illusions if you have any favorite.

34 comments

Comment

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

@Mirek It is too difficult for me :)

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2018

Do not give up! :) You can do it! :)

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

@MirekI see nothing!!!!!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

No, I can not see anything on the last one. No matter how hard I try :)

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

Here is another one. What colour is the dress)

The_Dress_(viral_phenomenon).png

Like Fadoua likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 17, 2018

IT IS BLUE AND BLACK, PEOPLE, AND THERE IS NO OTHER ANSWER.

<LOCKS THREAD>

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

hahahahaha

Leslie Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2018

It's white and gold!

Like Debrenee Fisher likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 17, 2018

@Leslie Lee how could you!?!?!?!?!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2018

It is a really terrible photo!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

... huh, don't understand that. It's a bad photo of a dress, is there anything else I can't see? 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

The problem is about colours.

Some people can see white and gold and some can see blue and black:) I can see white and gold.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

ah, I also see white and gold

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

Thats interesting! :)

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

white and gold for sure

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

The dress is blue and black.  What we perceive varies though, and the background lighting, both in the picture and around you can skew it one way or the other.

I initially saw it as blue and black, but the next time I saw it, on a different device with totally different lighting conditions, it had swapped, and I usually see it as gold and white (although the white does seem tinged blue).

One of the more interesting things I read about it was that night-owls (like me) are more likely to see blue and black than morning people.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 18, 2018

I wish just once I could see the white and gold! I can't though. Because the dress is blue and black....

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

For me too :)

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

I have always seen this as White and Gold!!!!

THAT IS VERY BLUE.

Kevin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2018

Who's wearing the dress: Yanni or Laurel?

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

I usually see pale blue and gold....I know....I'm weird....

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2018

Relax your eyes and Atlassian will come to the rescue! 

Like Mirek likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2018

Computer would tell you which color is that dress :)

image.png

Like Deleted user likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2018

@Mirek, Ha... that's cheating. ;-)

Deleted user December 19, 2018

@Mirek Very resourceful :) 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

@Mirek - I didn't think I still had the ability to see the magic picture, but then I did it and had this giddy moment of being a kid again. 

Another trick I use besides what you said to hold up to your nose is cross your eyes slightly and then let them go without focusing too much.

I swear it sounds complicated until you just 'get it'.

I love this Friday fun post!!

Like Mirek likes this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

The akinator beat me! Bow to our robot overlords. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 17, 2018

This is how I do it too -- the cross eye thing. And I can see it! And it's so coool!

Like Mirek likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

Glad that you like it :) .. it took some time to create it but I think the result is awesome :)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

Yes, it is awesome, @Mirek. I recognized the sign, but not the text. But I have a feeling about it...

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

@Mirek how did you create the 3D magic eye?? So cool! reminds me of my childhood where I had entire books full of these.

Like Payne likes this
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

The black dots really threw me!!

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

oh Wow!  That last one is sooo coool!  Been a long time since I have looked at those, took a bit to get it to come in focus, especially on a monitor!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

These are some excellent illustrations of just how weird a human's perception systems can be. 

I'm quite fond of the the maid/crone one, because it has a very unusual effect on some people - we see both at the same time.  I think it's weird because the more geometrical ones like the Necker cube don't do it.  I see the cube one way or the other, but maid/crone is immediately both.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 17, 2018

Woah. I was like "oh, there's a maid/crone one?" I could only see it as a maid before. Then scrolled up and totally saw the crone!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

Gotcha! :) .. Not anyone see both at first look ;)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 17, 2018

Now I can't see the crone anymore! I also can't un-see the faces in the one below it. 

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

Great one! I had a recent chat with friends about that, so knew most of it but still had a few new ones! Really enjoy those!

Cheers

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

Share with us your favorite please :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 17, 2018

spinning_ballerina.gif

Here is the spinning dancer. Is she spinning clockwise, or counterclockwise?

Like Veronique DUFOUR likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

clockwise :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 17, 2018

For me too. Now the question is -- can you get her to spin the other way? :)

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

Nope :) Still clockwise

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 17, 2018

(If not, the Wikipedia page can help.)

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2018

Usually can get her to alternate but it is not working today, she is stuck moving anti-clockwise. I blame it on hurting my eyes and brain trying to see that damn Magic Eye. Their magic still eludes me after all these years.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

This is crazy, she suddenly changed the direction...

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
May 17, 2018

I felt better now that I have seen her move both directions today but I can't seem to control it. Grrr!

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

My brain only wants her to go counterclockwise, can't get her to go in the other direction....ahh

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

@carolyn french - The switch happens for me at the moment, the hair isn't visible for a moment. 

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

That helped- now I see the other direction!

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

can get her to switch, clockwise to counter clockwise pretty easily, getting her to switch back take some effort though

Like LarryBrock likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2018

she spins counter-clockwise down-under.

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

This really weird.  First I was seeing counter-clockwise until I looked at her pivot-foot, then it switched to clockwise.  The next couple of times, I saw clockwise when I arrived and then after blinking a couple of times, the rotation went counter-clockwise.  A truly great illusion - thanks @Monique vdB !!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 21, 2020

@LarryBrock I ran across this the other day, it lets you control the direction of spinning by looking at the left or right versions!

gifspin.gif

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

Omg @Monique vdB I love it!

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2020

Wow, absolutely amazing!  I'd love to know the science behind how this works.  Thanks @Monique vdB !

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
May 17, 2018

Woohoo! I defeated the Akinator.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 17, 2018

I didn't. Elizabeth Bennet was too obvious!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

Try with someone else again ;)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 19, 2018

Alkinator beat me again!

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 11.11.40 AM.png

Like Fadoua likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 21, 2020

@Kat Warner I defeated the Akinator! I was thinking of John Ritter and it guessed Red Skelton. I'm guessing because I said yes to "associated with the color red." Little does Akinator know that John Ritter voiced Clifford the Big Red Dog! 

Like Kat Warner likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2018

OK check out another illusion ... What you think about this? :)

magical_optical_illusions_01.jpg

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
May 17, 2018

Oooh - I like that one.

Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

This is art! Very nice!

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

trippy! but very very cool!

Deleted user July 5, 2018

Wow! now that is cool

Like Mirek likes this
Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2018

Excellent post @Mirek it was so crazy and hard for me thanks for share.

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

wow! good one @Mirek.

first one is one of my favorites 

tumblr_muc0id8uKl1rw872io1_1280.jpg

and hay, can anyone guess what else is there in below picture?

images.jpg

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

A tiny hint please? I only see a cat. And I think, this isn't what I should see. 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel No wonder you can't see any thing else there. it's just a regular cat. heee heeeeeeeeee 😄

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

OK if you like animals... :)

magical_optical_illusions_07.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 18, 2018

I also only see the cat! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

Maybe it is going in other direction? ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

Maybe it's Schroedinger's cat?  There and not there at the same time?

(PNG Image, 284 × 177 pixels).png

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 18, 2018

"ALEAVDE" 😆

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

You guysssss... I was just  kidding. There is nothing else in that picture. -_- 

@Mirek no it's going in one direction :D 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- exactly Schroedinger's cat :D

Oh it's funny you all tried finding something else there... 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

@Mirek is it a rabiduck?

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

yeah, correct! :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 19, 2018

@Alana Fernando you totally got me with the cat. I was like "I think it's a cat... but also... a hat?" 🤣

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

That one always messes with me, I see both the Duck and the Rabbit at the same time....

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

I hate pictures like the last one because they don't work for me. Has always been a big disappointment as a kid when everyone else was looking at cool stuff :D But your post is very nice Mirek!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

You need to relax, try one of the hints how to see the picture and you would definitely achieve it! :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

My little sister can only see them when she's had a bit to drink!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2018

@Mirek It has to do with my eyesight/stereo vision, so hard to fix :)

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

@MirekI am unable to see what's on the last picture for real

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

Not everyone see this for the first time, but I hope you can finally do it :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 18, 2018

I can't believe nobody has jumped in with Yanny or Laurel yet. 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

It says "Laurel///////"

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

I'm on team "I don't actually hear Yanny or Laurel". It literally sounds like someone is talking with their mouth full to me and I can't hear either.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2018

I still don't know what's in that last image. All I have succeeded in is giving myself a headache.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

@Heth SiemerYou need to find the best technique for you. I do not say that it is easy if someone is facing that kind of images for the first time. I hope you will finally see what is hidden.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2018

I think because I have issues telling the difference between similar colors, it's not really going to work. This wouldn't be the first optical illusion like this that I can't see.

Scott Grieder
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2018

Hmmmm....

futurama-notsureif-optical-illusion.gif

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

More than a GIF than Image ;)

Emily Errico June 21, 2018

When I have too much coffee, illusions (or non-illusions) like these make me so anxious. I can't keep my eyes still enough in one spot to determine if I'm moving or the picture is moving or if it's both/neither. Ah!

Deleted user July 5, 2018

I hovered my cursor over the image and the file extension appeared. Does this mean I win?! :D

Like Mirek likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2018

Cross your eyes and see a familiar face :)

magical_optical_illusions_03.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 19, 2018

It works if I squint!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2018

@MirekMichael Jackson?

Like Mirek likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2018

Yep :)

Paul G May 19, 2018

What do you see when you look at this picture?

4737A09E-D930-4BE5-9E9C-46BF164A1493.jpeg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 19, 2018

@Paul G ahahahahahaa 🤣 🤣 🤣

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

:D

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 20, 2018

This audio illusion blew my mind today and of course the first thingI thought of was this thread: Brainstorm or Green Needle?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
May 20, 2018

Or 'grain storm'

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2018

Which one is bigger?bigger.jpg

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2018

The one above :) .. This below do not have a leg ;)

Carol Jones June 1, 2018

Shoe.jpg

Here's another one that has my family split :)

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2018

Depends on monitor on which is displayed :) .. I see some combination of turquoise and very light gray.

Carol Jones June 1, 2018

I also see the green/blue and gray.  Others see pink and white.  :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 1, 2018

I definitely see pink and white!!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2018

Green and gray, definitely!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 1, 2018

It's like I don't even know you people.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

@Monique vdB I'm with you...

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Sadly you cannot get a screenshot what your eyes "see" and share with us :)

Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

Green and gray obviously ;-)

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2019

turquoise and gray.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

Mint Color and Grey is what I am seeing

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

pink!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

Whoaa.. One of the coolest floors I have seen :) Maybe a new idea for entrance in the office? :D

tile-1.jpg

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

There is a feeling of surfing on the sea

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2018

I think I'd definitely stumble! O_O

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

Ísafjör∂ur (not sure how to pronounce it :)), a town in Northern Iceland, came up with a clever way to get drivers to pay attention. Crosswalk that appears 3D. Pretty cool :)

zebracrossing.jpg

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

That's a good idea

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2019

This is really cool!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

And this is from real life :) .. Can You Figure out This Dog Optical Illusion? :)

opticalillusion-770x405.jpg

Like # people like this
Steph
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2018

Ha! I love that last one. Very on-brand. :) 

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

Another Dog illusion Mirek20180612_203519.png

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
June 12, 2018

This is great!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

Hahahaha.. nice! :D

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events